Znick

Poll on Age Mechanic

Should we keep the aging mechanic?  

215 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like it?

• Yes, I LOVE IT!
    • No, IT SUCKS!

8 hours ago, Adfax said:

And lastly.. It isn't a very friendly mechanic towards people who literally can't play as often as others. All they'll get is an endless stream of chores, and do not get to do any of the stuff they might want to do because you have them constantly running around for some random spawn.

Taking out the age mechanic fixes all of this however... So the choice is obvious.

you only age when you play the game. If you take a couple weeks off you do not age. 

You accelerate age by dying often. So you will age 6 months when you die.  So you will want to pay attention to your vitals and be more careful. 

To me as long as they don't make it permadeath when you reach 100 it's fine. 

What I think is shortsighted of the Devs right now is implementing components of the Age mechanic before all the options are in.  Allowing us to do the fountain of Youth quest is great, but the Old Age debuff should not be in at this point.

I'd take the Breeding with Crew members option in heartbeat till I'm in a better position to do the Fountain of Youth quest.

On 1/20/2019 at 8:57 AM, UDO said:

as all the age mechanics are not in the game yet then a pretty premature poll 

there will be other ways to maintain youth . 

Then it should NOT have been added until it was all completed because as it is currently it is pretty freaking irritating and makes me want to punch the devs!!!  If they would just honestly play their own game for a few hours they would see all of the crap that they are doing wrong or half-arsed that makes the game extremely broken or monotonous. For instance, if they would actually finish the skill trees before they add new crap like the "Fountain of Youth". There are so many skills right now in the trees that don't make a difference to gameplay or just don't work altogether. Let's focus on the skills first.

Edited by vaylain

Aging needs to be disabled until we can give birth to our children. then and ONLY then Will the whole age mechanic be worth it. but even still im not sure why anyone would want to give birth instead of getting a perm buff. do our stats somewhat get based on to the children? for instance a child gets a 10% bonus to its base stats that the parent had?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, XCman said:

you only age when you play the game. If you take a couple weeks off you do not age. 

You accelerate age by dying often. So you will age 6 months when you die.  So you will want to pay attention to your vitals and be more careful. 

To me as long as they don't make it permadeath when you reach 100 it's fine. 

What I think is shortsighted of the Devs right now is implementing components of the Age mechanic before all the options are in.  Allowing us to do the fountain of Youth quest is great, but the Old Age debuff should not be in at this point.

I'd take the Breeding with Crew members option in heartbeat till I'm in a better position to do the Fountain of Youth quest.

It has no place in an online game as dying isn't necessarily under our full control...server lag, players using exploits, crashes, buggy code, erratic and broken AI, getting stuck in the mesh, falling through the mesh, player ping deferential, desyncing, etc... Eating balanced meals and watching out for predators is one thing but why should we get punished for the kinds of deathly events that happen consistently and beyond our control? I play video games for fun not for toil and punishment!

Edited by vaylain
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, XCman said:

I like it. However I think the Old Age debuff is a little premature when not all the elements are implemented. 

• You can continue on with your Legacy by breeding with a Crew member or player. Valid option but not implemented yet. 
  • Find the Fountain of Youth. Yes it is not practical to solo, but it's not meant to be. It's in the Ruins.  Keep it, but it shouldn't be the ONLY option to keep your skills or level. 

I do have some questions about your Legacy character.  Do you start over level wise? Lose 10 levels? half?  Because technically you are starting a new character, but the point was to not start a complete new character.

Old Age - I hope you don't die, I see the Old Age debuff as incentive to find the Fountain of Youth or create a Legacy character, but I don't think it is fair to allow the permadeath and just let your character die. You can make the Old Age debuff a little more severe when you hit 100 and I'd be fine with it.  yes the Old Age debuff sucks, but that's the point! it's to get people to do the quest or make a Legacy character to keep playing. 

So I say keep it, but remove the Old Age debuff till all the options are implemented.  

Right... But WHY do you have to force people to do the quest?

Really ask yourself that. We understand all of what you're saying, but it is all for a reason that is just arbitrary. Go here to that place just because.

