Sign in to follow this  
maimedwabbit

Using hostname for server breaks transfers

So ive setup a 2x2 for testing for our group. The server works fine when using a direct IP. When I launch the server using the ddns hostname it appears to work fine until you transfer to another grid. Then we get a freeze on the client side and the character is in limbo until a restart.

What could be the cause of this and are there any solutions out there? Surely there are servers ran using hostnames instead of direct IP addresses like every other game?

Im continuing to experiment to try and solve this myself but if anyone has any insight please let me know!

I'm pretty sure communication is done on IP basis, and the server is not going to (or capable) to translate a hostname in a json to a valid ip ...

Why would you not enter an IP there? Or are you using multiple systems, and thus, IPs?

Where my server is located I dont have access to a static external IP. I do not want to reconfigure the server each time my ip updates. This is why im using a hostname. 

Game servers are often ran using host names, this is no new idea by far. Just curious why it breaks this games server. Host names are resolved by DNS on either client or server the same way so im not seeing where the problem lies. The game server itself is not having to resolve the dns for a transfer I would not think. 

If one square works, im just curious why transfer doesnt work to the other squares. 

No, i can confirm it can't resolve hostname on transfers only IP. 

On 1/16/2019 at 2:16 PM, maimedwabbit said:

What could be the cause of this and are there any solutions out there? Surely there are servers ran using hostnames instead of direct IP addresses like every other game?

The server editing tool and the ServerGrid.json it creates specifically looks for the IP address of each grid cell. You actually CANT enter in a hostname into the field, it actually won't let you in the map editor, it has to be a numeric string. Sure, you might be able to manually edit your json file there, but I have no idea if that would translate to it automatically attempting to resolve it to get the IP. Also be aware that Servergrid.ServerOnly also requires IP address information to deal with tribe database entries.

This seems like a purposeful decision on the part of the developers given the way the editor behaves. You'll need a mod to do that, as suggested by Faka there if it works.

Edited by Dread Pirate Ash

It has let me just fine every time. It has never stopped me from adding a hostname unless that is a recent change as of today.

18 hours ago, Faka said:

You can use hostnames with this server manager and it will work fine

https://arkserverapi.com/resources/atlas-server-manager.80/

Thanks Faka! I will give this a try tomorrow and see how it goes. I appreciate it