Sign in to follow this  
Migolcow

Can't wear Blueprint crafted Gear without Armor skill?!

Great Googly Moogly, what kind of trash idea is this? 

Backing up a bit, I went Artillery/Gun spec with full intelligence to see if we could eke out a few more % damage for our defensive cannons/swivels/mortars.     Then a company member remembered we had some hide/fur/plate blueprints with +intelligence bonuses on them.    We'd never bothered crafting them before but hey, maybe they'd finally have a purpose!

...and that's when I found out, I can't wear anything but the basic, non blueprint gear unless I have the armor skill unlocked.     What kind of nonsensical BS is this?    It means if you want to be an intellect crafter for any profession, you have to tick off the armor skills no matter what?     And apparently you can't use gun blueprints in a similar fashion?

But on the other hand, ships+cannons and other blueprints are A-OK whether you have the skill or not?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Migolcow said:

Great Googly Moogly, what kind of trash idea is this? 

Backing up a bit, I went Artillery/Gun spec with full intelligence to see if we could eke out a few more % damage for our defensive cannons/swivels/mortars.     Then a company member remembered we had some hide/fur/plate blueprints with +intelligence bonuses on them.    We'd never bothered crafting them before but hey, maybe they'd finally have a purpose!

...and that's when I found out, I can't wear anything but the basic, non blueprint gear unless I have the armor skill unlocked.     What kind of nonsensical BS is this?    It means if you want to be an intellect crafter for any profession, you have to tick off the armor skills no matter what?     And apparently you can't use gun blueprints in a similar fashion?

But on the other hand, ships+cannons and other blueprints are A-OK whether you have the skill or not?

Yeah, similar topic was here on forum like 2 weeks ago or something...

armor, bow, guns, tools, and melee weapons trees all have skill that allow you to use higher quality stuff.  I can understand requiring the skill for crafting, but it's pretty dumb that you can't use it unless you have the specific skill, especially in a game that heavily restricts what skills you're able to select.

• Like 2

Probably related to the amount of skills you can unlock at high level. You won't have everything, but it's easy to have 2 crafts + personal skills for green/blue weapons, armors and t2 tames.

2 minutes ago, Sharana said:

Probably related to the amount of skills you can unlock at high level. You won't have everything, but it's easy to have 2 crafts + personal skills for green/blue weapons, armors and t2 tames.

100% this. 

To clarify, I am level 53 with the ability to level up to 58 due to whaling and exploring.

I have the entire survival tree unlocked.

Tier 3 taming/breeding/riding

Medic tree is mostly unlocked up to the feat that lets you heal the area around you.

Cooking is all the way down to the grill level and advanced, no need for the feat or the farming stuff.

I can craft all armors, pistol, bow/fire arrows, and up to ballista in artillery.

I can also equip legendary tools, armors, firearms, bows.  I cannot equip legendary melee yet.

I need to respec still to reogranize things as I don't necessarily need some of these.  But once you get to lvl 51 and start heading out for exploring/whaling you will find the skill points are easily there to handle most things, at least if you are working in a team of people.  If you are solo, you are probably gonna stick to personal gear and stone constructions/boat, at least until you get some good trade routes going.

Its a slap in the face to the economy to have the only people able to wear the stuff to also be the guys that craft it?!?  Its completely backwards....

There should be an entire different skill tree for Wearing then the skill tree for crafting!  

Just now, Vaenix said:

100% this. 

To clarify, I am level 53 with the ability to level up to 58 due to whaling and exploring.

I have the entire survival tree unlocked.

Tier 3 taming/breeding/riding

Medic tree is mostly unlocked up to the feat that lets you heal the area around you.

Cooking is all the way down to the grill level and advanced, no need for the feat or the farming stuff.

I can craft all armors, pistol, bow/fire arrows, and up to ballista in artillery.

I can also equip legendary tools, armors, firearms, bows.  I cannot equip legendary melee yet.

I need to respec still to reogranize things as I don't necessarily need some of these.  But once you get to lvl 51 and start heading out for exploring/whaling you will find the skill points are easily there to handle most things, at least if you are working in a team of people.  If you are solo, you are probably gonna stick to personal gear and stone constructions/boat, at least until you get some good trade routes going.

And this is not a good thing...

The Player should not be able to master everything in the game, he should have to pick and choose his specialty's!  And then become a useful member of the community...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sulfurblade said:

Its a slap in the face to the economy to have the only people able to wear the stuff to also be the guys that craft it?!?  Its completely backwards....

There should be an entire different skill tree for Wearing then the skill tree for crafting!  

You can actually craft gear without the skills to be able to wear it.  The skills that allow you to wear the gear are in same categories as the skills that allow you to craft, but the skills are separate.

3 minutes ago, Sulfurblade said:

And this is not a good thing...

The Player should not be able to master everything in the game, he should have to pick and choose his specialty's!  And then become a useful member of the community...

100% agree with you.  However they nerfed the difficulty of the game so that solos and small groups could get by when they added more skill points in per level.  I can see high levels being able to get by with a fair amount of skillpoints.  But they have set it up so that once you get to max level, you can probably end up with most of the skills unlocked.

9 minutes ago, Vaenix said:

100% agree with you.  However they nerfed the difficulty of the game so that solos and small groups could get by when they added more skill points in per level.  I can see high levels being able to get by with a fair amount of skillpoints.  But they have set it up so that once you get to max level, you can probably end up with most of the skills unlocked.

I disagree that this makes solo play Easier.. I am a solo player!

A smart solo player would look at his surroundings and figure out how he can best work himself into the web of supply and demand and using trade as a diplomatic weapon, to give him further access into the community as a whole and make money while doing it.  It doesn't hinder solo players it hinders lazy players!!!

