Adfax

Time to scrap the age mechanic before you lose most of your players..

For those that arent aware:

- Your characters age is based on the time you created your character to today. (Or from the time you drink from the fountain)

- There is no parental system as yet - this is all speculation

- There is no character death at 100 yet - this is all speculation

Now that's cleared up here's the problem:

- Players who can only play limited hours per day/per week are severely penalised by the fact their player has now aged considerably and every 3 weeks they will be 90. 

- Players who elect to say "screw the fountain" and yolo the debuff suffer the % stat reduction lower than the base level.

- Players who have created their character before yours and do constantly get the fountain get (currently not uncapped) bonuses every 3 weeks.

- There is NO CATCH UP MECHANIC and no way to limit your enemies from getting the fountain since its relatively hard to lock down the island. (if you could it would be an even worse advantage)

- New and Casual players which account for quite a bit of game pop according to steam charts are the ones hit the most by this.

Some easier ways to improve this system (but better to be completely removed):

- Remove the old age debuff and stay on Base statistics

- Slow down aging or at least base it on PLAYTIME.

- Cap the recurring bonus and to keep them you gotta goto the fountain. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Lashtastic said:

For those that arent aware:

- Your characters age is based on the time you created your character to today. (Or from the time you drink from the fountain)

- There is no parental system as yet - this is all speculation

- There is no character death at 100 yet - this is all speculation

Now that's cleared up here's the problem:

- Players who can only play limited hours per day/per week are severely penalised by the fact their player has now aged considerably and every 3 weeks they will be 90. 

- Players who elect to say "screw the fountain" and yolo the debuff suffer the % stat reduction lower than the base level.

- Players who have created their character before yours and do constantly get the fountain get (currently not uncapped) bonuses every 3 weeks.

- There is NO CATCH UP MECHANIC and no way to limit your enemies from getting the fountain since its relatively hard to lock down the island. (if you could it would be an even worse advantage)

- New and Casual players which account for quite a bit of game pop according to steam charts are the ones hit the most by this.

Some easier ways to improve this system (but better to be completely removed):

- Remove the old age debuff and stay on Base statistics

- Slow down aging or at least base it on PLAYTIME.

- Cap the recurring bonus and to keep them you gotta goto the fountain. 

there is people that told me they died afer 100 :0 u sure there is no death after 100 years right now??? that would be so good x_x i dont care about the debuff that is kinda ok i think but loosing everything u own is just a pain in the ass

50 minutes ago, Dragoon14th said:

I wouldn't mind if they did 6 month from age 1 to age 100... that reasonable ammount of time to join company and get started.

Also id would get them seeing about getting the medicine tree with the last feat cost 10 point and grant the ability to craft [Rejuvenate Brew] only at a Grill station.  It takes 20 Med herb, 20 Mythos, and 1 full water jar of Holy water ( Fountain of Youth) with no spoil timer.    Stacks 20 time only and weighs 10 pound per stack ( 0.5 pound per brew) and can only decrease age by 20 year per drink until 18 year old.... if continue to drink pass the age of 18  old then you lose your character.  As you would erase your own existence. 

This would solve a lot of issue with it and that large company would go in harvest the water make it and then not have to go out to island again for a while thus opening up the island for other to go in and get some as well.   and it would be company dependent as you would need both a cook and a healer for this to work  and as well as a group to harvest Mythos from the mythical creatures.  Because there is no spoil timer that mean that they wont have to hunt the Fountain as often.   Its best of both world solve everything and Is still up to their logic in game-play and balancing.   

it would also be rly cool if u could trade it ! that would make it less painful but still think they shoudlnt go for this whole age thing anyways

I agree but if they want to put age in then having this brew to relieve pressure on fountain of youth would be their best interest.   I mean i like the idea of it but it just doesnt work and reason why we play games not do Real life work. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Miedein said:

Honestly I side with Nari on this. The mechanics are just fine and dandy to me. But my issue is, they aren't ready for the whole legacy mechanic yet. So they shouldn't turn on the aging until they are ready. This way you have a choice. Do you let your character die and you move to the child to carry on the legacy? Or do you seek out the fabled fountain of youth and continue living on. 

And honestly, if people want to whine and quit the game. Don't let the door hit ya on the way out. Means I and others can expand our claims better for our tax offices for those of us that enjoy the game. 

You don't like the changes? Don't whine, and threaten. Give feedback. They nerfed elephants and just tonight they made animals that I thought were garbage wastes of time being relevant with how much carry weight they now have. I have an elephant with 4k weight, a rhino with 5k weight. I hated the rhino and thought it a waste of time. Now I'll actually use the damn thing. 

If people leave, they won't continue developing the game, so you want people to like the game if you like the game.

