Sign in to follow this  
RogueLdr

PVE grief sinking solution.

There are many solutions offered on the forums and while any of them are better then what currently exists, they all have flaws.

Best solution is to fix the weight glitch first.

1: At max weight you cannot climb, jump, grapple or glide.

2: If you carry more then double your weight capacity (or X amount over max weight) you die. When you die any weight over your max is dropped from your corpse.

3: When dragging a body you cannot climb, jump, glide or grapple without dropping the body.

4: Anyone not in your company does not count as crew.

You could probably even eliminate 2 if you add 1 and 3. This would stop overcrew sinking and overweight sinking while still retaining the ability to drag a body which has real in game uses.

It probably wouldn't be easy to program but it seems a comprehensive fix, if you see a loop hole please let me know.

EDIT:

Just had a new idea, though i see someone mentioned it below as well.

Simply make the ships unable to move instead of sink; then give us a command to remove any non company sleeping people from your ship. Not drag them as that could create griefing in and of itself, but just an E option to "remove from ship" that pretty much just dumped them overboard.

Edited by RogueLdr

They wont fix the simple wolf problem dude. The devs dont care to make the game better there to busy trying to add in more crap to kill off players and kill and chance of having fun playing.

This solution has its own problems and wouldn't prevent PVE ship sinking. First, #4 would allow people to field much larger crews than they should be allowed. Companies would just have non-member members, so that's a non-starter. Also, its pretty easy to come up with ways to still sink someone's ship with the other restrictions you mention. It might take more people and effort, but it'd still be possible. For example, dropped items still count as weight so a small group with a Brig could pull right next to a Schooner and spit 10,000 lbs of weight onto its deck and sink it without much trouble. And if you only did 1 and 3, one person could stand on the target ship while other players transfer weight to them. 

If its possible to sink other players ships at all in PVE with weight, people will be able to do it. As such my suggested solution which I've posted several times is simple but more comprehensive: 

Ships shouldn't sink when overweight or carrying too many crew, they should simply not move. Boom, fixed. That way it would be impossible, no matter how much effort you put into it, to sink another players ship with weight. The infinite weight exploit, which is a bug from Ark, should also be fixed but doing that alone solves nothing. Quite frankly, ships sinking from weight is a pointless mechanic since you'd have to be a complete idiot to accidently sink your own ship with weight. Its not some sort of major gameplay mechanic and right now its only purpose is to allow griefing in PVE, so it should go. Not to mention it'd be nice to see boarding other players ships in PVP be a viable thing to do at some point. Kind of hard to do that with the current crew/weight limit issue since you could well sink the other ship simply by boarding it with a large party. 

35 minutes ago, RogueLdr said:

There are many solutions offered on the forums and while any of them are better then what currently exists, they all have flaws.

Best solution is to fix the weight glitch first.

1: At max weight you cannot climb, jump, grapple or glide.

2: If you carry more then double your weight capacity (or X amount over max weight) you die. When you die any weight over your max is dropped from your corpse.

3: When dragging a body you cannot climb, jump, glide or grapple without dropping the body.

4: Anyone not in your company does not count as crew.

You could probably even eliminate 2 if you add 1 and 3. This would stop overcrew sinking and overweight sinking while still retaining the ability to drag a body which has real in game uses.

It probably wouldn't be easy to program but it seems a comprehensive fix, if you see a loop hole please let me know.

1: i know you cant jump, the others i havent tested,. But anyway how would it beat the purpose?

2: volapyk

3: think it allready like this!

4: Seems like you want to exploit weight limits.

No solution yet, let the dev work on it, to many possibilities on weight abuse that will ruin the game even more. ill have my ship sunk before i see some ferry million tons of goodies by exploiting it if removing weight on ships for some. "remember the ark quetzal sitting on a chair"

3 minutes ago, kpc said:

1: i know you cant jump, the others i havent tested,. But anyway how would it beat the purpose?

2: volapyk

3: think it allready like this!

4: Seems like you want to exploit weight limits.

No solution yet, let the dev work on it, to many possibilities on weight abuse that will ruin the game even more. ill have my ship sunk before i see some ferry million tons of goodies by exploiting it if removing weight on ships for some. "remember the ark quetzal sitting on a chair"

1: can't sink a ship if you can't get on it.

2: ... i don't know what that is lol

3: far as i know that's one way they are griefing as a dragged bodies weight doesn't count towards yours.

4: How would that be exploiting weight limits?

I guess in theory you could pile 50 people onto one ship... but who cares? It's PVE. Why do i care if you give your friends entire company a lift? It doesn't affect me whatsoever. If 100 people want to stand about and do nothing while 3 people sail instead of taking 2 ships it doesn't really matter.

7 minutes ago, RogueLdr said:

I guess in theory you could pile 50 people onto one ship... but who cares? It's PVE. Why do i care if you give your friends entire company a lift? It doesn't affect me whatsoever. If 100 people want to stand about and do nothing while 3 people sail instead of taking 2 ships it doesn't really matter.

That would give them an advantage fighting things like the sea bosses and SotD. In PVE that's not a huge issue but it IS a balance problem that would favor large groups. 

Also, another problem with your original solution: 20 people carrying 500 lbs would be enough to sink a Schooner. So even if all the movement with weight exploits were fixed, a relatively small group of players with non-overweight inventories could still go around sinking players ships. It would cut down on the individual who decides to sink a Schooner that anchored in front of their house over night but wouldn't solve the issue.  

The most simple and non exploitable way to fix this is to make it so an anchored ship cannot be sunk by access players or weight its that simple. If people are standing on your boat or trying to overload it it wont work as long as you stay docked. you might have to wait for them to leave but at least you wont lose hours of hard work making a ship...This would stop all the bs griefing without allowing you to exploit weight after unanchoring your ship

50 minutes ago, gerok zule said:

The most simple and non exploitable way to fix this is to make it so an anchored ship cannot be sunk by access players or weight its that simple. If people are standing on your boat or trying to overload it it wont work as long as you stay docked. you might have to wait for them to leave but at least you wont lose hours of hard work making a ship...This would stop all the bs griefing without allowing you to exploit weight after unanchoring your ship

Adding an option to expel other players from your ship in PVE would help. 

1 hour ago, MaxPower said:

Ships shouldn't sink when overweight or carrying too many crew, they should simply not move. Boom, fixed. T

then a player overloads himself and logs out on your ship,  boom u cant move it as long as he is logged out on it 

59 minutes ago, gerok zule said:

19 minutes ago, UDO said:

then a player overloads himself and logs out on your ship,  boom u cant move it as long as he is logged out on it 

Read my post literally right above yours. 

Also, fixing the infinite weight exploit would make this a minor issue as well. 

Edited by MaxPower

As it is now You can't Grapple or Jump when Encumbered. They should automatically make you encumbered when you carry a body. or at least add the weight of the body plus it's inventory.