Sign in to follow this  
boomervoncannon

An extra reason to share your adventures

So several folks have made threads recently posting stories of their ingame adventures. Along with many others, I've enjoyed reading them. This is a game about adventure, and adventure stirs the soul as much as anything. But it got me thinking a little (the doc says I'm only allowed a little anyway), so bear with me if you will.

We all tend to use the phrase "the devs" as a monolithic term, which makes sense to some degree, but I think it also leads us to fall into the trap of thinking of them as a collective hive mind, which I'm reasonably sure they're not. Jeremy and Jess and Jat (what's with the J names?) are the public names and faces of this development team, and they and a perhaps a few others hear our protestations and are the targets of our complaints. Since they've accepted the responsiblity of leadership and make the key decisions, that is entirely fair. But a lot of times we complain about the devs en masse, and most of them do not make the decisions we take issue with, they only try to do their job and make the game better.  

I don't know any of these people personally and probably never will, but I suspect they are a lot like you and I. If you only do your job for the money raise your hand (everyone who works for Wall Street put your hand down, we already know). If you still have your hand up you have my sympathy, but I suspect that a lot of people who work on games are passionate about them, and do it because they love games, and want to make great ones.  I'm almost certain that for good reasons they either aren't allowed to post to these forums or aren't allowed to identify themselves as developers when they do, but I'll bet you more than a few read them.  That's just human nature, to want to see what people think of your work. It has to be hard sometimes to look here and see all the bile, and I'm not saying none of it is without merit, I'm just saying most of it doesn't apply to these people, the ones who do a lot of work but make few of the top level decisions.

So I'm going to ask on behalf of these folks to keep sharing your adventures, because I know if I were in their shoes that reading them would be the best possible fuel you could give me to keep me passionate and focused. If all you ever hear are boos, how long before you stop giving a @#$%? So keep telling your stories and sharing your adventures. I for one will keep reading and enjoying and appreciating them. 

I suspect some people who cannot say so will appreciate them even more.