Adfax

Time to scrap the age mechanic before you lose most of your players..

1 minute ago, Nari said:

Little info is official. We're both making assumptions. Me assuming death plays part. You assuming its akin to hardcore.

I posted too early, I've edited the rest in.

8 minutes ago, Adfax said:

I posted too early, I've edited the rest in.

I suppose I did too.

EQ is equilibrium. The buff you receive for maintaining a balanced diet for 30min. It is not insignificant. The fountains provide permanent stats each time you use it over the age of 90. If death hastens age then you can guarantee that EQ will suddenly become popular. Meaning so will cooking, and armor. and weapons, anything to prevent death you name it. Bringing us back to children. Don't/can't use the fountain? Buy time with a child. It all serves a purpose much deeper than "Oh yea don't forget to eat and drink." They need to go even further. Vitamin deficiency needs to add serious debuffs like scurvy!

Edited by Nari

But if death hastens age, and age gets me a permanent buff, then I want to die more so I can get that buff quicker.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Talono said:

Devs, i am over 90 years old but really dont have time to sail the seven seas in search of that fountain. By the way : Can a naked debuffed solo bowman on a ramshackle sloop obtain that fountain of youth ?

As mentioned, i am still working on my first metal pike and fight a partisan war against chinese hordes on my island. Wolves and Cobras are challenge enough for me, i have no time for your fountain !😡

95 atm ill be dead before i can make it there stuping fking mechanic...at current also ageing is to fast it should be even play a part this early in the days this game has even been out. And offline you age way to fast 

Edited by Luxfere

2 hours ago, Nari said:

I suppose I did too.

EQ is equilibrium. The buff you receive for maintaining a balanced diet for 30min. It is not insignificant. The fountains provide permanent stats each time you use it over the age of 90. If death hastens age then you can guarantee that EQ will suddenly become popular. Meaning so will cooking, and armor. and weapons, anything to prevent death you name it. Bringing us back to children. Don't/can't use the fountain? Buy time with a child. It all serves a purpose much deeper than "Oh yea don't forget to eat and drink." They need to go even further. Vitamin deficiency needs to add serious debuffs like scurvy!

If death hastens age, I guarantee people are going to quit the game. 

People already cant' be bothered with the vitamin system, and it isn't because it doesn't have a harsh penalty. It is because it is boring to maintain. 

They've put too much in the way of the fun in this game, and then need to just scrap the age mechanic. It is like they think you should constantly have to manage things, with no time to stop and think. No. Please.. Whoever is thinking like that on the dev team, please shut them up.If i'm constantly working just to exist in the game, you're not giving me the chance to do the things I want to do. 

It'd be like if in your real life you had no free time, you just had to constantly work, doing things you don't want to do to do the things you do want to do, except you don't get to do the things you do want to do, because you're constantly being nagged by this annoying system.

It just stands in the way of fun in it's current implementation. 

And this fountain of youth?? God.. I can't even begin to tell you how annoying it is going to be to go through that utter lag fest every time my character hits 90.

Basically, there is a threshold people just won't tolerate, when the nagging just gets too annoying; and they get no time to themselves, just constant work. 

Edited by Adfax

Should age be a factor in this pirate MMOrpg? I cannot believe that soon, my solo character will be forced into enduring an impossible quest to search for the "Fountain of Youth" just so my character will not be gimped in stats.  This is utter and complete bullcrap! How are solo players supposed to survive on this forced quest? This really should be relooked at and rethought out from a solo players perspective.

Edited by vaylain
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Heilos said:

But if death hastens age, and age gets me a permanent buff, then I want to die more so I can get that buff quicker.

^ This.

If the permanent buff is cumulative, then people will just suicide over and over, age faster, fountain, repeat, until they have super pirate.

This is not the death penalty you are looking for...

Edited by Vhalkyrie

Honestly I side with Nari on this. The mechanics are just fine and dandy to me. But my issue is, they aren't ready for the whole legacy mechanic yet. So they shouldn't turn on the aging until they are ready. This way you have a choice. Do you let your character die and you move to the child to carry on the legacy? Or do you seek out the fabled fountain of youth and continue living on. 

And honestly, if people want to whine and quit the game. Don't let the door hit ya on the way out. Means I and others can expand our claims better for our tax offices for those of us that enjoy the game. 

You don't like the changes? Don't whine, and threaten. Give feedback. They nerfed elephants and just tonight they made animals that I thought were garbage wastes of time being relevant with how much carry weight they now have. I have an elephant with 4k weight, a rhino with 5k weight. I hated the rhino and thought it a waste of time. Now I'll actually use the damn thing. 

4 hours ago, Nari said:

Why would you assume you lose your base/tames/and materials? You're still in your company (solo or not) your shit will be right where you left it. If anything you'll only lose levels, worst case you re-roll and lose discoveries too.