Edited by Sulfurblade

2 minutes ago, Sulfurblade said:

I disagree that this makes solo play harder... I am a solo player!

A smart solo player would look at his surroundings and figure out how he can best work himself into the web of supply and demand and using trade as a diplomatic weapon, to give him further access into the community as a whole and make money while doing it.  It doesn't hinder solo players it hinders lazy players!!!

I said it makes solo play easier.  I agree with you on what should be done.  I'd rather see a ton of people with huge trade networks, sadly we only see a few companies in our region doing that.

4 minutes ago, Vaenix said:

I said it makes solo play easier.  I agree with you on what should be done.  I'd rather see a ton of people with huge trade networks, sadly we only see a few companies in our region doing that.

Sorry I really missed up the meaning of my post with an easier that should have been harder...

So to rephrase my point most solo players are NOT Lazy players and as such Tend to work harder in game.  

I think many individuals gravitate to large groups as a way to make the game easier on them!

So if we assume solo players are generally harder working, inside of an environment where trade and community interaction is needed more then that makes the game better for solo players!  It gives solo players a diplomatic way to work and communicate with larger groups!  They need X and he has X, they provide safe travel and maybe even protection in times of need because he has acquired far more of X then there lazy group has managed to do.

And FYI i am aware that you don't disagree I am just rehashing the point of the post for clarity since I goofed up the point earlier!

Edited by Sulfurblade

I like this system. If people want to use better gear they need to specalize into it. If anything the game needs more things similar to that to make each player unique and different.

4 minutes ago, IsilithTehroth said:

I like this system. If people want to use better gear they need to specalize into it. If anything the game needs more things similar to that to make each player unique and different.

Then where is market for buying that high tier gear?, if we have to spec into armor or whatever just to be able to wear that armor... might aswell just craft them by self insteed of puchasing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Goldfish The Builder said:

You don't need to learn EVERYTHING prioritize your skills, work off Company mates and Allys! 

We are discussing the part where game design prevents cooperation bcs we need skills both to craft and wear them, not separated.

Wearing gear really should be a separate starts open tree. It's dumb that you have to learn tannery and metallurgy to unlock the ability to wear advanced armor.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, TheSzerdi said:

Wearing gear really should be a separate starts open tree. It's dumb that you have to learn tannery and metallurgy to unlock the ability to wear advanced armor.

I do agree with this. Wearing armor and the advantages associated with it and crafting armor should be seperate trees.

Ok, actualy experienced the same thing but with tools and though that we both need skill to craft and wear... but aparently we only need skill to wear. Why not reverse?, is kinda stupid that we can make stuff up to mythical/legendary but we are too much of a potato to use it even tho we just crafted it lol.

19 hours ago, arzosah said:

You can actually craft gear without the skills to be able to wear it.  The skills that allow you to wear the gear are in same categories as the skills that allow you to craft, but the skills are separate.

Yes but the requirement to go into a tree you wouldn't otherwise be using in order to be able to wear the gear someone else crafted will sharply limit the market for armor crafted by others, because a large percentage of players will likely react in one of two ways:

1) Not bother with armor.

2) Go ahead and spend the additional points to get the skills needed to craft it themselves. 

The only area of marketability lies in a weird middle ground of people who want armor but are unwilling to spend the points needed to be able to make it themselves. That's going to be a pretty small demographic, as they say in business. From a development team that claims to want to promote Eve style economy and trade, this is a nonsensical design choice.

Edited by boomervoncannon

Based on what I've seen through the crafting system so far, there 'IS' potential for some pretty amazing gear, but we're not going to see these amazing pieces right away.  As far as dividing the skills between crafting and using, I'm perfectly fine with it.  Sure, a lot of people are going to want to craft their own gear, and then not be able to wear higher-end gear in order to conserve points for other things.  On the other hand, there will be people who want to wear the amazing gear, and don't mind giving up the ability to craft it.  This will divide people into Artisans and Consumers, and will put a greater value on significantly exceptional gear.

There are two things you should remember regarding higher quality gear, and these are very important:

- The gear never gets destroyed, it simply breaks, and you can always repair it, making it endlessly valuable so long as you continue repairing it.

- The gear does NOT require multiple resource types to repair, regardless of the quality type.  It may take 3 different types of mats to craft a blue Journeyman piece, but it only takes 1 to repair it.  This makes the repair costs for consumers incredibly cheap, and further increases the value of the gear.

Only issue I got is that the better gear doesn´t auto equip like the default common.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ikarirain said:

Based on what I've seen through the crafting system so far, there 'IS' potential for some pretty amazing gear, but we're not going to see these amazing pieces right away.  As far as dividing the skills between crafting and using, I'm perfectly fine with it.  Sure, a lot of people are going to want to craft their own gear, and then not be able to wear higher-end gear in order to conserve points for other things.  On the other hand, there will be people who want to wear the amazing gear, and don't mind giving up the ability to craft it.  This will divide people into Artisans and Consumers, and will put a greater value on significantly exceptional gear.

There are two things you should remember regarding higher quality gear, and these are very important:

- The gear never gets destroyed, it simply breaks, and you can always repair it, making it endlessly valuable so long as you continue repairing it.

- The gear does NOT require multiple resource types to repair, regardless of the quality type.  It may take 3 different types of mats to craft a blue Journeyman piece, but it only takes 1 to repair it.  This makes the repair costs for consumers incredibly cheap, and further increases the value of the gear.

Except gear already doesn't break, even common and they don't require multiple types of materials to fix, just more of them.

23 minutes ago, Shintai said:

Only issue I got is that the better gear doesn´t auto equip like the default common.

Yeah, that's annoying, logging in everytime just sorting stuff, imagine having entire set of not common gear while going on a corpse run, enjoy being a static target for 10 seconds while sorting out hotbars...