Dinoshark

Recommended specs for server?

On a seperate note, i'd be interested to hear peoples opinions on this single server setup for a 5x5 grid. @Sakura@Atlasprime 

AMD 2990wx (32 core)
128GB RAM

My initial thoughts are it would provide 1 core/2 threads per server with some to spare for additional workload & things like territory map etc. Memory wise it would give up to 5GB per grid should they need it which is more than enough for 7 islands per grid.

My only concern would be clock speed for lots of players, but i'd still be hoping to set 50 per grid. (Not that it would ever get close to that full)

14 hours ago, Shadowsong said:

On a seperate note, i'd be interested to hear peoples opinions on this single server setup for a 5x5 grid. @Sakura@Atlasprime 

AMD 2990wx (32 core)
 128GB RAM

My initial thoughts are it would provide 1 core/2 threads per server with some to spare for additional workload & things like territory map etc. Memory wise it would give up to 5GB per grid should they need it which is more than enough for 7 islands per grid.

My only concern would be clock speed for lots of players, but i'd still be hoping to set 50 per grid. (Not that it would ever get close to that full)

Too rich for my blood lol. This isnt the next gen of AMD CPUs is it? I feel like I heard the upcoming AMDs are gonna give intel a run.

6 hours ago, Atlasprime said:

Too rich for my blood lol. This isnt the next gen of AMD CPUs is it? I feel like I heard the upcoming AMDs are gonna give intel a run.

Yep it is indeed and no it's not cheap 😛 more for curiosity's sake at the moment! Even with the expense though i think it would still be the cheapest way of getting a 5x5 on a single server while still  keeping things power/heat efficient. I did look a dual socket servers, but they are crazy money, generally less cores, not as quick and draw more electric.

AMD's EPYC chips are the server version of threadripper, they are also nice but are clocked very low so not ideal for gamesevers.

3 hours ago, Shadowsong said:

Yep it is indeed and no it's not cheap 😛 more for curiosity's sake at the moment! Even with the expense though i think it would still be the cheapest way of getting a 5x5 on a single server while still  keeping things power/heat efficient. I did look a dual socket servers, but they are crazy money, generally less cores, not as quick and draw more electric.

AMD's EPYC chips are the server version of threadripper, they are also nice but are clocked very low so not ideal for gamesevers.

Someone posted a 32 core xeon server a week or so ago.  Atlas only recognized 20. I'm not sure what he might have been doing wrong but there may be a limitation for Atlas. If that is the case would need to turn to virtualization for the Ryzen as well.

So very tempted to build a new rig. I think its the Ryzen 3 series im waiting to see. Only problem is justifying moving up from a 1080. Doesnt seem to be a value move lol

I have some grids currently eating 8 Gigs of ram, so you should allocate at least 10 gigs, if you are running a PVE grid