Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
ExplodingYeti

Shrink the crafting benches so they can fit in boats please.

Recommended Posts

So i'm not part of one of those zerg and didn't hop in a galleon without even learning to drive a raft; quiet the contrary i went easy mode, first in pve, going up the learning curve slowly.

So one of the aim i though was possible in this game was that i could just live in a boat, right? Have it at least as a semi constant base up until it sink like real boats.

So i made a sloop, can't even fit a few cannons, fine made a schooner, can't fit any crafting benches, made a brigantine thinking that the 3 decks would be enough space... Well no luck almost all the benches are so fucking huge they won't fit in unless you destroy a deck (then have no cannons) or put them in the upper deck where they will always be in your way, get destroyed by the first cannon balls... Just bad. I'm not sure for the Galleon but i don't even plan to have one.

So i'm not sure if it's just an oversight from the design team since most of the assets are reused from Ark, which is fine but they should be tweaked for this game;  or a design choice. But I really think they should be shrunk to fit in boats, sure not in sloops, but brigs should be able to put them all or almost. Currently the only 'good' crafting bench is the smithy.

Edited by ExplodingYeti

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put your forge on the top deck if you’re that dead determined and your tannery smithy and loom can fit on the bottom deck on the brig.. I think your placement of items and storage might not be up to snuff. There is lots of room on a brig

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ExplodingYeti said:

So i'm not part of one of those zerg and didn't hop in a galleon without even learning to drive a raft; quiet the contrary i went easy mode, first in pve, going up the learning curve slowly.

So one of the aim i though was possible in this game was that i could just live in a boat, right? Have it at least as a semi constant base up until it sink like real boats.

So i made a sloop, can't even fit a few cannons, fine made a schooner, can't fit any crafting benches, made a brigantine thinking that the 3 decks would be enough space... Well no luck almost all the benches are so fucking huge they won't fit in unless you destroy a deck (then have no cannons) or put them in the upper deck where they will always be in your way, get destroyed by the first cannon balls... Just bad. I'm not sure for the Galleon but i don't even plan to have one.

So i'm not sure if it's just an oversight from the design team since most of the assets are reused from Ark, which is fine but they should be tweaked for this game;  or a design choice. But I really think they should be shrunk to fit in boats, sure not in sloops, but brigs should be able to put them all or almost. Currently the only 'good' crafting bench is the smithy.

It's an oversight indeed but from you. Please let me give you an example:

First of all the smithy can be easily fit on a sloop, as well as a large storage box, a resource box and a food larder. All at once. (as I have on my sloop now). May need to twist the brains to get a few cannons going, but it's not impossible (personally not using any).

Secondly, recently built a brig. I have a forge, loom, tannery, smithy all fit on the bottom deck without destroying any of the other decks and without blocking 12 cannons on the middle deck. The top is completely empty and yet unused, so at this point there still are many options.

I'm not trying to brag, but just because you didn't think of how to do that doesn't mean it's impossible. And that's my point. Watch a few YouTube videos, maybe they will inspire you on some design ideas.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think people have some reading problem, as i mentioned a few benches do fit, other don't. A loom or a forge don't fit for example the ceiling is just too low. Go try it guys before posting thank you anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ExplodingYeti said:

I think people have some reading problem, as i mentioned a few benches do fit, other don't. A loom or a forge don't fit for example the ceiling is just too low. Go try it guys before posting thank you anyway.

They just stated that they have tried it. They do fit. The only table with issues is the cooking pot, standing on deck above it will kill you, but you can easily replace that with a grill.

Also "Put your forge on the top deck if you’re that dead determined"

Edited by Nari
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ExplodingYeti said:

I think people have some reading problem, as i mentioned a few benches do fit, other don't. A loom or a forge don't fit for example the ceiling is just too low. Go try it guys before posting thank you anyway.

I guess you're talking about me.

25 minutes ago, Bushma said:

I have a forge, loom, tannery, smithy all fit on the bottom deck without destroying any of the other decks and without blocking 12 cannons on the middle deck.

Well I'm not sure who has reading problems as I mentioned a loom and a forge as well. They do fit on the bottom deck without destroying any of the decks. Just because you personally can't figure out how to do it doesn't mean that they don't fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ExplodingYeti

The only crafting benches you have to set on your ship are the smithy and mortar & pistle. These benches are needed for the most recipes and to repair the essential tools. You can place it even on sloops, if you know how to build the under deck up. See this tutorial vid for help to build a good sloop with usable under deck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UIpIJ1WXfE

Its only one example. There are many more cool designs for the sloop.

