ChromeSDK

RELEASE: Atlas Server Controller (my program to help setup and run privately, all 225 grids of the official servers for solo players and small groups on average hardware)

Hello! I think my program is finally ready for public consumption. Thank you for waiting! Its still not even close to perfect and probably has a few bugs. Let's just call it an alpha release for now.

Original video:

Autoswitching feature:  

As a refresher this is the program that will dynamically help you open and close servers on the fly so you can play privately on the full official map, with just average hardware. If you can run at least 1 server, this will work, allowing people to even run it on the same computer they are playing on. Main bullet point features:

* easily update the ports and ip address across all 225 grids on your map. No more needing to tediously update everything individually on the ServerGridEdior.

* Automatically generate all 225 .bat files to start each of the servers

* Open and close the server you are on plus the 4 surrounding you (automatically even), any 4 individual servers on the map, or a combination of the two, control up to 9 servers at a time.

If your computer can handle more than 1 server, even better! If it can handle 5 grids the program will even track your location and dynamically open all the grids around you so you won't even have to look at the program while playing!

A bunch has been added since I lasted showed off the program. Now I include steamcmd and a one click sever setup button as well as an update server function. I also added a redis server on and off switch, so it really now is a one stop shop for nearly everything. It even saves all your settings/locations on close so you don't have to remember anything. The only extra thing you'll need is the servergrideditor from grapeshot.

I also wrote out an insanely indepth instruction list, included in the download to hopefully walk anyone, no matter what comfort level, through setting everything up.

My apologies, apparently Windows doesn't like the website I setup to download and is blocking everything, so I have to use something stupid like dropbox... Link will also be in the discord server if this stops working.

v1.5.4 changelog:

Fix for Autosaving on exit not functioning properly. I won't say this is 100% working, but it's the most I will be able to do on my side given the program doesn't actually touch the servers, it's still all dependent on Atlas' autosaving on exit code firing off properly, which can be hit or miss, but in my preliminary tests, I was 5 for 5 on not having a slight rollback on exit and reload of entire server like it was happening before. Rollback may still happen on server updates because it seems for some reason the server is programmed to automatically do that?

Fix for slight desync on individual grids, this goes hand in hand on the autosaving not functioning at 100% when switching servers, which may have caused desync, which in turn causes problems reconnecting, problems with the map not updating ship locations, problems with characters not loading.

Fix for grids not shutting down on switch or on exit because another square has the server loaded up even though it was not turned on.

NEWEST VERSION:

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/jp37x0kras14x8j/ASCv1.5.4.zip

OLD VERSION:

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/lbei9x5t99gaggl/ASCv1.5.zip 

If you run into any issues/need help on the setup, feel free to join the discord here: www.discord.gg/YHGWPyd  

Discord is also where future updates will be posted until I can figure out why Windows hates my website.

****If you are trying to add this to an existing server, please backup everything before you do... I doubt there will be issues, but you need to be safe, and I haven't actually testing doing that.

Edited by ChromeSDK
Updated version
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 6

Question. I want to run the server from a separate PC to the one I'm playing on. Which of the 2 PC's does your software need to be on? Ie do I need a screen/keyboard/mouse attached to the server PC to use the ui?

8 minutes ago, AntonyVW said:

Question. I want to run the server from a separate PC to the one I'm playing on. Which of the 2 PC's does your software need to be on? Ie do I need a screen/keyboard/mouse attached to the server PC to use the ui?

It needs to be on the server pc. I just use teamviewer to control it from my main pc since its a super lightweight program and free.

Do you plan to make a version that can be used for large servers? Would be great if I could have like 5 dedicated machines all talking with this software and spinning up servers only as needed, would be great for a small server that wants a big map and might want to grow over time into a large server.

Keep it up!

This is amazing - I did get it up and running in about 1/2 hour. I'm using internal IP only on my local network. Did a few test runs between grids using admin cheats and all is working as expected. I'm running a i5 3.4ghz (4cpu) dedicated server with 16 gb ram. Running 5 servers I'm at 12.9gb ram and 47% CPU with the line below added to the defaultengine.ini (before the initial launch of the server).

[/script/onlinesubsystemutils.ipnetdriver]
NetServerMaxTickRate=15

A few things that had me stumped:

--You need to add your Steam username and select the tracking check box.