Other chores in the game actually lead you to being able to do things you want; you're building towards something... But this? This just lets you continue with what you already have. Oh, except you get a buff, a buff that will break the game when new players have no chance of competing against those who've stacked their buff countless times just because they started earlier.

Bad design. It isn't fun; and gets in the way of things the player might choose or want to do. 

Edited by Tina Toothpick
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, XCman said:

I do not think this is true, or were you speaking of things that will be implemented in the future to round out this aging mechanic?  I play Atlas with my husband, who is vastly more experienced at this type of game than I.  I die at least twice as often as he does, and yet we are still the same age.  In fact, he is a couple years older than I am, as he plays occasionally when I am not online.  By your claim, I would be at least 50% older than he is?  This is not the case at all.  I do not believe dying has any affect on age at all right now.

Voting to remove, but here's some feedback if the devs are reading.

I enjoy the age mechanic because it feels immersive, and it's a pretty segway into doing the fountain of youth for a nice reward. But I think we age far to quickly, and while the debuff for being an old man or lady is a nice touch- Because lets face it, you shouldn't be as strong and resilient as you were in the good ol' days, from a gameplay perspective it feels intrusive.

Now I'm well aware that we'll be given other options in order to 'live on' as they say, but it's not in the game yet. So I suppose when it makes it into the game, that will be super cool. But for now, I just feel like I'm waiting to die of old age so I can either
A) Have my crewmates come reinvite my brand new character to my company, and level all over again. Or
B) Do all those things, except the leveling part because I didn't lose levels.

Hoping for the latter, but I guess if not, that's just how the cookie crumbles? If I had it my way, I'd say I'd just get rid of the debuff for the last few years of the character's life. 20 percent bump to all stats permanently is already a pretty enticing incentive to go brave perils for phat lootz. I don't think you really need to further that desire by making everything else more difficult unless they do that thing.

How is it intrusive?
Well, it feels like I now need to stop whatever I'm doing to go out and find this sucker and drink deep or I'm going to lose all my progress on a character I've been slowly building over the past month or so. Maybe that was the feeling that was meant, but that's my opinion on the matter.

57 minutes ago, cloWandering said:

I do not think this is true, or were you speaking of things that will be implemented in the future to round out this aging mechanic?  I play Atlas with my husband, who is vastly more experienced at this type of game than I.  I die at least twice as often as he does, and yet we are still the same age.  In fact, he is a couple years older than I am, as he plays occasionally when I am not online.  By your claim, I would be at least 50% older than he is?  This is not the case at all.  I do not believe dying has any affect on age at all right now.

I have a friend that started the same time as me and they have a higher age than me because they kill themselves to save themselves from dealing with the vitamin mechanic. 

Me, I'm a glutton for survival games and their myriad of rules and I choose not to, and I'm younger than them by 8 years.  While I don't believe a Dev has directly said this is a thing.  this is an observed behavior I have noticed in Atlas by playing it. 

1 hour ago, Tina Toothpick said:

Right... But WHY do you have to force people to do the quest?

Really ask yourself that. We understand all of what you're saying, but it is all for a reason that is just arbitrary. Go here to that place just because.

Other chores in the game actually lead you to being able to do things you want; you're building towards something... But this? This just lets you continue with what you already have. Oh, except you get a buff, a buff that will break the game when new players have no chance of competing against those who've stacked their buff countless times just because they started earlier.

Bad design. It isn't fun; and gets in the way of things the player might choose or want to do. 

It's still optional, you don't have to do the fountain of Youth.  Currently dying is not enabled.  Roleplay wise it makes sense that you would get weaker by a debuff.  

Now does this cross a line for some people because it makes the game too close to real life? I'm sure it does.  And that is why there are options to cheat death and get around the debuff. 
You can go further still and play on a private server where you can just turn it off. Playing on a Official server though you will not have that option to turn off. 

I think what most people are upset about is they got used to the features of an unfinished game and their experience is being restricted as they add the planned features that were going to be in the game from the beginning.  When I learned of Atlas I was fascinated by it's Age mechanic. It's your right not to like it and complain to have it removed. 

