Sign in to follow this  
Jaxium

New PC: Specs

Greetings. Right now, I've tried the game on my laptop which has these specs:

CPU: i7-4510U 2.00 GHz 2.60 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 840M
RAM: 6GB DDR3
And... 1TB HDD

As I had expected, the game didn't even run averagely smooth with those specs, even on low I had 15-25 FPS. So..I'm thinking to buy a new computer or build one myself, not only for Atlas anyway.
I need some recommendations, I have some stuff in mind so..tell me what you think of them, I'd appreciate that.

I'm probably going to buy these:

CPU: i5-8600K 6-Core 3.6 GHz 4.3 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050ti 4GB GDDR5           OR           Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5          (Not sure which)
RAM: 16GB DDR4
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Tell me what you think about that set, and is it going to perform well with Atlas?
Also, is 4-Core good enough for Atlas or 6-Core is required?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Jaxium

4-core should be plenty for atlas. But the kicker is.. Save on the 4core instead of 6.. and upgrade to at least a gtx 1080

When in settings for gpu it shows Low=gtx 660, medium=I dont recall, high=gtx 970.  Before I swear it said high settings required a gtx 1070.  Hopefully it was an optimization update.

Gtx 970 is slightly more powerful than a gtx 1050 ti.  Only reason to go with a gtx 1050 it is to get one that doesn't require 6 pin power connector for a desktop.  Gtx 1060 is equivalent to a gtx 980.  Get the most powerful card you can for the right price.

Rtx 2060 is coming out for 350ish and is equivalent to a GTX 1070 ti.  Rumor of a GTX 2060 but that may never come or be months away.

26 minutes ago, Taks118 said:

4-core should be plenty for atlas. But the kicker is.. Save on the 4core instead of 6.. and upgrade to at least a gtx 1080

The 1060 isn’t the problem. On high settings it does great stuff. The processor is where I’d worry about. I’d wanna have a six core. 

My 1050ti is getting maxed out in terms of performance, but not capacity. On low settings that is. Could be that I suffer from weaker CPU and not GPU, would love to see someone else's input with same GPU.

Edited by Bushma

I wouldn't rely on "1060 is great, high fps on high settings". You don't know if they play on native resolution (resolution slider isn't maxed default) or what native resolution they are using. The refresh rate of your display is also important. The 1060 is meh not more.

Just now, Hammanit said:

I wouldn't rely on "1060 is great, high fps on high settings". You don't know if they play on native resolution (resolution slider isn't maxed default) or what native resolution they are using. The refresh rate of your display is also important. The 1060 is meh not more.

Oh, good point.

9 minutes ago, Bushma said:

My 1050ti is getting maxed out in terms of performance, but not capacity. On low settings that is. Could be that I suffer from weaker CPU and not GPU, would love to see someone else's input with same GPU.

Forgot to mention in my previous reply that I lowered my res to sustain a better fps. So I guess I'd say go for 1060 as well.

11 minutes ago, Hammanit said:

I have it in my school laptop, I just played it today for the first time on auto high settings, runs great. No problem at all. I didn’t change anything to resolution scale. I have it on 1920x1080 standard. 

• Like 1

Actually, seems like I will be going with 1060. Some people told me not to go with 1050ti. I will be playing on a 1920x1080 monitor anyway, so that's a plus.

Now I'm confused about the CPU. Not sure if I should get i5 6-Core, or i7 4-Core, or just hit up with AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core.

Are there downsides if I pair AMD R5 2600 6-Core with GTX 1060 6GB?

6 core CPUs often have issues with other games.. still.. never quite understood that.  But I have had the same i5 for years now, and it is by far the best CPU I have ever had.   

New games are starting to use full CPU capabilities. Dual Universe uses 100% of my i7 8700k. Had to buy liquid cooling for it. 

Look at performance specs of GPU. I never get less than XX70 series. Big jumps in performance levels between XX60 and XX70. You can find 1070 under $400 on sale. 

Easy software to overclock these days, so pointless to pay extra for overclock from supplier. Use something like CPUid to monitor heat levels and look for voltage spikes. Even dummies like me can do it these days.