INVALID

Unofficial Dedicated Server Info!

Hey Pathfinders,

We're still working on getting this fully set up, but for those of you who would like to host your own Unofficial Server, you can do so now. We've got some more information that we'd like to include with this, as well as some more setup but it'll come in time as right now our preparations are focused on getting the base game into a good state. Though we know a lot of you are quite savvy and comfortable diving into this yourselves, so we wanted to make the basics available 🙂.

Here is a link to the ServerGridEditor src, as well as our wiki which covers some technical info on how to get started:

https://github.com/GrapeshotGames/ServerGridEditor/wiki

The latest version of the server can now be downloaded via the Steam Depo:

https://steamdb.info/app/1006030/info/

and we've included an example JSON file.

ServerGrid.json

Over time we'll be editing the wiki to include more information, as well as cover as many of your questions as possible. We are working on getting this setup on an anonymous steam depo but for now, you are able to host an unofficial server with these files.

Thanks for being so patient guys! ❤️

• Like 11
  • Thanks 11
  • Sad 2

Could we get an estimate on what sorta server specs we are looking at needing to host a decent amount of grid spaces? I have a decent server laying around with:

Dual Xeon E5-2670 (2.66GHz / 3.3GHz Turbo / 16 Cores / 32 threads)

128GB DDR3 RAM

Would it be possible to host a 4x4 grid on that for say 25 players per grid square? I noticed in the example ServerGrid.json it looks like the official server host 4 servers per machine at 150 users each, could we perhaps get to know what specs those machines are running?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Kaliya said:

Could we get an estimate on what sorta server specs we are looking at needing to host a decent amount of grid spaces? I have a decent server laying around with:

Dual Xeon E5-2670 (2.66GHz / 3.3GHz Turbo / 16 Cores / 32 threads)

128GB DDR3 RAM

Would it be possible to host a 4x4 grid on that for say 25 players per grid square? I noticed in the example ServerGrid.json it looks like the official server host 4 servers per machine at 150 users each, could we perhaps get to know what specs those machines are running?

Exactly this, I'm willing to fork out for an invite only server but would like to know the requirements and limitations so that I don't burn down a server farm.

Following the thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From what I understand  each 1x1 is a sever in its self. so this is how they get their "40k" 15x15 at 150 people per is 37500 people with each square being its own server. So to host multiple squares you would need a seriously powerful server, or multiple ones assuming your running max players. 

So far I have seen max of 100 people on a rented server for a 1x1... 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, skydelta3 said:

From what I understand  each 1x1 is a sever in its self. so this is how they get their "40k" 15x15 at 150 people per is 37500 people with each square being its own server. So to host multiple squares you would need a seriously powerful server, or multiple ones assuming your running max players. 

Yes, that's exactly how this works. In terms of hosting your own server this looks very complicated so doing some mucking around in a Windows environement and will try to throw together a tutorial for temporary use.

6 minutes ago, 0xbbadbeef said:

Is there any word on a Linux server build? Will this be when the anonymous steamcmd depo arrives?

they are no focusing on getting unofficials up right now and they only provided it in windows so that would be a big no at the moment.

2 minutes ago, skydelta3 said:

This beckons another question. If we are indeed limited by grids per server, are we expected to/can we link grids together with other servers? How is this expected to work? Or will all the 'unofficial' servers by tiny 1x1 grids each?

Just now, Pulz said:

This beckons another question. If we are indeed limited by grids per server, are we expected to/can we link grids together with other servers? How is this expected to work? Or will all the 'unofficial' servers by tiny 1x1 grids each?

Once you purchase a server or host a server on your own Windows/Linux box the server comes with a private key which can be used to link multiple servers together.

Looks like this:" Atlas Cluster Shared Secret: 30ce79df-f8c2-466c-b89c-7301aa313b21"

• Like 1

@Blitz

Is the linking up similar to clustering like ark? Where hosting multiple on one server might not be as intensive, for smaller servers - that is of course if youre not 100 pop per node. 

