Sign in to follow this  
Poot Pootington

NPC's on cannons for land base defense?

I built a gun tower on land for offline base defense, and placed cannons with NPC's on them. I set my cannons on ships only, but as soon as put ammo on the ammo box, they unload on the nearest fish swimming by.  

Since the cannons are in my tower, and I can't place a lieutenant stand, I'm not sure what else to do.

Is it not possible to set up cannons with NPC's for offline base defense? That doesn't seem correct in a game like this...

its not that good. med cannons are the only ones that can switch the way it is aiming. but some with a bear and cannon cart with a heavy cannon will out range them. so unless you have every space on your base with heavy cannons you'll be out ranged. or if you are closet to water it will be some on on a sloop with a heavy and ect. atm it is one sided in favor of the ppl attacking.

• Thanks 1

If your NPCs are shooting fish then you have them set to target EVERYTHING and on AGGRESSIVE.  Change their settings on the cannon, choose ships only, and aggressive set range to long.

If they are on a puckle gun or swivel gun, set them to survivors only, aggressive, range (medium-long up to you), 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hodo said:

If your NPCs are shooting fish then you have them set to target EVERYTHING and on AGGRESSIVE.  Change their settings on the cannon, choose ships only, and aggressive set range to long.

If they are on a puckle gun or swivel gun, set them to survivors only, aggressive, range (medium-long up to you), 

yea i did that but still got out ranged by a solo play with a bear with a Heavy cannon on a cart

11 minutes ago, Cpt. Dragoon said:

yea i did that but still got out ranged by a solo play with a bear with a Heavy cannon on a cart

Not much I can say about that.  The heavy cannon cart is a bit OP...  Just be glad they cant put a mortar on it....yet.

Just now, Hodo said:

Not much I can say about that.  The heavy cannon cart is a bit OP...  Just be glad they cant put a mortar on it....yet.

yea but Heavy cannon still out range the mortars

1 hour ago, Hodo said:

I have my cannons set on "ships only" and I tried every behavior setting off the NPC's.  Didn't matter and every time I assign them to a cannon they start unloading in the nearest critter.

Keep in mind they're in a tower on land; so maybe it's working as intended on a ship but not on land. 

I posted it as a bug report. I can't think of any other reason.

41 minutes ago, Cpt. Dragoon said:

yea but Heavy cannon still out range the mortars

Good to know.  I'm on PVE though; so I'm just trying to defend against the ships of the dammed my unfriendly neighbors keep pulling to harbor.