Znick

Poll on Age Mechanic

Should we keep the aging mechanic?  

215 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like it?

• Yes, I LOVE IT!
    • No, IT SUCKS!

1 hour ago, octobergamer said:

The age mechanic is a wonderful thing, Once all of it's effects are ingame it will be really cool. People don't realize not all the features are in the game yet, you are buying into Alpha. Later on, the legacy mechanic will come in and the aging system will all make sense to people and will come with benefits.

What benefits are those? If I'm getting this right, a player that does not chase the Fountain will be able to pass his lineage to his 'son' and play with that new character. The question is will that 'son' inherit his father's levels or will he start all over again at Level 1. If it's the latter then not chasing the Fountain every 4 weeks means rerolling your character from scratch every 4 weeks.

Some people might like that kind of pressure but my experience in MMOs tells me that very few like to lose a bit of XP - losing the lot every 4 weeks is whole other ball game. That's close to permadeath every 4 weeks. There is a niche for that kind of gameplay but it's very restricted. While I might have been up to it when I was younger, I have more important things in life to do other than babysit a pirate.

I'm playing PVE at the moment but I would be concerned if I was playing PVP. Permanent stacking buffs will mean that some pirates will have doubled their stats in about 10 months from now, ie if they didn't take a vacation and lost the Fountain in those days to come back to a level 1 son. First comers to an MMORPG always have some advantages - it's part of the territory. Good games try to level those advantages like for example EvE. It is normal for weaker characters to take down stronger ones just by choosing the right strategies in that game. This will be really hard to achieve with permanent buff stacking - a 2 year old experienced fully buffed character would probably be able to take down 10 normal opponents without a sweat. There is a reason why good games do not award permanent buff stats to characters. I fear the devs are rolling out eye candy without a thought to the longevity of the game.

I admit that I was enjoying myself through the lag, the bugs, the alphas and everything else. This change might be the one that convinces me this game is not suitable for my lifestyle. My brother has already left which lessens the bond I have with this game. For now I will wait for the death/son/daughter mechanic to be implemented and then I will decide. I sincerely hope the devs revert the permanent stat buffs and debuffs. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, UDO said:

as all the age mechanics are not in the game yet then a pretty premature poll 

there will be other ways to maintain youth . 

That it aint! its on my server had to make a new Toon just to get rid of the buff

Why the hell do people care so much about this? When I first saw it I thought ah something new, nice. Sure it’s still pretty messed up now and to add aging effects before they gave us a chance go reproduce is a pretty stupid move. But I see this as something that isn’t such a bad thing if everything gets worked out. And with that I mean slower aging ingame and a fix for the fountains. 

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Percieval said:

Why the hell do people care so much about this? When I first saw it I thought ah something new, nice. Sure it’s still pretty messed up now and to add aging effects before they gave us a chance go reproduce is a pretty stupid move. But I see this as something that isn’t such a bad thing if everything gets worked out. And with that I mean slower aging ingame and a fix for the fountains. 

For many people, aesthetic customization is a BIG part of a game. Like people in warframe joke 'Fashionframe is end-game', this is true of many MMOs. Even taking buffs and debuffs and breeding systems aside, the dynamic hair growth, aging etc, all serve to make your character's appearance a constantly moving target.

Want to play an old crone or veteran pirate? - Well tough shit, you have to wait 40-50 years, then you get to do that for 10-20 years before you gotta roll a new character or pop that fountain of youth. Want a fresh faced, long haired young bishounen vagabond? - Again, tough shit, you'll only be young for a week or two before the crow's feet start to sink in.

There is almost nobody for whom the aging is a positive feature. For fashionistas it's a pain in the ass, for PvP'rs it's an unnecessary diversion, for casuals who just want to play in their own time, their own way, it's nothing but a nuisance. Show me the focus group who said "Man, I hope this game has aging where every month or two I have to do a naked geriatric bum rush of some distant island, to keep my character in top condition!", that made the devs think this was a good design decision.

just let us make the character we want to make and be done with it.

