Sign in to follow this  
Migolcow

What are the known NPC uses?

Right now I know they can:

1) Be assigned to Cannons and ordered to fire from the ship wheel or podium.

2) Be assigned to swivel/puckle guns and set to attack tames/players, or just wild, etc.    IE base/ship defense.

3) Keep ship decay from happening while docked and doing their sweeping motion

4) Get armor equipped for better survival against sniping and such

5) Be assigned to sails for ez mode ship navigation, only requiring one guy at the wheel.

They also need to be fed both from a Larder and Ship Resource box with coins, or have the food and coins deposited in their inventory.

From what I've been able to gather

1) They cannot equip a weapon that is left in inventory, or in other words their offensive combat potential outside of artillery is pretty much nada?    They can and will attack seagulls on sight though...and climb on other ships in the process of chasing the damn birds and make them over the crew limit -_-

2) They can be assigned to steer a ship, HOWEVER they have no AI against sandbars or the like, IE this function is one you should never use.

(sidenote to any lurking devs, we would TOTALLY risk someone attacking our ship if we could record a navigational path for an npc to follow.    It would allow us some relief from the monotony of sailing and allow opportunities for attackers...some kind of course charting thing in seafaring or captaineering would be great and lore friendly!)

3) While their sweeping motion stops decay, contrary to rumor I have not been able to get them to repair with a hammer in their inventory

Other things I would love to see NPCs do (but I don't think they can) would include things like harvesting nearby crops once ready, putting them on follow and harvest mode with a pick/axe/sickle, and similar menial jobs.    Anyone know of any other uses I haven't named?

• Like 1

They repair when they are sweeping you dont need a hammer.

You need a ship resource chest and all required mats for this to work

Edited by Case of the Scurvy

6 minutes ago, Case of the Scurvy said:

They repair when they are sweeping you dont need a hammer.

You need a ship resource chest and all required mats for this to work

I tried this and watched a damaged portion, never got repaired

I did notice that we took no decay damage though, and someone else on the crew confirmed that.     Of course, could be glitched npc or the plank was out of range or w/e, but can anyone confirm they've seen repairs happening from NPCs alone?

There is an ingame canvas and paintbrush. 

I make mine pose for nudes.

I mean...

Red makes them pose for nudes.

I would never do that.

*clears throat awkwardly*

Sooooooo how about that local sports team?

Just now, boomervoncannon said:

There is an ingame canvas and paintbrush. 

I make mine pose for nudes.

I mean...

Red makes them pose for nudes.

I would never do that.

*clears throat awkwardly*

Sooooooo how about that local sports team? 

It was Ugly Joan 9-toes senior wasn't it?   That floozy.

27 minutes ago, Migolcow said:

Right now I know they can:

1) Be assigned to Cannons and ordered to fire from the ship wheel or podium.

2) Be assigned to swivel/puckle guns and set to attack tames/players, or just wild, etc.    IE base/ship defense.

3) Keep ship decay from happening while docked and doing their sweeping motion

4) Get armor equipped for better survival against sniping and such

5) Be assigned to sails for ez mode ship navigation, only requiring one guy at the wheel.

They also need to be fed both from a Larder and Ship Resource box with coins, or have the food and coins deposited in their inventory.

From what I've been able to gather

1) They cannot equip a weapon that is left in inventory, or in other words their offensive combat potential outside of artillery is pretty much nada?    They can and will attack seagulls on sight though...and climb on other ships in the process of chasing the damn birds and make them over the crew limit -_-

2) They can be assigned to steer a ship, HOWEVER they have no AI against sandbars or the like, IE this function is one you should never use.

(sidenote to any lurking devs, we would TOTALLY risk someone attacking our ship if we could record a navigational path for an npc to follow.    It would allow us some relief from the monotony of sailing and allow opportunities for attackers...some kind of course charting thing in seafaring or captaineering would be great and lore friendly!)

3) While their sweeping motion stops decay, contrary to rumor I have not been able to get them to repair with a hammer in their inventory

Other things I would love to see NPCs do (but I don't think they can) would include things like harvesting nearby crops once ready, putting them on follow and harvest mode with a pick/axe/sickle, and similar menial jobs.    Anyone know of any other uses I haven't named?

You have to place the weapon in their inventory and left click to bring up the context menu and select Equip. They can only equip melee weapons ATM, not sure if the devs are ever gonna change this or not, but it would be nice if they could use guns or bows or something. 

Their radial wheel mentions harvesting, but I haven't figured out a way to get them to harvest anything. I don't know if that's for the future or whether there's some trick to it, there's so very little information about how some things are supposed to work. 

And as some other poster mentioned, yes, they'll operate elevators for you as well. 

• Like 1

Ok good to know on the melee weapons at least.    Elevator use is...interesting

Edited by Migolcow

48 minutes ago, Migolcow said:

I tried this and watched a damaged portion, never got repaired

I did notice that we took no decay damage though, and someone else on the crew confirmed that.     Of course, could be glitched npc or the plank was out of range or w/e, but can anyone confirm they've seen repairs happening from NPCs alone?

It takes time and they do like one plank at a time. 

Accommodations speeds this up. Also as a side note they do not repair anything in the boat only the outside parts ie planks.

Side note i have seen this and always use crew to repair.

Edited by Case of the Scurvy