Sign in to follow this  
Adfax

Remove claim announcements!

The problem with the current land system? lots of greedy people land hogging. 

In real life you don't just get a telekinetic signal that tells you your claim is being taken, so that you can go and defend. No. You'd have to actually go there and check if it was being taken. .AKA : patrol. Could you imagine in real life, a burglar announcing to everyone they were going to steal all of your possessions? No. It just wouldn't happen; it is extremely poorly thought out; and is one of the main reasons a lot of people can't even get a foothold in this game.

You wonder why there is such a problem with land? This is it. Smaller crews can't outgun big crews, so they must opt for stealth. This idiotic claim announcement takes that element away entirely.

Make them work for the land they hog. Don't let them just hold it all easymode without having to stand on it, or patrol it.  One island is enough for an "alpha company"; not entire chunks of the map.. That is just boring for everyone who doesn't want to be a part of that utter tragedy.

Edited by Adfax
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Adfax said:

In real life you don't just get a telekinetic signal that tells you your claim is being taken

You mean Telepathic.  Telekinetic would mean the message would zoom through the air and whack you in the head 🙂

I'm done being a dork.  Carry on... 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Dorf said:

You mean Telepathic.  Telekinetic would mean the message would zoom through the air and whack you in the head 🙂

I'm done being a dork.  Carry on... 

You've never heard of telekinetic carrier pigeons?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Adfax said:

You've never heard of telekinetic carrier pigeons?

Touche 🙂

Agreed. If you want to have a lot of land, you need to check it also every now and then if it isn’t taken. Now it is way too easy to defend. 

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Adfax said:

The problem with the current land system, lots of greedy people land hogging. 

In real life you don't just get a telekinetic signal that tells you your claim is being taken, so that you can go and defend. No. You'd have to actually go there and check if it was being taken. .AKA : patrol. Could you imagine in real life, a burglar announcing to everyone they were going to steal all of your possessions? No. It just wouldn't happen; it is extremely poorly thought out; and is one of the main reasons a lot of people can't even get a foothold in this game.

You wonder why there is such a problem with land? This is it. Smaller crews can't outgun big crews, so they must opt for stealth. This idiotic claim announcement takes that element away entirely.

Make them work for the land they hog. Don't let them just hold it all easymode without having to stand on it, or patrol it.  One island is enough for an "alpha company"; not entire chunks of the map.. That is just boring for everyone who doesn't want to be a part of that utter tragedy.

it wont work as they wouldnt know the flag was gone until its gone , as in their map updates and it changes , too late by then to even attempt to do anything , 

stupid idea not very well though out 

but if u are going for real life , u get killed u restart at lvl 1 with nothing , or u cant carry more than about 50kg -80kg in back pack when farming ,we could do this all day

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, UDO said:

it wont work as they wouldnt know the flag was gone until its gone , as in their map updates and it changes , too late by then to even attempt to do anything , 

but if u are going for real life , u get killed u restart at lvl 1 with nothing , or u cant carry more than about 50kg -80kg in back pack when farming ,we could do this all day

That's the entire point of his idea, that you have to monitor your lands in order to know what's going on with them. 

43 minutes ago, Pappy Green said:

That's the entire point of his idea, that you have to monitor your lands in order to know what's going on with them. 

So that you can't ever leave to go to another region? No thanks.

• Like 2

In real life you don't get to respawn after death. The game should be uninstalled and a new account needed to purchase after character death.

In real life you don't get to learn how to construct architecturally sound buildings in a couple of days. Players should have to spend years apprenticing in order to learn to craft.

In real life...

In real life...

This is a game, not real life.

3 hours ago, Zarine said:

Takes around 6 hours to take another claim, leaving a region wouldn’t be an issue. 

7 hours ago, UDO said:

WRONG!

It is thought out. It means you have to actually be in the area to physically see your stuff being taken. Meaning alpha tribes can't just hog everything by sailing their ship place to place. They have to actually be on, and use the land they claim. On a game with such limited space, that only seems fair.

The thing you're saying is the problem, is the exact thing i'm trying to achieve.

