Sign in to follow this  
Scorpionshawn

NO FEATURE IN MEGA COMPANIES, THE GAME WILL FAIL!

The devs are going down a really bad path by trying to push everyone into mega companies and not adding in enough content or fun challenges for solo or small groups. 

In the end there will only be so many big companies, These groups will wipe out all the little fish in the sea as they push to rule most servers. Once these companies start getting into some serious battles with one another they will fight till they wipe one another out. This will be taxing on the players who are in big companies that lose everything in battles. Dont think this will only be sea battles. Noooo these companies will wipe out big bases. Players in these companies will get tired of trying to rebuild as other big companies will smash them as they try to recover. It will get boring and people will move on. 

You fan boys can say what you want because its early for you but those of us who are hard core ARK players have seen this happen before. The game will get old quick!

• Like 2

Exactly what you describe will happen/is going on right now.

I evade the problem till now, owning a massive stone cube consisting of hundreds of 1x1 stone chambers. I use rafts that are not worth efforts to destroy them and fake sloops, looking as well like total poverty ships, where even the cost of a cannonball would be an overkill. I provoke or attack nobody on that lawless island and not even defend there.

As soon as i try to get a foothold on a claimable Island immediatelly i get dozends of well equipped players attacking me, bringing mortars and wiping my bridgehead.

This is clearly not pleasing for a gamer.

A concept like EVE would be much better, lawless and freeports PVE, rest PVP. Empyrion is following this concept as well.

Or a map where all of the ocean is PVP and most of the islands PVE (like Pirates of the Burning Sea). This could really be called „Pirate game“ and not like now „Alpha troll tribe heaven“.

This would encourage 1 vs 1 ship battles on the sea and intelligent ship design for speed or firepower depending on the ships role. 

The current setting just encourages players who have lost their 100th base to offline mortars and 100th ships to offline raiders/ship claimers to look for another game.

Edited by Talono
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Scorpionshawn said:

The devs are going down a really bad path by trying to push everyone into mega companies and not adding in enough content or fun challenges for solo or small groups. 

In the end there will only be so many big companies, These groups will wipe out all the little fish in the sea as they push to rule most servers. Once these companies start getting into some serious battles with one another they will fight till they wipe one another out. This will be taxing on the players who are in big companies that lose everything in battles. Dont think this will only be sea battles. Noooo these companies will wipe out big bases. Players in these companies will get tired of trying to rebuild as other big companies will smash them as they try to recover. It will get boring and people will move on. 

You fan boys can say what you want because its early for you but those of us who are hard core ARK players have seen this happen before. The game will get old quick!

so you think the game is going to fail because people are going to group up and cooperate? you mean like real life?

You think the game is going to die because its supporting a bunch of large groups? How is it going to support large groups and have no one playing at the same time? Its not ark 2.0. You just don't want to learn. Everything that is different is not broken. You just don't feel like learning.

Edited by wakko151

This game, and Ark, were never designed for small tribes or solo players. It's why 6 man Ark flopped so hard, and it's why Atlas' skill system is so demanding/harsh for people like that. 

Stop trying to turn this game into Minecraft or Pubg. It is inherently not those games for a reason. 

• Like 2

Just like in real life. If you can't beat it - join. If you want a protection from wipe out pay a tax to the land lord.

• Like 2

Yeah I'm kind of expecting things to end up similar to ARK in this regard.  Hyper-competitive gameplay with most people joining large groups on the official servers, and smaller (also friendlier) groups operating on private servers... although some of these private servers have the potential to get a pretty large population on them.

1 hour ago, wakko151 said:

Its not ark 2.0. You just don't want to learn. Everything that is different is not broken. You just don't feel like learning.

Well said.

People need to stop acting like they are some sort of Prophet of Ark, Heralding the Doom of the World!  "I played Ark, so I know what I'm talking about!"  Yeah, take a look at how the Ark community (for the most part) is.  There's a reason a lot of people steer clear of the public servers... and it's not because of the game.