That requires you to make compromises, especially when it comes to unnecessary gimmick mechanics that take away from the game more than they give.

Edited by Adfax
  • Like 1

My propose for ageing, everytime you die your age gets to reset to 20, if you live to age of 60 you get one time permanent buff from the fountain of youth, if you live to 90 you get more buffs from the fountain repeatable. Making love with npc lets you remake character appearance and setting age to 20. In every situation your character keeps his levels.

Now that I tought this more it would be nice to have ageing for ships too, like if your ship survives 50 years it could be upgraded to better version like all parts would get 2-3x hp buff and if it reaches 100 years old with enough sailing you could upgrade it to ghost ship or similiar changing the plank looks to some unique and add another hp buff.

Edited by TheFailingPierat
more ideas

10 minutes ago, TheFailingPierat said:

My propose for ageing, everytime you die your age gets to reset to 20, if you live to age of 60 you get one time permanent buff from the fountain of youth, if you live to 90 you get more buffs from the fountain repeatable. Making love with npc lets you remake character appearance and setting age to 20. In every situation your character keeps his levels.

Now that I tought this more it would be nice to have ageing for ships too, like if your ship survives 50 years it could be upgraded to better version like all parts would get 2-3x hp buff and if it reaches 100 years old with enough sailing you could upgrade it to ghost ship or similiar changing the plank looks to some unique and add another hp buff.

Please god.. No more aging... Why do you people want aging?! It doesn't add anything to the core game.

Also, the issue with cosmetics still remains. I don't like my character not looking the way I set them, so for me, it is still annoying.

Edited by Adfax
  • Like 2

The talk about the proposed alternatives to fountain with breeding makes me cringe.  Last thing I will play is a female character in game if they introduce this.  No way I want to play an Atlas dating app game so that we can keep our stats.  :gag:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Adfax said:

Please god.. No more aging... Why do you people want aging?! It doesn't add anything to the core game.

If you read anything I posted how does that not add anything? it adds people wanting to survive more and keep better care of their ships without any negative debuffs and you can do well without doing anything that. So it only adds for the core game.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, TheFailingPierat said:

If you read anything I posted how does that not add anything? it adds people wanting to survive more and keep better care of their ships without any negative debuffs and you can do well without doing anything that. So it only adds for the core game.

It is more hassle, you've got to balance it right so people have free time. You shouldn't bombard the player with endless chores.

There is maintaining a ship, and there is the reason you're maintaining it. The game should focus more on the reason than simply maintaining for the sake of it. 

I get the feeling the devs don't understand this, thinking they should just pile on chore after chore, and that is content. No, do not do that.

Edited by Adfax
  • Like 3

Age system does not have a place in this kind of game. This game is not about realism clearly otherwise we'd have to watch our character sleep for many hours, take craps, jerk off, go crazy from lack of social interactions, and all other real-world nuances we take for granted in a video game but that is just the case, we play video games to get away from real life. We don't need this punishing and monotonous aspect of the game and already we have to endure the annoying vitamin deficiency crap.

Edited by vaylain
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2019 at 10:58 PM, vaylain said:

Age system does not have a place in this kind of game. This game is not about realism clearly otherwise we'd have to watch our character sleep for many hours, take craps, jerk off, go crazy from lack of social interactions, and all other real-world nuances we take for granted in a video game but that is just the case, we play video games to get away from real life. We don't need this punishing and monotonous aspect of the game and already we have to endure the annoying vitamin deficiency crap.

Well said.. 

Ask someone what they get out of the age mechanic, those who say they want it, they don't have any reasons to give.. They literally like it just because; meanwhile people are bleeding from the game because they don't want to have to repeatedly participate in this endless chore, or lose their characters.

• Like 1

Here's my diary of getting to the fountain of youth - 

Day 1: try to find it.  make three different newb sloops, sail to three different islands where it's supposed to be.  9 hours of play time.  (did some other random stuff in the middle, got distracted, met a bunch of people)

Day 2: found C6, tried to rush in, cave full of bats, tigers on land, alligators in water.  Servers restart, magic pixels go away.  Move sloop with swivels to beach on C6 to help other people get to shore by killing crocs.

Day 3: Try to find fountain.  Spend some time on C6 - wiping out beach trash with swivels.  While I am elsewhere, Some superfriends tryhard grind peon guild destroys it with cannons.  Mafia?  Whatever doesn't matter.   No good deed goes unpunished. 
Hear that fountain is in o7.  make a sloop, go there, DDay on the beaches of normandy with my semi-competitive horde of naked runners.

Made it in, then logged out to run my lady's character in and something busted both of our beds at the same time - assuming mob damage and not picking because they both popped in the same second.  So now I am young and spry and she's still an old pickle.