Edited by Adfax

3 hours ago, Lifedragn said:

In real life you don't get to respawn after death. The game should be uninstalled and a new account needed to purchase after character death.

In real life you don't get to learn how to construct architecturally sound buildings in a couple of days. Players should have to spend years apprenticing in order to learn to craft.

In real life...

In real life...

"This is a game, not real life"

Obviously. However you'd be a liar or a fool to think the game doesn't heavily take from it. It has gravity, humans, oceans, boats, clouds, food, hunger, thirst, death, life, weapons, physics that attempt to emulate real world physics ("attempt" being the keyword here). And of course, the arguably the main theme of the game : pirates.. Also inspired by real life.

I often see this ridiculous argument, and what you're failing to understand is this : the things that aren't realistic are a sacrifice to make the game more enjoyable, sacrificing realism for fun. HOWEVER, there is a thing called "suspension of disbelief"; and when you break that, it can completely ruin something. Psychic powers that allow people to know when you're robbing them is too much of a break of that suspension of disbelief for my tastes.. But more importantly, it actually strips important elements from the game for being that way.

Stealth.

Stealth is something this game seems to have forgotten about; with it's poorly thought out lock on mechanics, allowing you to track people wherever they run, and the log that tells you precisely who broke your stuff, or the damage numbers you can see from miles away through objects.. A smart and immersive way to handle logs would be this : have a crew member be present to spot whoever attacks your base.. As in, a hired crewmember, maybe they etch who it was somewhere you can check.. Or write a letter.. You could even make little spotting towers for them. Thus making even the log more immersive. 

Even ark should've thought of this by allowing players to make cameras... A missed opportunity if you ask me.

Building huge structures in a couple of days works the way it works because the game would be more boring if it emulated real life.. Too boring; or maybe not boring; but simply not feasible with the software/tech we have today. There are many reasons devs rely on your suspension of disbelief, but it should be avoided where it can be; and I believe this particular instance to be one of them.

Edited by Adfax

Big companies would have people all over the place and not lose much land.

Small companies would go sailing and come back to their shit being taken with no warning.

dumb suggestion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gadefence said:

Small companies would go sailing and come back to their shit being taken with no warning.

dumb suggestion.

Then they shouldn't leave their stuff? Are you dumb? Duhh. That is the whole point. You leave your stuff, people can steal it. 

Or they should remember they're on a timer to protect their stuff.

Edited by Adfax

Just now, Adfax said:

Then they shouldn't leave their stuff? Are you dumb? Duhh.

Or they should remember they're on a timer to protect their stuff.

"If you're a small company just NEVER SAIL"

You can hold that position.

7 hours ago, Zarine said:

Ah, so you should just be able to go wherever you want, and always have your claim? Don't be so ridiculous. You leave your stuff undefended, then it is your own fault it gets stolen. It is a risk you have to take.

4 minutes ago, gadefence said:

"If you're a small company just NEVER SAIL"

You can hold that position.

No, you can sail, just make sure you get back before your time is up.  Also, it means it is easier for you to take land too.

I just can't believe how ridiculous some people's thinking is.. If you leave your stuff undefended, then of course it is going to get stolen. 

It is like saying people shouldn't be able to raid a base when people are offline. No.

Edited by Adfax

11 hours ago, Adfax said:

The problem with the current land system? lots of greedy people land hogging. 

I am pretty sure you are talking about a burglar alarm. I think so anyways.

burglar alarms are a good thing. I would definitely want to know if someone was in my house/base.

Edited by Realist

As is I would like it more if you could only place 1 flag per person, or rather 1 land claim and 1 smaller water claim . That way you can only have as much land as you can manage by your company size. This would allow the players who like the solo challenge or the smaller groups of friends (like mine that's 6 strong) a chance to find land to own and defend. Plus encourage those that want to try and get big to recrute players. Let the real big top 10 companies that get shown on the live map TRULY  be big mighty companies and not just be rated by how many flag's they have spammed across the world. 

Plus the solos and smaller groups have a chance of defending their land as the game will be more about breaking in and raiding people,ya know, real PVP and not about trying to force people out so you can plant even more of your own flags and claim even more of the game world for yourself. 