The stacking mechanic is not any different than ARK's level cap increase.  it's to keep people interested in playing once they have reached end game.  And 'Actually' dying in the game has never been confirmed as a feature.  it's just speculation by the community. But I'm willing to entertain what they do with this feature! 

This is exactly the game mechanic perfect for the upcoming cash shop. 

3 hours ago, vaylain said:

It has no place in an online game as dying isn't necessarily under our full control...server lag, players using exploits, crashes, buggy code, erratic and broken AI, getting stuck in the mesh, falling through the mesh, player ping deferential, desyncing, etc... Eating balanced meals and watching out for predators is one thing but why should we get punished for the kinds of deathly events that happen consistently and beyond our control? I play video games for fun not for toil and punishment!

You die already from server lag, getting stuck in structures  and bugs. Age implies death, but I'll say it again they never actually said you would die. That's just comes up in conversation when you talk about age.  
I do think that the Age debuff being added before it is fully implemented is wholly shortsighted of the Dev team to implement before all the features have been added. 

On 1/21/2019 at 9:03 PM, XCman said:

It's still optional, you don't have to do the fountain of Youth.  Currently dying is not enabled.  Roleplay wise it makes sense that you would get weaker by a debuff.  

Now does this cross a line for some people because it makes the game too close to real life? I'm sure it does.  And that is why there are options to cheat death and get around the debuff. 
You can go further still and play on a private server where you can just turn it off. Playing on a Official server though you will not have that option to turn off. 

I think what most people are upset about is they got used to the features of an unfinished game and their experience is being restricted as they add the planned features that were going to be in the game from the beginning.  When I learned of Atlas I was fascinated by it's Age mechanic. It's your right not to like it and complain to have it removed. 

The stacking mechanic is not any different than ARK's level cap increase.  it's to keep people interested in playing once they have reached end game.  And 'Actually' dying in the game has never been confirmed as a feature.  it's just speculation by the community. But I'm willing to entertain what they do with this feature! 

No, it isn't optional. 

Well, it is optional if you don't care about your character, or a debuff that completely gimps you, or your character looking ugly. So it isn't really optional.

The options to cheat it are probably the worst game design i've ever seen; and it just makes you ask the question "what does an age mechanic bring to the game?".

I suggest you ask yourself that. You're fascinated by it, but i suspect that might be due to not actually really thinking deep enough about what it actually is. I ask you this : what are you fascinated by?... It is just a bump map that progresses over a month; and a debuff for the final 10 years. WOOOW!!! So fascinating! 

I'd be much more fascinated by actually being able to keep my character looking the way i want them, and not having to partake in the torture that is the run for the FOY.

Remove the mechanic, it isn't needed.

• Like 1

I like the concept, it's just way too fast. My guy has aged 80 years in a month. I feel like that's about 10x too fast. If I had to guess I would say that they have sped it up for testing purposes. After all, that's what we are doing-- Testing the game.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MagicPuncher said:

I like the concept, it's just way too fast. My guy has aged 80 years in a month. I feel like that's about 10x too fast. If I had to guess I would say that they have sped it up for testing purposes. After all, that's what we are doing-- Testing the game.

Fast or slow, it would still be an annoyance. As someone else pointed out, the problem isn't how often you have to deal with it, but the task to deal with it itself.

So, it turns out they thought they'd make the age mechanic worse, instead of better.. Great.

Now you not longer have the option to look young whenever you want, you can only drink from the fountain at 90.. 

I sometimes think they're purposely trying to kill their own game.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Adfax said:

So, it turns out they thought they'd make the age mechanic worse, instead of better.. Great.

Now you not longer have the option to look young whenever you want, you can only drink from the fountain at 90.. 

I sometimes think they're purposely trying to kill their own game.

idd.

They've just ignore the majority of the playerbase.. How dumb.. They lost the bulk of players after the FOY patch, and have said nothing in regards to in. They put in a patch that makes it even worse.

Edited by Tina Toothpick
  • Like 1