I'd like to be able to get ship sceleton blueprints,which would cost more but would also add More Level ups. If u get a fine blueprint for a galleon for example, it could Level to 51, a journeyman to 61 And so on BUT it wont only cost more to Build the sceleton, you are also only able to add Fine  planks gunports And sails to a fine ship sceleton And would also Need Fine stuff to replace when a plank gets destroyed. 

Add Gates for ships. Like the sloped Doors but for the side of ships to get tames inside your ships. Depending on the shiptype let galleons have Gates to fit elephants etc. Through for loosing a deck And brigs can fit Lions bears etc. And schooner Maybe Wolfes.

* Let us rename ships / fix the currently broken rename ship function

* Improve the look of painted surfaces. The washed out incomplete painted look on wood looks terrible.

* Allow us to take soundings, either give players the ability to craft a sounding line tool and use it or alternatively a device that works like a sounding line that can be mounted to the ship https://www.thevintagenews.com/2017/02/23/depth-sounding-techniques-that-preceded-the-modern-day-sonar-technology/

* Let crew repair all structures on a ship not just the planks.

* halve the damage of cannons and then have gunports give a x2 damage bonus (to steer players away from the current rear/front chaser configurations most ships have gone to)

I was thinking about the use of gates for people roping off harbors. What about instead of the gate/wall spam, we could use a combination of towers or bollards and boom chains? The could be raised and lowered to allow the passing of ships. 

Edited by Madam Doomkitten

On 2/9/2019 at 12:46 PM, Cpt Al3storm said:

I know that this is the kind of game where you should be able to build anywhere and creativity means a lot. But I find it ridiculous enough to overturn the ship's design. Devs wanted to create a hardcore game but a player can build a wall of cannons on the back or front of the ship and oneshot whatever he wants. Besides, ships with huge buildings on them are ugly. In my opinion, ships must have a predefined design and only the sails can be modified. The cannons must only be placed in the lower deck and with their relative gunports. At most, side cannons can be added on the upper deck. By removing the possibility of adding structures, Devs should provide more types of ships. For example 5 types of sloops, 5 types of brigantines and 5 of galleons. Maybe with the same statistics but with different skins. It would be far more realistic and players should rely a lot more on maneuvers during a battle.

a much more immersive way to handle this sort of thing would be adding center of mass/balance to ships. Build too much on top or on one side and you're more likely to capsize. Would really limit these META builds without overly restricting creativity or customization.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2019 at 2:46 AM, Sovereign Snow said:

A very large, sudden wave that can cause damage to ships if not maneuvered properly.

I suggested the same thing a while back. Having a rogue wave as an alternative spawn to the hurricanes that they have now. I would also like to see these weather effects doing damage to the sotd to heal clear them out and make them more enticing for people to engage.

The shotgun cannon builds seriously need to have drawbacks. Ship balancing would be a good one. Or dedicated gun deck, and top deck slots for cannons. About the only current drawbacks are blindsides and ammo shortages it seems. Plus, ships are incredibly squishy. it only takes a few shots to take out a plank and start a ship sinking.

#1 is no factor. hitting O Letter not number will turn on/off all the lanterns and torches on a ship.

On 2/27/2019 at 2:24 PM, Pax said:

#1 is no factor. hitting O Letter not number will turn on/off all the lanterns and torches on a ship.

Are you saying this already works? The letter O will turn on and off lights on ships?

1 hour ago, Sovereign Snow said:

Are you saying this already works? The letter O will turn on and off lights on ships?

yes

• Like 1

I second the galleon structure limit. I hit it so quickly that I had to remove almost all of my aesthetic structures and all but one rope ladder to the front sail, leaving a barren and empty ship that felt more like a preset than one of my own builds.

1. Permission To Come Aboard

Excess crew / tames / players become freight - the crew count is just that, crew i.e. NPC's that can be controlled to do something. If that's not the case they don't count and if there are too many of them it doesn't matter they just cant be ordered to do something.

2. Assign To Repairs / Unseat All

I would like the ability to unseat them selectively but really hate their behavior gets changed to aggressive - if I want them on aggressive I'll put them on aggressive before I put them on the weapon, no really I will - promise. PLEASE DON'T change the behavior setting when unseating.

3. Handling Sail; Reverse

Be really really nice if all the masts could be configured with more than one sail type sort of on the fly - be really cool if you could go to a mast and change the sail type and would be realistic if that then took some different time base on if the ship is anchored (2h game time) / stopped at sea (6h game time) / moving (12h game time).

4. Flags

We should be flying a flag - with an option for the jolly roger 😄

5. Send - To / Send - Off

PLEASE implement this - the points they move onto or off the ship don't have to be free form it would be fine if they were totally fixed by the dev's - be so nice to have a predictable spot they will go to rather than being hung up on some part of the ship.

6. Captain's Deck

This would be nice - also would be awesome if there were more options on the deck "T" menu - and more spots were decks could be placed - the one standard height deck separation is understandable but running down the deck having your camera bump unless horizontal isn't immersive or fun it's just annoying.

7. Improved Respawning @mKHammerBro

These would be so nice but it is much better than it used to be. Also should mention the dropping through the ship when loading in even on an anchored ship.

8. Anchoring @mKHammerBro

Move the anchor depth check point to.... wait for it..... were the anchor IS on the ship and ONLY there - simple.

