Adfax

Time to scrap the age mechanic before you lose most of your players..

first they need to prevent aging when offline

and maybe some will be able to do it lol

Edited by haseo

3 minutes ago, Nari said:

How do you propose you make death actually matter in a Survival game then?

Look at every other survival game. Death works just fine in them.

3 minutes ago, Nari said:

Does it really have to? And if the dev's really want death to be more negative than losing all your crap (like it already is) then maybe a EXP loss on death like all other MMOs that give negative consequences to dying...

1 minute ago, Kane said:

Why wouldn't I assume that, If i'm the only one in my company and have to re-roll a new character because of a permanent death that would mean my company dies with me being I'm the only one in it? It was a totally valid question that needs an answer honestly.

I think you're too focused on the permanent part. Perhaps I'm wrong and there's reason to worry but I HIGHLY doubt that in your scenario you'll lose everything.

Just now, Nayrock said:

Does it really have to? And if the dev's really want death to be more negative than losing all your crap (like it already is) then maybe a EXP loss on death like all other MMOs that give negative consequences to dying...

Survival  Yes it has to.

This essentially is losing XP, just not a meaningless amount. As it should be.

1 minute ago, Nari said:

I think you're too focused on the permanent part. Perhaps I'm wrong and there's reason to worry but I HIGHLY doubt that in your scenario you'll lose everything.

I hope you're right.

1 minute ago, Nayrock said:

Just ignore Nari, he's just a troll

I see you're new here. Hi, stick around and you'll see me a lot 🙂

• Haha 1

I've played games like EQ where you could lose levels after death.  I had a level 60 necro before I stopped playing - I can't say I have terribly fond memories of the grinding and camping, and the level loss bounce.  It wasn't a fun mechanic.  I don't play on hardcore permadeath servers - just not my kind of tea.  This idea of continually rerolling my character doesn't appeal to me.  As long as I can disable it on my private server, I'll carry on playing, but it is a deterrent to join the officials.

They mention EVE Online a lot as inspiration for this game.  You could lose your ships, but you can't lose your character.  Anything else is going to have limited appeal.

Edited by Vhalkyrie
  • Like 1

Just now, Nari said:

I see you're new here. Hi, stick around and you'll see me a lot 🙂

Yes it seems you've made it your new career path to troll everyone's posts on the atlas forums daily. Must be nice to have so much time...

• Like 1

Just now, Nayrock said:

Yes it seems you've made it your new career path to troll everyone's posts on the atlas forums daily. Must be nice to have so much time...

It is actually. Wrong about my career choices but I like you. Can we be friends?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Nari said:

Why do you think death NEEDS to matter? 

Ark wasn't about death mattering, it was about losing all your hard work. Losing your character is too far towards hardcore. Having your character was what allowed you to jump back in and continue to want to play; you lose your character? Your chance of quitting is high.

Edited by Adfax
  • Like 1

Just now, Adfax said:

Ark wasn't about death mattering, it was about losing all your hard work.

One of it's biggest flaws in my personal opinion.

2 minutes ago, Nari said:

One of it's biggest flaws in my personal opinion.

It isn't a flaw, it is what kept the game from dying. Or did you not notice how more people played normal servers over hardcore?

Hardcore elements are a nice little sidegame, but you shouldn't be forcing them on the wider audience. 

Ark currently has more players than atlas too.. Obviously there are various factors at play, but it all adds up.

Edited by Adfax

1 minute ago, Adfax said:

It isn't a flaw, it is what kept the game from dying. Or did you not notice how more people played normal servers over hardcore?

You seem to be linking the two as one in the same. They're not. Hardcore and Character legacy serve different purposes.

Edited by Nari

1 minute ago, Nari said:

You seem to be linking the two as one in the same. They're not. Hardcore and Character legacy serve different purposes.

The game was originally dlc for ark. It isn't any longer, but that doesn't mean the core structure from which this game is built isn't ark.

Right, and i'm saying if it isn't hardcore, there is no point going halfway hardcore; you may aswell just let people keep their characters at that point.

Edited by Adfax
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Kane said:

Why wouldn't I assume that, If i'm the only one in my company and have to re-roll a new character because of a permanent death that would mean my company dies with me being I'm the only one in it? It was a totally valid question that needs an answer honestly.

Maybe is because YOU die but not your company (has his logic because could be another members with you) and thats why all the things that belong to you don't disapper.

Anyway, i'm agreed with you, this game is already hard to survive and we easily dies (animals, vitamins, water, food, cyclons, bugs, disconnect, etc) to add the age dying mechanic.

they can t put perma death or anything like that, most of ppl dont have 15h/day to play, just take the discovery take like 800 year to get them all, and power stone almost no one can do them, and you re aging when offline so if you re 80 year old you dont play 1 week you re dead ¨^

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JotaCe said:

Maybe is because YOU die but not your company (has his logic because could be another members with you) and thats why all the things that belong to you don't disapper. 

Anyway, i'm agreed with you, this game is already hard to survive and we easily dies (animals, vitamins, water, food, cyclons, bugs, disconnect, etc) to add the age dying mechanic. 

