Sign in to follow this  
TrevorJD

Weather effects, Vitamins and Fortitude

In the opinion of everyone in my company and pretty much everyone on the server I play on, the current environment system is broken. Even with ~30 fortitude, a vitamin buff, cloth armor, two levels of armor temp tolerance, a parrot and with the indoors status, I was taking damage from a heat wave. It's patently absurd that such levels of preparation are needed to be able to survive the night, sleeping in your own bed. Another guy in my company had both hot and cold debuffs at the same time (not the wolf protection buff, we checked that).

1. Extreme weather events should be rare, not once an hour.

2. Too many places have ridiculous temperatures like -120 degrees changing to +45 degrees within 15 mins.

3. Spending 20% of my points in fortitude should mean that I can deal with all non-extreme weather. As it stands, I can't see much reward for having spent my points there. Most players in my company just put their points into carry weight and HP for that reason.

4. The vitamin system remains far too finicky to manage. Most players in my company don't bother anymore. If you're not regularly taking bodily damage, it's almost impossible to maintain the buff. When you do lose it, you lose all of it and need to rebuild it over 30 mins again. As mentioned above, the main reward is pretty much useless with the ridiculous environmental effects of the game. Vitamin surplus and deficiency take months and years to develop IRL, not minutes and hours.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Cold biomes also have heat waves..., makes sense.

As for having both cold and warm debuffs, had that too happen by crossing the grid with cold debuff into dessert (why is anyway a hottest biome next to second coldest?, if atleast that dessert was a cold version...), jumping into water fixed that for us.

Like you say, the way vitamins work is really broken.

You need to eat to raise the vitamin level, but when you are at sea (basically inactive) you don't use much food, but the vitamins still go down. Any time you are not eating much (like you are not ever taking damage), your vitamins are still going down, but you can't eat to replenish them. The vitamins should go down at the same rate as your food does, not a separate rate. 

Also if for some reason you are constantly eating, you then get the opposite problem, you get vitamin toxicity, and you take damage from too much vitamins. Constantly fighting and healing could be a cause of this.

Both of the above encourage just killing yourself every so often to re-balance the vitamins, which just makes this a stupid mechanic.

If we are going to keep the vitamins, it should be much simpler. Maybe one group of food restores hunger, one other group (but only eating one of them) raises your vitamins. There should not be four different vitamins, having to carry so many different types of food is ridiculous. With the two mechanics separated, it would be possible to balance both the vitamins and hunger as separate mechanics that aren't impossibly linked so that eventually you will either die or kill yourself to fix it.

I'm really tired of listening to other players cough or complain they can't see from some vitamin deficiency (besides it happening to me sometimes).

Totally agree. Extreme weather, including the water spouts needs to be taken down a notch or two.
As for the vitamins...  The vitamin system is nothing but obnoxious at best. I completely ignore it and find a way to die instead of bothering to fix vitamins when levels get low.

Edited by Smohk

I'm sick of the stupid twisters every time it rains. I run a titan video card with 32 gigs of ram and the darn twister storms TANK my FPS into the ground. They should be rare and not massive 6+ massive twisters in one small area. God forbid you run into a ship of the damned while in these storms thanks to the rapidly changing winds. Lost a number of ships due to this nonsense.

I agree that extreme weather should be less common and they should have lots of types of weather between them. Drizzle, light rain, heavy rain, torrential rain, Thunderstorm, Severe Thunderstorm (Waterspouts), Tropical depression, Tropical Storm, Hurricane. Flurries, snow, blizzard. Light fog, fog, heavy fog, low fog, high fog. Dust Storm, lightning storm (no rain). The heat wave and cold blast happen way to often, they also use a ridiculous amount of extra food especially during rain and cold blasts and water during heat blasts. If I am wearing fur armor which is made from animal fur... which is good and keeping water from penetrating and trapping heat in. How the hell am I 100% wet and freezing to death just walking around in the rain. Also rain falls through some overhanging rocks where it shouldn't on some islands. I have tried using tons of fortitude and also wearing the appropriate weather event related armor and also using the temp bonus in armor and I am STILL affected by the extreme weather. Also would like to see seasons at some point every X in game days. This could allow southern and northern climates to have a summer, spring, winter, fall with seasonal changes in the temperatures and the equatorial islands to maintain a year round tropical season. Could allow growing of warmer foods etc in the extreme climates in the summers. Also agree the weather extremes temperature values need to be gone over. 145C or -125C on the island is maybe a little bit much.

