Sign in to follow this  
Charon the Stygian

Not Too Proud to Ask for Help

I've never played a MMO, but liked this Pirate Theme and gave the game a try. I've been sailing around making mistakes as fast as possible. My experience so far:

1) Playing on a private server so that there is land available.

2) Leveled to 8 and set sail on my raft with a bed and a cabinet full of food.

3) Sailed around and spotted a nice spot on an uninhabited island. 

4) Land and was killed by a pair of wolves.

5) Busted down to naked trying to get my stuff back.

6) Gave up and try to regroup by running ashore and scavanging as much as possible before the predators kill me.

Now the solicitation for suggestions. Every island is absolutely crawling with snakes, wolves, and crocs. I can't tell what level they are until I'm too close to make a difference. Is it typical to have so many predators? Is the game play to fight a horde of predators every time you log on at your base?

This is tower defense not mmo, wrongly advertised hehe. Dunno how to help..., get bow, metal tools and stone building. Keep corpse running and suicide diving untill will get a stone wall going allowing to lure nearby cancer then smashing their heads as they try to bite thro an undestructible to them wall. Basicaly this.

Ah also..., many predators and animals can't go thro a wall made of doorways but player can, so there's always possibility to make traps with those and keep the predators inside so they don't respawn insteed of killing them.

Edited by Nightstrasza

Some islands are terrible. The first place I settled there were spawns of 4 or 5 crocs at a time with vultures and snakes to make it even more exciting. Where I am now I might see a wolf every two or three days. Other than that it's boars and girrafes.

I found an island where just alligators and giant snakes spawned. So I specced into bows fast and then built a nice safe house to sleep in with windows to shoot out of and a roof to shoot from.   Once you spec far enough into bows alligators and snakes are super easy.

Wolves are so fast I avoid them but there are none on my tropical island.

Wolves, lions, and tigers are slow in water, if you get chased pull them into the water and shoot them in the head with a bow.

Crocs are slow on land but fast in the water, avoid water and again use a bow.

Snakes have a janky hit box aim at their lower jaw for headshot damage.

Right now bows are your best bet for survival, just make sure you keep it repaired, it takes about 60 shots to break with normal arrows and 40 with fire arrows.

if you get crocs and wolves/lions/tigers at the same time, you're pretty much SoL.

I have a couple pieces of advice for you. The first is you need to learn the art of baiting predators away from your corpse to get your stuff back. Instead of giving in to the temptation of running directly back to your corpse, you should get into the general area of your corpse and attempt to get the predators' attention. Once you have it, run like a mad man in any direction that won't block your path back to your corpse.

If the predators in question are something obnoxiously fast like wolves, you're going to die multiple times before your path is clear. If it's something you can outrun like giant snakes just lead them in a big circle and you can usually get your corpse back in one go. 

Also, keep in mind there was no discernable attempt made to balance the fauna of any given island. I've seen islands where there are no predators to be found, and others where that's pretty much all there is all the time. So if one island is simply too obnoxious to deal with, there are sometimes islands even in the same grid where the opposite is true. Basically, it pays to explore. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Warspectre said:

I have a couple pieces of advice for you. The first is you need to learn the art of baiting predators away from your corpse to get your stuff back. Instead of giving in to the temptation of running directly back to your corpse, you should get into the general area of your corpse and attempt to get the predators' attention. Once you have it, run like a mad man in any direction that won't block your path back to your corpse.

If the predators in question are something obnoxiously fast like wolves, you're going to die multiple times before your path is clear. If it's something you can outrun like giant snakes just lead them in a big circle and you can usually get your corpse back in one go. 

Also, keep in mind there was no discernable attempt made to balance the fauna of any given island. I've seen islands where there are no predators to be found, and others where that's pretty much all there is all the time. So if one island is simply too obnoxious to deal with, there are sometimes islands even in the same grid where the opposite is true. Basically, it pays to explore. 

Not realy pays to explore, everything is taken at this point, grab whatever can.

