FUBAR_89

Fountain of Youth Suggestion - Make it Craftable or Purchaseable

So first of all I'd like to say that I actually like the ageing mechanic, I like the fact that you actually have to do something to preserve your character, however I think it's clear that trying to get everyone to cram into one server grid to click an "altar-like" item behind an army of max level enemies is not working, so I'd like to suggest 2 alternative options:

Option 1: Make it a Craft able item that has a spoil timer:

This should be very resource intensive, needing equivalent resources to building and planking a Galleon for example, + other items like crystal / salts etc etc.  This FOY item would also require 1 rare item, something like a new item along the lines of an "Army of the Damned Elixir" that is dropped by all levels of AOD ships (drop chance depends on their difficulty level)

This item would have a spoil timer of about 1 hour which would prevent large companies stockpiling them, and would also be active for only about 5-10 minutes once activated in the new Crafting station / altar described below, this would mean that companies would need to co-ordinate with their members when they would be making the FOY so that they could all use it.

Where would you craft this? - This would be craft able at a new FOY "Altar-style" workbench (re-using the existing in-game model from the current system if you like) that is unlocked at the very end of the Medicine skill tree for 10 skill points.  You can also chose to make this altar use 1 of the Elixir items I've described above to craft (in a smithy) + an appropriate level of resources, crystal etc as a one-off cost

This is very much my preferred option of the 2 I've listed here.

Option 2: Make it purchasable with Gold:

I prefer option one, but this is a viable alternative system, even if it does mean locking it behind a pay-wall:  This would need a lot of gold, something along the lines of 1/2 the cost of buying a Dragon, it has to be an achievable purchase for a small group of players (say a company of 2-4 people) to afford within 50% of their lifetime assuming a reasonable level of activity / gameplay for a few hours 4 times a week.

You can then deploy this on company land where like above it will on stay active for 5-10 minutes meaning that again companies will need to co-ordinate with their members when this will be activated.

Either of these systems would prevent the madness of everyone trying to cram into one server at the same time and also means that using the FOY is a viable option for smaller groups of players who stand no chance of getting past the army of high level enemies.  This also removes it from the same locations as people trying to get the power stones, further reducing the server bottleneck problems.

As I say I prefer the crafting option1, because this means that companies cannot stockpile the FOY items, and I feel is more achievable for smaller player groups.  Option 2 would mean that large companies could buy loads of them & stockpile for whenever they wanted to use them which is not great.

If Option 1 doesn't get adopted officially, could someone PLEASE make it as a Mod 🙂  I don't know how to make Mods.

Edited by FUBAR_89
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

either have it spawn on any random island, maybe fresh water source or sell elixirs of youth in freeport - the 10% bonus for 100 gold.  (great option for us solo players)

• Thanks 3

A simple solution is just having the FOY at all of the Relic Islands always.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I cannot even do thiis quest my pc cannot handle the lag of all the people and ships.
And this quests would be so hard solo anyway, and people are sort of forced to do it every time they hit 90 since the debufs are insane!

This is one of the things that might make me quit the game, along with lag, and the T ladder wishle calling down Ai's, and how explosive barreks work at the moment.....

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DexteR Maclean said:

I cannot even do thiis quest my pc cannot handle the lag of all the people and ships.
And this quests would be so hard solo anyway, and people are sort of forced to do it every time they hit 90 since the debufs are insane!

This is one of the things that might make me quit the game, along with lag, and the T ladder wishle calling down Ai's, and how explosive barreks work at the moment.....

A lot in my crew who have been playing since the game dropped are stuck on this because of this exact problem. Just coming into the zone is laggy, because there are so many people there looking for it as well: and, it only gets worse the closer you get to the actual island, between the concentration of players, ships, mobs, and at times pulled bosses. Add in AoD on the way in and being kited in, the inability to set anchor half the time because there are so many ships you literally just can't; and the stupid level of mobs and bosses on the power stone islands that they spawn on (impossible for small companies and single players).. it's discouraging, frustrating, and overall just plain dumb that FOY was done this way (sorry but true.)

Another part of the issue with this quest is that there ARE only two active at any given time per 15x15 official cluster... and they despawn very rapidly for a map of that size; 5ish days, not the 50 mentioned in the patch notes: making it a complete waste of time to even try sailing (for hours of game time) to it for those further away from their spawns only to lag out the moment you get into zone, or get sunk as you cross or even are just sailing to it due to the higher level AoD throughout the region.

