Grongash

Fountain of youth...

So... in a game that cant handle more than a few players in one spot.. you decided to make sure they all have to be at the same spot at the same time. And that timing is brilliant with the average player already being above or close to 90. Not to mention that we all reached 90+ in under a month, so we will have to do that a lot...

Are you actively trying to kill this game off? Just say so, saves us all some time.

2 minutes ago, Grongash said:

So... in a game that cant handle more than a few players in one spot.. you decided to make sure they all have to be at the same spot at the same time. And that timing is brilliant with the average player already being above or close to 90. Not to mention that we all reached 90+ in under a month, so we will have to do that a lot...

Are you actively trying to kill this game off? Just say so, saves us all some time.

It moves every 50 days in game... so roughly every week.  Everyone isnt going to be in the SAME spot.  First it has to be found.

1 minute ago, Hodo said:

It moves every 50 days in game... so roughly every week.  Everyone isnt going to be in the SAME spot.  First it has to be found.

Still piles up players in a poorly optimized game that cant handle more than a few players in one spot.

2 minutes ago, Hodo said:

And, if everything else these dev's do is an example of what this is going to be. it'll be pointless for solos to even go there.  Hell, we get slaughtered walking out our front door, nevermind actually engaging in any content.

1 minute ago, Grongash said:

Still piles up players in a poorly optimized game that cant handle more than a few players in one spot.

Not going to disagree with you there.  I run on the lowest settings just to get a decent frame rate all the time.

1 minute ago, Jean Lafitte said:

And, if everything else these dev's do is an example of what this is going to be. it'll be pointless for solos to even go there.  Hell, we get slaughtered walking out our front door, nevermind actually engaging in any content.

Sorry that is on you, not on the developers.  This is a MMO not a single player game.  Join a group of like minded individuals who are looking to expand their numbers.  You can actually have a good time with others.   What is the fear of playing with others?

I have never understood the issue of playing with other players in an MMO.   

1 minute ago, Hodo said:

Not going to disagree with you there.  I run on the lowest settings just to get a decent frame rate all the time.

Sorry that is on you, not on the developers.  This is a MMO not a single player game.  Join a group of like minded individuals who are looking to expand their numbers.  You can actually have a good time with others.   What is the fear of playing with others?

I have never understood the issue of playing with other players in an MMO.   

So I can go pick cotton for someone else? Right-o. The fear is having to deal with simple-minded people like you who try to classify everyone as a clone of themselves. Simply because you do not understand how everyone else thinks does not mean they should think like you.

6 minutes ago, Jean Lafitte said:

I generally play solo/small group in these and most other mmos ive played. Never expected to be able to do raid content unless i made friends to join now and then. Not sure why you would expect raid content to be doable.

15 minutes ago, Grongash said:

This will be a non issue as ppl wont age as fast as others. Groups wont be doing it repeatadly so there will be time for all that want to do it. The first run may get interesting thou lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jean Lafitte said:

So I can go pick cotton for someone else? Right-o. The fear is having to deal with simple-minded people like you who try to classify everyone as a clone of themselves. Simply because you do not understand how everyone else thinks does not mean they should think like you.

I am part of a larger company, I am not forced to gather materials for them.  I have built a Schooner, 2 sloops, 3 buildings (gun towers and a fort) and gone and helped defend.  At no time did they force me to do anything.  They have left me completely alone to do whatever I want.   Most of my day I sail around on one of my 2 sloops and get treasure maps for myself to do.  Or I go hunting SotD in my Schooner.   

Not every company is the same.

2 minutes ago, Dags said:

I generally play solo/small group in these and most other mmos ive played. Never expected to be able to do raid content unless i made friends to join now and then. Not sure why you would expect raid content to be doable.

Generally speaking, the purpose of raid content in other mmo's is to give you access to things you can't acquire elsewhere.  The age debuff is punishment for not doing raid content.  I should be able to choose to do it or not and not suffer penalties if I don't.

yeah we are a small company and all ingame we are all now 93 years old 😛 , unless we can bum rush the fountain of youth or hope someone larger company is there its gonna be a no go for alot of smaller companies , just have to see what they do ,but being shut out doing the higher/end stuff due to you prefer playing with a small group , we will ofc try the fountain of youth but after last encounter in a golden age ruin well ehe

1 minute ago, Hodo said:

I am part of a larger company, I am not forced to gather materials for them.  I have built a Schooner, 2 sloops, 3 buildings (gun towers and a fort) and gone and helped defend.  At no time did they force me to do anything.  They have left me completely alone to do whatever I want.   Most of my day I sail around on one of my 2 sloops and get treasure maps for myself to do.  Or I go hunting SotD in my Schooner.   