--Running on a local network, I need to know the box IP address and port of the starting server. The starting server port is a bit annoying so it would be amazing if the port could be displayed in the server controller boxes. To run on a local network I need to generate a new "Favorite" in the Steam server list. Only reason I run lan is that I have some kind of blocking port problem with my router (likely because I am actually running a wireless network). I'll do some tests connecting a server directly to my gateway over the weekend.

Anyway - just amazing and thank you for this.

Edited by Malecos

Thank you so much. You are the one who makes your dreams come true. Some questions: Can it work on fewer grids, such as 9x9, 81 grids? Can you edit all grid files like game. ini at the same time?

So I can put this on my server I own ? Also how many people could I have on total with a 6 core 32 gig ram server ?

Some questions:

1. Are the four grids on the right at four corners? They can't follow the switch.

2. Can only be applied to 225 grids?

Ok so if you have friends playing pretty much have to stay in group so this is best for single players then 😞. Still great work 

I keep getting an error telling me its timed out when I try to run the game.  I know it's going to be something to do with ports. Any suggestions?

Also. I have a dynamic IP which constantly changes. How do I deal with this?

Edited by AntonyVW

One option to possibly get this kind of concept working on a dedicated server level might be to use 'SetGlobalPause'. While it wouldn't stop RAM consumption, it should still keep the server alive but hopefully in a state where it demands much less from the CPU. You would need something to monitor the number of connected players (once every five seconds maybe?) and to disable or enable 'SetGlobalPause' accordingly via RCON.

Edited by Ixel

love tis took me 30-40 mis to get going , why u dont have more likes i dont know awesome bit of software 

Can you choose to move in 3X3? Keep 9 servers. This avoids seeing red walls across the grid. In addition, it's better to minimize the startup server. I only have one computer, and the server window has a little impact on the experience. Thank you for your work.

Thank you very much ChromeSDK this is all i wanted since Atlas release, i'm an hardcore single player user, 'cause having family and daily busy routine, i really can't play multiplayer in this kind of games, while i really would play a game like this without having compromises about gameworld's size.

You're the man, you made it and appreciate your efforts so much.

If i can i would give you a donation as a big: thank you very much @ChromeSDK.

• Like 1

@qqjp All of your questions are answered in the videos and the original post that the OP made about this tool here:

I hope this info helps you. 

For advanced treasure maps, if the grid is not online, the treasure map will not appear, and you will find an empty bottle.

Sorry! I have been helping people out on discord and reddit since release and I kind of completely forgot that I also posted it here! Now I will attempt to use multiquote and answer some questions!!!

On 1/17/2019 at 4:29 PM, arzosah said:

Do you have any plan on making a Linux version of this tool?

As of right now, no, but if enough people want it, I can surely look into what it would take when I do a rewrite of the app.

On 1/17/2019 at 7:31 PM, Evident said:

Do you plan to make a version that can be used for large servers? Would be great if I could have like 5 dedicated machines all talking with this software and spinning up servers only as needed, would be great for a small server that wants a big map and might want to grow over time into a large server.

Keep it up!

Allowing for multiple hosts is a feature I am looking to add in a big update down the line here.

On 1/17/2019 at 8:00 PM, Malecos said:

This is amazing - I did get it up and running in about 1/2 hour. I'm using internal IP only on my local network. Did a few test runs between grids using admin cheats and all is working as expected. I'm running a i5 3.4ghz (4cpu) dedicated server with 16 gb ram. Running 5 servers I'm at 12.9gb ram and 47% CPU with the line below added to the defaultengine.ini (before the initial launch of the server).

[/script/onlinesubsystemutils.ipnetdriver]
NetServerMaxTickRate=15

A few things that had me stumped:

--You need to add your Steam username and select the tracking check box.

--Running on a local network, I need to know the box IP address and port of the starting server. The starting server port is a bit annoying so it would be amazing if the port could be displayed in the server controller boxes. To run on a local network I need to generate a new "Favorite" in the Steam server list. Only reason I run lan is that I have some kind of blocking port problem with my router (likely because I am actually running a wireless network). I'll do some tests connecting a server directly to my gateway over the weekend.

Anyway - just amazing and thank you for this.

1 - the needing of steam info is because there really is no way (that is easy and lightweight) to consistently track players, so I do it through the steam server browser. It checks the initial server you are on and once it notices you are gone, it pings the 4 surrounding and when it finds you, it switches and makes that the middle.

