Sign in to follow this  
Ferron_Arrumekan

Holding pen for tames

2019-01-18_00-20-05.png?width=384&height

This is honestly stupid. My new crew member, Glyph, logged in to see that in the company log. Apparently, either A. Alpha wolf spawned INSIDE of our pen that is built OVER THE WATER, by the way, on ceiling tiles and pillars, fully closed in with stone walls and a behemoth gate or B. The alpha wolf was attacking things THROUGH the stone wall. Not entirely sure which is which. Glyph said all of our tames were piled into 1 corner, so.. No idea what happened. All I know is it needs to be fixed either through an update - basically making it to where wild things and tamed things can't hit things through walls or B. Wild things can't spawn within say.. 2 building blocks, so like 2 foundations, of a player owned structure. Something. This is the second time this has happened now. We didn't loose any big tames, thankfully. It's still annoying though

Iam not sure if they spawn inside or just glitching through the wall. But my pen is always attacked by hostile wildlife, becaus the want to get inside. There must be also a bug in their targeting, because there is no line of sight. 

I can not understand why the wildlife is causing so much trouble here. These are all problems that did not exist in Ark or at least were resolved. They just had to copy the content and change the skins.

Just now, Tezcatlipoca said:

Iam not sure if they spawn inside or just glitching through the wall. But my pen is always attacked by hostile wildlife, becaus the want to get inside. There must be also a bug in their targeting, because there is no line of sight. 

I can not understand why the wildlife is causing so much trouble here. These are all problems that did not exist in Ark or at least were resolved. They just had to copy the content and change the skins.

Indeed. Am about to completely change my pen for a third time. Am gonna leave it built in the water, but am going to raise my stilts so the pen is equal with my house. That honestly should resolve 99% of my problems, unless they can spawn inside of this pen of course. Raising everything up 1 wall height should mean that no wild life can touch any of my tames. Fingers crossed

They spawn inside only if having floors on the ground, if the pen is above ground or water in air then they won't spawn there. What happened is propably thy animals put their heads thro walls allowing that alpha to bite it to death. Make it higher we guess.

(Also nice draco avatar)

Edited by Nightstrasza

1 minute ago, Nightstrasza said:

They spawn inside only if having floors on the ground, if the pen is above ground or water in air then they won't spawn there. What happened is propably thy animals put their heads thro walls allowing that alpha to bite it to death. Make it higher we guess.

(Also nice draco avatar)

Tis one of my commissions. Thanks! That's the idea we had though, to just raise everything up by 1 wall height. Am gonna do that as soon as I get the ship back to base. Am gonna have to go collect multiple tons of stone and wood though.. Oh boy. Gonna be a busy night

• Like 1

We've found that wilds clip through stone walls, so we've double up on our pen walls - by building stone outside, then a wooden layer inside. We've lost no tames since doing so... we've also made our walls at least 4 high so nothing can jump over the wall and have built on foundations.  Since yours is over the ocean, I suggest doubling up on the ceilings as well.

I know it's a crude fix - but at least it'll protect your tames until Grapeshot sorts the clipping through walls issue (if that happens, since it's still a thing in ARK).

Double walls and even better if you raise the pen itself 2 floors up if one manages to glitch through.

Hmm.. Noted. Am gonna play around with things. Gonna have to spend the next couple of hours farming up materials.. And sadly, out of our 9 man crew, I'm the only one on at the moment, so this is gonna take a while to farm up

we have tripled wall but we get spawns inside, all stone and foundations etc.. we get spawns even in the walls bufferzone.
Only safe zone now for us on a brig labelled Noah's Ark with no sails.

Lost soo many nice high level tames

Build it atleast 2 floors high, also double wall your pen. Build a feedtrough in the middle. Put your tames on passive the sea waves let the head of the wolf glitch trough. 

We had a 5 high, we had a wild wolf in the upper floor, doors only to access upstairs.
Some areas like ours (J6) you get spawns literally everywhere but ships.
And of course huge quantities, battling 2 alpha lions, 7 wolfes, few snakes n crocs right now again. At least crocs have been nerfed to be a one hit docile thing.

2 ways i have found to protect tames in your base, one already mentioned, build a pen on 2 high pillars, so wilds cannot bite through the walls, and the other success i have had, is simply wall off the entire base area, with stone gates, or walls, making sure no gaps exist for the wilds to get into your base area.

Of course this would not stop the spawns inside your base, but luckily i have not had any, not sure if it is because i have a few feeding troughs, i know in Ark, they used to stop spawning in a radius around them, but not sure if that is the same in Atlas.

Edited by nosscar

3 hours ago, nosscar said:

... i have a few feeding troughs, i know in Ark, they used to stop spawning in a radius around them, but not sure if that is the same in Atlas.

It's not the same. I had two wolves spawn inside my enclosed stone building on Wednesday, within the trough feed radius.

Animals can eat through walls, it is know. It's why you double wall and only use foundations. They technically can spawn inside still but over water thats 0% unless that's their original spawn-in location. 

This IS why un mine i make one corridor each side of with another wall. 

So one wall the corridor and annother wall. 

For thé entrance i will put two Big door.

1 hour ago, Dexter said:

Animals can eat through walls, it is know. It's why you double wall and only use foundations. They technically can spawn inside still but over water thats 0% unless that's their original spawn-in location. 

Mine's double stone walled with single/double/triple stone foundations, depending on the ground height. Also the ground floor is empty, and there's no line of sight to sleepers or livestock.

I never get problems from animals outside, but do get the odd spawn inside. Casualties so far are several sleepers, a chicken or two, a cow, and several monkeys.

The safest base I've built I surrounded with a wall made of stone foundations stacked 3 high, then a floor of stone foundations, and then inside that put up stone walls for my base. Even glitchy obnoxious predators have trouble getting to me in there. I found out the hard way pretty early on that a single wall ground level is absolutely no protection whatsoever. 

A croc, for instance, has a bite that can hit you on top of a two-story building. The absolute safest height would be four walls high if you don't want to go to the trouble of making a wall of foundations around your base, but you would still want to build wide. Even then I'd use stacked foundations for the walls of the first two stories.