archaegeo

New weight solution is a very bad fix..

1 hour ago, Poot Pootington said:

I'm dumb and don't understand the patch notes.  What exactly does it do?

I get the sense from your post that players can't get in ships that are not in your alliance or company, but how could they possibly prevent players from jumping onto another players ship?

lower the anchor

1 hour ago, Vaenix said:

Oh I'm not saying grappling off of the ship would solve your problem, I'm saying grappling onto your ship surrounded by rafts would get you a work around to the "griefing" method listed.  You getting upset over everything that isn't raging with you is getting rather old though.  

As for a workaround to your situation, when your neighbor comes on either see if they will ally or if they will build you a water barrel so you don't get stuck in that situation again.

Again I'm not saying this is the best way to handle it, but it does seem like a nice punishment at least for the griefers who were causing problems.

Exactly, you will now longer lose your progress you made with building a ship, but people  don't care about that, everything has to run perfect right now, my immersion, my RP! Steping stones people, got 2 years before release

• Like 5

Not sure I quite follow the "surrounded by rafts" issue. Can't you just swim under them to get to your ladders, then climb onto your ship that way? You kind of snap to ladders once you get the prompt, so it shouldn't be too difficult, right?

1 hour ago, LockeMurdock said:

Not sure I quite follow the "surrounded by rafts" issue. Can't you just swim under them to get to your ladders, then climb onto your ship that way? You kind of snap to ladders once you get the prompt, so it shouldn't be too difficult, right?

No, you can’t sail out if you’re blocked with rafts. It’s not about getting to your ship through the rafts, but to get out. 

In general i just love to burn the devs into the ground with devasting critics, but in this case they have taken a wise decision.

Guys, it has been completely impossible to keep any ship different from a raft as it was 100% destroyed by offline raiding trolls after some hours latest.

My dear troll friends can still use the overpowered OP flamearrows and they can still fire a broadside of explosive barrels.

But they can no longer grief anchored offline ships by using the weight exploit. Thats good.

I hope that the devs bring more offline protection and anti-griefing for ships. I have no problems to fight sea battles with other players. I just have a problem to wake up or coming from work, log in and ship is gone.

• Like 1

So if I suddenly anchor my ship when i have strangers on board, they will instantly get stuck? Nice exploit!

10 minutes ago, Holera said:

So if I suddenly anchor my ship when i have strangers on board, they will instantly get stuck? Nice exploit!

You could charge ransom from them ? „Give me 100 gold and i raise the anchor !“

• Haha 2

Just now, Talono said:

You could charge ransom from them ? „Give me 100 gold and i raise the anchor !“

Exactly. Time to lower the anchor on some hostages!

5 minutes ago, Bullet Force said:

It only affects PVE servers so who cares. They want to play in bubble wrap they earned this.

Are you sure about that ? The patch notes dont say „PVE only“. They tell how to activate it on private servers but dont state „This is only valid for PVE“.

5 minutes ago, Talono said:

Are you sure about that ? The patch notes dont say „PVE only“. They tell how to activate it on private servers but dont state „This is only valid for PVE“.

can be toggled with a server-setting on PVE servers

1 hour ago, Bullet Force said:

It only affects PVE servers so who cares. They want to play in bubble wrap they earned this.

Going to point out the obvious flaw in your thought: the ones who care are on the PvE servers.

See some of us want a more relaxed overall experience and that is not the idea behind PvP. 

It's crude but... if it saves folks's boats until they can figure something better out... YAY!

22 minutes ago, Indywoodtiger said:

Going to point out the obvious flaw in your thought: the ones who care are on the PvE servers.

See some of us want a more relaxed overall experience and that is not the idea behind PvP. 

I would say it's the vocal minority that care, losing every ship i have being set back hours or days or being boxed in? Think the majority would rather the latter

Also has anyone actually been affected by this raft boxing in?

2 hours ago, Percieval said:

No, you can’t sail out if you’re blocked with rafts. It’s not about getting to your ship through the rafts, but to get out. 

Is it only anchored rafts? I know I've been bumped into by other players' ships and they just nudged me out of the way (or the other way around). If it's about anchoring, I guess the solution would be to anchor your vessels far enough out that people can't plop down a rafter completely around you. Bigger ships have longer anchors, so a raft shouldn't be able to reach the same depths. Hopefully that'd be a temporary protection to it.

While it seems unrealistic for raft-blockades to pop up everywhere, I see how it'd be super annoying and 100% griefing. Trying to think of a protection against it is pretty tough, though. You can't limit anchoring in a radius around other ships because then nobody would be able to enter an island with a large company. I guess the only real fix for PvE woud be to let there be some clipping of non-crew / non-alliance ships around the shallows of islands. It's a bummer that it has to be like this, but people are so keen to troll on PvE. 😕

This fix causes more issues than just raft boxing. Check out all the threads on steam and in bugs forum of people complaining how they got stuck. This doesn't punish the griefers, they will just find something else to grief. This punishes the RPers, traders, and casual gamers, and there are more than just a few complaining. I think a much better solution is to not let weight affect anchored ships. Hopefully this is just a temp fix while they work on a better solution.

3 hours ago, Percieval said:

your ship is far heavier then rafts they will end up being sunk in the collision.  Unless they fixed that too....

2 minutes ago, Sulfurblade said:

your ship is far heavier then rafts they will end up being sunk in the collision.  Unless they fixed that too....

On PVE a collision does not do damage

4 hours ago, KingLlama said:

I think this is a good bandaid fix. I'd rather have my boat up and floating but not sinking.

Ha just gonna say sure a lot of whiners when it least they wont lose their stuff now.

I'm curious to know how many people think this is an ok permanent fix. Personally, I think we should strive for something better.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rouxi said:

I'm curious to know how many people think this is an ok permanent fix. Personally, I think we should strive for something better.

I agree with this!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Scorpionshawn said:

COULDN'T JUST ADD IN OVER WEIGHT SHIPS DONT MOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"The obvious solutions won’t quite work due to some backend stuff, however, we are actively looking into a more delicate and effective solution."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Herasea said:

I would say it's the vocal minority that care, losing every ship i have being set back hours or days or being boxed in? Think the majority would rather the latter

Also has anyone actually been affected by this raft boxing in?

As one who has logged in only to see my 2 Brigs and last Schooner sank I know all too well how bad it is and since I doubt anyone based off my shoreline can box me in I am all in favor. My response to the previous individual was pointing out that there are in fact many who care how this is resolved as it affects our experience, both those in favor and those opposed to the change. See you actually care, your just on the side that realizes that it's wiser to keep your hard work then lose it to a freaking troll.