Sign in to follow this  
Talono

What is the point of ship building ?

If you sail rafts with just a box and a bed it maybe survives for a day or two, because people are in general too lazy to destroy it.

In general, not always. On average my rafts survive for one day. Often i just have to replace a bed, seldom some complete braindead guys destroy it completely.

My record survival time of slopp and better is 3 hours 14 minutes till now. After that they are 100% gone by flamearrow trolls, cannon trolls, explosive barrel trolls or other kind of trolls.

You dream of investing to build a galleon and want it to be still intact next morning ? HaHa, very funny, really.

This is a ship game that does not allow players to have, well, ships ?😂

• Like 3

PvP and Asshats go hand in hand.  That said, even in PvE ships aren't safe from sinking because of the weight exploit, which is pretty much the number one complaint in this forum and the Steam forum and the Devs haven't even uttered a word about it, never mind tried to fix it.  Pathetic, really.  I love the game but they really need to sort this out FAST, and they're not.

• Like 3

I pretty much felt the same way after I lost my first sloop to "reasons". I spent a lot of time on it, completely decked it out every way I could think of, only to have it just inexplicably vanish parked in front of my base. All the company logs said was that it was "removed". Whatever the hell that means other than, "last night you had a sloop, this morning you don't! Sucks to be you!"

Then I had some help building a new sloop, and I just built pretty much a bare-bones kind of set up. Funny thing is, that one has lasted me for like a couple weeks now. So yeah, building a ship, especially right now is a bit of a gamble. It's less of a gamble the more people you have to help you out, but it can be a huge gamble for smaller company/solo players. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this situation is OK or that I like it or anything like that. Between the glitches and exploiters and whatever other random crap the game decides to throw at you, the situation is far from OK.

My only advice with ships is the same as it would be for any other type of gambling, and that would be not to gamble with any more than you're prepared to lose. I wouldn't dream of even starting a galleon right now. No way in hell. I would love to have a galleon, but I'm not prepared to build one and have it sink, or "be removed" or whatever. A Schooner is probably the biggest I'd go, but the other guy in my company started up a brigandine. So that's our gamble next time I guess. 

2 hours ago, Talono said:

If you sail rafts with just a box and a bed it maybe survives for a day or two, because people are in general too lazy to destroy it.

In general, not always. On average my rafts survive for one day. Often i just have to replace a bed, seldom some complete braindead guys destroy it completely.

My record survival time of slopp and better is 3 hours 14 minutes till now. After that they are 100% gone by flamearrow trolls, cannon trolls, explosive barrel trolls or other kind of trolls.

You dream of investing to build a galleon and want it to be still intact next morning ? HaHa, very funny, really.

Another issue is that apparently not too many people know that Freeports are a "No Parking" zone.  The longest I've heard of a ship surviving a Freeport docking is about 4 hours.  I may be wrong but that's the impression I get.

53 minutes ago, Warspectre said:

I pretty much felt the same way after I lost my first sloop to "reasons". I spent a lot of time on it, completely decked it out every way I could think of, only to have it just inexplicably vanish parked in front of my base. All the company logs said was that it was "removed". Whatever the hell that means other than, "last night you had a sloop, this morning you don't! Sucks to be you!"

Then I had some help building a new sloop, and I just built pretty much a bare-bones kind of set up. Funny thing is, that one has lasted me for like a couple weeks now. So yeah, building a ship, especially right now is a bit of a gamble. It's less of a gamble the more people you have to help you out, but it can be a huge gamble for smaller company/solo players. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this situation is OK or that I like it or anything like that. Between the glitches and exploiters and whatever other random crap the game decides to throw at you, the situation is far from OK.

My only advice with ships is the same as it would be for any other type of gambling, and that would be not to gamble with any more than you're prepared to lose. I wouldn't dream of even starting a galleon right now. No way in hell. I would love to have a galleon, but I'm not prepared to build one and have it sink, or "be removed" or whatever. A Schooner is probably the biggest I'd go, but the other guy in my company started up a brigandine. So that's our gamble next time I guess. 

