Pax

jatheish Letter to Jat.

2 minutes ago, Bolognapwny said:

If they want a game that has more people than Ark ever did yeah... they need to focus on pvp.... PVE roleplayers will be here regardless on their lil server... doing their roleplay crap.

You're gonna need to get over this one.  There is more to this game than PvP. PvE is entirely a valid method of playing this game.  And whether you want to demean them in your bubble or not, their opinions do actually matter toward the end goals for the game.  

• Like 5

Been my exp that pvper's tend to move on to the next big thing very quickly, while PVE / RP's tend to stick around, but that's just anecdotal.

1 hour ago, Hpnotiq said:

I see comments like this quite often not just in this game but other games in various stages of development.  I just want to point out that a company releasing content does not preclude they are ignoring bugs.  Grapeshot is not just one hive mind that works on the game.  They are broken up into teams.  One teams job is to produce content, such as tattoo's in the freeport vendor or earlier this month commodities traded for gold at the vendor.  There job has nothing to do with bugs or exploits around ships being sunk.  All they do is produce content of a specific nature.  They will probably continue to do this regardless of what else is going on in the game.  A whole another team focuses on bugs and exploits and likely a different team conceptualizes ideas for balance and fixing some exploits.  Yes I know what some of you may be thinking, no it would be a terrible idea to re purpose people or teams to fix a bug.  Changing team members or re purposing teams is extremely counter productive to an groups initiative overall.  Stop complaining about new content like its a bad thing and distracts from bug fixes.  It doesn't.

TLDR:  Multiple Teams on in any game developer, They will always be creating content with one team while another team fixes issues.

Very true, however this doesn't mean that resources can't be shifted to priority tasks.

Not saying they haven't... we don't know, just saying.

I wasn't aware this existed, it was posted by someone else on my thread. If this is true, perhaps you should implement this, even if only temporarily until a more elegant solution can be found.

Server improvements are great, but if we lose one more ship to this, we may be done.

On 1/13/2019 at 11:58 PM, TrevorJD said:

The problem with 4 is that there are legitimate reasons to carry passengers and they should count as crew.

My solution for PvE is simpler. Ark already has "no strangers on my platform saddle" code. Simply add that to ships and have an option on the radial menu to Allow Passengers. If passengers are not allowed, they simply slide off into the water. If they are allowed, they can get on board and their weight counts.

For PvP it's a trickier situation since boarding at sea is a desired part of the game. On PvP I'd have the "no strangers" active for ships at anchor. That would go some way towards reducing cowardly offline raiding.

PVP is for the youngsters that have to challenge everything, everybody, don't get laid, and have nothing better to do with their time.

PVE is for the grown folks that have kids, wives, and get paid for their time in the real world so they don't care to waste it in a digital one.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrHeid said:

They know the problem for them it's not a priority.  Obviously since this has happened for weeks. Game breaking bug... Let's add tattoos to the Freeport vendor instead

I’m not being dismissive of the frustration this exploit has caused. Im one of its victims. But it is worth noting that the people who design and code cosmetic things like tattoos are not the same people who make decisions and code changes to fix exploits like this and their skill sets and responsibilities are not fungible. You wouldn’t expect the stewardess to fly the plane if the pilot is unavailable just because she’s a menbwrbof the flight crew. Thus releasing tattoos to vendors is unrelated to stopping exploits. Of which this undoubtedly is one that should take extreme priority.

Edited by boomervoncannon

2 hours ago, Jatheish said:

The overweighting issue is indeed a priority for our team and we definitely understand the frustration it's causing. We're working on a more delicate technical solution to resolve it, hopefully, we can get that in as soon as possible. 

Thank you Appreciate the quick reply. Cant wait to begin to play again once it is fixed.

1 hour ago, Bolognapwny said:

If they want a game that has more people than Ark ever did yeah... they need to focus on pvp.... PVE roleplayers will be here regardless on their lil server... doing their roleplay crap.g t

Well, you paid 25 bucks just like the OP did to play this game.  You have different goals.  We get it.  But that does not entitle you to go around being rude to everyone else and telling them to shut up so only your opinion gets heard.  You want to voice an opinion, go ahead and make a thread about it.  The OP gets to do the same.  The devs will sort out what they want to do and it'll all come out in the wash.

