Speedblade

stuck floating on a boat

I managed to kill myself by equipping a weapon and air-slashing while floating in a similar situation, until I my stamina was gone; afterwards keep slashing and your health will go down (later I would not be able to loot my corpse though, as it was on the raft, and I rather not tried to get onto it).

This seems to be part of the prevent-weight-sinking changes (so gut they do something about this).

I hope they do something about the floating though, as it is easy to get stuck without any bad intentions.

wrong way to fix this.
Ancored ships simply should have no weight restriction and shouldn't be able to set sail if overweighted (PVE)
Currently we can't transport other players. Our trading ship is useless when nobody can enter the ship.
You also can't capture abandoned rafts currently.

Edited by neoloid
  • Like 2

Same thing this morning on a raft. I was floating as soon as i jumped on a raft, couldn't punch it or anything, reloged the same. And somehow i couldn't go out of the raft boundaries i was stuck inside of it in a floating state. Had to kill myself by exhaustion, went back to loot my corpse, same thing, killed myself again. HAd to wait for the floating body to reach a side so i could loot the corpse. Probably a glitch with the last patch. I'm avoiding jumping on raft for a shortcut now.

@Speedblade you can kill yourself pretty fast by punching in the air until exhaustion.

5 hours ago, neoloid said:

wrong way to fix this.
Ancored ships simply should have no weight restriction and shouldn't be able to set sail if overweighted (PVE)
Currently we can't transport other players. Our trading ship is useless when nobody can enter the ship.
You also can't capture abandoned rafts currently.

You just can't bored unallied ships that are anchored or docked, if the anchor is up people can still bored/ride

3 hours ago, ExplodingYeti said:

@Speedblade you can kill yourself pretty fast by punching in the air until exhaustion.

Yelling is good too, apparently, what with the stamina cost.  Never had to do it myself... yet.

Yeah when I logged on this morning I jumped on a cool brig docked at my tavern to check out their setup, started sliding towards the mast and had no idea what was happening. I relogged to see if that would fix it and when I logged back in I was glitched below deck, stuck in the mast of this ship. I have a journeyman pike and fine pickaxe and gold and a bunch of shit I really don't want to lose. What a terrible terrible non fix. And by my observations, my weight still effects the ship! 1 step forward, 5 steps backward with this one.

• Like 1

I have the same problem. I really do not want to lose my loot after dying, it is such a struggle to get it back!

Not a bug, it's part of the new mechanic to keep people from griefing others by overweighting themselves and hopping on others ships.

2 minutes ago, Vaenix said:

Not a bug, it's part of the new mechanic to keep people from griefing others by overweighting themselves and hopping on others ships.

its not a good mechanic everyone is stuck on boats and have to kill themself by punching until they die

1 minute ago, Roy Compera said:

its not a good mechanic everyone is stuck on boats and have to kill themself by punching until they die

Not being a good mechanic does not equate to being a bug.  This is their intended mechanic for preventing griefers from hopping on boats and overweighting them.  You can easily get on someones boat by allying or having them unanchor.  

Fix it fix it fix it, i am stuck on a raft 😧

Edit: ok i punched the air until i died, but now my corps is floating on there and wont get off:P

Edited by Wulfeh

4 minutes ago, Wulfeh said:

Fix it fix it fix it, i am stuck on a raft 😧

Just keep punching the air to kill yourself so you aren't stuck.

and stop jumping on other people stuff.

This game is EARLY ACCESS, so any mechanic that requires workarounds should be killed with fire. I hope the goal here is to have a game we all enjoy playing (our way) -- MMO Design 101 -- build mechanics that encourage emergent game-play, don't hinder the player on purpose to cover up other design issues.

The issues with this new mechanic are really clear: 

• (personal story) I got stuck while running along the shore -- I jumped over a rise and landed on a raft -- I had to float there until I was dead.
  • I often climb on people's boats to check out cool builds and get ideas for my own boats. I'm not there to grief -- I have genuine interest.
  • In Freeport, newbies cross other rafts to get to their own. (we are all about to die of old age, so this is going to be a real problem for us all very soon)
  • I want to play as a merchant, and this limits my ability to allow non-allied folks on my boat.
  • Animals get stuck on boats too. <-- taming exploit?

Simple fix for any scenario PVP or PVE:

• Turn off weigh limits at anchor -
    • The weight exploits revolve around moving. If you raise anchor with massive weight on your boat it sinks. <-- make this a sliding scale, and give fair warning.
    • This also allows for boat parties, merchant ships, and work parties on boats at port. <-- you know, community MMO stuff.
    • It also allows us to scuttle or claim abandoned boats. <-- Maritime Law baby!

Isn't our goal in this forum to make this the best damn pirate themed game we've ever played?
instead of wasting time telling others how they should or shouldn't play this game --  We need to tell the Devs how WE want to play this game.

AHHR!

Edited by Argh!
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Vaenix said:

Did they patch notes actually SAY this was the fix for weight-griefing? 

2 minutes ago, Ankhwearer said:

Did they patch notes actually SAY this was the fix for weight-griefing? 

