Sign in to follow this  
SaSaLe

Bull useless ?

I heard you can farm Thatch with the bull, i just did and its not as good as iron pickaxe.

Do i miss something ?

Edited by SaSaLe

No, you didn't miss anything.

Unfortunately, most of the animals excepting perhaps cows, chickens, sheep, and elephants seem to be useless. Well, and taming like a wolf or something similar as a combat mount, kinda.

So far, I've yet to see any animals that actually harvest faster than a human can with tools. They *seem* like they can get more out of any one given object, but the actual rate of gather is about the same if not slower. 

The one exception to this that I've found is the elephant, who has a quarter weight for wood and thatch it's carrying, so it makes a great storage critter, hauler. I'd hoped that say, Bulls would get some kinda weight bonus with a pack saddle, but doesn't seem like it.

Chickens and Cows are at least good for eggs / milk respectively, and sheep are a decent source of wool of course. Beyond that? Most everything else hasn't been worth the time. Even Rhinos, with thier ramming attack, have so little stamina as to make the ram pointless.

Well thats kinda sad.^^

We got everything now, exept the rhino, is it really that bad ?

Thanks for the information so far

I personally was not impressed with my rhino. He got stone decently well, but has no weight reduction which was a HUGE let down. 😞

The only gatherers I absolutely love are the elephant for wood and the bear for fiber. Bear can also do very well getting thatch, but it has to be the weird root cluster looking things on some desert islands that give thatch for the bear to be able to harvest them. Bear was not able to get anything from actual trees.

The only non-gatherers I consider to be must haves are the cows for the milk (vitamin blue/D) and maybe some chickens for the eggs (vitamin yellow, if I remember right), though I personally could take or leave chickens and not be heartbroken.

• Like 1

Okay thank you guys for all the infos.

A little bit sad that the animals are not worthy as like in ark, taming is my beloved to-to in those games

elephant and bear is all what you need. Elephants gather wood pretty much easily and with affinity to wood they carry tons of it. Bears on the other side are godlike thatch and fiber gatherers. About fiber gathering we all know. 1 Bear is able to get you 100k thatch in an hour if you are fast enough. I do weekly thatch run that lasts me entire week for all 4 big ship repairs and basic building and base needs.

Since I tame a good number of birds, one quick trip with a horse gathers enough berries for a day.

Tossing corpses into the wolves and vultures seems to produce about as much meat, hide and keratonin that I do with a hatchet.

4 minutes ago, Jean Lafitte said:

Since I tame a good number of birds, one quick trip with a horse gathers enough berries for a day....

How does that compare to the bear? I find one patch of berry plants gets me dozens of full stacks in about a minute.

Have a bull, getting only 1/3 of what i get with a primitive iron pickaxe. It can gather berries better... 

pig can gather berries well. 

Bear is top for fiber thatch sugar berries ( all what u can get from hand harvestable plants ) . Can also do easy treasure hunts up to 500 gold with one high lvl  bear leveled on weight... 

Rhino well.. no weight reduce and annoying to tame where they always get killed by new spawning shit tons of vultures.

High lvl wolf ... good health and dmg, but stamina is way to low.

lion is like a wolf, but less health, more stamina. Should be stronger... but good enough for treasure hunting. 

I killed alpha chicken turrle rabbit sheep and ape with my bear. A pig killed the bear and he had still half health, used healing and more dmg spell.

Dont wanna meat an alpha lion snake or wolf with a mount.... 

1 hour ago, Dread Pirate Ash said:

Unfortunately, most of the animals excepting perhaps cows, chickens, sheep, and elephants seem to be useless. Well, and taming like a wolf or something similar as a combat mount, kinda.

So far, I've yet to see any animals that actually harvest faster than a human can with tools. They *seem* like they can get more out of any one given object, but the actual rate of gather is about the same if not slower. 

The one exception to this that I've found is the elephant, who has a quarter weight for wood and thatch it's carrying, so it makes a great storage critter, hauler. I'd hoped that say, Bulls would get some kinda weight bonus with a pack saddle, but doesn't seem like it.

Chickens and Cows are at least good for eggs / milk respectively, and sheep are a decent source of wool of course. Beyond that? Most everything else hasn't been worth the time. Even Rhinos, with thier ramming attack, have so little stamina as to make the ram pointless.

