Sign in to follow this  
Ransurias

Flamethrower sloop - is it viable?

Thinking of adding a few swivel guns to my sloop's front in addition to medium cannons and loading all of them with liquid flame. How quickly can this take down ships compared to regular cannons?

Cool! Here's my current design. 3 flamethrowers should be pretty solid DPS against most ships, right? I'm also using wooden roofs and ceilings as armor plating.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/957479470588896281/4127DBC3EC5A423AD4788DA6C6132407A678E9FE/

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/957479470588896097/A4D1AAEE2E6C57A387671C99A438377D5BDBCA25/

5 minutes ago, Ransurias said:

Cool! Here's my current design. 3 flamethrowers should be pretty solid DPS against most ships, right? I'm also using wooden roofs and ceilings as armor plating.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/957479470588896281/4127DBC3EC5A423AD4788DA6C6132407A678E9FE/

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/957479470588896097/A4D1AAEE2E6C57A387671C99A438377D5BDBCA25/

That's pretty bad ass! May have to do something with swivel guns now.

2 minutes ago, Maar said:

That's pretty bad ass! May have to do something with swivel guns now.

Thanks! I'll probably be adding some more cannons on the back as well. Possibly a large cannon that could be used while the sloop is facing away from the enemy while running away from danger.

I think you'd be better off going with a couple of large cannons, you wouldn't need very many of them and with the sloops speed and maneuverability combined with their range and damage you could potentially take down a slower enemy while either staying out of range or dodging long-range return fire. You can only have a max of 5 crew I've heard so you're wasting resources putting more than a couple of cannons on sloop anyway. 

My philosophy is if you can only use a few guns you better make them big guns. 

36 minutes ago, Warspectre said:

I think you'd be better off going with a couple of large cannons, you wouldn't need very many of them and with the sloops speed and maneuverability combined with their range and damage you could potentially take down a slower enemy while either staying out of range or dodging long-range return fire. You can only have a max of 5 crew I've heard so you're wasting resources putting more than a couple of cannons on sloop anyway. 

My philosophy is if you can only use a few guns you better make them big guns. 

My counterargument is that flamethrowers are currently extremely powerful, and arguably overpowered. The idea is to get in close, deal maximum DPS, and get out fast rather than use cannons, which are slow and loud (although they do have much more range). The medium cannons are mostly there for longer range engagements when getting in close is difficult or impossible, such as when we're chasing a fleeing ship.

As for the sloop's speed and maneuverability, you might be interested to know that the sloop is actually a relatively sluggish ship compared to schooners or brigandines with speed sails. So... if I'm attacking a parked ship that's harassing my base, I might as well have flamethrowers to maximize my DPS before the enemy can react.

When it comes to "big guns," the flamethrower is pretty much the biggest gun there is at the moment. It might not have much range, but it's super powerful.

Edited by Ransurias

I would drop the cannons, as they are added weight, and I would go down to 2 swivel guns.  You only have crew for 3.  So having 3 extra weapons is pointless, unless you plan on putting the first 4 levels in crew.   

• Like 1

You have to have PC crew on the flame swivels.  Trying to use NPC crew and struggling to get them to fire properly.

30 minutes ago, Phule said:

You have to have PC crew on the flame swivels.  Trying to use NPC crew and struggling to get them to fire properly.

It seems to me that that’s just random, the one time they do excellent damage and the other time 0. 

13 hours ago, Warspectre said:

with the sloops speed ...

you could potentially take down a slower enemy

tell me moore!

You wanna know how powerful greek fire is? We had a schooner with 12 medium cannons and two large cannons, all crew in flak armor, upgraded structure pieces, archers with fire arrows in the crows nest, etc. We were attacked by a stripped down schooner with 3 medium cannons (that they didn't even use) and one swivel gun...on the first pass, the greek fire killed almost all of my crew and all players including those below deck. We weren't too worried at first because the remaining crew were still firing, the ship had sailed past us as we made a sharp turn and they would have to turn around and come back for the next pass, and it was only one swivel gun, right? When we re-spawned at our beds, our ship was almost completely under water already and sank within seconds. The other ship looked to be in perfect health still, and they simply sailed away. So, if you have one swivel gun and just a few crew members on an unloaded ship with speed sails, you can sink ships with loads of crew and tons of firepower. Yeah I think it needs to be re-balanced, or what is the point of all this fancy stuff when a few sloops with swivel guns can sink the baddest galleons?

25 minutes ago, ViperGuyMike said:

You wanna know how powerful greek fire is? We had a schooner with 12 medium cannons and two large cannons, all crew in flak armor, upgraded structure pieces, archers with fire arrows in the crows nest, etc. We were attacked by a stripped down schooner with 3 medium cannons (that they didn't even use) and one swivel gun...on the first pass, the greek fire killed almost all of my crew and all players including those below deck. We weren't too worried at first because the remaining crew were still firing, the ship had sailed past us as we made a sharp turn and they would have to turn around and come back for the next pass, and it was only one swivel gun, right? When we re-spawned at our beds, our ship was almost completely under water already and sank within seconds. The other ship looked to be in perfect health still, and they simply sailed away. So, if you have one swivel gun and just a few crew members on an unloaded ship with speed sails, you can sink ships with loads of crew and tons of firepower. Yeah I think it needs to be re-balanced, or what is the point of all this fancy stuff when a few sloops with swivel guns can sink the baddest galleons?

I'm not so sure about all that. I attacked a parked brigandine last night with greek fire, and it took a solid minute or so to take out two front planks. The damage is decent, but there's just no way you can sink a big ship as fast as you're describing with just one swivel gun. I can't speak for its anti-personnel capabilities, but the damage to actual planks doesn't seem nearly as godlike as some people are making it out to be. Maybe the brigandine I was shooting had upgraded planks, or maybe brigandine planks are tougher than schooner planks (although both ships use medium planks). You can shoot explosive barrels out of medium cannons, and those do insane damage -- around 5,000 plank health. Maybe they used cannons while you guys were dead?

I really wish I had captured footage. I'll probably make that my mission tonight or tomorrow.

---

EDIT: here's a video showcasing greek fire in addition to most other weapons. Greek fire is at 3:55. Notice how much damage explosive barrels do later on in the video.

Edited by Ransurias

Yeah, maybe they used something else while we were dead, but they still had to turn around and obviously we were out for over a minute with the pvp timer. Still though, they clearly won the battle by an overwhelming margin.