FruitBatCat

Why would anyone rent land?

They should add a per person claim limit and if you go over it have to pay for the upkeep of extra claims.

Edited by JackTheWack

I dont get how people are saying they need a whole island? Lawless islands have tons of buildings and the resources still spawn fine. The Devs just have to tweak spawns, so no excuse for being selfish and claiming islands.

We have a company on our island they claimed the entire island and only built on ONE flag.....an ENTIRE ISLAND. Nope reason people want so much land is for TAX...remove Tax remove the greed.

28 minutes ago, Ravenguard said:

I dont get how people are saying they need a whole island? Lawless islands have tons of buildings and the resources still spawn fine. The Devs just have to tweak spawns, so no excuse for being selfish and claiming islands.

We have a company on our island they claimed the entire island and only built on ONE flag.....an ENTIRE ISLAND. Nope reason people want so much land is for TAX...remove Tax remove the greed.

And now ego too, you can name stuff. So there are at the moment two reasons. Greed (tax) and Ego (naming). 
That makes a bit of trend 😉 

1 hour ago, kolonelu said:

2 FLAGS FOR EVERY COMPANY IS MORE THAN ENOUGH! u can go and talk with your nephew, ask players who dont have any flag how nice is the claim system, and ask your nephew why to play a game alone, because lots of players leave the game, one by one 

2 FLAGS FOR EVERY COMPANY for a nice play 

Give the man two claims... Inside some island without access to water would be preferable -.-  maybe he will stop screaming about it? 

Dear @kolonelu two claims are enough for small company in most circumstances. They are not enough for big company and you what exactly are you going to do with two claims in land? FFS with my initial two claims I doubt I could put medium shipyard.

Right now i can't tell you to go and steal any (because of 6h stealing timings and few bugs present right now) but if  devs fix that stuff you should be able to steal something. Especially if those evil 5 persons companies will have to go every several minutes to defend one of their claims when 40 claims they have will scale down stealing timings. 

RE: Why would anyone rent land

I'm ok with renting land.  My matey and I live on the seas, but we occasionally need to come ashore.  We don't have any interest in a permanent settlement or claiming/defending land.  We like to hunt SOD and island hop from region to region.  We will happily shop around for the best tax rates for our short visits ashore.

We're pretty good tenants.  We setup our temporary structures until we've finished what we came for, then we tear it down and clean up before we leave.  Offer us a favorable rate, and we'll be happy to visit.  🙂

Edited by Vhalkyrie

Every time this thread becomes constructive a few come out with name calling and start badgering bigger groups. There are some lager companies that have tried to give our side of the story but you all dont want to hear it. This is why threads like this cant be taken serious. This is a game the devs want big groups and small groups on. go read the captain logs. read into the patch notes. all changes point to needing land for big groups and small groups rent. You have no idea what additions they are gonna bring in to this game. These changes could be game breaking and unfair to other players. We have had a ton of players move in on our land and rent from us. They are loving it. I have also advertised and talked to some who are currently moving 8 servers to come build on our land. We enjoy playing this way. we have a large castle with a town and are setting up ways to get the island involved. 

Again rather then complain cause you feel life is unfair in a video game why not come out and talk to the bigger tribes. Get to know them and play pve. If all you are looking for is to have land keep to yourself and not talk or work with anyone maybe you need to look at an unofficial server. These will allow you u to change the game how you want. Everyone has different play styles.

9 hours ago, Elrood said:

Oh, yes, so much truth. Vocal no life part of community will continue to push for upkeep reduction, but truth be told current system (when tweaked a little more + after bug fixes) should be good. At least in my opinion.

And also please look on the changes they announced - biggest companies will be able to change names... They are encouraging land grabs with this move. 

That was always the goal in the game. Look at the front page. There are maps and leaderboards with the companies with the most claims. The game in encouraging claiming, stealing/contesting. Thriving economy etc. Those things are there to make companies bigger, make alliances bigger. Even in PVE the "I have my little house here and live my small area" thought doesn't work. Thats also why limiting flags per person or company would be completely against the game they wanna build. 

I learned very fast that 60-70% of this game are just politics. If you wanna be somewhat secure, you need either a big company or good allys to have each others backs. It's very hard otherwise. Sure you can be all alone on lawless and be a hermit, but you will be very limited about big parts of the game

1 hour ago, redfisher said:

Every time this thread becomes constructive a few come out with name calling and start badgering bigger groups. There are some lager companies that have tried to give our side of the story but you all dont want to hear it. This is why threads like this cant be taken serious. This is a game the devs want big groups and small groups on. go read the captain logs. read into the patch notes. all changes point to needing land for big groups and small groups rent. You have no idea what additions they are gonna bring in to this game. These changes could be game breaking and unfair to other players. We have had a ton of players move in on our land and rent from us. They are loving it. I have also advertised and talked to some who are currently moving 8 servers to come build on our land. We enjoy playing this way. we have a large castle with a town and are setting up ways to get the island involved. 

