I would like to suggest that all ships hud's have a speed indicator in knots, maybe up in the top right corner along with the wind and sails icons. I believe this would add a lot of substantial game play, as we could then accurately test the different sail and structure configurations. Also we would easily be able to see how the crew and cargo weights effect ships speed. It would be possible for players to try design the ultimate speed ship too. something like this. Please remember to upvote if you agree.

ship hud.jpg

Edited by nosscar
  • Like 2

I think there must be place timer after loosing mast in combat (like for planks).
It's rly hard to do with barshots and enemy just instantly placing new one...

• Like 1

Love the idea of Bollards and whole ship repairing, been wanting those for ages, but also:
Climbable rigging. Having to place rope ladders, when climbing rigging would be way more realistic, just bugs me.

• Like 1

Hello, we thought of rowers on the boats.
we have brigantines used for transport (without cannons) and when there is no wind, the boat is very very slow.

Maybe use NPC assigned to gunports with oars instead of cannons, and gain some speed in case of calm sea. (cf Waterworld)

Edited by Nordist
  • Like 1

I'd like a ship with air,Airships I think they are called,but failing that a bowsprit on the front of the ship that comes with building it.a bowsprit is NOT a figurehead its an essential part of some ships and as such should not need to be bought as a figurehead at freeport!

• Like 1

Appreciate ya keeping this thread active and edited. Number of good ideas in here 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would like to be able to remove a deck and still be able to seal up the room. Likewise, building on the top of all ships looks very boxy. Some new shapes for placing on the top decks of ships to allow the walls to meet the planks would be nicer. On the same topic, slightly higher ceilings please, constantly feels like im hitting my head on the ceiling in x1 high rooms/ships.

More building on Gallions please

• Like 1

Pirates don't spend all day making ships. They buy or steal ships made by NPCs. So.. why not have an 

NPC operated shipyard

Supply Blueprints, materials, assign NPCs, and go sailing while they make you new ships. 

1. New station, Ship Blueprinter. 
    1. Placed aboard a ship. Once a ship has been launched, players can craft a Ship Blueprint that documents the current state of the ship. 
    2. Ship Blueprint includes a list of all building objects, but not consumables, currently on the ship at the time of blueprinting
    3. Ship Blueprint includes the quality of all objects.
    4. Ship Blueprint also includes embedded placement information of all objects.
  2. New Skill - Shipwright (Basic, Expert, Advanced, Master).
    1. Skill level determines how many ships can be built from the blueprints.
    2. Reduces resources need to craft Ship Blueprint
    3. Improve starting and/or max levels for ships crafted from Ship Blueprint
  3. Shipyard Job Board. 
    1. Snaps to the shore side of a Shipyard
    2. Has snap points for a billboard, storage, and craft stations. 
    3. Has one Ship Blueprint inventory slot. Ship Blueprint in inventory will be listed on the Billboard, along with required parts /mats.
    4. Has virtual 'stations' for assigning NPCs. Number of NPCs depends on size/quality of attached shipyard.
      NPCs assigned to the Job Board will construct parts in the Ship Blueprint list, using mats deposited in the Job Board Mats storage, in the crafting stations attached to the Job Board.
    5. NPCs will deposit constructed parts into the Job Board Parts storage. Players can add parts as well.
    6. BP parts in the Ship Blueprint will either need crafted by players and deposited in the Job Board Parts storage, or the necessary blueprints will need to be present in the crafting stations attached to the Job Board for the NPCs to use. 
    7. Once all parts in the Ship Blueprint are present, NPCs will begin assembling the ship in logical order. 

Rationale: In order to use the NPC Shipyard, it will be necessary to have

• Have either built an original ship and blueprinted it, or have acquired a ship blueprint through trading, piracy, or perhaps looting?
  • Have collected the mats and parts to build the NPC shipyard objects, crafting stations, etc
  • Have bought/looted sufficient NPCs to operate the shipyard
  • Maintain the Gold and food to keep the NPCs working
  • Have the BPs for any BP parts

All of these incentivize players to get out and do pirate activities, rather than sitting in the harbor, crafting planks and rebuilding the same ship for the twentieth time. 

Edited by Grendalsh
  • Thanks 1

At the moment i'd be happy if ship npc's could use a fishing rod, then they could effectively pay themselves.

Edited by Whitehawk
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Whitehawk said:

At the moment i'd be happy if ship npc's could use a fishing rod, then they could effectively pay themselves.

Yeah. I'd love if npc could use fishing rods and nets to catch fish to feed themselves and the ship / base. Would also love if they could go hunting ashore while armed with a musket. 

Removed some suggestions which were implemented and/or are coming in future updates. Thank you all for posting your suggestions here and helping to improve the quality of life on the seas.

Added #1, PvE Inactive Ship Claiming
Added #12 and #13 via @Kaitlynn Allen Thank you for these great aesthetic ideas.

Edited by Sovereign Snow
Number Changes, "Added #1"

On 1/15/2019 at 8:17 AM, Sovereign Snow said:

1. PvE Servers, Allow Ship Claiming After Inactivity

• I like this, would make the game more pirate like.

2. Repair All Structures

• THIS! I don't think a specific station is needed, but having them repair everything would be great

3. Unseat All Crew

• This kind of works if you press and hold "N" while on the ships wheel, but only for the cannon crew. Something like this for all crew would be great

4. Man Your Stations

• This would be AWESOME

5. Handling Sail; Reverse

• It would be nice if there was a way to "back the sails". A method of turning the sails into the wind so it pressed on the front of the sail to slow and backup a ship.