From what I can tell, Grapeshot is intending to take Atlas in a different direction.  And while I enjoyed Ark and played a lot on private servers, I'm not interested in just another Ark With Boats.  I'd much rather see where this game appears to be going, encouraging teamwork and cooperation, while still bringing a sense of danger and never knowing quite what's ahead around that next island.... Friend or foe?

While there are a lot of well-founded complaints, there are also a lot of complaints that seem to stem from a lack of any degree of understanding on what the game is about or where it's going.  Just a lot of "This is too much like Ark!  But let's make it even more like Ark!  Stupid developers don't know anything!"  And if people are adamant about only playing solo and absolutely refusing to work with others and want the world to know how miserable they are... go play a different game.  A single player game.  Where the entire game is built around them playing solo.  And that's coming from a person who typically plays a lot of solo, but also understands the world doesn't revolve around me.  Enough with the "wah, wah, I'm being forced to play with other people in a MULTIPLAYER game."  Either adapt or move on.

PVP doesn't have to mean "maniacally murder anything and everything you don't recognize!"  It can be present in a more intelligent way as well. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wakko151 said:

so you think the game is going to fail because people are going to group up and cooperate? you mean like real life?

In real life i'm doing just fine having a few close friends. I could actually do well without having any at all. Sure i have a whole country of people behind me but they let me have some private property, doesn't want me to collect fiber for a new ship, and just lets me do whatever i want as long as i pay taxes and don't commit crimes. Also, real life doesn't lag or crash when there are too many players and buildings nearby. In real life i can visit other countries without being immediately shot at by some toxic kid. And in real life i can play videogames to escape from it.

Real life doesn't punish me for belonging to an introverted half of the humanity.

• Like 3

Game won't die, it will flourish on unofficial, where I am now and enjoying playing solo.

1 hour ago, LaiTash said:

Real life doesn't punish me for belonging to an introverted half of the humanity.

You just forgot one simple thing. In RL you belong to some country who is your "Company" that give you protection and let you be.

1 hour ago, Anatas said:

You just forgot one simple thing. In RL you belong to some country who is your "Company" that give you protection and let you be.

I actually mentioned it and i also mentioned how it's different. Grapeshot probably wants companies to work more like countries and less like military camps, but it doesn't work and never will in a game like this.

Edited by LaiTash

I don’t get why people can be this amazed when the devs told us before the launch that this game is primarily for large companies (especially on official) and that playing solo or in small groups would be very difficult. 

I really don't remember them saying that, maybe you could share a link or something. And i actually don't mind "difficult". But right now if a small company loose their land to a mega tribe they only have two options: merge, quit, or happily live on some lawless island sailing on rafts and loosing their stuff every night.

I was in a big company and it was super boring. Now i'm in a smaller one and can finally have fun in this game, but knowing how easily the fun can end while we're not even online (because somehow many of these companies are ran by cowards who can't even zerg rush anyone when there's any actual resistance) makes me really worried.

Edited by LaiTash
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Percieval said:

I don’t get why people can be this amazed when the devs told us before the launch that this game is primarily for large companies (especially on official) and that playing solo or in small groups would be very difficult. 

actulay you can play it solo and run ships and bases solo, its just harder and more time consuming and designed for groups small or large. its just zergs favor large groups.

Just now, Sketch said:

actulay you can play it solo and run ships and bases solo, its just harder and more time consuming and designed for groups small or large. its just zergs favor large groups.

Yes that’s what I’m saying. I don’t get it 

If you want to play on Official PvP and be solo or 2-3 man groups, you go into it knowing it will be hella hard and that the world can wipe you out without even noticing.

The game is still very fun.

And of course, there are unofficial servers that are really excellent and offer a great way to enjoy the game solo or small group.

Or you can of course go PvE.

But saying they need to add systems so solo's are safe from groups? umm, no 

(and Im a solo player on pvp).