Again rather then complain cause you feel life is unfair in a video game why not come out and talk to the bigger tribes. Get to know them and play pve. If all you are looking for is to have land keep to yourself and not talk or work with anyone maybe you need to look at an unofficial server. These will allow you u to change the game how you want. Everyone has different play styles.

People can just steal a flag or build on lawless...  You don't get to tell people how or where they should play, you're not a dev.

If I choose not to talk to people what exactly gives you the right to say I have to or go play unofficial?

I live in lawless because I don't wanna deal with all the claiming bullshit. It works for me and I don't try to dictate how others should play...  only that I have as much a right to play as anybody else that owns the game, official or not.

Edited by MindOfMadness

I feel like the main problem is that this system of land claims is meant to be self-regulating by how active players are, how much land they can hold and protect, how much work they put into getting the land etc. Yet people hope for another external entity giving them land cause they deserve it and taking land from people cause they don't deserve it. That entity being a limit how much land can be owned. 

This is PVE not PVP we cant to anything at all , you sleep and work thats about 16 hr of your day gone and so is your flag and buildings pls tell me how that is PVE... You arev talking about how this game is focused on claiming but thats only in PVP where it really matters . Currently in pve small companies are holding large pieces of land thanks to the 3 day protection , and the bugged flags that need 6 hr for taking over while anyone that walks in the area can stop it. And no its not just the 1 flag owners that need 6 hr ive seen 20 flags in a area owned by one company tried to claim a spot and its  still 6 hr...

as someone who has to work long hours on a moments notice I can not keep land via their system except in the lawless zone as some days I only have 15 -30 minutes to be on. I play with just 1 other person and thought about joining in with a company, but that really just means I always have to fear playing someone elses game or getting booted and still in same position I am right now. I have really loved the game when it works, and am hoping to get a few thousand hours of play out of it but will most likely never be able to play as intended. that is a shame.

1 hour ago, Indywoodtiger said:

as someone who has to work long hours on a moments notice I can not keep land via their system except in the lawless zone as some days I only have 15 -30 minutes to be on. I play with just 1 other person and thought about joining in with a company, but that really just means I always have to fear playing someone elses game or getting booted and still in same position I am right now. I have really loved the game when it works, and am hoping to get a few thousand hours of play out of it but will most likely never be able to play as intended. that is a shame.

Preaching to the choir homie. I don't wanna deal with the big tribe drama... I was in a large company for about 4 hours and about 3 hours in drama started and a couple days later I noticed they weren't even a company anymore. I farmed up a few thousand mats for them the few hours I was in and it was all pointless. I could of farmed that stuff for myself and probably still have something to show for it.

Edited by MindOfMadness

2 hours ago, MindOfMadness said:

People can just steal a flag or build on lawless...  You don't get to tell people how or where they should play, you're not a dev.

If I choose not to talk to people what exactly gives you the right to say I have to or go play unofficial?

I live in lawless because I don't wanna deal with all the claiming bullshit. It works for me and I don't try to dictate how others should play...  only that I have as much a right to play as anybody else that owns the game, official or not.

I did not tell anyone how to play i made a suggestion. reading is a skill.

5 minutes ago, redfisher said:

I did not tell anyone how to play i made a suggestion. reading is a skill.

So when you said " If all you are looking for is to have land keep to yourself and not talk or work with anyone maybe you need to look at an unofficial server " it didn't mean people that don't feel like socializing should go play on a unofficial server?

You're right, reading is a skill.... Maybe you should try harder at reading what you type.

lol all i did was say maybe unofficial is more their style. i dont know if they know about it or not. i did not tell them to go play it......back on track about the claims and pve. I still believe this claim system is ok. not perfect but would not be right in my mind to limit players to x amount of claims or tell the bigger groups how to play just because it does not fit into your style of playing. 

I think smaller tribes should be renting land. I am a solo tribe and for me its a lot easier to go out and pay the tax to get land rather than sail for 20 hours and come up empty.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Vhalkyrie said:

RE: Why would anyone rent land

I'm ok with renting land.  My matey and I live on the seas, but we occasionally need to come ashore.  We don't have any interest in a permanent settlement or claiming/defending land.  We like to hunt SOD and island hop from region to region.  We will happily shop around for the best tax rates for our short visits ashore.

We're pretty good tenants.  We setup our temporary structures until we've finished what we came for, then we tear it down and clean up before we leave.  Offer us a favorable rate, and we'll be happy to visit.  🙂

Why not go to lawless then, there's always space opening up there and no tax at all?

Same to you BMG5229, why not lawless with no tax?

