Question

1. Permission To Come Aboard

• The current setting; "Nobody but company and allies allowed on ships" feels like gauze on a hemorrhaging wound. As it stands, without allying with EVERY player who wishes to view your ship design, catch a ride to another region, or just hang out, nobody can help others.
  • I propose a new setting which would bypass the company and alliance setting temporarily to allow individuals onto your ship, with strictly your permission.

2. Assign To Repairs / Unseat All

• As it stands, NPC crew-mates begin to automatically repair your ship when unseated and the ship is anchored. This causes NPCs to be free-floating on your ship's deck, occasionally glitching through and drowning or teleporting up and down getting stuck between decks. I propose an additional, man-able position on the ship meant for repairing. This should stop NPC crew-mates from disappearing or dying by glitches.
  • Additionally, I propose a command be added to the HUD while at the wheel of your ship and through the lieutenant podium to "Unseat All" NPC crew-mates.

3. Handling Sail; Reverse

• Allow Handling Sails to provide faster Reverse speeds. As it stands, ships can currently back up no matter what. If the Ship layout includes a Handling Sail, this ship should reverse slightly faster.

4. Flags

• Create a new Flag item to be crafted in the Loom to place anywhere on your ship, preferably at the top of a Sail mast.

5. Send - To / Send - Off

• As it stands, Ships give players the ability to interact with their tames and "Send To Ship..." I propose another ability should be added to "Send Off Ship..." for those cases where someone's tamed animal got stuck inside of a structure they built on the ship.
  • Alternatively, add a targeting system for where on the ship, or off the ship, that the tamed animal be sent to when interacting with the "Send To Ship" option. 

6. Captain's Deck

• As it stands, a Galleon is the only ship that comes with a snap-able slot for a receded Deck to be placed higher up at the back of the ship. I propose another optional Deck slot be added to the back end of Brigantines and Schooners, like the Galleons, for cleaner and more aesthetically pleasing ship designs. (The Brigantine is especially difficult to make the ceilings and walls line up with the back end of the ship.)

7. Improved Respawning @mKHammerBro

• Better Ship structuring to prevent falling out the back of a ship in motion. This happens often. Through Decks and through the back wall.
  • Alternatively, re-code the Ship itself to act as a Respawn point, and change the Ship's accommodation level to improve how soon it can be reused as a respawn point. Maybe this will solidify the player's position on the boat when respawning at full sail.

8. Anchoring @mKHammerBro

• Increase Ship's anchor length to allow deeper anchoring. Larger ships can't get close enough to anchor sometimes. Maybe a craft-able mod or purchased at a Freeport.
  • Additionally, stop beds and other structures from preventing anchor drop. Many can't anchor their own ships inside their own territory because of a random person's ship or raft anchored nearby.

9. Careening @mKHammerBro

• Introduce a new mechanic to ground Ships to scrape and clean the underside of the hull. In the past, this process was called Careening, or Heaving Down. Barnacles and other sea life clings to the underside and rots away at the wood. This could also introduce a new way to repair your ship's planks or add a temporary repair and/or speed buff to your ship.

10. Mooring @ikarirain

• Introduce a new item to be crafted at Smithy's from the Seamanship tree, Bollard. There are instances where a ship is too large to reach an anchor-able point, so it's been proposed to allow ships the ability to be moored in by ropes to Bollards, which can be placed on piers or shipyards, to safely "anchor" the ship in your territory, given anchoring isn't possible.
  • Additionally, increase the amount of Bollards needed to moor a ship depending on the ship's size and/or weight.

11. Select All or Individual Sail Controls @Shakarian

• Ability to control all sails from the wheel, or select which individual sails to give certain commands to. For instance, all sails selected by default. But press keys similar to the cannon crews to deselect certain sails.

12. More Structures on Galleons @Vostik

• Vostik's Galleon is comprised so far of only ceilings, roofs and walls. and They can't even place a ship resource box anymore, yet I see a vast open space in these images still to use. Increase the structure limit on Galleons. 
  • https://imgur.com/a/Mz7F2TT

13. Knots @mKHammerBro

• When building your ship and rearranging sails and what-not, players are asking for a way to measure their speed. To truly see which sail and sail-set-up is faster. This system would obviously be Knots, how to tell how fast your ship is actually moving.

