ikarirain

Mooring System

Lets face it, Galleons and Brigantines are huge, and we like building our fancy piers and docks and parking our ships next to them.   Unfortunately, with many islands, the land drops off super deep super fast.  So, I got to thinking, why not add a mooring system using the same key that activates anchoring, inspired by another lesser known function, the map key.  Did you know, when you double-tap M, it brings up only the compass, and when you press and hold M, it brings up only the map?  This function tells me that it's possible to use a single key for multiple functions based on how it is used.  This said...

The mooring system would involve two craftable parts: A ship-mounted mooring rope (similar to how dinghy and diving apparatus is mounted) and a building-mounted set of mooring posts.  You place these mounting posts on your pier, similar to how a wall will snap, and then build the mooring rope on the side of a ship.  When your ships mooring rope is near a mooring post, you'll see an icon on the right, similar to how the anchor icon pops up.  When it's lit, press and hold X (the anchor key), and the ship will begin a 10-15 second mooring animation while the mooring rope is tossed several times over the mooring posts, slowly tightening until the mooring process is complete, and freezing the ship into place as if it had anchored next to the pier.

This process would allow ships to moor to a pier when the water is too deep for anchoring, and can help easily organize the space in a company's large pier by using the docking space efficiently.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

How it works IRL: There are bollards on the pier and you have a rope with a "monkey fist" which is a weight woven into the end of the rope. Someone on the ship heaves the line over to the dock where it's caught or picked up by a man on the dock, looped around a bollard and then thrown back. This is done both fore and aft on the ship. The sailors on the ship then haul on the lines and pull the ship in to the pier. When it's close enough, additional lines are thrown over, the ship secured and a gang plank extended to allow the transit of people and cargo.

Personally I'd just have it bound to the anchor key. If you're close enough to a dock (as defined by a pair of bollards) and under a certain speed, you get the anchor icon but you actually tie up to the dock instead of throwing out an anchor.

If you wanted to make a mini-game of it, you could use the grappling hook mechanic to throw the monkey fist and catch the bollard. When ropes have been secured fore and aft, the ship is automatically drawn in adjacent to the dock and a gang plank extended (and stair on the deck to get up onto the gang plank).

this is so needed on even a basic implementation. Something has to be done to allow organized parking rather than holding A or D until your ship slowly turns in place enough for it to be out of the way of other ships and still be able to get itself out. This is a perfect idea for player created 'docking' and I truly hope @Jatheish sees this!

@ikarirain May I add this to my ship suggestion post and tag you for credit? Hoping to build the size and upvotes of the post for all to see and hopefully these things get into the game. Excellent idea btw. I love it.

@Sovereign SnowFeel free.  The more exposure it gets, the better the possibility it'd be added.  If a mooring system like this were added, it'd greatly expand the building options for Trade Post owners like myself.  What's the link to your thread, btw?

• Like 1

Oh this actually expands on what my suggestion was regarding mooring posts, I like it. I was basically keeping mine as simple as possible but I like what was suggested here regarding mooring posts.

i would be happy if we had the option to load our ships back inside the shipyard, for customizing, painting or just keeping in port. Otherwise they are just kind of dead space until we decide to build another boat.

On 1/22/2019 at 8:39 AM, Nokim said:

i would be happy if we had the option to load our ships back inside the shipyard, for customizing, painting or just keeping in port. Otherwise they are just kind of dead space until we decide to build another boat.

The could even make Docks "auto-repair" if materials were left inside of the docks.  A lot like a Depot level maintenance.

I would and have suggested that there be craft-able "Mooring Posts" where 2 is needed for sloop, 3 for schooner, 4 for a brig and 5 for galleon, all spaced according to the ship size.  Use grapple hooks, or noose for tethering.   When grappled it would limit the movement of the ship like the anchor, and would pull the ship into the dock slowly.

Great idea! I like it! People love building docks as they are thematic. Adding functionality/benefit to the aesthetic value would be a boon!

• I love this idea.  It's a pain in the ass getting ships in and out of a crowded harbor, and I'd rather see a harbor built out with moorings than a bazillion shipyards.  Once trade really gets going there will have to be spots for traders to put their ships, so the moorings will need permissions that can be set on them as well.

Love this idea, could we also have a floating pier instead of a gazillion pillars?

Edited by Grimlious