Edited by FruitBatCat

11 hours ago, Luxfere said:

Why not you rent an apartment whats the difference?

The things you buy fir the apartment you keep in this you lose everything and are back to the start you dont go building a 5 star resort on a rwnted field in real life so nit really a difference there yes if the large companie build some small huts and you could just use the place while farming mats and hopping to a new place when done id see this tax system work but in the current form its pure garbage like the claim system.

6 hours ago, FruitBatCat said:

Why not go to lawless then, there's always space opening up there and no tax at all?

Same to you BMG5229, why not lawless with no tax?

Seems you havnt been in a lawless for a while people have spammed it full of pillars so others cant build... 

2 hours ago, JackTheWack said:

Seems you havnt been in a lawless for a while people have spammed it full of pillars so others cant build... 

I've been in lawless the whole time, there's plenty of space if ppl look. Some islands are pillared yes, but many aren't, I have new neighbours today who took over a space abandoned with enough room to build a galleon, they've already got their shipyard up and have started trading with others already there. There's quite a high turnover with the 4 day demo timer, I think it's working pretty well considering the alternatives.

Edited by FruitBatCat

We do stop in lawless.  However, lawless is indeed a clustered mess.  The 4 day demo timer is only if the owner hasn't visited recently.  There is some turnover if you can catch it right, but the zones we've seen are really permanent structures with a 4 day timer.  They are getting sprawling and larger as well.  It does work pretty well if we can find abandoned open benches so we can craft our resupplies.  If the only available slots on lawless are deep inland, that isn't worth our time to haul goods to our ship.

So if lawless is available, we'll do that.  We're also open to minimal short term renting land if that suits our needs (minimal and reasonable being operative - we will never discuss with robber barrons).  Our objective is to keep sailing, so we'll use the means available to do that depending on the circumstances and need. 

Edited by Vhalkyrie

You can set a single claim flag to allow for building. If you organize your flags in such a way that they don't have much water access and aren't near rare material nodes, there's little someone can do to grief  on their one plot of land. Plus, if someone griefs, you kick them off your land and wait a few days to demolish all their stuff. As a landlord, you normally get a background check on people before they move in to your property. You want to know who they are. This system makes sense. You let anyone roll up and start building, you're going to have a bad time. Vet them socially. Sail with them for a few. Have them help you get a tame. Something to get a feel for who they are. Then give them a lot. You get tax revenue and they get a base. It's a win-win system.

Those of you who think other people owning land which you have to rent or buy from them is a "garbage system", just wait until you want your own home in real life. "But they got here first and spend more time on this than I do! Why don't I get my land for free?" Let me know how that works out for you in the real world. Yeah, this is a game, but the system isn't a foreign one... Other people own it, and either want to sell or they don't. You just have to deal with it.

Edited by Recloud
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Recloud said:

You can set a single claim flag to allow for building. If you organize your flags in such a way that they don't have much water access and aren't near rare material nodes, there's little someone can do to grief  on their one plot of land. Plus, if someone griefs, you kick them off your land and wait a few days to demolish all their stuff. As a landlord, you normally get a background check on people before they move in to your property. You want to know who they are. This system makes sense. You let anyone roll up and start building, you're going to have a bad time. Vet them socially. Sail with them for a few. Have them help you get a tame. Something to get a feel for who they are. Then give them a lot. You get tax revenue and they get a base. It's a win-win system.

Those of you who think other people owning land which you have to rent or buy from them is a "garbage system", just wait until you want your own home in real life. "But they got here first and spend more time on this than I do! Why don't I get my land for free?" Let me know how that works out for you in the real world. Yeah, this is a game, but the system isn't a foreign one... Other people own it, and either want to sell or they don't. You just have to deal with it.

Have them help you get a tame?...  Sail with them?...

Nobody is your slave and if you try to control people it will be you that has the bad time.

There is claimable land in NA PVE for sure. Stop thinking youre gonna sail for an hour and find something. I sailed around to many islands and found 4 different spots that I was able to claim (from south central to north east.

Once you find one, build a safehouse and sleep in it so no one can take your land. Land is out there for those adventurous types that are willing to look. I actually have a small base on a lawless isle with a shipyard two servers south of me that I frequent as well. It is there, just go find it!

I won't rent . Nope not gonna happen...so what my crew have done is make a list of mtls we can find in lawless and Freeports. We will not farm any land that has tax over 10%. If there is an emergency we will grab the min amount we need. nor grab treasure from them. Pretty much last place we will ever farm is claimed land even 10% we will pass by most times after we grab the land marks. We get our gold from lawless also. Almost daily we see a trader from other grids. So we trade stuff we get from lawless which helps. Always ways around this.

Don't support greed and if you ever see land owned by us you will see no tax. Farm away my friends and sail safe.