Sign in to follow this  
Darien

Proposed Cooking Changes

The amount of resources that get used for cooking the recipies does not justify the produced amount. It is very hard as of now to keep up on producing a decent amount of food in order to keep up with the demands of a mid sized company, unless you farm for 3-4 hours every day. This results to people still choosing to die for a fast reset, as opposed to take the time and stock the ships with food, because it is limitted

But because the purpose of this game is not to actually farm endlessly, but to pvp, blow things up, kill people (or die trying)and/or build bases/towns, I would like to recommend the following changes.

1)Decrease the amount of resources needed for some recipies AND/OR increase the quantity of the produced result
2)Up the amount of meat gathered from certain animals, as a lot of recipes need fresh meat that in turn gets turned to cooked meat passively
3)Increase the size of stacks, especially on the food like Steve's Stuffed & Baked fish that stack only until 5.
4)Up eggs production rate, maybe to two
5)Make Jars (and only jars) hold 200 units of water as quantities, as opposed to 1 that is now.
6)The fresh meat that is going to be produced for recipies, to be excluded from passive cooking, or change all the recipies to use cooked meat.

On a side note, the water pipe system changes are very good, with a single flaw as of now. On a chain of underground water pipe system, if a pillar gets destroyed, the chain gets broken and simply replacing the missing link will not fix the system(a red line connection will appear to the unwatered pillar). Even though there is a small work around to bypass this problem, I suggest that this bug to be addressed and make fixing easier (I don't want to be constantly an Atlas Water Company all the time :P )

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I agree. It's far easier to just go out and collect a bit of berries and vild veggies and complement that with straight up cooked food rather than go through the hassle of getting several different recipes to cover all the vitamins. 

I suggest straight up removing passive cooking and add cooked meat and fish as a craftable option with no skill requirement. It's pretty annoying making recipes when 75% of your meat is gonna cook rather than be used in the recipes you've choosen.

Overall I think your suggestions are good and would certainly improve QOL aswell as provide a bit of meaning to cooking which is certainly overlooked and a bit trash atm. Cooks should be a valuable asset to any crew.

Edited by azmoodeus
  • Like 1

Make the food hold 1 week in Larder or longer. than you can make in team a large amount of food. Today you can start almost every moring with nothing. 

• Like 3

Cooking is not so bad. So far i see only 2 problem.
1. Water.
2. There is no reason cook anything except high tier dishes with buff.

• Like 1

Azmoodeus, maybe it will be better to copy paste the whole post. I for sure do not mind

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Anatas said:

1. Water.

I really struggle to see the point in investing points into cooking when going out and get some veggies, berries, fish and meat is a much simpler way of achieving the equilibrium buff. 

Edited by azmoodeus

5 minutes ago, azmoodeus said:

I really struggle to see the point in investing points into cooking when going out and get some veggies, berries, fish and meat is a much simpler way of achieving the equilibrium buff. 

Dunno, but Stamina buff is brilliant and don't forgot that it work on animals as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anatas said:

Dunno, but Stamina buff is brilliant and don't forgot that it work on animals as well.

Which one is it that gives stam buff? Spiced rum?

I can see why the buffs would make up for some of it but still it's pretty steep to ask one to spend that amount of points when everything else is just so much better.

22 minutes ago, Anatas said:

1. Water.

Problem is that you cannot mass produce easily. It takes a lot lot of time which is counterintuitive to the rest of the gaming experience

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Darien said:

Problem is that you cannot mass produce easily. It takes a lot lot of time which is counterintuitive to the rest of the gaming experience

Yes, it's take time, but that the point. It's reasone for explore or trade. 1 full preservation bags give you resourse for 100 dishes. Right now you will lose 1 cooked food in stuck everyday.

I agree that low and mid tier cooking must give buff too, but system not so bad at all.

2 minutes ago, azmoodeus said:

ah nice. In what biomes do you find rosemary?

Ohh, tempereted or tundra can't tell you for sure last week i travel to much. But i have 4 preservation bags on ship so if find something usefull just full loaded it.

6 minutes ago, Anatas said:

Yes, it's take time, but that the point. It's reasone for explore or trade. 1 full preservation bags give you resourse for 100 dishes. Right now you will lose 1 cooked food in stuck everyday.

I agree that low and mid tier cooking must give buff too, but system not so bad at all.

It is reasonable to travel and get for example 1000 rosemary or Kalak Namak. What is not reasonable is to have to  spend 3 hours gathering meat for a small amount of produced food. I agree with the inceptive of travelling and promoting movement across the map, I just disagree with the fact that you need to spend too much time and effort for a minimal gain. Because to fill up a preservation bag takes much more time than it should

Rosemary is Tundra.

By the way, I had my guild going on a desert to take like thousands of salt, and on tundra to take rosemary and elderberries. I don t mind that, because they do like travelling around

I think the biggest problem is that we have nothing to eat ecept the eggs who hold long. 

When iam on a tour with the ship and want to farm stuff, i cant because the meat and fish rotten faster than the ship traveles tru the lag. Give as a Larder where the normal meat or fish holds about 1 week per unit. Than you can make a big farm round with all mates und have enough meat and fish. Than we need a Grill where we can plug in a water pipe from a Stone Reservoir. There are 200 in so you can cook 200 meals. That is a benefit and nothing else. 

When that all cant be done in a day make the stacks 4 meat aber 500 or so that you lost not over night all your stuff. 

28 minutes ago, Darien said:

It is reasonable to travel and get for example 1000 rosemary or Kalak Namak. What is not reasonable is to have to  spend 3 hours gathering meat for a small amount of produced food. I agree with the inceptive of travelling and promoting movement across the map, I just disagree with the fact that you need to spend too much time and effort for a minimal gain. Because to fill up a preservation bag takes much more time than it should

Right now faster way get meat - killing alphas, but i still don't know fast way get prime fish meat.

11 minutes ago, Anatas said:

It's just way, not fast one )

neither is killing Alphas 😛

2 hours ago, Darien said:

5)Make Jars (and only jars) hold 200 units of water as quantities, as opposed to 1 that is now.

I suspect this would make the jars behave like water barrels where every unit of water weighs 1 kg. A 200kg jar is not welcome!

1 hour ago, Darien said:

neither is killing Alphas 😛

Fire arrows still do they job.

2 hours ago, Anatas said:

1. Water.

Berry tea isn’t high level. It’s very easy to make, requires something almost always easy to find, and it increases vitamin A without causing food meter to rise at all. I don’t know about you but that’s worth making to me.