Edited by RyuujinZERO
  • Like 6

Why have a vote on something that is not finished. The game is still under development. Chill a bit.

• Sad 1

It would be kinda okay-ish if we at least had like 12 real months to age to 90 and the fountain quest was really something challenging and kind of legendary that only a few players would even think of doing. 

Right now the LEGENDARY FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH it's just a terrible routine you have to undergo every 3 weeks. The devs didn't even bother to make it interesting, they've just placed the fountain near power stone device hoping we lack imagination to even notice how lame it is.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Asanna said:

This is where I play Devils Advocate and say:

"If you don't like it, find an unofficial that has it turned off."

Devils Advocate is irrelevant, you won't find unofficial servers with a 15x15 server cluster...nor the number of players. Devs chose this path by making it difficult to fully replicate the entire server on a private server, they need to face up to the consequences to reversing features that 80% of the player base doesn't like.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Devils Advocate is irrelevant, you won't find unofficial servers with a 15x15 server cluster...nor the number of players. Devs chose this path by making it difficult to fully replicate the entire server on a private server, they need to face up to the consequences to reversing features that 80% of the player base doesn't like.

Agreed!  On Ark I would ONLY play on an unofficial,  but in this It just doesn't make sense to me playing on maybe a 3x3 grid.  That's just too damn small.  8x8 would be the min. for me

They just need to do a one time age reset and slow the aging process down by 200%   Too damn fast

41 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Contrary: I have the full server grid available to me.  Having all 15x15 up all the time is unnecessary.  I plot a course, and spin up the grid nodes I need.

However, it is true there isn't the number of players.  Given that I can roam the entire maps without ship docks or other blockades in the way, I don't see this as a bad thing.

However However, they need to face up to the consequences.  Official is unplayable for me.

Edited by Vhalkyrie

If people didn't like the aging mechanic, then why did you buy the game? It says right there on the steam page that there is a aging system. People shouldn't get angry about a system that was announced before launch for the game. It's what they had in mind for the game and eventually it will come with benefits, plus I doubt the developers will remove aging with how far they've gone in making the aging and legacy system. If you didn't want aging in a game, you should have just read the steam page for this game then maybe you wouldn't have had to complain about a mechanic that other people may enjoy.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, UDO said:

How about we just remove it? 

You don't seem to realize you can convolute a game, and as I've pointed out many times, the mechanic in it's current iteration already takes away more than it leaves in the game.

Sometimes less is more. This game would be more if there was less forced labour that doesn't contribute to something players want to do with their free time; like build or explore, or PVP.. 

It needs to be scrapped, and age should be made a slider in the character creator.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, UDO said:

Yep, which will take a lot longer to breed than go to the fountain of youth. Add that in with the debuff and eventual perma death.

yeah the no’s will be even higher 😂😂😂

nothing premature at all. The worst is what hasn’t been added yet 

Have played on official server until now but I have just joined an unofficial server, the ridiculous hard fountain is just unacceptable.

Imagine if after playing WoW for 1 month you got a debuff, a debuff you can only remove in the molten core raid instance. This is basically what the atlas devs did.

This is mechanic is not just somewhat unbalance but it is like a rabbit who must fight 10 rexes, 150 sabertooth cats and 10 Abrams tanks. That rabbit is the solo player.

They really didn't think this through enough and it needs to be removed for now and all reset on age automatically for now.  The idea of putting this thing in one place so there's a ton of lag, trolls, then the creatures to fight against makes things nearly impossible for all the time invested just to try to get the thing.

4 hours ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

No, old age death is not implemented yet. Nothing will happen.

Saying "nothing will happen" isn't true. Click on "I" and look at your stats if you're over 90... you have at least a 10% debuff to health, HP regen, stamina and stamina regen... wait a few days and it'll be worse.

Z

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Znick said:

Saying "nothing will happen" isn't true. Click on "I" and look at your stats if you're over 90... you have at least a 10% debuff to health, HP regen, stamina and stamina regen... wait a few days and it'll be worse.