14. Look-Out / Telescope @Aristocrates

• It is known that being at the top of a mast gives the player a slightly larger render-distance so they can see ships and such ahead of time, but it would be nicer if there was a Telescope sort of attachment to build on the Smithy that could be attached to the top of the mast, further improving this render distance for preparation or avoidance purposes.

15. Additional Sails @Grodgen

• Auxiliary sails:
    • Jibs, Mizzens, Staysails, etc: Currently we only have access to main mast sails. It limits the potential of ships. Ships have tons of sails on them, including these smaller or medium sized ones. Have them take up sail a small amount of points like masts but provide enough bonuses to the ship to make them viable.
  • Lateen Sails:
    • We have square sails, gaff sails, and mainsails in game right now, however, we are missing lateen sails, which were used way before the other three became popular.

16. Collidable Bowsprits / Figureheads @Grodgen

• Collidable Bowsprits / Figureheads:
    • Currently they have no collision. You can't stand on them and it also limits their functionality as actual bowsprits.

If you like any of these options, please reply "+1" an don't forget to 🔼 Upvote 🔼 the post! I'll be adding ideas posted here by others and tagging them for credit so this post gets bigger and noticed!

Thank you for taking the time to read this @Jatheish! Regardless, loving the game.

Edited by Sovereign Snow
Removed Lever line.
  • Like 38
  • Thanks 11

I would love to see some actual bow sprits that work.... staysails between the masts.   And the ability to grapple a ship and pull it closer when at sea or docking.   

• Like 6

+1 to all of these.

Additionally,

Handling and Weight Sails face the wrong way when placed at the front of a ship. They need an option to rotate them 180 degrees so that they look like they are facing the right way, with the crows nest facing forwards and the sails billowing forwards.

All ships should have a craftable bow sprite, with bought figureheads snapping underneath.

An option so that a Handling or Weight Sail placed at the front of the ship connects to the bow sprite.

There was the suggestion of half decks for Brigs and Schooners, but I'd also like to see an option to place a small platform above the bow sprite/bow for people to stand on.

Edited by Kaitlynn Allen
  • Like 2

I would like the ability to control sails separately or together.  I don't always want all my sails open full or closed.  I'd like to raise my speed sails and just guide my ship around with my handling sail at times.

• Like 3

Also, I know this seems not needed. However a rope to throw in the water to measure knots/speed would be amazing... 

• Like 3

On 1/15/2019 at 5:17 AM, Sovereign Snow said:

13. More Structures on Galleons @Vostik

• Vostik's Galleon is comprised so far of only ceilings, roofs and walls. and They can't even place a ship resource box anymore, yet I see a vast open space in these images still to use. Increase the structure limit on Galleons. 
  • https://imgur.com/a/Mz7F2TT

Uh Hello, and Yes Please!! :classic_rolleyes: These were ALL good, but this one REALLY stands out - Galleons are like empty barns with the current limit, and the PerPlatformMaxStructuresMultiplier server setting does not (seem to) have any effect on this either, possibly because Ships are handled differently due to leveling / etc.

Edited by Our Grid
clarity
  • Like 2

I really like the idea of a "captains deck" it triggers me to no end that you cant connect the wood ceiling pieces to the remainder of the ship on the back side.

Two things I think should be added.

One is a different type of balista ammo, pretty much a grapple hook thats launched out of it so that ships can be boarded more effectively. To balance this, the ship that is to be boarded has to be going below a certain speed. If you try to grapple the ship while its moving at a high speed, not only should the balista be destroyed, but the surrounding plank/decking should be significantly damaged too.

Second, allow players to arm their crew with melee weapons so they have the same combat attitude as the soldiers of the damned. Instead of chasing enemy players like a mindless mob of zombies.

• Like 2

NPCs on  a ship should be bind to it.
To prevent npc glitching and falling/disappear. If a npc is on a ship it has to stay on the ship.