If it based off ark hardcore its all gone but if they put you back to lvl 1 your good. Permadeath may not be a good word for them to use for gamer's character gets deleted and all that what part of that character. If that is so kill all the the other company admins ez win:)

2 minutes ago, ghostwolf19k said:

If it based off ark hardcore its all gone but if they put you back to lvl 1 your good. 

Yeah...not good with going back to level 1.

15 minutes ago, Miedein said:

And honestly, if people want to whine and quit the game. Don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

Definitely don't let the door hit ya on the way out.  Check out the unofficial servers for settings that suit you.

8 hours ago, Garfy said:

This update just confirms the developers don't play their own game and don't know shit about it or what the players want. They've just gimped most of their player base while forcing them all to sail to some random, distant island that is full of hyper aggressive enemies who can and will 1 shot you.

If the developers want to kill the game, they're doing a good job.

Keeping this alive. Devs NO NO NO!

7 minutes ago, Vhalkyrie said:

Yeah...not good with going back to level 1.

Definitely don't let the door hit ya on the way out.  Check out the unofficial servers for settings that suit you.

I played ark hardcore I don't mind but not all like the hardcore parts of the game. The one's playing are average gamer's like I said in my post kill all the company admins and the company is dead like in ark hardcore and we all know we can't let everyone be a admin and than there are spy's from other company's that will be more than happy to kill them in their sleep. And how will the kid thing work are they like crew do I need to feed them keep them getting killed do they get old? I'm here to have fun and get away from my RL.

• Like 1

I hope that devs perma kill me at the age of 100 so that i can leave to a more customer friendly MMO.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ghostwolf19k said:

I played ark hardcore I don't mind but not all like the hardcore parts of the game. The one's playing are average gamer's like I said in my post kill all the company admins and the company is dead like in ark hardcore and we all know we can't let everyone be a admin and than there are spy's from other company's that will be more than happy to kill them in their sleep. And how will the kid thing work are they like crew do I need to feed them keep them getting killed do they get old? I'm here to have fun and get away from my RL.

Ouch - that's rough about Ark HC.  I can see it.

Idk, if they can figure out a way to make this not a pita, then great.  I'm still on the fence about the vitamin mechanic, but once I got a hang of it, I can manage it.

I come from the old school MMOs: UO, EQ, AC, WOW, EVE, ArcheAge etc.   I've lost all my gear and went naked mining in UO (what's old is new!); I've lost multiple levels in EQ, etc.  I've played EVE Online and lost multiple ships.  UO was brutal with its completely open PVP system, but it had so many charms that are to date unparalleled.  Atlas is the closest I've felt to the sheer joy of sailing around to different islands and exploring.  Shrouds of the Avatar was disappointing, but in so many ways Atlas has come the closest to the spirit of what made UO great.

Of the MMO games I've played, the mechanic I've enjoyed the least is losing levels (aka EQ).  Where I've lost gear is annoying, but it can be replaced.  In EVE, don't fly what you can't insure/afford to lose.  You have to rebuild your assets, but that's fine.  But your character is always intact.  The only time you could get in trouble in EVE is if you didn't setup your clones.

The idea of hunting for the Fountain of Youth is a good one, don't get me wrong.  Just not crazy about the current concept.  That's just me.  The door ain't swinging on my hinney; I've just setup a world with different rules.  Dedi FTW.

2 hours ago, Adfax said:

If death hastens age, I guarantee people are going to quit the game. 

People already cant' be bothered with the vitamin system, and it isn't because it doesn't have a harsh penalty. It is because it is boring to maintain. 

They've put too much in the way of the fun in this game

What you mean to say it that YOU will leave. That YOU find these mechanics tedious and boring. Contrary to what you might believe I've met more people who are of the mind that these mechanics add depth and mix it up over a literal copy paste of ARK than I have people like you. They are just not here throwing tantrums on the forums, they're in game having fun, but to each their own.

2 hours ago, Vhalkyrie said:

^ This.

If the permanent buff is cumulative, then people will just suicide over and over, age faster, fountain, repeat, until they have super pirate.

This is not the death penalty you are looking for...

Few people seem to think this. What happens if you lose those precious accumulated stats if you die? Wont be chasing the noose then will ya?

this system is designed to "slow" the large companies down . Why do I say this , first they wait this long into the game when most people who have any serious hours in or have been around since launch are past the 90 year mark and thus will be affected . Secondly , only those who are in larger groups whill have the ability to sail around quickly and survive long enough on a powerstone island , Third , they have said they are adding in a second island but they change locations from time to time , so once again if your not there with a big group by the time you sail you sloop there and finaly get to where you need to be after a few hundred one shot deaths , it could be gone to another island . Fourth , the larger companies are the one housing the level 100 players so the % will hurt them more then the little guys who cant even attempt it . this gives them reason to think its a good idea , whats 10 health to a lower level solo player compaired to the 100 health that a level 100 would loose . Problem is that when you have 100 and you only now have 90 means you die that much faster compaired to the powerplayer with 900 still .