2 - I know its a bit convoluted, but after the servers are running if you click on the debug line, it will show you each server's bat file name that is currently running, so you can use that to open the .bat file and look at what port the starting server is, otherwise you can open up the map in the servergrideditor and see which is which.

On 1/17/2019 at 10:32 PM, qqjp said:

Thank you so much. You are the one who makes your dreams come true. Some questions: Can it work on fewer grids, such as 9x9, 81 grids? Can you edit all grid files like game. ini at the same time?

Yeah, technically it would work. It doesn't have to use all the servers. Same goes for the .bat file generation, sure it will generate 225 .bat's but you can just use the ones you need. Editing the json, I am not sure if the ports will exactly line up. I would have to test. But its a functionality that I am looking to add in the future.

On 1/18/2019 at 1:28 AM, qqjp said:

Some questions:

1. Are the four grids on the right at four corners? They can't follow the switch.

2. Can only be applied to 225 grids?

1. Only the 5 servers will do the auto switch. the other four you'd have to set manually.

2. right now, technically yes, I mean I guess it would work if you tried less, I just think the ports may not line up. Looking to add this in the future.

5 minutes ago, qqjp said:

For advanced treasure maps, if the grid is not online, the treasure map will not appear, and you will find an empty bottle.

Yes this is a known issue. I have written about it in the "common issues" section of the instructions. There is really nothing I can do about, it seems to be the way they have set up the treasures, it must trigger something on the server when a map generates for that grid, so if it doesn't find it, it can't generate.

I am loving this tool!  I got it up and running in less than an hour by following your instructions.  I did have a few questions...

1) Is there a way to force a server save prior to shutting down the servers to prevent rollback?

2) How do I make it start in PvE mode?

Hopefully someone on here can help me. I have opened all the ports on my router and windows fire wall.

when I run the program the server starts and then I get this after its running .

I have not been able to find my server on the list let as well.

Fatal error!

VERSION: 15.1
UnknownModule!UnknownFunction (0x0000025ac5b85940) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
steamclient64.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00007ffb6a2aefbf) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
steamclient64.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00007ffb6a2b671a) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
steamclient64.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00007ffb6a94a987) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
steamclient64.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00007ffb6a2b3d8d) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
steamclient64.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00007ffb6a2b085e) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
steamclient64.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00007ffb6a74a4fa) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
steam_api64.dll!UnknownFunction (0x0000000072f856c4) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
AtlasGame.exe!FOnlineAsyncTaskManagerSteam::OnlineTick() (0x00007ff7b6d1d449) + 0 bytes [h:\yarkupdatelivereal\engine\source\runtime\online\onlinesubsystemsteam\private\onlineasynctaskmanagersteam.cpp:130]
AtlasGame.exe!FOnlineAsyncTaskManager::Run() (0x00007ff7b5bebb1a) + 0 bytes [h:\yarkupdatelivereal\engine\source\runtime\online\onlinesubsystem\private\onlineasynctaskmanager.cpp:61]
AtlasGame.exe!FRunnableThreadWin::Run() (0x00007ff7b57035b6) + 0 bytes [h:\yarkupdatelivereal\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsrunnablethread.cpp:73]
AtlasGame.exe!FRunnableThreadWin::GuardedRun() (0x00007ff7b5703488) + 8 bytes [h:\yarkupdatelivereal\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsrunnablethread.cpp:26]
KERNEL32.DLL!UnknownFunction (0x00007ffbc9533034) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
ntdll.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00007ffbc9963691) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
ntdll.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00007ffbc9963691) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]

Crash in runnable thread OnlineAsyncTaskThreadSteam

I love this tool, how ever I think I have noticed an issue I really hope someone can help me with, The controller works like a dream, I started my own servers but headed to an area I know really well in Lawless with a bed on my raft, when I died it would not show as a spawn point. I made my way back and renamed the bed on the raft this time it allowed me to spawn ONCE, then when I died again no spawn point on my raft, it seems I need to rename my Bad every time surely this isn't right.

Hi.

@ChromeSDK You are a GENIUS ! and for that i've buied you a coffee.

For the future of your app can you add something like a default game.ini and a default gameusersetting.ini ?

Because at the moment when i launch a server for the first time i have to shut it down to give it the same config than the other one and then turn it ON again before to switch on it. 

I know that i could add the default game.ini with servergrid editor but not the gameusersetting... and with a good editor it take me quite the same time to edit one or two file 🙂 

Thanks !