Z

Yeah, they should just give everyone the age reset for now until they completely revamp how to implement this FOY adventure. I don't mind the idea but definitely not the way it's implemented.

• Like 1

what mechanic ?   there is none.

they pretty much had one in mind maybe and that's whey we, the players, get older but over the last 2 weeks there was quite some concern about aging in game.

did they ever reply to our assumptions ? No.

now they pull the Fountain Of Youth outta their sleeve and sell it to us as the Mechanic to fight aging.

seriously, this solution someone at WC/GS had while having a crap and thinking about the aging problem the community shows concern about.

no matter how much or how little reality they want to have in the game but aging for 60+ years in 750 (server) days, gimme a break.

the fact that they didn't that Fountain any earlier is the indication for the fact that it wasn't there and maybe not even thought of.

turn that aging mechanic off or slow it down drastically. and if they inisist on the fountain than trigger the quest at the age of 60. 90 is just effing ridiculous

1 hour ago, octobergamer said:

If people didn't like the aging mechanic, then why did you buy the game? It says right there on the steam page that there is a aging system. People shouldn't get angry about a system that was announced before launch for the game. It's what they had in mind for the game and eventually it will come with benefits, plus I doubt the developers will remove aging with how far they've gone in making the aging and legacy system. If you didn't want aging in a game, you should have just read the steam page for this game then maybe you wouldn't have had to complain about a mechanic that other people may enjoy.

If you knew anything about the complaints you would know it isn't the agong system itself that is the issue, it's the fact that unless you participate in this forced quest to find the FoY, you take a penalty which negates pretty much all progress you have made on your character this far. Now, if they did like the kraken buff and didn't penalize, but buffed/enhances stats from finding the fountain I don't think you would get nearly as many complaints.

Rather than force a player into content they have no desire to do, the penalty should be removed and a flat buff to all stats given which deminishes the closer the player gets to level 90 again. This encourages the player to seek the FoY out again for the buff, but doesn't force them to in order to maintain the progression they have made to 90.

Also, the FoY should never have been implemented or the penalty without reproduction being in game first.

• Like 3

All I know is 5 of us quit and went to the unofficial servers over this lame mechanic - while I don't disagree with the aging process, the implementation of it sucks - Ill come back when breeding a child is in, then I do not have to go to the stupid foy where I just die over and over again, usually  by chinese than gigantic mobs. I hope the devs listen to this thread b ut not holding out much hope that it will be reversed. Best option will be to give everyone the reversal to 20 and wait to re-introduce the FOY when you can breed children to replace yourself 🙂

• Like 1

I'm so tired of saying people even suggesting the age system be reworked. 

It should just be a character creator slider, and that is it. 

It brings literally nothing to the game.. Nothing. It is a mere chore that detracts from the game. 

"Oh look guys! My character looks older now!" .. What? After a week? Really immersive .. I mean, that is all it is SUPPOSED to add, a more immersive feeling to the game; but it fails even in that regard. Which ultimately just boils down to having to reroll every so often, or do a chore (aka, find the fountain of youth). 

WE HAVE ENOUGH CHORES; DON'T FORCE US TO DO ANOTHER.

Just turning off age altogether is the most immerssive option for this game; the game will not last long enough for us to really see the characters we play noticeably age; if it were scaled immersively; and even if it were scaled that way, would anyone care about a character looking older after 10 years? Utterly pointless.. Remove the fountain, it isn't needed. Keep the buff from the kraken if you want, but don't force people to seek this stupid fountain, or force them to look like prunes. It isn't fun, it is a chore detracting from the game, and it needs to be excised. 

Oh, and don't give people endlessly stacking buffs that make them impossible to hurt for new players.

If people want to reroll their characters? FINE! Give them that option! But don't force the rest of us to have to skirt around people who want that option by killing off our characters.

Edited by Tina Toothpick
  • Like 1