Sign in to follow this  
CyanicEmber

Suggestions Vol I.

Seafaring:

Enable ships that have reached max level to become "Legendary" with a general server announcement, the ability to rechristen them once, and a large one time stat boost. This will allow for player created ships that become as infamous in-game as the Flying Dutchman, Black Pearl, or Queen Anne's Revenge are in other settings. Would be interesting if the maxed out Tarot-Tree could be used to "raise" them from the sea at high expense as well, even if only once or twice.

Provide a means to forcibly de-aggro water predators using a heavy single-use harpoon that lodges inside their bodies, or else chum buckets to lure them to a different location.

Ship of the Damned variants would do a lot to spice up encounters. Presumably these cursed soldiers should have access to multiple types of ammunition and shipwright techniques just as we do, so let's see them use those.

Hull and Sail skins, would be cool to see shredded "ghost sails" that glow in the dark, or Asian-style "ribbed" sails. I really like the "dragon-scale" shingles that appear on the aft of the Brigantine, and would like to see those kinds of patterns else where as well.

Iron-Sided ships at some point would make for an interesting, (but necessarily crazy expensive) feature.

Creatures and Taming:

I would suggest adding Mules as a tamable (or cross-breedable) creature which can move at standard walking pace even when encumbered, this way the only limiter on carrying good would be the inventory item cap and land-based caravans become more viable. (And while we're on the subject of cross-breeding, why not Ligers? It would be fun to have certain creatures only obtainable though advanced animal husbandry.)

Hummingbird "shoulder" tame that flutters around you and provides a Movement Speed Buff.

Owl shoulder tame that provides a fog AND shroud of war buff.

Make Crocodiles tamable but add a "Saltwater Intolerance" debuff that builds up in saltwater and causes DoT at 100%. I'm fine with crossing grid-tiles and maybe going from one island to another or assisting with deep-water dives, but obviously they cannot be allowed to viably replace sailing ships.

More variety in taming techniques and items, Muzzles, Halters, Lassos, Bird Feeders, Bird Traps, etc... All these things and more could spice up an diversify the process while giving us more options for how to approach the various tames.

Tools and Utility:

The ability to use filled water buckets and water jars in a hotbar to "douse" oneself and deactivated the "enflamed" debuff early.

When climbing picks break, auto equip the next pair in your inventory just like with bolas.

Adjust colored lantern lighting to be more useful and less like a blinding disco party, softer light would accomplish this better than the hard light it typically casts with most colors.

Add small visual indicators as to what kinds of locations the shovel will be most effective at digging up potatoes or worms or whatever else.

The ability to "entrench" torches in the ground or rocks in order to create a "standing-torch" esque stucture that provide some constant lighting cheaply for a short while.

Theming:

Even during the Golden Age of Piracy in the real world there were obviously hundreds of cultures surrounding and influence in the pirate aesthetic as well as many different types of pirates in different parts of the world. The romanticized aesthetic that the game currently uses is, I think, exactly what everyone really wanted out of a game like this. But with skins and such incoming and the reveal of the upcoming "Hydra Armor" that clearly has both Chinese and Japanese Samurai style influences in it's design, I am excited to bring more cultural influences and aesthetics to the world of Atlas as well. My main concern is how complete these "themes" will be. The armor is amazing, but to round it out it would be great to have a Naginata skin for the Pike, a Katana skin for the sword, and perhaps a Japanese or Chinese style bow skin as well, to say nothing of ship or structure skins. I know that's a lot of work, but since Atlas' lifeblood long-term will be cosmetic micro-transactions... I am optimistic.

I have a lot more idea I'd like to put out these, and I will probably do a second post at some point, but ATM I've gotta go and get seven teeth extracted... Happy sailing all! I wish you fair winds and following seas!

-CyanicEmber