Znick

Poll on Age Mechanic

Should we keep the aging mechanic?  

215 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like it?

• Yes, I LOVE IT!
    • No, IT SUCKS!

a buff to weight , hp, stamina isnt a bad thing ? makes it worth the effort ,what u are all forgetting is everyone is over 90 so there was always going to be a mad rush at start ,

Everyone voting that they like this mechanic can't see the woods for the trees.

They're looking at the small picture, thinking that it is adding more to the game; instead of looking at the grander scheme.

Imagine if you went to work and your boss kept telling you to do another thing, and another thing, and another thing. .You get paid the same, but you have to do more and more and more; and you had less and less free time.

Would you enjoy that? Because that is what you're asking for when all is said and done.. Oh, and you're also asking to look hideous whilst it happens.

The game is broken into two parts : 

1. Things the player does to do the things the player actually wants to do

2. Things the player actually wants to do.

If you put too much in the former category, people will see the game as a chore.. A hassle.. Too much in the latter, and you negate all risk, and by extension, all reward, and people will get bored if things are too readily available and accessible.

The fountain of youth isn't something the players want to do, but have to do to do things they do want to do, like not start a new character by force, or deal with a badly thought out debuff. They want to do the things they want to do in the game, without feeling therer is a gun pointed at their character's head constantly.

It is like you've taken our characters hostage, and you'll kill them if we don't hunt this fountain. I don't want to feel like a hostage; trapped playing this game. That kind of pressure just makes me want to quit, because losing my character actually matters to me; one day I might get bored of the game, only to take a break... But knowing my character is gone will just make me less likely to return.

And lastly.. It isn't a very friendly mechanic towards people who literally can't play as often as others. All they'll get is an endless stream of chores, and do not get to do any of the stuff they might want to do because you have them constantly running around for some random spawn.

Taking out the age mechanic fixes all of this however... So the choice is obvious.

Edited by Adfax
  • Like 1

I had to vote yes as you had no Middelburg ground option..

At the moment it's not great but it could be a good game mechanic if they flesh it out more..

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Znick said:

Saying "nothing will happen" isn't true. Click on "I" and look at your stats if you're over 90... you have at least a 10% debuff to health, HP regen, stamina and stamina regen... wait a few days and it'll be worse.

Z

I know all about the debuff, I do pay attention. Please don't take what I say out of context. We were discussing the old age perma death at 100 yrs. That is what I was saying "nothing will happen" which is true and fact.

Wait a few days and it will get worse? It won't get worse, the debuff will stay the same, my 97 yr old Pathfinder is evidence of that. Unless you know a fact that I don't?

In the current implementation I can only say no to the age mechanic. But this is due to a few factors.

1. Extreme speed of aging. People didn´t even play a month yet.

2. The Fountain of Youth difficulty and movement speed.

3. No heir implementation yet and hence no way for many to get rid of the debuff.

4. Permadeath. The debuff alone should be more than enough incentive to do either Fountain of Youth or heirs.

If the 4 above got fixed, then I likely be happy to keep aging.

I don't mind the age mechanic, but my two issues are these: #1 They should have set everyone's age back to 20 when they implemented the fountain, and #2 they should either get rid of the debuff or put the fountain in a non endgame area.

Just now, Tezcatlipoca said:

Is there any reaction from the devs about this Topic? Or did the just ignore all these voices?

Well it was only posted yesterday which was a Sunday so not even 24hrs since the poll was created.

14 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Well it was only posted yesterday which was a Sunday so not even 24hrs since the poll was created.

I also meant more the whole topic. They must have noticed the Shitstorm meanwhile, even if it is still Sunday.

Getting VALID informations about the location of that stupid fountain,

reaching that stupid fountain and getting rid of that stupid debuff was the most frustrating thing i ave ever done in my over 30 years of gaming.

It was like a tumor growing behind your eyeballs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

I also meant more the whole topic. They must have noticed the Shitstorm meanwhile, even if it is still Sunday.

Oh i'm absolutely sure they are aware of the storm it has caused. I'm sure they are talking about it behind closed doors, but just because there is no public statement on it yet doesn't mean they are ignoring it.

