Sign in to follow this  
Saltydog920

What is the point of base building?

Would be an issue, as the ships in Atlas are directly visible while in EVE during docked status they were not visible but just a data entry in a list.

6 hours ago, Talono said:

Companies allowing you to live as slaves on the more rocky, uninteresting part of their island ?

If we do not consider the fact that slavery did end 1865 (officially at least), there are many other things to consider :

- it is no fun to build under 30% tax penalty

- the island owning company can wipe you dirty unworthy slaves whenever they want

- the island owning company can simply change the flag status and all what you have built will decay quickly

No, this is not the solution to make Atlas attractive for solo players, small/average tribes and players with life/friends/family/job.

Just to stay with the facts :

- EVERY island on the PVP servers is taken by a mega company, wiping everyone who sets a foot on their island

- if you build a ship other than a raft it is 100% gone the next day when you come from work to log in, independent if you park it in lawless, freeport, open sea or anywhere else

The only solution is just identical to how this is managed in EVE, Empyrion or Pirates of the Burning sea :

HYBRID PVE/PVP server, bases, ship building on PVE islands, rare ressources and treasure only available in PVP areas so that they can not be gained without risk.

RISK is ok, challenging and full of tension, but not like now auto-loss of all ships bases as soon as you leave the freeport.

So if you sail for treasure hunt into the PVP area and a pirate gets you with panties down... well ok, you have one Schooner less. But you are not reset to tree punching in your freeport like it is now.

Many players recite the EVE motto here very often „Dont fly what you can not afford to lose“.

This is valid in EVE, where you build ships in PVE and then venture out into PVP with them. 

This is not valid in ATLAS where you have auto-loss of all assets.

I find freeport island utterly boring and pretty useless beyond early levels, maybe they could sell land on the islands and ask for upkeep in gold + tax on mined resources, fail to pay up and the land is up for sale again. You will still need to get out there to get some gold to buy the land and pay taxes but at least it would be safe.

That and buy the houses already in freeport.

19 hours ago, Talono said:

A PVE/PVP server would be the perfect solution, live safe and build in PVE, then take the risk and go for a fortune in PVP.

thats the way it should have been from the beginning, for the health of the game.

1 minute ago, Easpada said:

thats the way it should have been from the beginning, for the health of the game.

Claiming balance even more. 

In theory we are all wasting our time building massive bases for the obvious early access wipe probability, but its the building process that makes it fun for me. PVE building is also much safer, for again obvious reasons. I would love to have a water based going up a cliff at some point, but for now I didnt find a suitable spot yet. 

Its so amazing to see the creations of some people just randomly when I visit different islands. 🙂

Edited by Loni