Hiqual

Cyclone sinking ship almost instantly

I had just pulled in along shore with my schooner and anchored. I was chatting with a gentleman when a cyclone came in close to shore and sunk my new boat almost instantly. I thought cyclones did not bother ships that were anchored next to shore? I lost my new ship and all supplies. Funny part is the ship sunk and the mast is sticking out of the water. Is it possible that the ship  got glitched that it sunk so quick??  If not do you think maybe you should cut back on the cyclones a bit? I have seen areas with over 10 in one spot. This is unrealistic and I think that maybe these need to be looked at. I have spent 2 days building this ship and it sunk under 10 seconds when being full health next to shore!! Thinking this should be addressed.

Uh, the Cyclone's shouldn't instantly sink your ship unless you are not doing repairs on your ship and hitting banks and other things and high water's. you always need to do repair's once a day probably to be safe... i have went through a huge storm of cyclone's and never sank.

6 minutes ago, xJuliusCaesar said:

Uh, the Cyclone's shouldn't instantly sink your ship unless you are not doing repairs on your ship and hitting banks and other things and high water's. you always need to do repair's once a day probably to be safe... i have went through a huge storm of cyclone's and never sank.

this , ai crew repair ships when idle , get some , or make sure u repair every day before u set off on trips 

Cyclones spawn near unanchored ships but will affect anchored ships.  So somebody else might have been unanchired near you to spawn them.

That being said they are not supposed to cause that much damage.  I've accidentally gone through a couple out at sea and only taken token damage.  I could probably not even try and dodge them and still not sink (but need repairs)

I've seen a few reports this patch of cyclones coming wayy too close to shore and hitting anchored ships. According to those reports cyclones now 'push' ships and if the ship gets pushed into too shallow water/onto rocks, it just insta-gibs.

Can confirm that they do indeed "push" ships. Had this unpleasant experience over the weekend. 

Also confirming they come to shore and sometimes on land in the region I'm in. They've destroyed ships in progress on shipyards, and have done some damage to anyone who built bases near the water.

I feel like when I sail through them, the damage is negligible compared to when my ship is anchored or hit by the ones near shore. Not sure why that would be the case.

Could a stray cyclone be why my brig in progress (still in drydock) had 600 damage on all 40 planks this morning? 

1 minute ago, jabnlab said:

Could a stray cyclone be why my brig in progress (still in drydock) had 600 damage on all 40 planks this morning? 

I sailed my sloop through a storm, and was hit by at least two twisters inside it. When I got through, I had 700 damage to each plank. So that could have been what happened.

And not sure why people are saying cyclones inflict negligible damage. They do I suppose if you avoid the spouts inside them. (It used to be possible to go through the spouts without your ship taking damage, but that changed in one of the patches late last week).

yeah been out sailing alot today they do alot more damage now , was just going into one and came out and company members reported 700 damage in one tornado , so i stop dead silent with ship and had to wait it out and ended up with near 1k damage -.- , so do not travel into them , or just stop and wait it out if you can , and always always have plenty repair supplies cause storms-tornados if not taken serious now can sink you

I have decent luck avoiding them, but I've had times its cyclone or demon ship, and cyclone is the lesser of the 2, lol. But I try to keep atleast 1k thatch, fiber and wood plus 200 or 300 metal on bored depending on how long Ill be away and a half dozen replacment planks

I was traveling just a short distance between 2 islands in the same grid only to be killed once, respawn and then have my ramshackle sloop sunk by a storm yesterday. I'm near ocd level with keeping my ships repaired and was amazed at how fast the storm wrecked both my character and my ship. Very unsettling how this game mechanic has increased so much.

how soon after going to anchor did the cyclone hit you. Cyclones push ships around and might have push you aground. also there might have been lag that allow the cyclone to do damage before the server registered you were at anchor.

They need to cut back on the number of spawned cyclones. especially if they are going to make them more deadly. I would rather dodge damaging cyclones than sail through an unavoidable wall of ship seeking cyclones.

• Like 1

Was on Blackwood map midway between Skullclap Island and King's Arena and a cyclone stripped the planks off my brig and sank it in under 30 seconds. WTH is up with cyclone damage being so high? this amount of damage is beyond retarded.

On 1/4/2020 at 7:59 PM, Kahlan Amnell said:

Was on Blackwood map midway between Skullclap Island and King's Arena and a cyclone stripped the planks off my brig and sank it in under 30 seconds. WTH is up with cyclone damage being so high? this amount of damage is beyond retarded.

So, those earlier reports you responded to are not at all how it works today. Like someone said above, you need to repair your ship daily, that is still true. More than likely, your ship was very close to sinking, the cyclone hit and finished the job. A single storm where you get hit a few times by a cyclone will not sink a fully repaired ship.

The other possibility is that this is a bug on the Blackwood map. That map is fairly new and has more bugs than the online version of the game (I assume you were playing single player on it, which also has more bugs than the online version).