There have been many means reported for ships to disappear overnight, from animal manifestations to Storm damage to player attacks.  You were lucky.  I built my first Sloop. jumped on board and immediately fell into the cargo hatch.  I gave up trying to get out after about an hour... I had no inventory to build anything useful.

I ended scuttling my brand new Sloop right there in the Harbor. :classic_cool::skull:

The open bit of deck on the Newbie Sloop?  I did that too, thinking I could jump out.  I just clicked the Steering Wheel and that got me back on deck.

Hmm... let me see... My sloop, has been afloat now for coming up on 9 days.  The oldest Schooner in our group was just recently lost to a glitch on server crossing, was 8 days old.   Our 3 Brigs are between 5-7 days old.  And our Galleon is 4 days...  

So losing a ship in a matter of hours well that is on you.   

2 hours ago, Talono said:

Well it is really a grind game. 95% is the grind. Ark and atlas are very grind intensive games. You have to be able to donate a lot of time to it. That is just the way it is. Won’t change anytime soon

Ships that survive that many days on the PVP server ? Astonishing ! Where do you live, north pole in a glacier ?😉

In temperate there are nerd death squads destroying everything that they can easily destroy. This is every ship on their path. Stone cube bases take too long and are too much work for them. These are destroyed just by huge companies who want the complete island for themselves.

Ships are 3 minutes, even galleons.

Catch the point ?

Edited by Talono

3 minutes ago, Talono said:

Ships that survive that many days on the PVP server ? Astonishing ! Where do you live, north pole in a glacier ?😉

In temperate there are nerd death squads destroying everything that they can easily destroy. This is every ship on their path. Stone cube bases take too long and are too much work for them. These are destroyed just by huge companies who want the complete island for themselves.

Ships are 3 minutes, even galleons.

Catch the point ?

Actually we live in a temperate zone.  The thing is we control the whole zone.  

I made my personal schooner maybe 1,5-2 weeks ago and it is still alive after some fights with SoTD farming and some chinese zerg trying to raid our base. It's doing well. 

1 hour ago, Hambo said:

There have been many means reported for ships to disappear overnight, from animal manifestations to Storm damage to player attacks.  You were lucky.  I built my first Sloop. jumped on board and immediately fell into the cargo hatch.  I gave up trying to get out after about an hour... I had no inventory to build anything useful.

I ended scuttling my brand new Sloop right there in the Harbor. :classic_cool::skull:

TIP: Press E on the steering wheel of the ship next time that happens. You should be able to see the steering wheel enough to do that  from that position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coggage said:

The open bit of deck on the Newbie Sloop?  I did that too, thinking I could jump out.  I just clicked the Steering Wheel and that got me back on deck.

If you get stuck in a sloop's cargo hold, as long as the steering wheel is close enough you can just hit in on it and your character will teleport to standing in front of the wheel

1 hour ago, Hambo said:

Another issue is that apparently not too many people know that Freeports are a "No Parking" zone.  The longest I've heard of a ship surviving a Freeport docking is about 4 hours.  I may be wrong but that's the impression I get.

You can jump out of the sloop cargo hatch, or atleast I did it yesterday, maybe they updated something or you were just unlucky. 

5 minutes ago, Thermywix said:

TIP: Press E on the steering wheel of the ship next time that happens. You should be able to see the steering wheel enough to do that  from that position.

I didn't have any experience with anything other that a raft at that point but I can see how pressing 'E' would reposition me at the wheel.  Thanks for the tip!

5 minutes ago, Hambo said:

I didn't have any experience with anything other that a raft at that point but I can see how pressing 'E' would reposition me at the wheel.  Thanks for the tip!

Other option was to yell till you were out of stamina and dead, then just respawned and got back on your ship.

I still had my bed in my inventory.  It wouldn't have been a big deal respawning on the dock, I suppose...

