Sign in to follow this  
MagicPuncher

Ship Deck Demolishing

Twice now I have tried to demolish something small like a ceiling tile on the deck of my ship and accidentally demolished the whole deck with everything on it. Today I lost 6 large cannons, helm, 6 water barrels, and my captains quarters with smithy, larder, SRB, perserving bag, etc. in it. Obviously it was my fault, but this could simply be fixed by making the timer (how long it takes the radial menu to "fill up" before you demolish it to be a noticably longer time than any normal building piece. That would be enough to let you know something wasn't right. Would be a very easy fix that could save a lot of headache and kicking oneself. Off to rebuild.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MagicPuncher said:

Twice now I have tried to demolish something small like a ceiling tile on the deck of my ship and accidentally demolished the whole deck with everything on it. Today I lost 6 large cannons, helm, 6 water barrels, and my captains quarters with smithy, larder, SRB, perserving bag, etc. in it. Obviously it was my fault, but this could simply be fixed by making the timer (how long it takes the radial menu to "fill up" before you demolish it to be a noticably longer time than any normal building piece. That would be enough to let you know something wasn't right. Would be a very easy fix that could save a lot of headache and kicking oneself. Off to rebuild.

It is long enough to prevent you from accidental clicks. You're able to see in the center of the radial menu what are you about to demolish, but to execute it you need to click a mouse button on it. Just don't click it before reading that. The longer timer won't help at all if you're clicking your mouse without reading anyway. Any longer timer for demolishing would be too long IMO. 

What it actually needs to have the fill up timer on is ship release, already suggested.

Edited by Bushma

6 hours ago, MagicPuncher said:

Never have been a fan of increasing timers especially when building/demoing a lot of things.  But I think they already have an increased timer for the cliff platforms, they could probably use something like that, it just might make salvaging ships a bit of a pain since I believe that uses the same timer. 

Also just a tip water jars weigh a lot less than barrels and end up holding more water ex. 1 water barrel = 550kg weight and holds 500 water / 3 water jars = 15 kg weight and holds 600 water.

They could better embed the ship demo in the menu to make sure you actually want to scuttle the ship. Don't need to adjust the timer, scuttle timer is actually longer than normal demo of walls etc. 

7 hours ago, Bushma said:

It is long enough to prevent you from accidental clicks. You're able to see in the center of the radial menu what are you about to demolish, but to execute it you need to click a mouse button on it. Just don't click it before reading that. The longer timer won't help at all if you're clicking your mouse without reading anyway. Any longer timer for demolishing would be too long IMO. 

What it actually needs to have the fill up timer on is ship release, already suggested.

I think the longer timer WOULD help accidental clicks. I can be looking directly at a staircase, see it's name, health, etc, hold E to go to demolish and then actually be demolishing the ship deck. I know it says it in the center of the radial menu, but I think a longer timer would definitely help. The longer timer has stopped me on more than one occasion from accidentally demoing a cliff platform. In Atlas and in Ark. It's just enough to tip me off that something is wrong. Especially when you are demoing lots of pieces in a row. I don't see how this is any different than a cliff platform.