I think somewhere between opening day and FOY drop, they forgot just how many players are on that 15X15 grid: as tehy recognized then that they needed multiple freeports as starter zones for new players: but somehow forgot that was a thing when it comes to FOY, only spawning two for an entire grid in comparison.

That said, this needs more attention. Having them spawn at freeports, all freshwater islands, or making the buff a consumable or limited-time craftable would fix every single one of these issues.

Edited by blindtale
enterpwn
  • Like 1

It is stupid. We had a large battle ready fully crewed brig with three supporting crewed schooners. We never even made it to the power stone island. We never even made it away from the world border. Our brig came through and crashed head-on if not right on top of a red ship of the damned. Those few who managed to cut through the huge lag that was causing most of us to time out and crash saw a massive fleet of damned ships and we could do nothing, with the lag, studdering, rubberbanding, and most of us crashed we lasted all of a few minutes and had everything lost.

We were going to take two Galleons but thought to test the waters first. Good thing we did.

As is we are not going to bother ever messing with the fountain of youth. It is not worth it with all the lag, and the crazy amount's of high level spawns.  Worst case we are just going to take turns killing each other off and starting a new character. As sucky as it is to have to start over at level 1, it's better than dealing with that cluster of a mess. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Taiine said:

As is we are not going to bother ever messing with the fountain of youth. It is not worth it with all the lag, and the crazy amount's of high level spawns.  Worst case we are just going to take turns killing each other off and starting a new character. As sucky as it is to have to start over at level 1, it's better than dealing with that cluster of a mess. 

That's pretty much about where my crews are at now. As it stands, the fountain of youth was not thought out well, at all. On unofficials, where the populations are lower, it's not doable due to the zones they spawn in and mobs guarding it. On officials, there are too few of them for the huge amount of people trying to get to them and the size of the grid, on top of that; making it pretty much impossible.

Overall, they wasted their time and ours even bothering with this, with how it was planned and executed.

Edited by blindtale
  • Like 2

I would also like to point out, for the players that are trying to reach the power stone islands for the purpose of fighting boss's and getting the stones now face a near impossible task. 

With the fountain of youth in play on these islands, people are flooding to them in mass. Causing the grid to be so lag filled it's nearly unplayable. Like I said before we never made it away from the world border once we zoned in due to all the lag timing most of us out and the over spawn of ships of the damned.  We lost everything before most of us even knew we had lost everything.

Plus there are players that do make it trying to leave ships at the island for easy fast travel via the beds, this is filling up the available areas to drop anchor. Plus dealing with all the ships of the damned people are louring to the islands.

Overall the system is badly thought out. The fountain of youth should be able to spawn on ANY island to encourage people to go out and explore and not just camp the same few set of islands.

Hope someone can make a mod for this make it able to be bought mini fountain for ones garden or inside their base that can only be uses once every 100 years per person.  so there is no exploiting it and make it pretty expensive like 50k - 100k gold. 

Edited by [OCG]Stuccy

I feel instead of having the fountain at fixed location every character should go through a treasure hunt on a random nearby island. that changes every time the character finds it.

and vary the stuff the character has to do to get to it:

• tresure Hunt
  • Sod Sinking
  • Puzzle solving

so the hunting is more intresting and can be done everytime the character is online, and you don't have to plan when to go to the fountain also no server overload since the fountain you have to go to only is for you specifically and can be everywhere on a grid "nearby"

Edit: and let other players that where there for the hunt use the fountain as well if they want so crews don't have to make 5 tresure hunts in a row just to get all 90 year old young again

Edited by darkmeadow
  • Like 2

I think Ship of the Damned should drop a weak flasked alternative of it for example 5% of the time. This one removes 20 years only from your age.
People will trade it for gold for a price depending on market, once player shopping would be implemented on freeports.
EDIT:
I don't really prefer mechanics that deepens grinding instead of promoting fun content in its place (i mean cannonballs are also grinding for sure, but the loot is tied to the fun part, not the grind itself).