Not every company is the same.

And tell me, if you go out and tame a bear, who owns that bear?  Can you go trade it to someone and keep the profits for yourself or does that all go to the company.  Let's assume for the moment that things change and suddenly you have a jackass for a leader who really dislikes you.  What happens when you get fed up and decide to leave that company.  Do you get to take any of those ships with you? Do you get to keep any of those buildings?  What happens when you screw up (we're all human, it's gonna happen) and the leader decides he doesn't like you any more and boots you out of the company.  What do you have to show for all that work?

I'm sorry but if I put the effort into carving out a niche in this game world, I don't want anyone to have the power to take it away from me.  In many MMO's like EVE online, if you build a ship, it's yours. You can give it to the company if you wish and the company will then have ownership.  A company can give YOU a ship and from then on, you own it. The company cannot take what is yours from you be it ships, resources, etc.  In this game EVERYTHING belongs to the company and you don't own squat.

Does that help you understand how I think?

2 minutes ago, Jean Lafitte said:

And tell me, if you go out and tame a bear, who owns that bear?  Can you go trade it to someone and keep the profits for yourself or does that all go to the company.  Let's assume for the moment that things change and suddenly you have a jackass for a leader who really dislikes you.  What happens when you get fed up and decide to leave that company.  Do you get to take any of those ships with you? Do you get to keep any of those buildings?  What happens when you screw up (we're all human, it's gonna happen) and the leader decides he doesn't like you any more and boots you out of the company.  What do you have to show for all that work?

I'm sorry but if I put the effort into carving out a niche in this game world, I don't want anyone to have the power to take it away from me.  In many MMO's like EVE online, if you build a ship, it's yours. You can give it to the company if you wish and the company will then have ownership.  A company can give YOU a ship and from then on, you own it. The company cannot take what is yours from you be it ships, resources, etc.  In this game EVERYTHING belongs to the company and you don't own squat.

Does that help you understand how I think?

All of that depends on the company.  Some companies have the settings set so if you build it, it is YOURS, if you tame it, it is YOURS.   If you decide you want to leave let them know they may let you just take what you have and go.  It is just like all of the other things, if you dont leave on good terms you can be damned sure you are leaving with nothing. 

35 minutes ago, Grongash said:

You DO realize this game has just started being developed, Right?

You've got another 2 years (announced estimate of "Early Access" duration) to have your unrealistic expectations dashed against the rocks if not.

Seriously, If I were in charge of a game in development I would NOT take this phase to the public, but run closed testing with a group of experienced beta testers.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hodo said:

All of that depends on the company.  Some companies have the settings set so if you build it, it is YOURS, if you tame it, it is YOURS.   If you decide you want to leave let them know they may let you just take what you have and go.  It is just like all of the other things, if you dont leave on good terms you can be damned sure you are leaving with nothing. 

I believe you're mistaken. There are no settings I've seen in this game (yet) that indicates that what a player builds belongs to them when they're in a company.  The owner of the company owns it all.  And I have tested  (a week or two ago, this may have changed) with others the ability to intentionally give ships to individuals and it didn't work.  Structures have no ability to give away, you can only do so by dropping claim flags.  Do you seriously think a company will allow someone to take one of their claims simply because they want to leave the company?

The terms of my company? It's mine, whether I'm on good terms with myself or not.

As you may have guessed by this post and possibly others, I am not one to keep my mouth shut and I'll be damned if I'm going to parse my words with the threat of being back in a freeport on a raft if I don't.

Edited by Jean Lafitte

1 minute ago, Hambo said:

You DO realize this game has just started being developed, Right?

You've got another 2 years (announced estimate of "Early Access" duration) to have your unrealistic expectations dashed against the rocks if not.

Seriously, If I were in charge of a game in development I would NOT take this phase to the public, but run closed testing with a group of experienced beta testers.

Oh i was wondering when the first "EA is the greencard for everything" copy and paste would come up.

Now think a second about why they actually take this "phase" to the public. 

8 minutes ago, Jean Lafitte said:

I believe you're mistaken. There are no settings I've seen in this game (yet) that indicates that what a player builds belongs to them.  And I have tested  (a week or two ago, this may have changed) with others the ability to intentionally give ships to individuals and it didn't work.  Structures have no ability to give away, you can only do so by dropping claim flags.  Do you seriously think a company will allow someone to take one of their claims simply because they want to leave the company?

