FruitBatCat

Why would anyone rent land?

24 minutes ago, redfisher said:

I agree but there is a wall you will hit. As far as how i know it called reading. have you read the bev notes. looked at any info from before the game was released. They are not going to stop what they are doing just to let players know info that is out there. As people have said in this thread many like the game and enjoy how the claim system is. If you want to play solo that is your choice but dont break the game for those bigger groups and majority of players in game who are happy with the current system. I can say my tribe would probably quite the game if they limit claims and stop us from progressing and being competitive. 

Called it!

20 hours ago, MindOfMadness said:

My vote is they would rage quit.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MindOfMadness said:

Have you not noticed the countless threads about griefing?

It's a nice thought, but just like the real world, Atlas is also full of assholes.

Thats adressed in the next sentence you didnt highlight 🙂 . I am also trying to be nice to assholes too in game and in real life. Sometimes its very interesting to see their reaction. 🙂

I guess that has alot to do with my work experience working with many different people in customer service.

Edited by Loni

27 minutes ago, Loni said:

Thats adressed in the next sentence you didnt highlight 🙂 . I am also trying to be nice to assholes too in game and in real life. Sometimes its very interesting to see their reaction. 🙂

I guess that has alot to do with my work experience working with many different people in customer service.

I read the next line but it didn't seem accurate with the amount of people sinking ships. It's happening every night to a lot of people.

2 hours ago, redfisher said:

Loni,

How as a solo player are you gonna do boss fights and power stones? How are you gonna get beyond the 54 level cap? You need a team. 

You don't need a big company to have a team.  You don't even need a company at all, really.

2 hours ago, MindOfMadness said:

Have you not noticed the countless threads about griefing?

It's a nice thought, but just like the real world, Atlas is also full of assholes.

Assume one jerk for every few hundreds people and with so many of us playing right now they are more visible than usually. 

18 hours ago, Sighdawg said:

Some greedy kid? I understand your frustration, but a lot of us coordinated and persisted through rough waters ( network issues ). I agree it was an immensly flawed start, but I’m happy they didnt auction off land prior to release. I cant think of how else they could have gone about the start. 

As far as taxes go. I can attest there were virtually no point in having it prior to the rentable land patch. Since that patch however weve gotten about a brigs worth of mats. Its been great. So i think giving the option to have non-company members settle lands is great. Even with the possiblity of trolls building pillars on our lands. 

Some people, me included couldn’t log on for a week. Lol. I stand by my statements. 

Well short answer this pvp claim system dosnt work for pve specially with allthese bugs. 2 claims per person would be fine , and if you whine large companies will dominate then yes , do you even have anything between your ears its simple logic large companies will dominate no matter the state of this game . But limiting the flags will balance out the smaller companies that stole all the land they could. Heck 1st claim i had soon after the game was released got stolen in just 6 hr of sleep thanks to not having a protection system by a 2 man company that spammed flags all over the island. 2nd one i stole from a 3 man company that had taken over the whole 3 islands on a grid and it took the guys 1 hr to drive there with a raft was  the only reason i got 2 spots. And after that they released the 3 day protection , refreshed my flags next day my shipyard taken over by overlap. 6 days later got back in the game with another 2 man company taking over my and the allies land on the island. And i only had 1 claim flag left. They sunk my ships and just left someone sleeping on a ship camping the flag so each time i went out of the area to farm my flag would go down. So i demolished and popcorned all the stuff i had . And took a almost week long break. Now been playing again for 4 days sailing around all over the place. On pve most populated place is the lawless with avg of 80 players , then near the freeports its only a avg of 30 players per grid. More dangerous places like desert and tundra is about avg 10 players , full ice area tundra was only avg of 2 players and even then 60% of the land was claimed . Oh and if you asking about claims on other lands its 95% with only small caps that you cant claim. And if you think 2 flags per person aint enough go join a larger company... You dont need all that land and the excuses of protecting resources is " braindead" , sure if you want to make sure something dosnt get built on go place 1 of your flags there we dont need to "protect" sand or every f piece of fiber on the land....

On 1/13/2019 at 5:50 PM, Sighdawg said:

It’s an MMO people. The point is to mingle with other players in the game. So TALK to your landlord. Make friends. That’s the whole point!!!! Or don’t. Complain about a fantastic game that you feel is slighting you because someone else has put in time and effort into creating something wonderful with their group of friends. 

Accept the people that own land didnt get it fair and square. 90 of people couldnt leave port for Days after launch. You wipe it get all out fairly then Id agree.

25 minutes ago, Malfunktion said:

Accept the people that own land didnt get it fair and square. 90 of people couldnt leave port for Days after launch. You wipe it get all out fairly then Id agree.

