MasterED

High CPU Utilization on Dedicated Server With 0 USERS

Has anyone else noticed that when no one is on a dedicated server it is still taking up a significant amount of CPU time?  I tried it under a VM with 1 CPU allocated and it was taking 50-60% of it.  With 4 CPUs allocated it was using about 10-15% of each.  CPU is i7-3930 3.0GHz (6 cores).   I can confirm that memory usage floats between 1.5G and 5G depending on active users.

Thanks in advance for any information on your CPU utilization or constructive comments.

Zed

Edited by MasterED

It dramatically depends on the CPU. I've seen servers running on i7 4gen and one grid slurps 20-30% CPU.
We run our server on E5-1650 v3 and we use only about 5% per grid.

So I think it matters what CPU you  are using. And i7-3gen, i would not run more than 1 grid on it.

Running Atlas on a VM is never going to work well. Thats been known since the initial days of its release. And is exactly why it took so long for any hosting providers to manage to offer hosting, and subsequently why their prices are so stupid high!

Ya.. if you compare a bare metal machine with the same resources it will be significantly stronger running

There are some that Ive helped set up that run on VMs, but small maps for family or whatever. Like... less than 10 people max. Thats fine. But in those cases its cheaper to run it at home too

Edited by smooreace

I do appreciate the response.  Clearly running on bare metal instead of a VM is going to be superior (if you have that option).

The interesting point I was making was that when no one is connected it appears the Atlas server is using CPU resources.  If I stop Atlas then the utilization drops - any idea why an Atlas server with no one connected would consume a significant amount of CPU resources?

Zed

6 hours ago, MasterED said:

I do appreciate the response.  Clearly running on bare metal instead of a VM is going to be superior (if you have that option).

The interesting point I was making was that when no one is connected it appears the Atlas server is using CPU resources.  If I stop Atlas then the utilization drops - any idea why an Atlas server with no one connected would consume a significant amount of CPU resources?

Zed

This also could be due to your map setup.  Certain islands will have dramatically different resource allocation.  You will notice on official that nearly all _PVE islands are in a solo grid or with 1 or 2 other islands.  Also if the islands are too close within the same grid this seems to cause issues along with overlaps of the actual island footprint with another island especially if two islands are dramatically different. i.e overlapping the footprint of a Tropical and Polar island causes all sorts of weirdness.

15 hours ago, tuvok said:

hm @smooreace hm

i have a 2x3 Grid on my https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2117

VM Server and 2 ARK Server and its OK for me .. but i have not so many Players on the Servers

I run five zones each on those virtual machines at the moment, however I do get a fair number of players in some zones. I've noticed a little lag at times, but there have been a few other situations that may have caused that such as catfish overspawning in a pond on a specific island (which I worked around by adding a spawn override to the defaultgame.ini). I'm guessing more players in a single zone just needs a higher clock speed per core such as an i7 CPU. Another problem I've been experiencing recently is redis crashing and running out of memory. Might be a Windows specific issue with Redis though, given Redis isn't officially maintained or supported for Windows anymore. I'm setting up a Debian VM for Redis.

One other issue I've noticed is that the IP's from netcup seem to take a good while to show up in the server list when searching.

Edited by Ixel

Starting point would be to put in NetServerMaxTickRate=15 in the Engine.ini under [/script/onlinesubsystemutils.ipnetdriver]. This will significantly drop the CPU usage and is what Official Servers still use as far as i know. Additionally as people have mentioned, it would be better running it on bare metal as it won't have the VM overhead to deal with. But obviously a VM is entirely possible of course if that's the preferred route.