• Like 1

It's worth bumping this again -- the "Extreme Weather Events" don't make any sense, and are only there to kill the player at the most inopportune time. Short of magically having the right stuff in your inventory to deal with the threat, the player is guaranteed to just die randomly, and often at the worst time. (mid-tame, during a treasure fight, or mid-fight with SOD).

My suggestion is to limit the range of extreme events, and give the player the ability to escape the event somehow:

- Extreme heat -- should only occur in the desert... the hint says to get in the water (this currently doesn't work) -- Going inside (home buff) should be enough to escape the heat. There are no "cooling" items in the game yet.

- Tropics -- Favor warmer temperatures (rare extreme heat)

- Temperate -- Favors cooler temperatures (rare extreme cold)

- Extreme cold -- should only occur in the Tundra/Arctic... any clothes (Leather or above) should slow the effect. -- Going inside with ONE fire should be enough to survive. Currently even with fires surrounding the player, it's impossible to survive the cold in the arctic (if you don't have furs).

It might be worth asking the question (What does this add to the game) I'd wager most players would likely reply that extreme weather events should be a removed. Extreme weather is fine if you can plan for it. -- I'm heading for the arctic, I should make furs!!

I use to be able to dip in the water and the wicking effect worked but now not so much. 

1. I am constantly receiving a cold and heat debuff at the same time and if this game is trying to be a real-life survival game why in the hell are we dying of hunger and thirst so fast huh? The basic human standard is 3 days without water and 3 weeks without food, we should NOT be passing out and dying from the effects of starvation, thirst nor overeating as realistically we'd have plenty of time to find food, water, or stop eating from our upset stomach. We, humans also need to urinate and crap but we don't really need a game that makes us do it or die within 30 minutes when we don't, as this would NOT be realistic and obviously NOT fun at all.

(Suggestion: Reduce the time it takes to deplete water and food. Remove the vitamin crap from the game altogether as it is NOT realistic and is an annoying nuisance.)

1. When we are sailing, we should not see impossible amounts of water spouts that regenerate themselves and follow you for miles like heat-seeking missiles. Ridiculous!

(Suggestion: Make the water spouts less aggressive and less common or remove them from the game.)

1. Why do you even have fortitude in the first place if it does nothing to counter the negative environmental effects? What is the point?

(Suggestion: Make every point invested in this attribute, actually decrease the percentage of damage taken from detrimental environmental effects.) 

1. The "Beastmastery" skill "Sneaking" does NOTHING to actually lower wild predators aggressive radius. They still sense us from miles away.

(Suggestion: make this skill reduce creature's line of sight radius.)

1. The "Archery" skill "Strong Arm" does NOT increase ranged projectile damage at all.

(Suggestion: make this skill actually provide increased damage modifier to ranged projectile damage.)

1. The "Hand-to-hand" skill "Brass Knuckles" is a waste of time as the durability is way too low and every punch depletes the weapon's durability too much. In every combative encounter, you perform several punches in succession and after every combat encounter the brass knuckles are destroyed, many times in the middle of combat!

(Suggestion: remove the brass knuckles and just make barehanded combat deal a little more damage to offset this.)

1. Where is the "Tarot" skill tree? Please, do not add anything new into the game until you fix the current broken features and implement the features you have been eluding too from the beginning.

(Suggestion: Implement this skill as you have promised us magic since the beginning and yet add in new content BEFORE the rest is implemented, balanced, or functional.)

Honestly, if you developers would show your community that you actually care and bother to PLAY ATLAS, you would swiftly see exactly the unforgivable nuances your game is generating for those players that are playing your game.

+1 on the whole range of weather effects, there should be some randomness to the type and strength of the rainfall for example, and I’m 100% up for seasons to really mix things up, then the monsoon type rain we get could have it’s place in the tropics in the right seasons.

I’m not saying that we should have a full annual cycle based on 365 game days for the seasons to roll around, maybe only 30 game days per season, but a little bit of planning could then be brought into the game and we get to to say “Winter is coming!” and prepare. Hell, even tames could the suffer in the extreme hot and cold if they’re not provided with shade, water and or shelter.

Edited by HighwaymanEd