54 minutes ago, LaiTash said:

I really don't remember them saying that, maybe you could share a link or something. And i actually don't mind "difficult". But right now if a small company loose their land to a mega tribe they only have two options: merge, quit, or happily live on some lawless island sailing on rafts and loosing their stuff every night.

I was in a big company and it was super boring. Now i'm in a smaller one and can finally have fun in this game, but knowing how easily the fun can end while we're not even online (because somehow many of these companies are ran by cowards who can't even zerg rush anyone when there's any actual resistance) makes me really worried.

It honestly sounds like you need to be on a PvE server, seriously.  There is a lot of fun to be had on PvE and you dont have to worry about large company zergs.

(Once they fix the exploit of sinking ships by weight on PvE of course)

2 minutes ago, archaegeo said:

If you want to play on Official PvP and be solo or 2-3 man groups, you go into it knowing it will be hella hard and that the world can wipe you out without even noticing.

The game is still very fun.

And of course, there are unofficial servers that are really excellent and offer a great way to enjoy the game solo or small group.

Or you can of course go PvE.

But saying they need to add systems so solo's are safe from groups? umm, no 

(and Im a solo player on pvp).

It honestly sounds like you need to be on a PvE server, seriously.  There is a lot of fun to be had on PvE and you dont have to worry about large company zergs.

hard kinda, 3 players can hold back or even defeat zergs and there will be players who can and do that. it dont mean it should be ruled out. There are always lone wolfs and small groups that excell in those kinda enviroments.

They need to do a lot more then just exploit fixing for pve (claiming etc) tbh

I agree that claiming needs a limit, especially on PvE, but they addressed it some by the new allow building on my claim feature.

That being said, one underlying problem they cant fix is people thinking they should be able to claim a spot just because they want it, regardless that someone else wanted it before them 🙂

1 minute ago, archaegeo said:

That being said, one underlying problem they cant fix is people thinking they should be able to claim a spot just because they want it, regardless that someone else wanted it before them 🙂

We shouldn't be able to claim a spot just because we want it, but then the game should give an option to play without land and not loose everything every day because you're human being who needs to sleep and have a job to pay the bills.

You can, ive lived in lawless before, and on pvp, but yeah, its a huge risk without the claim feature.

12 minutes ago, archaegeo said:

I'm not even considering PvE-only mmorpgs or PvE servers as they make no sense for me. But every single mmorpg out there allows even solo players to enjoy the game, even if some content is unaccessible to them. 

@LaiTash please point out to me a single full PvP MMO where the zerg companies do not rule?

Even eve online is rules by mega corporations.

Sure the solo player in Eve can have fun in hi-sec, and stick their necks out in low sec, but you can sorta do that here now, and im sure there will be more massaging of the system in the 2 years to come before release.

There is just one thing I wish - some kind of offline protection for ships. It even may be not invulnerability, but just significant HP boost. Because it's way too easy right now to burn any ship with flame sloop (or dozen of any other easy ways to sink any ship) when you are offline.

And also they should allow us to spawn on any bed in Lawless. 

25 minutes ago, archaegeo said:

I agree that claiming needs a limit, especially on PvE, but they addressed it some by the new allow building on my claim feature.

renting is not a solution as it forces more pvp style concepts in pve and will just fuel players to greif others, it wont help those companies that want there own small space on offical servers, private severs dont have the playerbase to support them either.

10 minutes ago, archaegeo said:

@LaiTash please point out to me a single full PvP MMO where the zerg companies do not rule?

Even eve online is rules by mega corporations.

Sure the solo player in Eve can have fun in hi-sec, and stick their necks out in low sec, but you can sorta do that here now, and im sure there will be more massaging of the system in the 2 years to come before release.

"Rule" and "screw everyone else to the point when they stop playing the game" are two different things. Being able to build on a lawless island (however last time i visited one i was met with a cannonfire and it was occupied by one of the megas because fuck everyone else) doesn't even compare to solo experience eve offers.