By saying "my raft" and "my sloop", you make clear that you play solo. Think of the term "MMO". The "MM" stands for "Massive Multiplayer". Several players that play together and socialize are able to build and secure a galleon. You, as a solo guy, not.

Think of that.

3 hours ago, Coggage said:

PvP and Asshats go hand in hand.  That said, even in PvE ships aren't safe from sinking because of the weight exploit, which is pretty much the number one complaint in this forum and the Steam forum and the Devs haven't even uttered a word about it, never mind tried to fix it.  Pathetic, really.  I love the game but they really need to sort this out FAST, and they're not.

I thought they solved that problem by locking anything with an inventory like smithies and looms. Heck, even campfires are locked. I guess they could still stand on it if they had the numbers.

1 hour ago, Hambo said:

You know if you get stuck in the cargo hatch all you need to do is stand and turn to the steering wheel and click E to start navigating and BAM you are up out of the hole at the steering wheel then you can E again to jump off so .. no need to destroy your sloop..

11 minutes ago, MagicPuncher said:

I thought they solved that problem by locking anything with an inventory like smithies and looms. Heck, even campfires are locked. I guess they could still stand on it if they had the numbers.

People use exploits to just carry 50,000 weight up onto the deck.  Doesn't involve unlocked containers or anything else.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Dingiva said:

By saying "my raft" and "my sloop", you make clear that you play solo. Think of the term "MMO". The "MM" stands for "Massive Multiplayer". Several players that play together and socialize are able to build and secure a galleon. You, as a solo guy, not.

Think of that.

I do think of that, and being solo is bliss.  I can do what I want, where I want, if I want to.  No online job Gathering and making things for people I really don't have anything in common with other than we play the same game.  No being told what to do, no putting up with a leader who could turn out to be a lazy asshat.  No, I never, EVER join up in ANY mmorpg I play these days.  I'm happy to socialize, and I'm happy to help people, but that's it for me - "Massively Multiplayer" just means lots of players on the servers.  It does not mean I have to join up.  There's no advantage to be gained for me by doing so.

As a solo player, I would never build a Galleon anyway... way too big for my needs and thus not needed.  Schooner solo builds look practicable, and that will do me nicely.

Well, if you prefer to stay solo, its cool. But dont expect to have the same effort than groups. Thats the difference between multiplayer and singleplayer games.

Edited by Dingiva

2 hours ago, Dingiva said:

Think of that.

The only reason the guys in this thread haven't lost theirs is because no one has cared to, not because their ships are safe.  Wrong neighbors, heavy thorough traffic, someone looking for a claim to steal and trying to drive you off, and you are screwed.  Or just a bored roamer passing by.  All it takes is a few minutes.  More players doesn't really mean much unless you are taking turns standing guard.

Clipping through planks to get inside.  Killing with weight.  At least kiting animals into them has been fixed I believe.  A few players with tames used to be able to push you over the crew limit as well I hear, not sure if that one was fixed or not.  On pvp oil doesn't show damage ticks, fire arrows are op as usual, people can just ram your boat and kill it full speed as long as they don't mind sacrificing their crappy one.

There is no "securing" period at this time, even in pve.  The extra people just make the loss hurt less and recovery faster.

---Mind you this isn't a post begging for 100% protection at all times.  Just stating that with the sheer number of exploits and ways of nuking a ship fast there is literally nothing you can do to protect a ship.  I think the best post I've seen was a guy saying he parked his in heavily crocodile infested waters (this was pre nerf) and relied on them to kill anyone trying to mess with his ship. 

1 hour ago, Dingiva said:

Well, if you prefer to stay solo, its cool. But dont expect to have the same effort than groups. Thats the difference between multiplayer and singleplayer games.

He already put more effort than non-solo players. He has less total skillpoints and less hands for farming and killing stuff. 

"This is a mmo" is no excuse for loosing anything while not even playing the game during a friggin night.

get on a company dude... i run a Schooner by myself and my ships last for days/weeks