Rhinos used correctly completely dominate gathering Flint/Stone. Elephants gather Wood far faster. Bears gather Fiber far quicker, as well as, I've heard, Fish Oil. You're never beating a Lion/Tiger/Wolf mount on foot at the moment in PvP. You also will never gather hide/meat/keratin faster then them (They just kill better, faster and more efficiently). Cows and Chickens are used in cooking, and for food in general. Pigs shit a ton for farms/fertilizer. Bull gives mateboost to cows, and is necessary to breed them (Which may, at some point in time, matter).  Penguins give insulation. Monkeys throw shit from your shoulder (Was actually OP af for a while). Crows/Parrots give buffs to their owners when on the shoulder (Supposedly, haven't done this myself). 

That leaves Ostrich and Giraffe. Both of which are fairly useless, but also fairly fast, which could be considered a use in and of themselves. 

33 minutes ago, Razorwire said:

How does that compare to the bear? I find one patch of berry plants gets me dozens of full stacks in about a minute.

Seems pretty equal. I haven't had a lot of opportunity to work with bears as I keep getting them killed and since in the tundra there's so little fiber it's a bit of a waste.  But the horse does as well as you describe. But there's just gobs of berries where I live.

2 minutes ago, Ellentro said:

Rhinos used correctly completely dominate gathering Flint/Stone. Elephants gather Wood far faster. Bears gather Fiber far quicker

This has not been true at all in my experience. Mind you, being on unofficial it could be due to gather rate changes, but ours should be the same multiplier for both humans and dinos.

For us, both elephants gather about 20 wood a hit. Humans get about 10. But human's animation speed is also almost twice that of an elephant, meaning the rate is about the same, but elephants drain their stamina like crazy when harvesting, while a human can do several trees in a row without stopping, AND recover their stamina much faster.

Rhinos meanwhile were TERRIBLE at farming - they got about the same 20 per hit, but their attack animation is VERY slow in comparison - I'd estimate a human can gather almost 3-4x as fast even if they get less per hit, meaning in total they gather maybe twice as fast. Rhino stamina is also garbage in comparson to a human, much worse than an elephant.

Beyond that, you don't need pigs for feces unless you have a farm the gods would envy, because fertilizer usage isn't too bad, and mateboosting for cows is unimportant - cows are everywhere. If you need more, just tame them. Its not like you breed them for stats. I can't speak to Crow/Parrot buffs, but Id be shocked if they were all that useful.

Likewise, meat gather... eh, who cares? Its not like the game doesn't throw food at you in huge quantities anyway, unofficial or not. People's milage on that will vary a lot. And most things I can kill in a handful of hits on foot anyway. Two weakpoint pistol shots or bow shots, plus a mace hammering or two does for a lot of things. Anything island with stronger stuff and I'll be bringing my dozen-strong NPC crew away team anyway, seeing as they dogpile even myth creatures.

10 minutes ago, Ellentro said:

Crows/Parrots give buffs to their owners when on the shoulder (Supposedly, haven't done this myself). 

Crows do give an int buff and it increases as the crow levels. For example, my lvl 7 crow gives a 12.7% increase whereas my lvl 43 gives a 26.5% increase.  Parrots do give a fortitude buff.  I only have one parrot and it's buff is pretty lame.  Like +3.5.

9 minutes ago, Dread Pirate Ash said:

For us, both elephants gather about 20 wood a hit. Humans get about 10. But human's animation speed is also almost twice that of an elephant, meaning the rate is about the same, but elephants drain their stamina like crazy when harvesting, while a human can do several trees in a row without stopping, AND recover their stamina much faster.

Elephants can also hit multiple trees far easier then humans can. They also have far better stamina pools and weight pools. Perhaps you can make an argument that Human+elephant on follow is better if there is a low tree density, but in decent or good density, I can farm far more wood with an elephant then I can farm with a hatchet. Far far more. Also, it's worth considering that the Nature's Wrath? (The damage skill) doubles their rate of gathering for its duration. 

Rhinos meanwhile were TERRIBLE at farming - they got about the same 20 per hit, but their attack animation is VERY slow in comparison - I'd estimate a human can gather almost 3-4x as fast even if they get less per hit, meaning in total they gather maybe twice as fast. Rhino stamina is also garbage in comparson to a human, much worse than an elephant.