No need to go around shutting down other people's opinions , calling them names and denigrating their playstyles.

2 hours ago, Hpnotiq said:

I see comments like this quite often not just in this game but other games in various stages of development.  I just want to point out that a company releasing content does not preclude they are ignoring bugs.  Grapeshot is not just one hive mind that works on the game.  They are broken up into teams.  One teams job is to produce content, such as tattoo's in the freeport vendor or earlier this month commodities traded for gold at the vendor.  There job has nothing to do with bugs or exploits around ships being sunk.  All they do is produce content of a specific nature.  They will probably continue to do this regardless of what else is going on in the game.  A whole another team focuses on bugs and exploits and likely a different team conceptualizes ideas for balance and fixing some exploits.  Yes I know what some of you may be thinking, no it would be a terrible idea to re purpose people or teams to fix a bug.  Changing team members or re purposing teams is extremely counter productive to an groups initiative overall.  Stop complaining about new content like its a bad thing and distracts from bug fixes.  It doesn't.

TLDR:  Multiple Teams on in any game developer, They will always be creating content with one team while another team fixes issues.

I love you so much right now , no homo , I am glad to see this Community taken a proactive approach and explain things such as this to newer players.

Just a couple of suggestions on how this issue could be fixed if you can code them in. First would be that weight and crew limits do not get affected by non allies or companies on pve.

Yes it may mean you could take 20 odd people on a raft but if its pve then it wont really affect to much of other peoples games on those servers.

Second to address the issue for pvp, same as above but only when anchored within your own/allies claimed area.

This can be removed however via claiming a ship after all on the pvp server it would be more likely better to capture ships than destroy them.

A few additions to this would be to increase the time overweighting the ship takes to actually sink it if being claimed at anchor, dead body weight does not get counted to give defenders a chance to kill those trying to claim while overweight to sink it.

Overweighting a ship due to boarding at sea aka overcrewing on pvp acts as it does currently.

Apologizes for any typo's or grammar currently posting from my phone as i'm on a work break at present.

4 hours ago, Jatheish said:

The overweighting issue is indeed a priority for our team and we definitely understand the frustration it's causing. We're working on a more delicate technical solution to resolve it, hopefully, we can get that in as soon as possible. 

My question is still why hasn't a temporary fix been put in place? Its. Not. Hard. Just disable ship sinking due to weight on PVE servers. That should be the case anyway since the weight sinking in general is a poor design choice for a lot of reasons but if it HAS to be in long term, just remove it for now until a permeant solution is in place. This is a major game breaking bug that has kept people from playing for weeks now, this laughably glacial response is unacceptable.

You can say its a priority issue all you want but your actions and other comments on the matter (such as your tone def remarks on this last week when you basically made a joke about players being nice to each other) have shown otherwise. Major exploits in PVP have resulted in swift, immediate action while this has been left in the game for weeks now despite being no less of an issue. This was a known problem within 48 hours of the game releasing and should have been fixed right away. Yet three weeks later its still being exploited on a large scale... there is no excuse for that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

Well, you paid 25 bucks just like the OP did to play this game.  You have different goals.  We get it.  But that does not entitle you to go around being rude to everyone else and telling them to shut up so only your opinion gets heard.  You want to voice an opinion, go ahead and make a thread about it.  The OP gets to do the same.  The devs will sort out what they want to do and it'll all come out in the wash.

No need to go around shutting down other people's opinions , calling them names and denigrating their playstyles.

I'm tired of seeing all these threads... PVE kids are spamming the forums and they literally have half the issues pvp is facing.... and everyone knows the squeaky whine ass wheel always gets the grease.... so yeah... Stop crying about Alphas and stop crying about Overwieght grief... build a freaking garage and your problem is solved while the rest of us have to deal with the REAL issues.

