Dragonchampion

I cannot defend the removal of elephant wood weight reduction.

1 hour ago, Coggage said:

Time to respec and abandon Taming, sadly.  I was up to Tier 3 but was hanging on until they improved the durability and utility of the tames...  Well, THAT ain't going to happen.  What an utter and complete waste of a skill tree!

yrd with this change they should give us a respec and ditch the tame tree

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nari said:

"ATLAS isn’t a taming orientated game. Yes, we have it, and we plan to expand on it, as well as introduce more creatures for you add to your arsenal, however, the creatures themselves are meant to be supplemental and not the main focal point."

No, the main focal point is to spend all fucking evening hitting trees and lugging it to your base/dock by hand it seems.
Fuck these Devs. I'll just move to unofficial where buffed rates mean I'll get to be a pirate and not a fucking Lumberjack

• Like 1

I agree with Devs, if anything they should have a larger carry capacity. Nothing should have weight reduction for anything.

Personally I would like to see almost all tames gone anyway. Ride a horse, milk a cow, farm some chickens? Sure...ride a tiger or rhino? Hell no.

Edited by Shintai
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, gadefence said:

"That's IT! This minor nerf to elephants is making me quit OP taming tree!"

Curious as what you mean OP taming tree? Interested to know what is so OP about it?

I think you failed to read sarcasm on the OP taming tree comment.

And adding weight capacity literally makes them more useful all around vs the wood weight reduction making them specifically useful for gathering and hauling wood. I too would not be against this though. Elephant and rhino should be able to carry considerably more weight. Considering I can carry half as much as them. I don't really see why you wan't to get rid of the tames, I mean they could remove saddles from tigers, wolves if you are going for authenticity but it's a game so no one really cares. I mean we have submarines now in the pirate era.

all them note fixing this and that nothing about wolfs 2 shot no matter the lvl ? or the aggro range , that is further than render range ...

Well, when the elephant is nerfed, nerf the bear also so the tame tree is complety useless...

They might as well remove taming now... slowly but surely taming is becoming pointless >.<

On our server we don't want to change to much. But I guess we may just have to set the weight stat to silly levels and do 5x gathering to offset this. No point in spending a couple days to build a scooner to go out and have some fun pvp in after giving us the ability to do it in a couple hours, not days with tames.

I wich my server Admin would think the same, he always wants to play witch 1x...

with the coming Patch it will be a nightmare...

Edited by Evalution

6 hours ago, Malfunktion said:

Creatures help me get sailing not chopping wood simulator. 

LOL getting wood is easy even without a tame.  Now fiber is what sucks.  I imagine bears aka the cotton gin will be the next to get the nerf.

2 hours ago, Shintai said:

I agree with Devs, if anything they should have a larger carry capacity. Nothing should have weight reduction for anything.

Personally I would like to see almost all tames gone anyway. Ride a horse, milk a cow, farm some chickens? Sure...ride a tiger or rhino? Hell no.

I feel you on that, they haven't reduced how much a elephant can gather, just the reduction to wood, so i'm kinda confused. People are acting like the worlds ending, not that I don't understand, the reaction just seems over the top imho. This is EA, find it weird people feel the game going to die when we haven't seen everything all together or all the implementations yet. 

Just now, Herasea said:

I feel you on that, they haven't reduced how much a elephant can gather, just the reduction to wood, so i'm kinda confused. People are acting like the worlds ending, not that I don't understand, the reaction just seems over the top imho. This is EA, find it weird people feel the game going to die when we haven't seen everything all together or all the implementations yet. 

Mostly people are just vexed that they talk about "faster to fun" and then repeatedly make it take longer to get ships up.  We are already recovering from entire grids wiped out by weight sinking etc and spent a whole week farming another ship.  Lose this one and now it's even longer.

We spend a lot of time gathering to get to have fun in this game.  Even just ship maintenance takes a few hours a day.  They need to add resources to other sources or something if they want to nerf tames

• Thanks 1

having 300+hrs in their are many things still wrong with tames and other issues. but nerfing elephants weight reduction better come with a huge weight carry buff to the animals. if not they will be completely and utterly useless.. so I say everyone who reads this needs to upvote this post to make sure they hear your cries. but this nerf is a catch 22 (damned if you do, damned if you don't) I really honestly don't see anything positive coming from nerfing the elephants unless there is some sort of counter balance, which is not included in the patch notes btw. so I say to all who will read this.. upvote this to the top so the dev's know this is a VERY BAD move. they say they read the forums.. lets find out. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

yeah I saw it but it was in the Gen. disc. so I wasn't sure but I know they said in the stream that they read the bug reports and focus on ones that have "the most" upvotes so lets see if its true lol

27 minutes ago, Hodo said:

LOL getting wood is easy even without a tame.  Now fiber is what sucks.  I imagine bears aka the cotton gin will be the next to get the nerf.

Go to a temperate freeport and collect 20000 fiber in 5 minutes.

