Sign in to follow this  
archaegeo

Most dangerous thing in game: Sandbars

OMG I hate them.  Makes me never want to approach shore.

Dont get me wrong, im not asking to have them changed, if you hit a high sandbar, you go down, thats life.

And its awesome the game makes me care that much about my ship, even with Eve mentality of dont sail what you cant afford to lose...

But I hate sandbars, hate em.

• Like 1

Got a Sloop runabout stuck yesterday...  luckily managed to wriggle free lol.. but it does make you think!

This brings up an interesting point. Buoys exist to warn players of things like sandbars, but the game offers no incentive for people to place buoys to warn others. Placing a buoy to mark the sandbar that just sank your ship doesn't do you a lot of good, and at the moment you just lost your ship is not likely to be a moment you're feeling particularly community minded.  I'd like to suggest that the devs consider offering some reward or incentive for doing so, considering we all know that expecting most players to behave altruistically in online games is a fools errand. So give people a reason to do it.

Me: Wait, did the sea just turn light blue?

Mate: - yes why?

Me:  Aaaaarghhhhhhhhhhhh ---- Crap, quick drop the anchor.. quiiiiiiiiickly... !

*scrape*

Our house boat just turned into a beach house.  Doh.

• Haha 1

I hope they will make it so the shores don’t dive down 30m in an instant. That would also help to not ram into them since you can see how far you can still go. 

😅if you don't look where you sail you will sink your ship.... who put you on the wheel? I'm yet to lose anything thanks to ramming shores. 
I would be way more worried about random pillar in deep enough water than sandbags

My partner and I lost a schooner when the game let us build a shipyard in water to shallow to hold it. It sank upon launch. RIP. Kind of hilarious in retrospect if frustrating atm, but lesson learned. Other than that she drives and I do lookout. We have yet to sink  anything while actively driving it, and there's a ton of shallows around our island.

We had several people in the region end up hitting the 2 sandbars near our island so we built small versions of the lighthouse out on them along with placed signs to try to warn people.  I agree there needs to be some incentive for some, but for us the friendliness of most people in the region has been enough incentive to be good neighbors.

• Like 2

The funny part is that you can run ashore and not do more than some minor damage, but you run up on a little underwater hill that doesnt break the surface, your boat suddenly sinks.

2 hours ago, archaegeo said:

The funny part is that you can run ashore and not do more than some minor damage, but you run up on a little underwater hill that doesnt break the surface, your boat suddenly sinks.

Yeah, so many times had raft 2/3 on land insteed of water and took max 1k dmg from such thing, personaly never sunk from a sandy hill, propably bcs constantly looking at the map and dropping speed to 20-50% when geting near the shore..., but once sank, when "landed" on a polar biome when first time started the game, it just touched the shore and it instantly exploded from 10k to 0.

Well i think they should be dangerous, they are one of the biggest problem when sailing so. Same with  anchoring, i'm one of those that cried as soon as i made a sloop about the short anchor, but then again anchoring a boat is one of the main danger in sailing, if you don't do it properly you'll have problems, it's good that this is also a thing in the game, even if it's actually completely different, the sense of danger should be there.

Honestly, if you are going slow enough you shouldn't sink, only get stuck...and realistically you shouldn't be going full sail that close to shore anyway unless you know the terrain or are moving AWAY from it.

3 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Honestly, if you are going slow enough you shouldn't sink, only get stuck...and realistically you shouldn't be going full sail that close to shore anyway unless you know the terrain or are moving AWAY from it.

That is part of the problem though, in some cases whether going slowly or not you don't actually have to hit the sandbars.  It's a good thing their dangerous and people need to figure out how to maneuver around them. But as someone mentioned earlier there is little to no incentive toward marking these out for players who have settled the area.  I've personally been on several dinghy's that have done little more movement than anchoring/picking up anchor and had it take 1.5m damage immediately destroying it.

On 1/15/2019 at 4:17 PM, Vaenix said:

That is part of the problem though, in some cases whether going slowly or not you don't actually have to hit the sandbars.  It's a good thing their dangerous and people need to figure out how to maneuver around them. But as someone mentioned earlier there is little to no incentive toward marking these out for players who have settled the area.  I've personally been on several dinghy's that have done little more movement than anchoring/picking up anchor and had it take 1.5m damage immediately destroying it.

I've grazed several sandbars in a sloop and even got pretty well stuck...but never lost a ship to one, I typically go 10% sail around coastal areas. The reason for no actually hitting the sand bar is the result of the server calculating your impact but the client lagging on sending the turning feedback. Then boom you have a sank ship, the faster you are moving the worse the latency will kill you...literally. I go 10% and against the wind when I am that close to shore.

I'd like for there to be some counterplay to sandbars.     Like if you get stuck on a sandbar IRL, you hook up some chains and pull it to safety, maybe putting some rounded logs under it to make it easier.  

The most a sandbar has ever done to one our ships is break an already weakened part. Icebergs on the other hand... 14k for briskly bumping the bow.

Edited by Nari