9. Careening @mKHammerBro

Meh... lots of other much more important things need coding time - sorry I'd put this waaaaay down on the list.

10. Mooring @ikarirain

This could be neat but see point 8.

11. Select All or Individual Sail Controls @Shakarian

I would really like to see the ability to change the sail rotation separately from the rudder, and while were at it does it really need to take 3.5 minutes of real time to turn a galleon 360 degrees..... really..... 3.5 MINUTES.

12. More Structures on Galleons @Vostik

This would be nice but what would be nicer is if the "no foundation nearby" error was just removed from ships. Were way beyond being able to check if something could be built or not so lets not pretend we can check that. Its just annoying and rarely accurate even according to the game build rules. I'll do a separate post on this because some of your current problems can be permanently fixed by doing it better (left / right slopped walls don't actually need to be a thing.)

13. Knots @mKHammerBro

This would be so nice - also if you have the navigation buff there should be a separate marker for the ship's actual heading - would be so nice.

14. Look-Out / Telescope @Aristocrates

Meh.... can't hurt.

15. Additional Sails @Grodgen

Be nice to have as add on's to make the ship look and perform better.

16. Collidable Bowsprits / Figureheads @Grodgen

DAMN THE TORPEDOES... RAMMING SPEED..... no wait here is not that..... but yeah could do many things with this including being able to buy different ones for different achievements like killing the kraken you can now buy this figurehead etc.

Edited by pfg
spelling

All I want is lights that don’t “glow”through walls. You shouldn’t see the glow from a camp fire ina honeycombed based behind 6 stone walls lol. Makes everything look ridiculous 

• Like 1

An additional request:
Notification of when  your ship is sinking. 

Single player here and I built a Schooner. Huge time sink for the resources. Out farming on land earlier today and all of a sudden I get the dreaded red message of death: Your ship has sunk. No warning. No reason. Went to the ship and all I found was wreckage. All that time and effort gone without warning. /heartbreak

On 11/02/2019 at 18:29, SirBiff said:

Je dirais que quelque chose qui doit être corrigé ou ajouté est le changement de nom des navires. Par exemple, si vous avez "acquis" des navires lors de la fusion d'une société mais que vous n'aimez pas le nom. En l'état actuel des choses, vous ne pouvez pas changer le nom, mais l'option est là mais ne fonctionne pas (du moins pour moi et d'autres personnes à qui j'ai parlé.). 

Je plussois! Ceux qui disent qu'ils aiment voir le nom du navire pour le reconnaître ce n'est pas prioritaire! C'est le nom de la compagnie le plus important ^^ Donc autorisez le changement des noms de navire, merci!

I would like to see:

Sails actually work as they should based on real life physics.

1) As an example, a Square Sail (the speed sail in game) only had an effective angle of about 90% and could only run with the wind at that angle and was why ships with those sails only ran trade winds routes. After running tests with speeds sails at irons and they can still out sail a Triangle Sail (the handling sail in game) there are some changes that really need to occur to bring the sailing into a realm of useful beyond the much quoted "Speed sails are all you need...ever". 

As it stands, the above statement is not untrue. That should be a big red flag on the development end. 

2) All ships in ATLAS are based on displacement hulls. These ships could only go so fast based on water line. Right now the ships go far too fast based on the math used to calculate actual hull speeds.

Adjustment of overall speeds and mechanics of each sail type would add to the immersion and diversify ships based on use rather than just slapping speed sails on each and every boat.

Mooring Balls on owned islands

The  ability for anyone to sail up and anchor anyplace they like around an owned island (PvP or PvE) should be limited to the owners choice of locations. This could be solved with a Mooring Ball much like the current Buoy that could be anchored to. PvE is littered with people just spamming boats on owned islands that often block prime anchor points never to be seen again.

Another option would be the ability to set a mooring fee at the owner flag that is a charge per hour to anchor your boat on the coastline of an owned island unless you have a mooring ball from the owner. 

Edited by Rhiannon

On 1/21/2019 at 8:31 PM, stormoffires said:

NPCs should repair the WHOLE ship not just Hull. 

Just wanted to reiterate that point. If not all parts, there should at least be a way to easily gauge which parts are damaged. Perhaps labelling them with an icon when holding the repair hammer. But automatic repairs ought to affect all parts of the ship.

On 1/15/2019 at 2:17 PM, Sovereign Snow said:

14. Look-Out / Telescope @Aristocrates

• It is known that being at the top of a mast gives the player a slightly larger render-distance so they can see ships and such ahead of time, but it would be nicer if there was a Telescope sort of attachment to build on the Smithy that could be attached to the top of the mast, further improving this render distance for preparation or avoidance purposes.

We should also be able to place a crew member in the crow's nest instead of having to stand there ourselves. As a captain you should be able to command the ship from the wheel and not whistle command it from the crows nest all the time. Climbing those ladders gets old pretty fast.

Great Ideas. Also 

7. Animal hitching posts. Load an animal on to the ship and hitch it to a post where it stays till unhitched.

8. Ability to paint the dingy on the hanger, water barrels, work bench, larder, and the shipyards.

9. Turn the SOTD into sail boats and not yachts.

10. A fine tuned tattoo gun.

I had a few more ideas but I forgot them. Short term memory loss and all. If i remember I will come back.