3 minutes ago, Bolognapwny said:

I'm tired of seeing all these threads... PVE kids are spamming the forums and they literally have half the issues pvp is facing.... and everyone knows the squeaky whine ass wheel always gets the grease.... so yeah... Stop crying about Alphas and stop crying about Overwieght grief... build a freaking garage and your problem is solved while the rest of us have to deal with the REAL issues.

You chose to play on a PVP server where there is NO protection from other players. We chose to play on PVE so we don’t have to worry what the next guy is going to do. You may have more things. But it’s all PVP there. Other than a player directly attacking g me. We loose ships and claims just like you even though we chose NOT to play pvp. 

8 minutes ago, Bolognapwny said:

I'm sorry but aside from perhaps hackers, which you're always going to have to deal with when you play PVP, there is no PVP issue larger than the one this topic is about. YOU might think there are because you only play PVP and think something that is impacting you is more important than something impacting other players but that doesn't make it so. 

Also, the suggestion of building a garage is a joke right? Building a garage for a Brig or Galleon would be a huge undertaking for a small group and wouldn't protect your ship when you park near an island to explore/trade or when you stop in a freeport. You'd also need a piece of land that makes it possible to build such a large structure, which isn't an easy thing to acquire right now. 

Right now, this is the kind of thing PVE is dealing with. Entire fleets cleared out by 1 or 2 people. Loading bodies with weight while they are logged off, then dragging the body on the top of the boat and then onto the other players boat to sink it. 

jWWHHI8.png

3 hours ago, MaxPower said:

(such as your tone def remarks on this last week when you basically made a joke about players being nice to each other)

Oh, get over it.  I found it amusing that he made a tongue-in-cheek remark.  And people can't say they weren't warned.

3 hours ago, MaxPower said:

Major exploits in PVP have resulted in swift, immediate action while this has been left in the game for weeks now despite being no less of an issue.

It's not a bug if it's working as intended (yet still needs further balancing).  And this is, quite possibly, the first time I have ever seen anyone complain about prioritizing fixing exploits.  Ever.  In any game I have ever played.  Is there an emoji meant for both mindblown and eyerolling?

3 hours ago, Bolognapwny said:

"PVE kids."  Because it takes "a real man" to grief someone in the middle of the night and raid their base when they're offline.  Riiiiight.

And FYI... these aren't REAL issues.  You're only playing a video game.  And have fun building your garage.  I'm pretty sure it's going to look really cool compared to my PVE base.... lol

8 hours ago, Bolognapwny said:

God I am so sick of Ark players... Ark is not this game.... the popularity of this game is not because its like ARK... its because its different.... and better.... Please take ALL ARK ARK ARK ARK ARK ARK ARK talk and go to Ark forums please.... 

I am literally disgusted by this constant ark talk... 

Devs i play the crap out of games so give me 5 minutes... MAke your own vision stop listening to these crybaby single player/Roleplayers.

hmmmm looking into the file structure of Atlas what does one find?

Steam\steamapps\common\ATLAS\ShooterGame\Content\PrimalEarth\Dinos

Steam\steamapps\common\ATLAS\ShooterGame\Content\ScorchedEarth\WeaponFlamethrowerSteam\steamapps\common\ATLAS\ShooterGame\Content\ScorchedEarth\Dinos\RockGolem

Steam\steamapps\common\ATLAS\ShooterGame\Content\PrimalEarth\Dinos\Doedicurus

you can do some looking on your own.... but if it looks like ARK , it just might be based on ARK

9 hours ago, DGSixKado said:

I love you so much right now , no homo , I am glad to see this Community taken a proactive approach and explain things such as this to newer players.

The trouble is that the company isn't taking a communicative approach. Jat's reply here is the first time I've encountered anyone from GS on these forums. 99%+ of the time, all we get is generic patch notes or marketing blurbs that tout this or that which are completely not what the public are screaming out for. It seems they've read Hello Games' Guide to Customer Relationship Management one too many times.