To piggyback off of ship changes.. A few things I would like to see from ships:

• Better ship physics (Such as not being fixed to the sea floor when anchoring, and still floating on top of the water, or not insta-stopping when dropping the anchor)
  • Anchor mods to allow deeper anchoring, maybe a mod for purchase at a freeport or such
  • Flags on top of the masts - They look pretty naked and bare right now
  • No longer clipping through walls and falling out of the back of the ship when it's in motion. This is especially bad when spawning at a bed on a moving ship
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

I'd like to add... Reverse speeds are slow enough. They should not be decreased to 5% when trying to back out of a shallow. I have legitimately spent upwards of 30 minutes backing a ship out of a single shallow that was only obstructing the front 5% of a Galleon. That is taking things a bit too far.

• Like 2

I can certainly vote for #4 !

Sooooo f***ing annoying to have a bear or something else stuck on top of a cannon and basically only getting it free cause of a server restart... -.-

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sovereign Snow said:

Collision should be removed inside your own territory. For the greifers and trolls that now resort to just blocking you in.

Colliding with them doesn't do damage.. I just run through them with my brigantine and send them flying. Lol.. They get out of the way then. :P

• Like 1

for the permission to come abboard:

i would maybe go another way in that:

• crew capacity is not in effect while anchored (or additionally while no player of the faction is online on the grid) so that people can not sink anhored ships (or ofline raid ships)
  • option to kick players overboard (maybe combined with restaining so he can't grapple back onto it)
Edited by darkmeadow
  • Like 1

Different  ship styles would be cool maybe base the designs on different cultures, Polynesian, middle east ,ancient Greek, Asian  and viking .these cultures all have a wide variety of vessel designs of different sizes and capabilities a history of piracy it would spice sea warfare up  and give lots of options for players

• Like 3

I would love to have more of the ship frame to be snap-able too. For example I cannot seem to get my building on my Galleon to line up with the frame of the boat. Instead there is quite a bit of cracks just large enough to fall into but no way to get out. If we can snap from the top of the back down or even a way to turn the catwalks sideways to bridge the gaps so its not a full ceiling tile but it stops the death trap. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vostik said:

I would love to have more of the ship frame to be snap-able too. For example I cannot seem to get my building on my Galleon to line up with the frame of the boat. Instead there is quite a bit of cracks just large enough to fall into but no way to get out.

I have this exact problem with the back of my Brig. My tames are always getting stuck in the cracks as well. I have the sides within inches now, but the back of the Brig always has a few feet that I cannot seem to fill.

• Like 2

Snow, I did make a post about this but it seems this is the place to drop it.

1) Collidable Bowsprits / Figureheads: Currently they aren't collidables. You can't paint them or stand on them, it also limits their functionality as actual bowsprits.

2) Auxiliary sails: Jibs, Mizzens, Staysails, etc: Currently we only have access to main mast sails. It limits the potential of ships. Ships have tons of sails on them, including these smaller or medium sized ones. Have them take up sail a small amount of points like masts but provide enough bonuses to the ship to make them viable. Having bowsprits collidable means that they can be used to attach jibs to, like they are in real life.

3) Lateen Sails: We have square sails, gaff sails, and mainsails in game right now, however, we are missing lateen sails, which were used way before the other three became popular.

Thanks for making this list, mate. You're awesome. :pirate_mask:

• Like 2

They need a full deck below the bottom most deck. i currently had to build out this deck with ceilings.. 140 ceiling tiles to be exact. this cuts harshly into the very limited item budget of the Galleon. 

There needs to be a separate build budget for each ship class. Do I really need a 250 item budget for a sloop? where a 250 item budget for a galleon is far to small. Especially since each component counts toward this budget. 

• Like 2

I know that this is the kind of game where you should be able to build anywhere and creativity means a lot. But I find it ridiculous enough to overturn the ship's design. Devs wanted to create a hardcore game but a player can build a wall of cannons on the back or front of the ship and oneshot whatever he wants. Besides, ships with huge buildings on them are ugly. In my opinion, ships must have a predefined design and only the sails can be modified. The cannons must only be placed in the lower deck and with their relative gunports. At most, side cannons can be added on the upper deck. By removing the possibility of adding structures, Devs should provide more types of ships. For example 5 types of sloops, 5 types of brigantines and 5 of galleons. Maybe with the same statistics but with different skins. It would be far more realistic and players should rely a lot more on maneuvers during a battle.

I agree with all points.
In addition:
6. Send - To / Send - Off

The ability to mass-command crew easily to assigned positions like cannons/sails