Sign in to follow this  
Liqsquid

Monstrous Sperm Whale

So I just bumped into a Monstrous Sperm Whale, I say I bumped into it what actually happened was it targetted me from outside of render range (I could see a health bar) and then chased me down and sunk my sloop with one tap. With hind sight I dont actually think I could have done anything to escape this thing I turned as soon as I saw what it was and had good wind, for once in the right direction, however the Whale was faster then me.

What is the purpose of agressive wildlife in a game? I had no way to counter and effectively lost hours of work for no chance of profit.

You will say well you was in a sloop but honestly the damage it deals is insane if you can't out run it even a Galleon is going to be sunk by it.

Im guessing you most likely did bump it somewhere else and it followed. As far as sinking your ship it is a whale...

No I didn't bump it. I was travelling to an island it appeared between me and the island, Its first appearence was just a green health bar with no text, when you see one of these you will know how wrong you are 🙂

Personally I feel they need there agro range lowered so you at least have a chance to avoid it.

2 hours ago, Liqsquid said:

No I didn't bump it. I was travelling to an island it appeared between me and the island, Its first appearence was just a green health bar with no text, when you see one of these you will know how wrong you are 🙂

Personally I feel they need there agro range lowered so you at least have a chance to avoid it.

I'm willing to bet you did.  I passed by at least 20 of these on my way from M3 to D2.  Not a single one aggroed me and I was well within render distance.  Do you have npcs on your boat manning anything like a turret or something?  They will randomly attack.

u know in the real life when a blue whale is moving in the ocean

there no life around sometimes 7-10 km around the whale

not because Blue whale eat fish it eating krill some very little crustaceans

but the size provokes fear in very species

may be dont go too close of these big fellas

when u see one throwing away ships its a good show to enjoy 

https://atlas.gamepedia.com/Monstrous_Whale

4 hours ago, Vaenix said:

I'm willing to bet you did.  I passed by at least 20 of these on my way from M3 to D2.  Not a single one aggroed me and I was well within render distance.  Do you have npcs on your boat manning anything like a turret or something?  They will randomly attack. 

If you had ever seen a monstrous whale you would have lost a ship to it, the one I saw was in J15 on EU Sirens Call it was on the north side of the large island in the middle. Go look for yourself 😛

7 hours ago, Liqsquid said:

https://atlas.gamepedia.com/Monstrous_Whale

If you had ever seen a monstrous whale you would have lost a ship to it, the one I saw was in J15 on EU Sirens Call it was on the north side of the large island in the middle. Go look for yourself 😛

Don't need to go there, I've gone to quite a few and not lost ships to them either because the ship I am using was equipped to kill them or because I was on a boat way faster than most things in the game.  

They are super tempermental in my experience. Sometimes they are agro other times I've sailed over them with no issues. we had a hell of a time trying to get one to agro us when we were trying to hunt it. it just didn't want a bar of it

This one chased me down and then lost interest as it got to me
0848dcdf27ab1e3d9ff29e1a4bcf45b1.jpg

12 hours ago, Vaenix said:

M3 to D2 is all tundra, I have only seen the gentle whales in the tundra and they do not attack unless provoked. I also live in the tundra.

As to the OP: Yes, they agro from a very long distance, if you see a health bar... run. What sails were you running on your sloop? I had a single medium speed on an empty sloop and the whale I saw never had a chance to get near me. On my way back I saw another one, same medium sail but at 75% weight capacity, I was barely out pacing it, but it did eventually give up.

I have also seen and out run them easily in my brig running 3 large speed sails.

1 hour ago, Tindalen said:

M3 to D2 is all tundra, I have only seen the gentle whales in the tundra and they do not attack unless provoked. I also live in the tundra.

As to the OP: Yes, they agro from a very long distance, if you see a health bar... run. What sails were you running on your sloop? I had a single medium speed on an empty sloop and the whale I saw never had a chance to get near me. On my way back I saw another one, same medium sail but at 75% weight capacity, I was barely out pacing it, but it did eventually give up.

I have also seen and out run them easily in my brig running 3 large speed sails.

Tundra yes, but they definitely are not gentle whales in that area.  I live right below M3 in M4.  The entire hunting trip was actually live streamed so we can go back and forth all you all want about what was hunted but there is actual evidence of what was there.

21 minutes ago, Vaenix said:

Tundra yes, but they definitely are not gentle whales in that area.  I live right below M3 in M4.  The entire hunting trip was actually live streamed so we can go back and forth all you all want about what was hunted but there is actual evidence of what was there.

Very cool! Did you record? I would love to see a whale hunt. We were thinking about rigging out our schooner for gathering blubber.

Just now, Tindalen said:

Very cool! Did you record? I would love to see a whale hunt. We were thinking about rigging out our schooner for gathering blubber.

I did not record, I am in a company with a streamer who live streamed it, it is fairly recent so it shouldn't have been deleted just yet.  As far as rigging for blubber don't waste your time.  They only give about 5-6 blubber per whale, a ton of animal meat.  But they are very lucrative for gold if you are looking to do something other than treasure hunting. 

5-6 blubber per whale? What the actual...
I get the meat.. was hoping that would be prime
That is all very disappointing. Well we still need to kill at least one for the discovery points.

Just now, Tindalen said:

5-6 blubber per whale? What the actual...
I get the meat.. was hoping that would be prime
That is all very disappointing. Well we still need to kill at least one for the discovery points.

Trust me, we were just as surprised.  But we've begun equipping most if not all of our smaller ships with ballista if nothing more than to act as a deterrent toward whales.  But by the end of hunting we are all able to get to lvl 58 so can't really complain lol.

Galleons can outrun them. Had one hit my Galleon for a whole truckload of 36,000s today by bouncing me off an iceberg. Got away with half my ship gone, repaired it a tile over with 1 crewmate bucketing like hell and me hatching and fighting wolves, and it's still kicking.
You can survive them. You can kill them. But they're designed to be a fight for bigger ships, and death for smaller ones.

Don't take my word for it:
https://dlive.tv/p/gunnythegrey+gD6M9TwiR

The bigger threat is crewmates demolishing the main deck of the Galleon. That stuff is OP.

yeah found out there are 3 types of whales gentle mean and monstrous, first 2 are pretty easy to hunt 3rd is to be avoided, live and learn right?