6. Captain's Deck

• This can be done sort of if you don't install the planking first. Put a deck in and then you can build almost into the frame and to the back of the ship and then put the planks on. This works well for the schooner. The Brig has a higher and further back plank. 
  • What I'd like to see is walls and floors that can be built right up to the frames and planks.

7. Careening

• I don't see a need for this since there is no fouling of the bottom of the ship.

8. Mooring

• Mooring would be cool. A mooring bouy that could be placed further out and the ship anchors to it would be cool.

9. Select All or Individual Sail Controls

• I could see that this could be handy

10. Look-Out / Telescope 

• I agree with this, a lookout station in the top of the masts that an NPC could be assigned and would give either a further view or just a warning.

11. Collidable Figureheads

• This and 13 should be combined

12. Rotatable Weight & Handling Sails

• I don't think they should be rotatable, but I do think they should be fixed so that they swing to both sided equally. For example the handling sail will rotate and stick almost 90 degrees to the starboard side of the ship, but only about 45 degrees on the port side. 
  • Also, the way the sails billow needs to be fixed. If they are swung out to port the sails point backward

13. Rigging That Connects The Front Sail To The Figurehead

I've added my comments above...

I'd also like to see the ratlines (the ladder works that go from the rails to the top of the sail) be climbable instead of having to hang ladders down from the sail platforms.

Ship figurehead, or items to put on the side
Name: "The scoop"
What does it do: Picks up flotsam for you
Pros: Well, exactly what it does. Picks stuff up
Cons: Can be overly used/abused by picking up everything
Improvements: Give it a health pool that goes down as it is used - Make it pick up so many items before it needs to be emptied - Reduces the quality of items picked up.

Same ship different stats and caps.

There have been stat decreases and increases so that ability is a known.

There is a cap on some of the stats so the ability to do that is also known.

It has been stated that ship assets are an issue, making it hard to introduce new ship designs.

In light of this I would propose making different classes of the same ship.

Using different base stats, stat increases per level, stat caps and sail points to produce the following:

A combat version: Good: damage, crew. Medium: Resistance, Sturdiness. Low: Beds, Weight. - Speed: Medium

A cargo vertion: Good: Weight, Sturdiness. Medium: Damage, Resistance. Low: Crew, Beds. - Speed: Low

An Explorer version: Good: Resistance,Beds. Medium: Sturdiness, Crew. Low: Damage, Weight. - Speed High

(only suggested weightings, and exact numbers can be tweeked)

This would triple the number of ships available. give the players a choice on the type of ship they want, will produce interesting cross builds.

Edited by Jack Shandy

Make sail points mean something.

Make base sail stats directly proportional to the sail point value of the sail.

Change the ship sail point value and sail value so you can use various combinations to reach max value.

Doing this will alow you to max out sail points with multiple sail size configurations and have equal value, you can now build ships to look like what you want rather than all ships looking the same.

Please make a bird stand or something like it, to place on a mast or railing to snap parrot, crows aso  firmly to the ship.

i tried to trap them inside the ships cabin but i lost more than one bird on the way 

Edited by Ged Bootstrap

Well it's ship related but the shipyard needs a snap feature, I'm sick of taking ages to square it up with my base only to find it's still at an angle.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Whitehawk said:

I'm sick of taking ages to square it up with my base only to find it's still at an angle.

@Whitehawk If they never add a snapping feature, the best advice I can give is to set up a ladder on our base facing the direction you want your shipyard to face, then use your K camera so you cannot turn. That will line your shipyard up at the exact same angle.

Edited by Sovereign Snow

A Suggestion regarding building ships that would create much depth without too much effort would be:

Variants for each type of ships with different ammount of planks/decks as findable blueprints only either by hunting sotd squads or treasure hunting. Each Blueprint allows you to build the Ship one Time only.

Examples:

Schooner with less depth to sail into shallow water (maybe with less gunports)

Brig/schooner with an adittional Gunport/plank slot (so a longer variant)

Brigs/Schooner with a Captains Deck (additional Deck for captains cabins maybe combined with windows out the back)

Brigs with additional Bow Deck

Brigs/Schoner/Galleons with Aft and/or Bowchaser Gunports

Sloops with an adittional Plank (longer variant)

Sloop with wider and/or deeper hull to walk below deck)

This would do two things:

You are able to customize ships more

and you have additional motivation to go out and find stuff. (in my opinion bettter than chasing quality shipyards to build stronger ships)

@Sovereign Snow

On 1/15/2019 at 1:17 PM, Sovereign Snow said:

4. Unseat All Crew

• I don't know about other players, but when I get off my ship, I unseat at least 4 crew members to ensure my ship's essentials are repaired before the next time I set off. This would be another amazing Q.O.L. improvement for the ship to have an implemented option to unseat all crew.

I don't know whether or not anyone already said this but if you want to unseat all crew you could just unclaim and then reclaim the ship.

When unclaiming the ship all the crew members will automatically be unseated from their stations (for obvious reasons) but will not automatically man them again when you reclaimed it. The whole process takes about ten seconds but you'll need to assign all crew members to their stations manually again later.

A great thread. I've posted before, here are a few other changes I'd like.

1, Have the dock "snap" to a foundation to align it easier with your dock build area.
2, Paint to be less "washed out" on the ship hulls, walls and railings.
3, A huge increase in the number of place-able items on deck of the Galleon. I want to build inside too but often run out.
4, A large increase in ships carrying capability. (mostly to allow for the additional items from No.3)
5, Shaped walls that fit the ships hull shape at the edges.