You should also get into a habit of keeping backup weapons near your bed, having a bow and some arrows makes corpse runs easier, you can pick off the predators and reclaim your shit.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nightstrasza said:

Not realy pays to explore, everything is taken at this point, grab whatever can.

He said he's playing on a private server, so I would be surprised if this was an actual issue for him. For the official servers, yeah, it can be a challenge to find a place to build, without a doubt, but it still pays to explore. 

13 minutes ago, arzosah said:

You should also get into a habit of keeping backup weapons near your bed, having a bow and some arrows makes corpse runs easier, you can pick off the predators and reclaim your shit.

This is good advice, and you should definitely do this as soon as you can. I know this game got tagged as a survival game, but it's not, it's a dying game. You're gonna die, repeatedly. There is no survival here. So if you prepare for that, it can be a huge help. 

3 hours ago, Charon the Stygian said:

Now the solicitation for suggestions. Every island is absolutely crawling with snakes, wolves, and crocs. I can't tell what level they are until I'm too close to make a difference. Is it typical to have so many predators? Is the game play to fight a horde of predators every time you log on at your base?

I would add one thing to the very good advices above,

You do not care about what level anything is... Predators are going to be dangerous even lvl 1, passive animals you can see their level by getting close without fear of getting attacked... The level itself is irrelevant for actual fight, only time it really makes a difference are Alpha animals because they tend to be 150 or 200 levels above anything else... But you will recognize Alphas by their glowing red-orange aura.

7 minutes ago, Will Parrot said:

I would add one thing to the very good advices above,

You do not care about what level anything is... Predators are going to be dangerous even lvl 1, passive animals you can see their level by getting close without fear of getting attacked... The level itself is irrelevant for actual fight, only time it really makes a difference are Alpha animals because they tend to be 150 or 200 levels above anything else... But you will recognize Alphas by their glowing red-orange aura.

Additionally with alphas, even passive alphas will attack you if you aggro an animal of their type.

if you spook a horse or monkey any nearby alphas of those types will become aggressive.

if you attack a cow nearby bulls will attack, this includes non alpha bulls.

I lost a bunch of animals because a horse walked to close and spooked itself, causing an alpha to attack them.

Edited by arzosah

1 hour ago, arzosah said:

Additionally with alphas, even passive alphas will attack you if you aggro an animal of their type.

if you spook a horse or monkey any nearby alphas of those types will become aggressive.

I lost a bunch of animals because a horse walked to close and spooked itself, causing an alpha to attack them.

Also one of the deadliest alphas in the game is the monkey.

Huge damage reduction + throws poop = only ranged alpha.

1 hour ago, arzosah said:

As a general rule, every animal which you see a heart over shows that he has a mate nearby, if you attack, the mate(s) will jump in the fight as well, beware !

Edited by Will Parrot

8 minutes ago, Will Parrot said:

As a general rule, every animal which you see a heart over shows that he has a mate nearby, if you attack, the mate(s) will jump in the fight as well, beware !

Horses don't need to be attacked, they willingly come to players just to be suprised that's "eew" to get close an we have to pay for this idiotic mechanic by being chased with 1-2 alpha horses.

I didn't see it on the first post,  but after a raft your bed is your best buddy.  You lost all your items because you respawned in a Freeoprt zone.  If you at least put a bed on your raft you can respawn to it and have close (not always accessible but close :classic_cool:) availability of your old body to loot and recover your goodies.  Better yet, add a chest or cabinet on your raft to keep things in and only carry what you need when you go to the island.  Since you play on a private server you shouldn't have to worry about griefers sinking your raft. 

Edited by Hambo

1 minute ago, Nightstrasza said:

Horses don't need to be attacked, they willingly come to players just to be suprised that's "eew" to get close an we have to pay for this idiotic mechanic by being chased with 1-2 alpha horses.

Yes those are specific indeed 🙂

2 hours ago, arzosah said:

This was my first lesson learned. Had an overabundance of food and water and no redundant tools or weapons......

Then dead, broke, and SOL. Thanks for all of the tips folks.