 

The loom and the tanner are not necessary to have on a ship constantly. The loom is only to build new sails, storage bags and some other optional stuff. You can place it temporary to build this new stuff and then you can it break down. Also the tanner. You need it to craft new clothes for colder regions. If you have it, you need the tanner not anymore. The clothes last for a very long time and very rarely have to be repaired or rebuilt. Exempted of course is the PvP or die on a far region.

The melt I use only on lawless islands near metal deposits. I make my desired supply of bars and sail on. I have these crafting stations in my storage and if i need one, then i place it. Thats it!

I hope that will help you.  🙂
 

Good Luck and have fun!

 

Edited by Othias

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Bushma said:

It's an oversight indeed but from you. Please let me give you an example:

First of all the smithy can be easily fit on a sloop, as well as a large storage box, a resource box and a food larder. All at once. (as I have on my sloop now). May need to twist the brains to get a few cannons going, but it's not impossible (personally not using any).

Secondly, recently built a brig. I have a forge, loom, tannery, smithy all fit on the bottom deck without destroying any of the other decks and without blocking 12 cannons on the middle deck. The top is completely empty and yet unused, so at this point there still are many options.

I'm not trying to brag, but just because you didn't think of how to do that doesn't mean it's impossible. And that's my point. Watch a few YouTube videos, maybe they will inspire you on some design ideas.

 

 

My experience mirrors this poster. Not really sure what the Op is on about. We have built everything up to a brig. When we had just a schooner the tannery and loom we placed on the shipyard, as they are most space consuming and also least necessary shipboard. Those two I might agree it wouldn’t hurt to shrink just a little. Everything else we got aboard no problem. On the brig it was extremely simple to get all crafting stations and plenty of storage. On the brig we put the forge topside as well as loom, everything else quite easily went on lower decks. To me it feels like one would have to go out of one’s way just to pretend this was any sort of difficulty on that size ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bushma said:

I guess you're talking about me. 

 

No I'm not, every single person that responded is included right now.

 

Well i can't fit them in my Brig, maybe we have some special boats or there is a bug involved. I just double checked, they just don't let me place them, say it's obstructed but the floor is empty. I would make a video to show it, but it's not in my habit and can't bother doing it just to prove my point. In any case the dev team know for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Odd... im running an exploration schooner, with everything below deck, exept for the forge, that is currently placed on the top deck due to en emergency situation where this numbnut forgot to bring alloys 😕
Heck, my company friend even managed to stuff a smithy below deck, aswell as a preservation bag on his sloop o.O

For placing below deck, i HIGHLY recomend doing so in first-person-view. Near, if not completely, impossible to do in third person view :S
(Change view using the "P" key.... unless you keybinded that to something else..)

Edited by Rita Longlegs
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just realized the perspective when placing thing is probably what was making it so frustrating for the OP. Thanks for mentioning it. It will probably solve it for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ExplodingYeti said:

I think people have some reading problem, as i mentioned a few benches do fit, other don't. A loom or a forge don't fit for example the ceiling is just too low. Go try it guys before posting thank you anyway.

Many people have tried it and succeeded. You just need to learn how to design with the space you have. Brig is 3 decks. Use the bottom deck for the larger crafting benches like the loom and forge, there's ample room to leave ceilings out to make headroom for taller benches. Kinda hate when people whine about stuff that's really down to their own ineptitude and an unwillingness to learn to play.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bushma said:

It's an oversight indeed but from you. Please let me give you an example:

First of all the smithy can be easily fit on a sloop, as well as a large storage box, a resource box and a food larder. All at once. (as I have on my sloop now). May need to twist the brains to get a few cannons going, but it's not impossible (personally not using any).

Yep, I can fit a Smithy and a Preserving Bag (should I think it worth the bother) below deck on a Sloop, then the deck itself gets the Bed, a couple of large Storage boxes, a Campfire and, if I'm in the mood, two or three small Storage Boxes up in the bow. 