Total effort - 3 days of nonstop effort.  Probably 22 hours of play.

3 minutes ago, Nox said:

Here's my diary of getting to the fountain of youth - 

Day 1: try to find it.  make three different newb sloops, sail to three different islands where it's supposed to be.  9 hours of play time.  (did some other random stuff in the middle, got distracted, met a bunch of people)

Day 2: found C6, tried to rush in, cave full of bats, tigers on land, alligators in water.  Servers restart, magic pixels go away.  Move sloop with swivels to beach on C6 to help other people get to shore by killing crocs.

Day 3: Try to find fountain.  Spend some time on C6 - wiping out beach trash with swivels.  While I am elsewhere, Some superfriends tryhard grind peon guild destroys it with cannons.  Mafia?  Whatever doesn't matter.   No good deed goes unpunished. 
Hear that fountain is in o7.  make a sloop, go there, DDay on the beaches of normandy with my semi-competitive horde of naked runners.

Made it in, then logged out to run my lady's character in and something busted both of our beds at the same time - assuming mob damage and not picking because they both popped in the same second.  So now I am young and spry and she's still an old pickle.

Total effort - 3 days of nonstop effort.  Probably 22 hours of play.

And i would be right in guessing that none of it was fun?

There were some brief moments of fun.  I like building ships, and I didn't mind clearing the beach so people could get into the cave.  Not many people understand the virtue of cooperation, so that made it a lot harder for americans who are always trying to fuck one another over.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nox said:

There were some brief moments of fun.  I like building ships, and I didn't mind clearing the beach so people could get into the cave.  Not many people understand the virtue of cooperation, so that made it a lot harder for americans who are always trying to fuck one another over.

None of this sounds fun to me. The worst part about this game to me is sailing. I just do not have nor want to invest hours of mindless and monotonous sailing on a boring ocean just to TRY and see if I am on the right island. Forget it, I will just be FORCED to live with the pointless and unfair debuff as my punishment for being a faithful and paying customer. It is highly unrealistic for any 90-year-old to be running from tigers, swimming past alligators, jumping over cobras, dodging bats, and climbing through a deadly cave for any reason but sure Grapeshot, let's claim that this is really something needed in the game...

Edited by vaylain
  • Like 1

That was not an understatement.  It was about 22 hours of severe bullshit with a couple of brief moments of fun.  I mean that exactly as I say it.

From what I see, this game is shitting out players like a fat man with dysentery.  

• Thanks 1

I've reached 100. I have no plans to waste any time on this FOY chase. I plan to live with the debuff… until the end. Just not sure when the end will be yet.

Ez pz boys, spawn on closest Freeport, build a raft with a bed and suicide run, took me two tries and about 45 minutes total to hit the fountain

Think the devs are trying to kill the game off. The whole age thing is completely lost on me, the obvious creation of someone who hasn't passed their thirties. Trust me, no one that has any years under their belt wants to simulate old age. This feature adds ZERO to the game and is just plain stupid, let alone this brain dead quest - and then to have it not even stick so I have to do it again? No thanks!

I like the age mechanic. I think launching the fountain of youth at the same time as the debuff lead to too many people trying to get it at once, which was a huge problem.

maybe some islands are kind of rough, and the new strat is "make a ramshackle, sail it there, leave it" so the the powerstone locations are now ABSURDLY LARGE ship graveyards.

1 hour ago, Nox said:

That was not an understatement.  It was about 22 hours of severe bullshit with a couple of brief moments of fun.  I mean that exactly as I say it.

From what I see, this game is shitting out players like a fat man with dysentery.  

I've been trying to get the FoY since it was a patch, as has one of my company mates. I have work and real life responsibilities to deal with, I can only play for 3 hours a night at the very most (aside from weekends). Not only is it stupidly hard to find out what tile the FoY is in, it takes forever to get there unless it's one of the few locations where it's right next to a freeport. And then, you just keep rushing and hope to get lucky and not get blocked by a random giant monster, or have them spawn up under you, or whatever. It's pissing me right off. It's almost impossible to get now that the initial wave of players has been reset.

Not to mention, I'm on NA PVP, and if you look at the thread where players have been getting their accounts deleted accidentally, it's most often on NA PVP, in a golden age zone, going for the FoY. So every time I don't spawn in right I get to wait and see if I still have a char at all. 

It's such a terrible mechanic. At least until the family system is in, it should not be THIS hard to reset your character's age.

Just put a FOY in all of the Golden Age ruins.  Done.   Next topic.

There are so many other game mechanics that are broken that need fixed.  The FOY is awesome for the stat buff, but other areas need more focus.  

Edited by Fathom