Is there anyone here who can explain what you have to do with tha json file? i'm used to host steam server with steamcmd...this here s an complety new playingfield.

An server tool like the famous ark server manager would be awesome

14 minutes ago, Blitz said:

Once you purchase a server or host a server on your own Windows/Linux box the server comes with a private key which can be used to link multiple servers together.

Looks like this:" Atlas Cluster Shared Secret: 30ce79df-f8c2-466c-b89c-7301aa313b21"

Will that be generated when you setup your own server?

1 minute ago, [RG]Colt said:

Will that be generated when you setup your own server?

I believe so, setting a win server up now will let you know. That key was from my Nitrado server.

Just now, Blitz said:

I believe so, setting a win server up now will let you know. That key was from my Nitrado server.

well i looked at the server files and i'm completly lost. i host multiple ark server with ASM(ark server manager) an awesome tool.

Also what is very important is how many map grides can you host with what server speccs?

thanks JATHEISH much appreciated, just setting a server up now, any idea when some more information will be available on the JSON file for more config, or how to change harvesting rates, XP that sort of thing?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, [RG]Colt said:

well i looked at the server files and i'm completly lost. i host multiple ark server with ASM(ark server manager) an awesome tool. 

Also what is very important is how many map grides can you host with what server speccs?

More details will be released tomorrow w/ a manager I'm assuming. In terms of server specs I'm testing with this:

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU D-1541 @ 2.10GHz, 2x 16384MB, 2 x 2000 GB.

Why are you releasing the server files as a download through google drive instead of pushing it through steam. Is this some sort of twisted joke? You guys had it published on steam for about 3 minutes before removing it earlier

https://steamdb.info/app/1006030/history/

@JATHEISH I'd like to say huge thanks for the work your developers are putting in, I know some of us must sound a bit impatient but releasing the dedicated server files will help greatly while issues with playability on the official servers are sorted out! Thank you again! I hope the files here will be updated as and when they are needed to be, until a Steam repo is setup.

I'll be setting up a small cluster of 2x2 on my server hardware today.

Edited by Ixel
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, shadowzack said:

Why are you releasing the server files as a download through google drive instead of pushing it through steam. Is this some sort of twisted joke? You guys had it published on steam for about 3 minutes before removing it earlier

https://steamdb.info/app/1006030/history/ 

Maybe those files were on an older patch and this is the newer one, it's easier to push out something through drive than say wait for steam to go through

4 minutes ago, Putty said:

Maybe those files were on an older patch and this is the newer one, it's easier to push out something through drive than say wait for steam to go through

If the version file is correct these files are for running V5.5

As this game uses ark as a base and the map tiles (squares) im guessing class as 1 server then we are looking at around 4-6GB per square so I have a feeling this game is a ram eater but I have 256GB DDR4 for my server so my only worry is the CPU... Do we have any %usages?

They need to look at using a system like Empyrion where the playfields would only be active when players were present.  So for example each playfield would be a 1x1 square..Thus using less resources on the host machine.

• Like 1

Ahh... So they could help a lot with the CPU.. Now i'm just waiting for hosts to oversell xD

You can run more than one 1x1 on a VM or physical server given the proper resources. Nothing stops you from running more than one instance of the server. You can link multiple VMs/Servers together, as they require a redis database, and you can host that on its own separate server/vm. Then each Atlas instance uses that redis server for its dbs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Morgrhim said:

You can run more than one 1x1 on a VM or physical server given the proper resources. Nothing stops you from running more than one instance of the server. You can link multiple VMs/Servers together, as they require a redis database, and you can host that on its own separate server/vm. Then each Atlas instance uses that redis server for its dbs.

I would never recommend running gameservers on vms.. unless it was for testing or temporary. Especially now that dedis come cheap af now.

• Like 1