I feel that GS would gain a lot of support by keeping customers better informed. Specifically, by maintaining a List of Actively-Developed Issues that draws the hotly and frequently reported problems from reddit/steam/here. That is, say more things like "We're aware of the crew-griefing / weight-griefing. We're currently looking for an elegant way to deal with it." Not only would customers be more forgiving as a result of knowing their being listened to, but I guarantee you there'd be dozen and dozens of great responses that directly suggest dozens more solutions than their dev team could come up with on their own.

8 hours ago, Bolognapwny said:

PVE kids are spamming the forums and they literally have half the issues pvp is facing....

12 hours ago, MindOfMadness said:

PVE is for the grown folks that have kids, wives, and get paid for their time in the real world so they don't care to waste it in a digital one.

I don't understand this whole "kids" thing you keep using, Bologna.  Well I do,really, it's to belittle the pve players and try to make them seem small.    But MindofMadness mostly has it right, PvE tends to be the grownups who don't have time to be as hardcore as the younger people do.

You're seriously hitting one of my soapbox issues here with this.  Why do so many people assuming everyone playing a game is JUST LIKE THEM?

This is the reason Freeports on day 1 were filled with guys all named p33nis McNaziface -  because they think they are in some sort of closed group of teenaged guys who mostly don't care about that.  You can read all their incredulous forums posts where they can't believe people wouldn't want to see this crap, and they can't believe everyone is not just like them.

Have a look at Nick Yee's Quantic Foundry data - somewhere between 25-40% of the people playing this game are likely to be women.   The ages are about equally spread out from 18  to over 35, and that over 35 group has people in it well over 60 years old.  There are all kinds of people playing MMO games, survival games and RPGs .    They are not all like you (or me).

So, MindofMadness mostly has it right, but I'm gonna fix it up just a bit:

13 hours ago, MindOfMadness said:

PVE is for the grown folks that have kids, wives, spouses and get paid for their time  have responsibilities in the real world so they don't care to waste it in focus so much on a digital one.  They get interrupted, they don't get 4 or 5 hours all to themselves to arrange raids and endgame content, they can't just stick around an extra 2 hours if someone is raiding their base, and they have a lower tolerance for spending their bits of free time among the equivalent of toddlers running around a cocktail party yelling "poopy pants!  poopy pants!"

The continued use of "kids" for pve players couldn't be farther from the truth.  It's making your arguments even weaker and making you look a bit silly.    Go advocate for the things you want changed for the kind of gamer that you are, and leave other people to ask for what they want in the game.  Not everyone in the game is the same as you, and that's a good thing.

16 hours ago, Pax said:

Good Afternoon @Jatheish,

I am taking this time to write you in hopes you read it. I have spent a lot of time on the discord helping people with atlas, so much so that I am ranked number 10 on discord.  So I hope this buys me at least 5 mins to read this message/post.

First off I do have to say that the 2 games you guy have put out are really awesome games. Up until this point have really enjoyed both very very much.  

Little bit of my background, 

My brother and I now live on other sides of the country we play games together to stay connected. Ark and Atlas have been amazing for us as both fitted our playstyle and we love them both. We bought and played both Ark and Atlas, we were on servers from day 1.  In Ark between us we are pushing over 6,000 hours.

Heres where we talk about the problem.

Between my brother and I we are pushing 600 hours in Atlas.  As a 2 man tribe we have become a big trade selling animals across a lot of servers.  We build all 4 ships (in order) Sloop>Schooner>Brig>Gally.  As a two man team this was NOT easy. Took almost all of the 600 hours to get there.

Last night after I logged of and before I could log back in the next moring. Several of our ships were sunk on the NA-PVE server, 2 brigs, 1 sloop and 1 gally.  Who and Why are beyond the point. We don’t know there are several griefer tribe on the island/server we live on.

What I’m here to say is that this problem can be solved with one of 3 choice.  I will also say I’m not the first person that this has happened to and won’t be the last unless you take action.

The options are very simple. 

1. Remove ship damage from overweight. Until a more permanent solution can be found.

As in ark, When a raft is over-weight it can not move, make this the normal for PVE servers.