2 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

Mostly people are just vexed that they talk about "faster to fun" and then repeatedly make it take longer to get ships up.  We are already recovering from entire grids wiped out by weight sinking etc and spent a whole week farming another ship.  Lose this one and now it's even longer.

We spend a lot of time gathering to get to have fun in this game.  Even just ship maintenance takes a few hours a day.  They need to add resources to other sources or something if they want to nerf tames

Can see that and agree, I'm solo, if i lose my scooner it's gonna make me ages to recop all the cannons, ship parts, etc, but i'm sure they will implement other things to counter changes they are making, so far they haven't just stopped and given up, they've actually been doing the opposite. 

For me just feel people seem to be over reacting to changes

1 minute ago, Herasea said:

Can see that and agree, I'm solo, if i lose my scooner it's gonna make me ages to recop all the cannons, ship parts, etc, but i'm sure they will implement other things to counter changes they are making, so far they haven't just stopped and given up, they've actually been doing the opposite. 

People get passionate, and we're at the end of a long chain of things taking longer.

I'm 100% fine if they fix the exploit (carrying more on ships) but they need to think through the effects of their changes, and do things like buffing elephant carry weight (and rhino and bear) to match.

They JUST gave us a lecture in the stream about how knee-jerk reactions can have unintended side effects to explain them taking 3 weeks to fix the weight sinking exploits, and then they fix something that gives a MINOR in game advantage without rebalancing any systems around it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Herasea said:

I built my schooner by myself.  Total it took me 16 hours, yes I kept track.

I planned everything out, I needed several thousand fiber, wood and thatch and a few hundred metal.  The cannons took the longest, but that was because I ran out of charcoal for ammo.   But now that I have a template down I could probably build one Schooner every 12-14hours depending on respawn time on materials.   

This includes all of the cannons and 4 swivel guns, with 150 cannonball shots, and 100 grape, 50 canister.  

If I had an elephant and a bear with the taming skill to use them I could have knocked it out in about 8-9hours solo.   

1 hour ago, Herasea said:

err with weight reduction removed u will be lucky to get anywhere near enough wood in a run to amke tame worthwhile 

the rhino suffers the same 2 hits to rocks or metal node over weight , can gather it faster and carry alomst as much without them , 

does that make it clear for u ? why have tames at all if we can just gather solo faster anyway ??

Edited by UDO

I've decided to respec and dump all the points I had in Taming, bar enough to tame chickens for poop, but even then I'm not sure Farming is worth the bother either.  If I'm not Taming I don't need to grow special foods, and to feed myself I can pick up vast amounts of fruits and vegetables just by spending 30 seconds Gathering them by hand or with a Sickle.

From the many posts I have read, Armour doesn't seem to stop animals two-shotting you and Melee Weapons don't compare to even just a Bow as getting into Melee range seems like a death sentence.  Firearms are fun but sometimes 4 Pistols doesn't get the job done and really the Bow is faster and even nerfed Fire Arrows are better than Pistols. 

I have no idea what to spend the extra points on, so if anyone can recommend something...

2 hours ago, Archsenex said:

IMO most players in this game expect a fully complete and polished game, kind of like the people in the 70s-80s who bought kit cars... They want the final product shown in the brochure, not the kit that has to be put together over a 2 year period on a (not included) VW bug frame.

5 hours ago, Linix Blue said:

Curious as what you mean OP taming tree? Interested to know what is so OP about it?

Best way to farm almost anything?

A tame. Bear generates fiber incredibly fast. Rhino farms stone/flint faster then anything else in the game. Elephant farms wood faster. The only resources missing are Thatch and Metal. Metal isn't required in nearly the quantity as Fiber/Wood/Flint, and Thatch is a pain. 

Best way to PvP on foot? 

A tame. A tiger/wolf/lion are genuinely unbeatable on foot. Given, that might be because guns are worthless, bows have been nerfed into utter oblivion and melee weapons aren't meant to excel against melee based tames. 

Best way to raid a base?

A tame. Bear drawn cannon carts are the only way to efficiently raid most places. 

While I have qualms about nerfing Elephants, of all things, the taming tree truly is the most efficient, powerful and effective tree in the entire game for anything that isn't sailing. It is a 100% necessary tree to anyone who wants to efficiently compete in any part of the game. It can be done without, but only at extreme cost to ones overall productivity. 

• Like 1

I cant believe they would do this, i understand the premise from the get go to not make atlas focus on tames like ark but then why allow you to go through the insanely difficult and tedious process of sailing for specific food, sailing for specific islands to find tames, the arduous taming process only for them to not be worth a damn. This nerf for elephants needs to be reversed plain and simple and rhinos need a stone reduction, and we need something for thatch as well (giraffe?), otherwise take out high level taming all together and increase the rates to 2x over baseline permanently. If this isnt done you guys are going to turn alot of people off from playing your game that JUST CAME OUT, and i will be one of them.