Edited by Deadbones
  • Like 1

Or, have the floating ship of the damned crewmember that can be recruited a rework. Let them have a damned appearance while unclaimed. If you claim them you free them of their curse so they join you. If you choose to sacrifice them, you still free them of the curse, but you harness the power of the curse not to give them their life back, rather to drain life power to yourself. So each members freed like this gives you 2 years back. I think its still a good choice over freeing then and letting them drown since the ship is full xD

Remove the foy completly...

Its not fun

Its a nightmare if you hit age 90

I invite dev team to play as a 90 year player, go to the lag fest island powerstones,  try to be alive until reach cave and after , die repeat like 30 times and do it again . After you feel what we feel remove this pain in the hydras bass asap. Thank you

Edited by Beylerbeyi
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 8:40 AM, FUBAR_89 said:

Option 1: Make it a Craft able item that has a spoil timer:

This should be very resource intensive, needing equivalent resources to building and planking a Galleon for example, + other items like crystal / salts etc etc.  This FOY item would also require 1 rare item, something like a new item along the lines of an "Army of the Damned Elixir" that is dropped by all levels of AOD ships (drop chance depends on their difficulty level)

This item would have a spoil timer of about 1 hour which would prevent large companies stockpiling them, and would also be active for only about 5-10 minutes once activated in the new Crafting station / altar described below, this would mean that companies would need to co-ordinate with their members when they would be making the FOY so that they could all use it.

Where would you craft this? - This would be craft able at a new FOY "Altar-style" workbench (re-using the existing in-game model from the current system if you like) that is unlocked at the very end of the Medicine skill tree for 10 skill points.  You can also chose to make this altar use 1 of the Elixir items I've described above to craft (in a smithy) + an appropriate level of resources, crystal etc as a one-off cost

While I don't hate the idea of a craftable elixir, they should absolutely not attach it to the end of the Medicine tree. The whole point of having choices as to skills is eroded if something that is absolutely essential to play the game depends on having an entire tree (bonus bad points if that tree derives from yet another tree, as Medicine does). Beyond that, Medicine as it is now is completely worthless, so all points spent getting to the essential elixir skill would be wasted. Now, if Medicine were retooled to be more alchemical in nature, with various craftable buff-giving items, having a "Life Elixir" or something of that nature could make sense. That would also make the transition from Cooking make more sense. However, I still think if they went that route, there should be an option for those who did not want to go down that skill tree, such as keeping the FoY in game.

So this is my first time doing the FOY. I restarted my character last age 90. This has to be the stupidest "quest" I've ever encountered. So its in a tiny cave with tons of animal spawns that make it near impossible to even reach it. Wouldn't be so bad if they put it outside the power stone cave. Right now with the amount of people trying to get to it and the bottleneck it's just stupid. No animals should spawn near the fountain of youth. This is like my 30th death and i'm still age 90. Elixir on a merchant. I'd gladly shell out 5-10k to go back to age 20. Once breeding is implemented I never intend to do this retarded quest again.

Edited by Sadie Blackhawk

- Old Age no longer has a debuff
- Fountain of Youth is now available on all Golden Age Ruin servers (we'll be looking at redesigning how this works in the near future)

So whats the point on debuffing?

Why the Youth fountains if theres no debuff?

Youth fountain in my oppinion should not be on Golden Age Ruins but kind of a map that every player gets once he reach the 90 years with a location to go, just like the treasure maps.

The access to the fountain should not be a pain in the ass like it is now. Doing this every month or every two months its just crazy... for what i´ve see, aging its just bullshit, in 6 times the toon gets younger the time should be like year 2000 and we are still stopped or trapped on time.

I know its just a game but... seriously?

there is still a buff to pursue just not forced into it with a  debuff.   

I like the treasuremap idea though maybe make it take multiple random tries to find the right map and loot box so that you would not know for certain where to go at 90 might take you till 100 to find it.   Anyone in your group would benefit just like treasure hunting.   Make it the most elite spawns.

I think you should break your idea into its own thread. 

It never made sense to me that the fountain of youth would be found in powerstones islands where there already is an endgame quest and just creates a naked sloop lag fest - even bumping up  to 8 locations is not going to help much. 

Treasure map makes it every location and fits within the lore of foy that is was something to search for.   And they did say the are entertaining a redesign of foy.

Edited by krazmuze