This all come right after they do a live stream about how they have to consider how things will affect a wide range of players including the small companies and solo players . Then the same day they add a patch that puts the fountain someplace "challenging" for larger groups and almost impossible for the solo player .

Ok so you have 40,000 players of which the vast majority of them are now 90+ in age who all need to do this fountain of youth quest and yet we have one damn server that holds a mere 150 players to cater for this demand........

Who the fk came up with this crappy idea. It might sound grand on paper but its a real flop in reality. Scrap it already. Or at least move this crap to PVE, its not a PVP mechanic that belongs on PVP servers.

• Like 2

I think people are freaking out because death means jack and shit right now in the game. "regular'' Deaths. So now that a 'new' kind of death actually has consequences people want it to not be the case.

Ironically these are the same people who have been telling other critics (for other reasons) 'this game might not be for you'. There is no 'simple' solution for this one I guess.

But like I said its always about perspective. Everyone loves everything until they dont. If something isnt affecting you personally you dont care, once it does watch out.

But in the end anyone who criticizes this dumpster fire is right in some form or another.

A lot of 'cool' ideas and when you read them or theyre talked about you can shrug and say 'yeah that sounds 'different'. Problem is the implementation of each and every 'cool' thing is atrocious. Theyre are a lot of ways to do them but they chose the stupidest (which usually requires the least amount of work).

I remember saying that the old age and death thing was going to (ironically) kill the game and it would definitely make the streamers all stop playing. The latter have for the most part all already left official so that 'test' was never reached. But them leaving 'early' isnt a positive either I dont think.

In the end it is sort of a 'cool' idea and most people were cheering it (I remember because I said it was a stark contrast to basically the same thing Chronicles of Elyria was suggesting that got bashed, granted they were charging for 'new' lifes but same concept). Thyere just lazy developers but I am sure once they release the mod kid some m odder will make everything they have in their game better and they can steal errr 'improve' those things then add them to the official game (just the same way they did in ARK). best features of Ark are player/community/mod created and simply plugged in to the 'official' builds.

Now you have to go to the Fountains of Youth every 3 Weeks? 

For me, as a most Time Single Player, its not possible to go somewhere! So the Game is ending for me here because of bad Decisions of Developer?

I am 94 Years old, only Level 43 and cant sail somewhere alone! So i lost everything i do in the Last 140 Hours of playing this Game? What a bad mechanic!

And i have to say: The only reason why i am Level 43 is that i looking for some Treasures with other Players. When i dont do it i will only be Level 15-20 i think!

So the whole System dont work.

I think they destroy the Game like Dark & Light. I dont understand why all Developer think its a god Reason to lose all Players quick!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Althena said:

Now you have to go to the Fountains of Youth every 3 Weeks? 

For me, as a most Time Single Player, its not possible to go somewhere! So the Game is ending for me here because of bad Decisions of Developer?

I am 94 Years old, only Level 43 and cant sail somewhere alone! So i lost everything i do in the Last 140 Hours of playing this Game? What a bad mechanic!

And i have to say: The only reason why i am Level 43 is that i looking for some Treasures with other Players. When i dont do it i will only be Level 15-20 i think!

So the whole System dont work.

I think they destroy the Game like Dark & Light. I dont understand why all Developer think its a god Reason to lose all Players quick!

You are doing something really wrong.

I am a solo player too, I reached the soft level cap of 51 within 2 days of playing by just farming alphas.
Leveling is a joke and even quicker possible by going for treasures.
What does lead to the next point, why the hell should it not be possible for you to go anywhere?
I made a 1 1/2 RL days journey alone to get all different seeds, other needed materials and do a 1.700 Gold treasurecard.

Solo play is doable, but obviously challenging.

Ps: Does not change the fact that the aging system is broken and badly implemented and should be removed till fixed (50 days my ass, the fountain is moving more like every 5 days...)

7 hours ago, Nari said:

The fountains provide permanent stats each time you use it over the age of 90. If death hastens age then you can guarantee that EQ will suddenly become popular. 

If death hastens age people in companies that can control the power stone islands will abuse the hell out of it, dying with the help of that planned guillotine till they reach 90 so that they could stack that nice permanent buff as much as they want.

1 minute ago, LaiTash said:

If death hastens age people in companies that can control the power stone islands will abuse the hell out of it, dying with the help of that planned guillotine till they reach 90 so that they could stack that nice permanent buff as much as they want.

"What happens if you lose those precious accumulated stats if you die?"

13 hours ago, Adfax said:

You tried.. It is terrible and unnecessary.. Nobody wants to go looking for a random spawn on a set of islands for their entire existence, please remove this thing that only hinders the game.

I think its an interesting mechanic.. its still very early on so I say lets see what it evolves into. 

I do think that being really old should not all be negative effects.. maybe a buff to intelligence or some kind of buff to crafting results. Also I don't think people should age when they are offline.. You wont get the issue we got yesterday with everyone rushing to do the fountain at the same time.

Anyway I say lets keep it for now and see what happens with it.. as