Actually its not, people just have a hard time figuring out some places you should go, and some places you should not....yet.

30 minutes ago, Adfax said:

Right, and i'm saying if it isn't hardcore, there is no point going halfway hardcore; you may aswell just let people keep their characters at that point.

Yes there is and it's in the name of the genre, the foundation you speak of, which is survival. Ark didn't go far enough in my opinion. Surviving consisted of eating meat...

Are there alternative solutions to legacy? Sure, but are you honestly content with them shilling out a half assed copy pasta mechanic or oh idk... want them to actually try to innovate a little. Because they appear to feel the need to take things a step further. A decision I'm completely on board with.

Edited by Nari

1 minute ago, Nari said:

Yes there is and it's in the name of the genre, the foundation you speak of, which is survival. Ark didn't go far enough in my opinion. Surviving consisted of eating meat...

Are there alternative solutions to legacy? Sure, but are you honestly content with them shilling out a half assed copy pasta mechanic or oh idk... want them to actually try to innovate a little.

"Name of the genre". So putting on "legacy" means you should just have a legacy system regardless of the rest of the game.

Let me ask you this : what does it bring to the game?

You say it brings meaning to death. There is already enough meaning in death. It wastes your time, and it moves you miles away, and you potentially lose your stuff. That is enough.. Anymore than that and you've gone overkill; you go overkill, and you risk people leaving the game. 

Imagine if every time you lost to a boss on dark souls you didn't just lose your souls, you had to chop off one of your fingers in real life too. Would that be a good addition? Do you just endlessly escalate punishment up and up and that makes the game better?

No. Don't over do it. It is all about balance. You don't want to over punish people.

Aside from that? All legacy does it take away from the game.

It takes away your character, and it takes away the cosmetics of your character; two things I'd rather have in the game, than something that adds nothing.

10 minutes ago, Adfax said:

It wastes your time, and it moves you miles away, and you potentially lose your stuff. That is

Bit to unwrap. I'll start with this. Sounds like this isn't the genre for you. Rather it's predecessors such as Minecraft and Pokemon (oh yea... ARK).

You claim there are more cons than pros and only mention the meaning given to death. This is a mechanic that provides a reason not to die which adds value to EQ, which adds value to cooking which continues to domino. It provides a means to re-roll your toon (perhaps without the loss of discoveries we dont know yet.) it provides content in the form of the fountains and progression in the form of stats. It provides an aesthetically aging feature to boot. All under one cohesive feature.

Your near sighted comparisons to hardcore are skewing your perspective on what this actually brings to the table.

Edited by Nari
  • Sad 1

I dont understand why there are buffs or debuffs based on Playtime or when your created your character.

It is the dumbest mechanic ever - not only does it gives one playstyle an exponential advantage and crutch, it penalises other play styles with a debuff.

Finding a wife is a dumber mechanic than this one. The whole thing is stupid.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nari said:

Bit to unwrap. I'll start with this. Sounds like this isn't the genre for you. Rather it's predecessors such as Minecraft and Pokemon (oh yea... ARK).

You claim there are more cons than pros and only mention the meaning given to death. This is a mechanic that provides a reason not to die which adds value to EQ, which adds value to cooking which continues to domino. It provides a means to re-roll your toon (perhaps without the loss of discoveries we dont know yet.) it provides content in the form of the fountains and progression in the form of stats. It provides an aesthetically aging feature to boot. All under one cohesive feature.

Your near sighted comparison to hardcore are skewing your perspective on what this actually brings to the table.

"isn't the genre for you".

Except, i'm playing it over Minecraft and pokemon, so that means it IS the genre for me.. Otherwise.. Why would I be playing it? 

I see potential in this game, but it is foolishly being squandered by unnecessary chaff that just burdens the game.

Everyone has problems they see in games they like to a degree, there is no perfect game. And this game is far from perfect.

Are you under the assumption that you age faster when you die? I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that. So what you're saying doesn't even apply anyway.

But let us say it did work that way : your character will die eventually anyway, so all you'll be doing with cooking is prolonging the inevitable, and thus, it still renders it pointless. Now that that fountain is in, what is the point of cooking? It has none. It never will unless it is reworked.. And lastly, you can pass on your exp to your child, so once again, what is the purpose of cooking?

To maintain a cosmetic for a little longer? To maintain a character for a little longer?

Pointless when it changes JUST those things about the game. Non-core things about the game. Cosmetics, and the name and shape of the character you play

Also, wtf do you mean by "eq"? Just say what you mean, not everyone is familiar with terminology, nor should anyone need to be.

Edited by Adfax

6 minutes ago, Adfax said:

Are you under the assumption that you age faster when you die? I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that.

Little info is official. We're both making assumptions. Me assuming death plays part. You assuming its akin to hardcore.

Edit: I should note I'm not just referring to the current implementation but also the future. We've been told we will be able to make babies to carry our legacy. Pretty sure thats not in yet either

Edited by Nari