Anyone who can't fit that isn't trying.  😉  I haven't used larger ships up to now, but some of the videos I have seen of Schooner builds are very impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sT5rVZMDzM&feature=youtu.be

 

Edited by Coggage
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ExplodingYeti said:

So i made a sloop, can't even fit a few cannons, fine made a schooner, can't fit any crafting benches, made a brigantine thinking that the 3 decks would be enough space... Well no luck almost all the benches are so fucking huge they won't fit in unless you destroy a deck (then have no cannons) or put them in the upper deck where they will always be in your way, get destroyed by the first cannon balls... Just bad. I'm not sure for the Galleon but i don't even plan to have one.

Umm,

You can fit multiple cannons on a sloop. 

And the brig is huge and will take all of them.  You may need to take out a ceiling tile temporarily to place it, then put it back down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a 'home brig' and everything fits.  Sure some things are large, but we started by removing the middle floor.  The hull of the ship houses all the crafting stuff / main storage.  On the bow deck, we have build a sizable cabin that holds beds, foodstuffs, grill etc..  The cabin at the stern of the ship holds the wheelhouse tools etc & access to the lower deck..  So as you can see we had to hollow the hull to fit everything (plus also, who finds it claustrophobic with all sub decks?)  [WE DO!]  so the hull is nice and open with access to the deck via the stern side and into the wheelhouse.

We're playing nomads on a private server...   forget doing that on official servers.... some numpty will sink it for the lol's and we put a lot of work into it!   😄

Will be back on PvE official servers when they fix players being able to sink other player boats via the various cheesing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Coggage said:

Yep, I can fit a Smithy and a Preserving Bag (should I think it worth the bother) below deck on a Sloop, then the deck itself gets the Bed, a couple of large Storage boxes, a Campfire and, if I'm in the mood, two or three small Storage Boxes up in the bow. 

Anyone who can't fit that isn't trying.  😉  I haven't used larger ships up to now, but some of the videos I have seen of Schooner builds are very impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sT5rVZMDzM&feature=youtu.be

 

I make a half wall high and 2 length box on my sloops (It looks like a cannon deck but really it is to fit a lot of stuff out of sight.)  Under the Sloop deck I have a bed/smithy/Large storage box/Mortar and Pestal/Resource box/Ammunition container/Perserving bag and still able to walk from the front to the back underneath for easy repairs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, LifelessGamer said:

I make a half wall high and 2 length box on my sloops (It looks like a cannon deck but really it is to fit a lot of stuff out of sight.)  Under the Sloop deck I have a bed/smithy/Large storage box/Mortar and Pestal/Resource box/Ammunition container/Perserving bag and still able to walk from the front to the back underneath for easy repairs.

Ive fit a food larder, large locker, ships resource chest, bed, preserving bag, mortar and pestle and smithy all below decks with a 1/2 wall up above deck height for 1/3rd of the ship to cover the top of the locker, larder, and smithy. (plus gives me a height advantage for wheel and mount a cannon if i wished).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, archaegeo said:

Ive fit a food larder, large locker, ships resource chest, bed, preserving bag, mortar and pestle and smithy all below decks with a 1/2 wall up above deck height for 1/3rd of the ship to cover the top of the locker, larder, and smithy. (plus gives me a height advantage for wheel and mount a cannon if i wished).

Why a larger and preservation bag?  I thought larger=4x food duration and preservation bad was 8x.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

I just realized the perspective when placing thing is probably what was making it so frustrating for the OP. Thanks for mentioning it. It will probably solve it for him.

Ye thanks for trying to help i just played a bit and tried again, 1r or 3d person doesn't matter for me, i just can't place the benches... Probably some kind of glitch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can deff fit them all on a brig and prob on a schooner, just have to mess around with redesign if you want to cram all the crafting stations on 1 boat you going to have to give up some aesthetics to make it work  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LifelessGamer said:

Why a larger and preservation bag?  I thought larger=4x food duration and preservation bad was 8x.

Crew eat from the larder, bags preserve 3x longer than larder.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ExplodingYeti said:

Ye thanks for trying to help i just played a bit and tried again, 1r or 3d person doesn't matter for me, i just can't place the benches... Probably some kind of glitch.

Yeah def sounds like you’re a bug victim or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Nari said:

Crew eat from the larder, bags preserve 3x longer than larder.

Makes sense, ty.

 

I misspoke on the preservation bag.  It is x12 and as you said that would be 3x longer than the larder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LifelessGamer said:

Makes sense, ty.

 

I misspoke on the preservation bag.  It is x12 and as you said that would be 3x longer than the larder.

I find your avatar amusing and also oddly hypnotic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×