The terms of my company? It's mine, whether I'm on good terms with myself or not.

As you may have guessed by this post and possibly others, I am not one to keep my mouth shut and I'll be damned if I'm going to parse my words with the threat of being back in a freeport on a raft if I don't.

Some amount of logic is required.  If you build a structure on land, that land is owned by the company.  If you decide you dont want to be with that company WHY would you want to live on their land to start with?

1 minute ago, Hodo said:

Some amount of logic is required.  If you build a structure on land, that land is owned by the company.  If you decide you dont want to be with that company WHY would you want to live on their land to start with

Ummm, because you built that structure and it should be yours???  Just like all the resources YOU collect should be YOURS.  All the ships YOU build should be YOURS.  If the company chooses to tax what you collect, fine. Then you're willing to give a portion of what you've gathered to support the company but everything else is yours to keep.  In your case though, you're no better than a slave with everything going to the plantation.  And I can even make the argument that you've been brainwashed by the company to the point that you even LIKE it.

36 minutes ago, Jean Lafitte said:

Generally speaking, the purpose of raid content in other mmo's is to give you access to things you can't acquire elsewhere.  The age debuff is punishment for not doing raid content.  I should be able to choose to do it or not and not suffer penalties if I don't.

You seem to be forgetting that us players are going to be able to breed, die at 100 and take over one of our children down the road also. I personally don't see a problem with this myself as I'll either find friends to run it or die and be reborn.

Just now, Jean Lafitte said:

Ummm, because you built that structure and it should be yours???  Just like all the resources YOU collect should be YOURS.  All the ships YOU build should be YOURS.  If the company chooses to tax what you collect, fine. Then you're willing to give a portion of what you've gathered to support the company but everything else is yours to keep.  In your case though, you're no better than a slave with everything going to the plantation.  And I can even make the argument that you've been brainwashed by the company to the point that you even LIKE it.

Lets look at this like real life.

If I go out and build a house on someone's land, do you know who owns that house?  NOT ME... the person who owns the land.

That is ignoring all of the other legal problems you will face for doing such a thing. 

If you are making payments on some land and you build a house on it, then fail to make payments...guess who owns everything on that land now?  THE PERSON YOU WERE PAYING FOR THE LAND!!!

Ask the Mcdonald brothers how that worked out for them with Ray Kroc.   They have next to nothing, Mr Kroc has the worlds largest fast food franchise with their name on it.

9 minutes ago, Dags said:

You seem to be forgetting that us players are going to be able to breed, die at 100 and take over one of our children down the road also. I personally don't see a problem with this myself as I'll either find friends to run it or die and be reborn.

Exactly, there will be more options.

The fountain of youth isn't the all be all way to keep your toon alive, it's one of many options for doing so, it just so happens this i coming out first, nothing more, nothing less. Can player please just listen to what the devs write or say before posting?

16 minutes ago, Dags said:

I did not forget. Breeding WILL be added. It is not now. Until that time, I'm being punished for not participating in content.

Nothing stoping you from making friends and running it, not to mention this is EA and content will be getting added as they have it ready. Want the full exp you'll need to wait for release.

I can't make it 100 feet from the boat at Golden Age Ruins. How the hell am I supposed to get this update? I'm really hating this.

25 minutes ago, Hodo said:

Lets look at this like real life.

If I go out and build a house on someone's land, do you know who owns that house?  NOT ME... the person who owns the land.

That is ignoring all of the other legal problems you will face for doing such a thing. 

If you are making payments on some land and you build a house on it, then fail to make payments...guess who owns everything on that land now?  THE PERSON YOU WERE PAYING FOR THE LAND!!!

Ask the Mcdonald brothers how that worked out for them with Ray Kroc.   They have next to nothing, Mr Kroc has the worlds largest fast food franchise with their name on it.

Ok, lets.

Right now, you own nothing. Until such time as that's changed, you can NEVER own anything.  Every bit of work you do goes in someone else's pocket.  Whether you're able to use those resources is irrelevant, they are not yours. The only difference between slavery and what you're doing is that you can choose to leave at any time. However, the consequences are the same, you'll leave with nothing and likely be forced back into willing slavery for someone else when you can't find a claim of your own. Or, you'll rent land and be perpetually indebted to someone else for land and structures that once again, you'll never own.

Edited by Jean Lafitte

1 hour ago, Dags said:

getting to fountain of youj sholdnt be raid content anyway , lots of players play solo and they also need to be factored in when designing games . 

solo players make up a massive percentage of any player base , 

• Like 1