2. When a player reaches his max weight, He should NOT be able to keep walking. As in ark he should be stuck in one spot.

3. When you pick up a body with 20,000 weight you should NOT be able to walk like your holding a 30lbs body only. Again this was corrected in ark.

Any one of these three corrects can solve this problem and eliminate the ability if players to grief PVE players.

PaX Vayln (Echo Hill)  NA-PVE N12

I agree with everything you just said and my company is just me and my wife we have been here from day one and I alone have over 300 hours and almost 4k hours on Ark.

The problem is they keep telling me over and over in these post that the game is not for small companies and I disagree. Looks like you have found a small peace of land and your having a great time with trade. This is the heart and soul of what will keep the game alive. Mega companies after that do everything in the game in a first few weeks people will get bored and they will be left to find fun in griffin small companies, This is mostly what happen to you.

16 hours ago, Nightstrasza said:

They could still overcrowd the ship, crew limit needs to be gone and transfered into weight per person.

mega companies with a hundreds of people bring in a bunch of ships everyone jumps off these ships and climbs onto your ship and..... CRACK! 

Companies are to big.

6 hours ago, Domino said:

Oh, get over it.  I found it amusing that he made a tongue-in-cheek remark.  And people can't say they weren't warned.

It's not a bug if it's working as intended (yet still needs further balancing).  And this is, quite possibly, the first time I have ever seen anyone complain about prioritizing fixing exploits.  Ever.  In any game I have ever played.  Is there an emoji meant for both mindblown and eyerolling?

"PVE kids."  Because it takes "a real man" to grief someone in the middle of the night and raid their base when they're offline.  Riiiiight.

And FYI... these aren't REAL issues.  You're only playing a video game.  And have fun building your garage.  I'm pretty sure it's going to look really cool compared to my PVE base.... lol

It's not a bug if it's working as intended

7 minutes ago, Scorpionshawn said:

The problem is they keep telling me over and over in these post that the game is not for small companies and I disagree. 

The game is primarily designed for large companies, that doesn’t mean you can’t play as a solo or small group. 

5 minutes ago, Scorpionshawn said:

Companies are to big.

And what is your solution? Because there is none for the mechanic you think that is a problem. 

Just now, Percieval said:

The game is primarily designed for large companies, that doesn’t mean you can’t play as a solo or small group. 

Bug companies will grief small companies till the players quit. There is no feature in big companies this this style of game play.

Just now, Scorpionshawn said:

Bug companies will grief small companies till the players quit. There is no feature in big companies this this style of game play.

There is, in between the large companies. 

We knew before the game even launched, that when you have a server with 40K people on it dividing over 700 islands, you know the fight will be between large companies. Giving me the idea that the devs want us to play the game like that. 

2 minutes ago, Percieval said:

There is, in between the large companies. 

We knew before the game even launched, that when you have a server with 40K people on it dividing over 700 islands, you know the fight will be between large companies. Giving me the idea that the devs want us to play the game like that. 

Do you fallow all my post to troll me with your bogus arguments? You dont even play the guy bro. 

1 minute ago, Scorpionshawn said:

Do you fallow all my post to troll me with your bogus arguments? You dont even play the guy bro. 

I don’t need to ‘play the guy’.

Your problem with this game is the core mechanic of the game that the devs developed to be like this. Trying to fix something where there is already a solution for; Unofficial. We can keep bitching about everything that is hard about this game for solos, But I’d find that to be rather ignorant. 

13 hours ago, Pax said:

Thank you Appreciate the quick reply. Cant wait to begin to play again once it is fixed.

Anything over weight dose not move. There fixed!

2 minutes ago, Percieval said:

I don’t need to ‘play the guy’.

Your problem with this game is the core mechanic of the game that the devs developed to be like this. Trying to fix something where there is already a solution for; Unofficial. We can keep bitching about everything that is hard about this game for solos, But I’d find that to be rather ignorant. 

oh Im sorry i though this was early access and they want feed back from the players who paid to pretty much test a unfinished project?