See, that's the caveat and I *knew* it would come up. Yes, walking to a node and hitting it with a Rhino is awful, however you can also harvest while charging. While I get about 40 stone/15-20 flint per LMB click regularly, I can get almost 1k stone and 400-500 flint per lmb click if the rhino is charging. I get about two clicks and I overencumber the rhino. Done correctly you can do this process in about 10-15 seconds (Thus gathering 1k stone/500 flint in 10-15 seconds). The only downside is no reduction, so it takes longer moving the stuff then it does actually collecting it. 

Beyond that, you don't need pigs for feces unless you have a farm the gods would envy, because fertilizer usage isn't too bad, and mateboosting for cows is unimportant - cows are everywhere. If you need more, just tame them. Its not like you breed them for stats. I can't speak to Crow/Parrot buffs, but Id be shocked if they were all that useful.

You're right. You don't *need* pigs for fert, and you don't *need* bulls for cow mating. However that doesn't mean they're useless, it's just that you don't have a need or desire for them at this point in time. If there comes a point in time where fert usage is relevant, you may want to streamline the farming process with a couple pigs. If there comes a point in time where cow breeding is relevant, bulls become relevant too. As for Crow/Parrot usage, they're totally useful. Why would you say no to free stats?

Likewise, meat gather... eh, who cares? Its not like the game doesn't throw food at you in huge quantities anyway, unofficial or not. People's milage on that will vary a lot. And most things I can kill in a handful of hits on foot anyway. Two weakpoint pistol shots or bow shots, plus a mace hammering or two does for a lot of things. Anything island with stronger stuff and I'll be bringing my dozen-strong NPC crew away team anyway, seeing as they dogpile even myth creatures.

I mean sure, you can do it that way, but it's just overall more efficient and better to do it with a tiger/wolf/lion. Just because *you* don't have a use or need for them, doesn't mean the use doesn't exist. 

Ok where is the Bear getting thatch. My bear does great at fiber... Thatch not so much lol.......It gets thatch Bit noit like people are saying above.

41 minutes ago, Dread Pirate Ash said:

Beyond that, you don't need pigs for feces unless you have a farm the gods would envy, because fertilizer usage isn't too bad,

No, but pigs do have one amusing feature should you suddenly find yourself out of fertilizer. They can shit on demand.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Malfunktion said:

Ok where is the Bear getting thatch. My bear does great at fiber... Thatch not so much lol.......It gets thatch Bit noit like people are saying above.

There are very specific areas on some islands where thatch looks like a strange bloom-type flower on the ground... almost similar to a lotus.  There's also some viney roots lying on the ground in some areas as well.  The bear can harvest those and they are pure thatch.

I can get a photo of the weird lotus-type flower things in a minute.... I'm currently sailing towards that island now to check on a land claim.

I personally have not found them in large enough clusters to make thatching with a bear worth while though... so I just keep them for fiber and for some fighting.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

There are very specific areas on some islands where thatch looks like a strange bloom-type flower on the ground... almost similar to a lotus.  There's also some viney roots lying on the ground in some areas as well.  The bear can harvest those and they are pure thatch.

I can get a photo of the weird lotus-type flower things in a minute.... I'm currently sailing towards that island now to check on a land claim.

I personally have not found them in large enough clusters to make thatching with a bear worth while though... so I just keep them for fiber and for some fighting.

Ahh I have ran into it getting Bark a form of thatch but doesnt come close to me in the swamp with a pick on the Root trees. 

There not completely useless cows are pretty good with treasure maps plus there easy to tame like pigs they don’t get in each other’s way like bears do

On 1/16/2019 at 7:20 PM, Dread Pirate Ash said:

Elephant has weight reduction for wood and collects lots of wood.

Giraffe has weight reduction for thatch and collects decent thatch.

Horse/bear with cargo rack has reduced weight for items in rack. Bear collects good fiber.

Rino has weight reduction for metal/stone, as well as, IIRC, flint/gems/crystals.

Chickens and cows are good for livestock animals (A and D on the fly).

Crows give an int bonus useful for crafting, as well as fall damage reduction.

Parrots give increased insulation.

Monkeys give health regen and poop throwing.

Seagulls give decrease oxygen use under water.

Ostriches and wolves give insulation for heat/cold, respectively.

Giant Torts give cold & you use their underwater oxygen bar.