13 hours ago, octobergamer said:

The age mechanic is a wonderful thing, Once all of it's effects are ingame it will be really cool. People don't realize not all the features are in the game yet, you are buying into Alpha. Later on, the legacy mechanic will come in and the aging system will all make sense to people and will come with benefits.

Really?  What really cool things is the aging system going to bring us?  You didn't give any details.  Will the cool things be all pirate-y,  maybe something to do with treasure or fabulous land claims and building or getting together with other players to make a town and defeat incoming NPC pirate invaders?

I play on pve.  Let's say my goal is to find a good bit of land, raise my crafting and cooking skills and....oops, wait a minute, I've got to repair my raft.  Still in Lawless..things take damage.

Ok, so I want to raise my cooking and crafting skills and sail the world finding rare...hang on a sec..vitamins are dropping, have to go cook something..

So...finding rare treasures, and I'm gonna open a shop where everyone....oh hell..just a minute..need to start a fire

where everybody will come from miles around to stock up on supplies and...well crap..30 day timer's up..now I have to go halfway round the world and defeat some endgame content  or breed like some sort of freaking animal with some squicky NPC (which , as an older married woman, I have to say is one of the creepiest game decisions ever), and produce a freakish baby that I have to raise which only has 30 days to live..

Well, maybe some day I'll get to be a scavenger pirate with a kickass treasure shop.  Maybe one of these cool things you're talking about will help with that?

• Like 2

i did the quest in 10 mins, i am solo, I live on lawless, I had the age debuff for a couple of day's, not that bad. Listen guys yes I could say its EA, I could say they are poor in implementation, I could say that the game sucks because I don't like playing it.

When it comes down to brass tacks, If you don't like it go play another game and check back, go play a private server, they are Linux now so there should be larger ones coming online. and for all you people out saying "i have 300+ hours a nice base, tames, ships, crews, max level. I cant quit, I have too much into this game to just change to private." STFU and go do something else.  

Here is the deal, if you can code a better game, Go for it. If you think you can do a better job than they can, apply for a position, if you think you can patch better than apply for a job, if you think you can implement features better than apply for a position. All I see all day in the forums, is a bunch of people that like to bitch and complain in the normal same ole internet meme way. 

How about this, you want to help the game, try not raging, try to submit creative ideas. You think something could be done better than submit and post a well worded, thought out, detailed description of what could be done better." BUT BUT BUT the devs are not responding to me! 😞 , They don't even listen to their customers." STFU, if you talked to someone IRL like you do on the forums, you either would get no service, or you would get your ass kicked. 

Now STFU and go play or find a private server that caters to your play  style.......

16 minutes ago, Khalista Flintlock said:

if you talked to someone IRL like you do on the forums, you either would get no service, or you would get your ass kicked. 

Now STFU and go play or find a private server that caters to your play  style.......

Irony?

Edited by Fefu
typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Khalista

I thought so. :classic_cool:

So how did you manage in 10 minutes. It takes me longer to sail a sloop from the closest freeport to the Fountain location. Did you have a big group to clear the adds? Maybe you just followed a big group? Got lucky? A couple of players I know tried for hours. One managed finally to survive following a big group while the other didn't.

It was in a cell next to free port during 2x, takes 2 mins of farming to get ramshackle, 4 mins to sail there, and about 4 mins to run in. died as soon as i got the fountain. I also have advanced hand harvest. it was very easy. the lag was a little annoying but, it was very easy. I should have taken video. The cave was clear for the most part, and there where plenty of people. I may have gotten lucky but the lag did not seem to bad. It was also 3 am........ most of the time when I am online there are lots of Chinese on, so that may have had a little to do with it as well....

Either way, I work a full time job, manage finances for the home, cook, clean, watch 2 kids, and I still had the time to do this. If a person that is solo, with "no time to play" (I guess I shouldn't say that, I think i am pushing 300 hours) can do it, than so can anyone else. I am lvl 50 and most of my points are in health. 

Also here is a thought, since i have level 1 buff, when i get old age again, does it counteract the 10% debuff that will happen? If not, I think it should. I think the hardest that it should ever affect your stats is the first time you do it. Sure it should still take the 10% debuff. Lets say, its the second time you are doing it, your already buffed +10% so your total debuff should be 0 and your only worry should be death. (once child bearing is added). To me it would make sense that they would go that way. 