10 hours ago, Pappy Green said:

how can u monitor  something u cant see , 

what we have a player just stood circling the flag area all day during their log in session , ?????

u can claim an area by hiding your new claim flag in a bush , dense area , no one your idea would work in any shape or form 

3 hours ago, gadefence said:

dumb suggestion.

wrong u can take a claim without having your flag next to theirs it just has to be in the radius , which u can easilt hide in dense area that would never be seen , then first they would know without announcmwents they would never even know u anyone was taking it ,

im going to assume u have never taken someones flag , and seen how it works , now take away the annoucments and picture in your head , if it was your only claim and you were out sailing 

u also say they need to get back in time to defend , defend what , they wont know they need to get back ? 

i say again the idea isnt very well thought out 

3 hours ago, Adfax said:

Ah, so you should just be able to go wherever you want, and always have your claim? Don't be so ridiculous. You leave your stuff undefended, then it is your own fault it gets stolen. It is a risk you have to take.

No, you can sail, just make sure you get back before your time is up.  Also, it means it is easier for you to take land too.

I just can't believe how ridiculous some people's thinking is.. If you leave your stuff undefended, then of course it is going to get stolen. 

It is like saying people shouldn't be able to raid a base when people are offline. No.

now u just clutching at straws , of course you can attack and take land but u cant defend if u dont know about it , 

its a game thigk of the flag warning as burglar alarm / sentry shouting out we are under attack , 

I would love to see the reaction of the person posting this when someone is claiming his ship, didnt get any notification and suddenly see it set sails away in the horizon without any warnings... good post..

14 hours ago, Lifedragn said:

In real life...

In real life...

So you’re saying this isn’t the real life, and it’s just fantasy?  

I bet if debs implants the OPs idea they would keep more players.....I of many have already left official and this idea would have keeped me in bbn official if it had been a thing. Chinese alphas own I think one of the biggest island on the map. But there is a small island close by big enof for 3 smaller companies, and these Chinese had a claim there, we could not take land due to them being notified and just fast traveling to the island and resetting 5 hour timers.  They had no need for the resources there so I dont see any excuse of defending it when they had the giant island already....this "alarm" needs to go since this is beta I hope they see this as a great idea to keep players on full release 

11 hours ago, UDO said:

how can u monitor  something u cant see , 

what we have a player just stood circling the flag area all day during their log in session , ?????

u can claim an area by hiding your new claim flag in a bush , dense area , no one your idea would work in any shape or form 

wrong u can take a claim without having your flag next to theirs it just has to be in the radius , which u can easilt hide in dense area that would never be seen , then first they would know without announcmwents they would never even know u anyone was taking it ,

im going to assume u have never taken someones flag , and seen how it works , now take away the annoucments and picture in your head , if it was your only claim and you were out sailing 

u also say they need to get back in time to defend , defend what , they wont know they need to get back ? 

i say again the idea isnt very well thought out 

You can see the claim flag. Duhh.

Honestly, I despise it when people think things should just be handed to them on a plate because they don't want to have to be near their claims to defend the. It is ridiculous.

This is a good change for small tribes, because it allows them to steal from big tribes. "But what if people steal from small tribes!" Nothing has changed in that regard. If a small tribe was to lose their land to a big tribe, that would've happened anyway with the current system. So that is just a none argument.

Small tribes are already beholden to big tribes if they want to take the land. The problem with the current system is that they can't hit back.

Small tribes work with stealth to make up for their lack of numbers, and numbers work through strength. Telling someone their land is being claimed just puts all of the power into those with more numbers.

8 hours ago, Knivet said:

I would love to see the reaction of the person posting this when someone is claiming his ship, didnt get any notification and suddenly see it set sails away in the horizon without any warnings... good post..

I'd like that for one simple reason : I could do it to someone else. The part you're not taking into consideration.

Easy come easy go.

Also, it takes hours... If you don't look at your ship for hours, then it is your own fault. 

This burglar alarm system just makes no sense, and favours those who already play the game on the easiest difficulty : the "alpha" companies.

Edited by Adfax