Sign in to follow this  
boomervoncannon

How to deal with cyclones

So my partner, the infamous Red Hessian (none of you know her, she avoids forums like the plague), has just confirmed this by quadruple checking it. Dropping anchor during a storm causes nearby cyclones to dissipate after a few seconds. Given the difficulties cyclones continue to cause in lost ships, damage and trepidation to even venture out for fear of losing ships to them, I thought the community would want to know. We will continue to test to see if it holds up,but she seems pretty confident of the correlation.

For the record I am sitting in a pizza and salad bar buffet in East Chicken Neck 2 hours from home, so this isn’t based on my own experience. However we’ve been gaming together for 15 years, so I’m confident enough in her conclusions to say that if she’s wrong, I will personally watch Percival eat a handful of live bees.

That’s right, I put it on the line like that.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It works like this, they search for active ships, anchored ship is not active. They also go away if they hit any land, rock or some tiny pieces of sand sticking out of the sea.

12 minutes ago, Luxfere said:

go around or you plow on through 

They massively increased damage dealt by cyclones. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheSzerdi said:

They massively increased damage dealt by cyclones. 

Went thro 2 cyclones or 3, they deal damage but it was not more than 200-400 dmg for entire time spent inside one so guessing ppl who got K.O.ed either did not fix and had some lone planks not taken care off or they experienced a bug.

14 minutes ago, Nightstrasza said:

Went thro 2 cyclones or 3, they deal damage but it was not more than 200-400 dmg for entire time spent inside one so guessing ppl who got K.O.ed either did not fix and had some lone planks not taken care off or they experienced a bug.

What size ship? How much weight? 

Brigantine with 10k/20k weight took about 800 on every plank from one cyclone. Schooner with 10k/12k weight hit about four cyclones and sank. 

6 minutes ago, TheSzerdi said:

Brigantine with 10k/20k weight took about 800 on every plank from one cyclone. Schooner with 10k/12k weight hit about four cyclones and sank. 

There's something off about that, I feel like. Even on my Schooner I just ignored Cyclones. I mean, I try not to linger in them them, but I don't usually put more than a handful of points in Sturdiness, maybe enough to get an extra 25%, tops. I haven't driven through one in a Sloop, but I have on  schooners and galleons and generally just ignore them. I'll sail right on through multiples at a time during the course of a storm without any issues. I think I lost a chicken to the damage once? I mean, it was only like lvl 2 and had maybe 50hp, lol.

Edit: For that matter, I've commented to my friends that I feel like cyclones are kinda 'meh'. Theyre so weak, and do so little, and yet they''re EVERYWHERE whenever it rains that I feel like it really cheapens the whole impact. The first time I was out on the sea an encountered a cluster of them I nearly shat myself, but as soon as I realized they did almost nothing to me, I was just 'eh'. Id've rather seen them be rare but very dangerous, instead of just blowing you off course with minor damage.

Edited by Dread Pirate Ash

7 minutes ago, Dread Pirate Ash said:

I haven't driven through one in a Sloop, but I have on  schooners and galleons and generally just ignore them. I'll sail right on through multiples at a time during the course of a storm without any issues. 

When was the last time you sailed through one? We used to be blase about them as well until we lost the schooner a couple days ago. I think they ninja buffed them. 

Edited by TheSzerdi
Typo

1 minute ago, TheSzerdi said:

When was the last time you sailed through one? We used to be blase about them as well until we lost the schooner a couple days ago. I think they ninja buffed them. 

Yesterday, or the day before, probably. I don't really pay attention to them at all, tbh.

31 minutes ago, Nightstrasza said:

I agree all these nerfing and crying posts lately seem to have hint of BS going on.

Dropping anchor has always been a confirmed deterrent for cyclones, the issue is when they hit in deep water. If, like me, you get hit after every single border crossing, go back across and wait a few minutes for clear skies

*shrug* Maybe it was a bug. We repair our ships religiously. I'm too chicken to go ram cyclones to test if they were buffed. Feel free to test it though, I'd love to know for sure. 

cyclones should deal alot damage too open sails if they hit and damage the mast.
little damage to planks and players and no damage scaling with weight. 

• Like 1

I personally blast trough them,lose somewhere between 500-900 hp during entire storm with brig. To me they are just annoyance

15 minutes ago, Linea said:

cyclones should deal alot damage too open sails if they hit and damage the mast.
little damage to planks and players and no damage scaling with weight. 

I feel like the damage to players should be somewhat randomized. Most of the time nothing. Sometimes a little. Rarely it should be severe. This would realistically represent the risk of being on deck during tornado force winds. The wind alone won’t hurt you, but if it pries something loose that then comes flying across deck...Look Out!

Ran through a couple of storms on the sloop tonight; planks didn't go below 90% even though we hit several cyclones in one go during one of the storms. We did do repairs straight after each storm, as we always do.

They don't feel buffed to me.

Edited by Razorwire

I was watching a group of ships(of all sizes) last night, in one when they were heading out for a fight, they all survived the storm fine. As well watched another ship sail directly into one to fight a lvl 11 sotd, it survived both the storm and the SoTd, just fine. However, in both cases I think the company does make it a habit to keep its ships up  sturdiness.

As for the one that sank for you all, did you have waterbarrels open on it that maybe filled up and it maybe was weight that did it? donno, I mean.. I haven't sailed a raft for a few days, maybe I need to take one out and go spout huntin just to try it out. lol. I usually survive just fine in them with a raft.. I may take enough damage that I start praying that I get out in time but the raft thus far, not a problem haha

Edited by Liatni

3 minutes ago, Liatni said:

I was watching a group of ships(of all sizes) last night, in one when they were heading out for a fight, they all survived the storm fine. As well watched another ship sail directly into one to fight a lvl 11 sotd, it survived both the storm and the SoTd, just fine. However, in both cases I think the company does make it a habit to keep its ships up  sturdiness.

As for the one that sank for you all, did you have waterbarrels open on it that maybe filled up and it maybe was weight that did it? donno, I mean.. I haven't sailed a raft for a few days, maybe I need to take one out and go spout huntin just to try it out. lol. I usually survive just fine in them with a raft.. I may take enough damage that I start praying that I get out in time but the raft thus far, not a problem haha

Raft, atleast before the silent "buff", did not take damage from storm, only player.

7 hours ago, Nightstrasza said:

On servers with lag, the cyclones moves "faster" and hit multiple times compared to a lagfree. Same applies for SOD. All while the player moves in a stop and go path.

Usually i manage to anchor the boat pretty quickly, but the space in the game is a problem, most of the good spots are now taken or by shipyards or by other boats, it's pretty hard now if you come close to any island to be able to just go straight in and anchor. Last time i just couldn't find a spot so instead of killing all the boats i decided to just sail away and come back when the storm would be over, what a mistake that was. The stormed lasted almost up until i reached the zone boundary, and lasted half way to my way back... They really need to ease on the twister spam.

2 hours ago, Shintai said:

On servers with lag, the cyclones moves "faster" and hit multiple times compared to a lagfree. Same applies for SOD. All while the player moves in a stop and go path.

The schooner that sank was in a laggy server with 90+ people on it. I still wonder if being near weigh limit adds to the damage. Hit some cyclones tonight in a schooner that was under half weight and only took about 500 damage from three partial cyclone hits. (Didn't go straight through the middle.) Again, it was on the high pop laggy server.