27 minutes ago, Fefu said:

@Khalista

I thought so. :classic_cool:

So how did you manage in 10 minutes. It takes me longer to sail a sloop from the closest freeport to the Fountain location. Did you have a big group to clear the adds? Maybe you just followed a big group? Got lucky? A couple of players I know tried for hours. One managed finally to survive following a big group while the other didn't.

To me it's just the same as when all the players who were lucky enough to find land early, come into the forums and call everyone else lazy for not having any land.  Nobody seems able to stand in anyone else's shoes anymore.  I thought about going for the stupid fountain, but  being one of the unlucky landless, I had just spent a few days getting ready to sail around the world trying to find a claim and was up freezing my butt off in the tundra.  Checked the forums and saw the problems a lot of people were having getting to it and figured I wasn't going to scrap my plans for that.  By the time I do get to go, I won't have the cover of a mob of players and the alphas won't all be lagged out, so I doubt I'll get there.  The alternative is just living with the debuff in a polar region somewhere, since there seems to be no other land.

57 minutes ago, Khalista Flintlock said:

Here is the deal, if you can code a better game, Go for it. If you think you can do a better job than they can, apply for a position, if you think you can patch better than apply for a job, if you think you can implement features better than apply for a position. All I see all day in the forums, is a bunch of people that like to bitch and complain in the normal same ole internet meme way. 

How about this, you want to help the game, try not raging, try to submit creative ideas. You think something could be done better than submit and post a well worded, thought out, detailed description of what could be done better." BUT BUT BUT the devs are not responding to me! 😞 , They don't even listen to their customers." STFU, if you talked to someone IRL like you do on the forums, you either would get no service, or you would get your ass kicked. 

It's not about coding, it's about design, and yes, I've been submitting a number of creative ideas, as have a few others.  They can use them or not, although I think it's probably time some of these game companies stopped stealing people's mods and ideas and started paying for them.  I have no problem with anyone raging intelligently and creatively on the forums.    A good bit of sarcasm and mockery is appropriate for some of this stuff.   There's also a lot of incoherent, badly reasoned juvenile rage going around.  It goes with the territory.  We know that, the devs know that, and anyone with any sense either makes a joke out of it or ignores it.  Does no good to have another bunch of people running around just telling everyone to STFU.

• Like 1

So my friends got unlucky mostly or maybe the time was a factor. Anyway, I am still 64 in game so the debuff is not for another week.

Personally I am against any kind of permanent character stat debuff or buff. The buff stacking every 3 weeks is shortsighted at best. I say that from a PvP perspective because from a year on, the game is going to hit a wall trying to entice newbies to join the game where they will be even weaker starting than other MMORPGs. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Fefu said:

So my friends got unlucky mostly or maybe the time was a factor. Anyway, I am still 64 in game so the debuff is not for another week.

Personally I am against any kind of permanent character stat debuff or buff. The buff stacking every 3 weeks is shortsighted at best. I say that from a PvP perspective because from a year on, the game is going to hit a wall trying to entice newbies to join the game where they will be even weaker starting than other MMORPGs. 

Exactly. The stacking buff is an extremely stupid idea, with no thought of how little chance new players will stand against day 1 players. I don't even play on PvP, and this still bugs the shit out of me.

I like it. However I think the Old Age debuff is a little premature when not all the elements are implemented. 

• You can continue on with your Legacy by breeding with a Crew member or player. Valid option but not implemented yet. 
  • Find the Fountain of Youth. Yes it is not practical to solo, but it's not meant to be. It's in the Ruins.  Keep it, but it shouldn't be the ONLY option to keep your skills or level. 

I do have some questions about your Legacy character.  Do you start over level wise? Lose 10 levels? half?  Because technically you are starting a new character, but the point was to not start a complete new character.

Old Age - I hope you don't die, I see the Old Age debuff as incentive to find the Fountain of Youth or create a Legacy character, but I don't think it is fair to allow the permadeath and just let your character die. You can make the Old Age debuff a little more severe when you hit 100 and I'd be fine with it.  yes the Old Age debuff sucks, but that's the point! it's to get people to do the quest or make a Legacy character to keep playing. 

So I say keep it, but remove the Old Age debuff till all the options are implemented.