Since you have a hard time finding this for yourself.

- Disabled non allied players and creatures basing on anchored or docked ships which can be toggled with a server-setting on PVE servers with the in Game.ini - set bPvEAllowNonAlignedShipBasing=true If you want to allow non allies to be able to be on your ship

Which would definitely be a fix for the issue, whether it's a quick fix or a bandaid it's still a fix for the situation.  

Add to that this post here

On 1/15/2019 at 3:34 PM, Jatheish said:

We're working on a fix at the moment... so as soon as possible/we have it ready. Will save answering the other questions for the stream itself 🙂

From the latest post by Jat and it's pretty safe to assume this is not in fact a bug as you all would like to believe.  I'm all for discussing whether this is a good change or not, but it's not a bug.  The work arounds right now for when you land on a boat until such time as they change the system is hope they are online and unanchor so that you can hop off, avoid other players boats at all cost, or kill yourself so you aren't trapped.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vaenix said:

From the latest post by Jat and it's pretty safe to assume this is not in fact a bug as you all would like to believe.  I'm all for discussing whether this is a good change or not, but it's not a bug.  The work arounds right now for when you land on a boat until such time as they change the system is hope they are online and unanchor so that you can hop off, avoid other players boats at all cost, or kill yourself so you aren't trapped.

While I appreciate where you are coming from Vaenix -- whether the Dev's intended this as a mechanic or not doesn't preclude it from being a bug -- getting stuck on any surface in a game, is definitely a bug. It is too easy for this "mechanic" to be triggered unintentionally. Devs make mistakes too, and bug reports are our way of guiding them from outside the trenches. Playing Early Access essentially makes us unpaid testers. I've worked professionally as a game tester, and can state with absolute certainty that this is a bug. The devs are now getting data and feedback on a (not so great) decision -- a dev's intent is not gospel -- this happens more often than you might think. It's important we don't downplay the impact of issues like this by labeling it "not a bug" because "somebody did it on purpose".  <-- please read this with all due respect.

A software bug is an error, flaw, failure or fault in a computer program or system that causes it to produce an incorrect or unexpected result, or to behave in unintended ways.

I'm certainly hope the devs didn't intend death every time we step on the wrong raft. <-- that would just be cruel.

Edited by Argh!

11 minutes ago, Argh! said:

While I appreciate where you are coming from Vaenix -- whether the Dev's intended this as a mechanic or not doesn't preclude it from being a bug -- getting stuck on any surface in a game, is definitely a bug. It is too easy for this "mechanic" to be triggered unintentionally. Devs make mistakes too, and bug reports are our way of guiding them from outside the trenches. Playing Early Access essentially makes us unpaid testers. I've worked professionally as a game tester, and can state with absolute certainty that this is a bug. The devs are now getting data and feedback on a (not so great) decision -- a dev's intent is not gospel -- this happens more often than you might think. It's important we don't downplay the impact of issues like this by labeling it "not a bug" because "somebody did it on purpose".  <-- please read this with all due respect.

I'm certainly hope the devs didn't intend death every time we step on the wrong raft. <-- that would just be cruel.

To be clear, I'm not downplaying this in the slightest.  I'm simply saying that there are workarounds which while not great will at least get you by until a more clear fix gets put in place. Please keep in mind, according to some posts there has been some indication that a more elaborate fix is being discussed on Friday's live stream.  You can claim your experience would define this as a bug, I would claim that the dictionary would tell you that you are in fact wrong.  Either way I would still define this as a problem that needs a much better fix.

I appreciate your point of view Vaenix -- I'm not here for a war of words, just to try and stop the devs from doing stupid stuff. 🙂 Keep fighting the good fight!!

Edited by Argh!

So the fix for exploiting weight it to screw people who need to move across someone else's boat to get away from over spawns, or because they're blocking routes, etc?? That's not a fix, it's breaking the game for something else that's broken. Not to mention we loose all our stuff because we can't recover it. What is going on with these decisions???

20190116225036_1.jpg

Edited by Brec Madok
Misspelling

To say this is not a bug but a fix is rather stupid to say to me. Do you have eyes? Does this look like a fix? Obviously they intended to fix it, but it when horribly wrong. So yes, that is something we call a bug. I will make sure to stay far away from everyones ships until another fix, yet it is very annoying!

• Like 1

Why cant they simply make it to wear either Docked/Anchored boats have infinite carry weight or increased carry weight shown with a menu item such as

Floating Weight: 3456/16000
Anchored Weight 3456/100000

Making it to where it is still possible to over weight grief but much much harder and also allowing people to climb aboard boats to potentiality still break chests and steal like as if they were attacking a base

or even just make it to wear sailors that are not allied to you or in your company have reduced weight effects on other boats where their weight as a player is still set for them but it is only counted as 50%  or even 25% toward the boat weight making it still possible to sink grief but once again harder as i am sure that it would have been possible back in the day but nobody would do it

also making it very possible to use a docked boat as a storage for base building or even as a permanent  base as a ship

Edited by NoMatterGaming
Added