Except we did get it fair. We didnt show up to an empty island, dude. We took it from those who either have moved on or stopped playing. Those who didnt either decided to join up with us or trade us for the lands they had. 

I 100% agree we need changes to the land claim system, but all of you need to stop acting like a victim. That's so 2018.

2 hours ago, Sighdawg said:

100% agree we need changes to the land claim system, but all of you need to stop acting like a victim. That's so 2018.

Says the guy that likes to brag about being one of the top 10 land owners. You may have camped claims to get all yousr, that may be you companies thing. But there are those of us who would like to do other things but still have the safety of a tiny little base to return to and not some land Baron on a power Trip to answer for. I do say power Trip because I've read, been quoted and replied to plenty of your post and this is what I see. The problem continues to be in this discussion, people like you. Complete lack of vision and unwilling to even remotely look at it from the other side of the fence. You happen to enjoy this style so everyone should just STFU because you got a good thing going. When the reality is, we don't care how much land you grab up, the system should allow one permanent claim so those of us who would like to do, I dunno, do other piraty things don't have to worry about people like you. The land claim system is a PVP system for guys that don't want to have to put up a real fight to stake their claim on the dynamic map. But we believe, us lowly surfs, that there is room for both styles of gameplay. Just because you don't agree, or like our lobbying for an altered system, does not mean you need to troll the forums trying to shove your fan boy attitude down our throats. So go be a good boy and go camp some hapless family man's claim cause his kid is sick and he has to been unable to play

3 hours ago, Malfunktion said:

A wipe will only make things worse. Right now what's out there is about as fair as it's ever going to get. After a wipe what's likely to happen is the Freeports will be a lagfest again and lots of people won't be able to get in due to the 150 player limit, and the largest companies will just sink any rafts/sloops that get built in a Freeport while their buddies go around claiming every possible inch of land and pillar/foundation spamming lawless areas forcing anyone else who wants to play to rent land from a handful of companies. Or worse, because there are already people selling claims for RL cash so maybe the botters will make an appearance. There won't be any such thing as getting everyone out fairly.

At least the way things are now there are plenty of dead claims out there to contest, and lawless regions offer something for those who can't be bothered.

Edited by Kidori

2 hours ago, Huck Finnley said:

Says the guy that likes to brag about being one of the top 10 land owners. You may have camped claims to get all yousr, that may be you companies thing. But there are those of us who would like to do other things but still have the safety of a tiny little base to return to and not some land Baron on a power Trip to answer for. I do say power Trip because I've read, been quoted and replied to plenty of your post and this is what I see. The problem continues to be in this discussion, people like you. Complete lack of vision and unwilling to even remotely look at it from the other side of the fence. You happen to enjoy this style so everyone should just STFU because you got a good thing going. When the reality is, we don't care how much land you grab up, the system should allow one permanent claim so those of us who would like to do, I dunno, do other piraty things don't have to worry about people like you. The land claim system is a PVP system for guys that don't want to have to put up a real fight to stake their claim on the dynamic map. But we believe, us lowly surfs, that there is room for both styles of gameplay. Just because you don't agree, or like our lobbying for an altered system, does not mean you need to troll the forums trying to shove your fan boy attitude down our throats. So go be a good boy and go camp some hapless family man's claim cause his kid is sick and he has to been unable to play

Dude, you're out of your mind and salty as all get out. I'm not on any power trip nor am I bragging. I'm simply stating that we have worked very hard and I am actually quite taken back that we've made it this far. We're quite a humble group of people.  I'm not belittling anyone and I am open for a productive conversation and not into people trashing a game because they do not like its current state. I am simply playing the game as its currently meant to be played. 

Personally, I agree that the companies should be limited to a certain number of flags based on how many people are in the company. And those people should have to drop their own flags in order for it to count. That way there's not one person doing all the work and it takes more coordination as a group to get things done. I say this, because I have done essentially 0 camping for flags myself. It's been my friend who's been quite successful with land claims.

For the record as well, our lands are free to settle on. We're nice people, I am very reachable on this website, on discord, and in game nearly daily. There are plenty of "land Barons on a power trip" out there that are looking to help people grow in the game. This is PvE, it'd be great to team up with people to take down things like the kraken and other beasties.

Edited by Sighdawg

1 hour ago, Sighdawg said:

Dude, you're out of your mind and salty as all get out. I'm not on any power trip nor am I bragging. I'm simply stating that we have worked very hard and I am actually quite taken back that we've made it this far. We're quite a humble group of people.  I'm not belittling anyone and I am open for a productive conversation and not into people trashing a game because they do not like its current state. I am simply playing the game as its currently meant to be played. 

Personally, I agree that the companies should be limited to a certain number of flags based on how many people are in the company. And those people should have to drop their own flags in order for it to count. That way there's not one person doing all the work and it takes more coordination as a group to get things done. I say this, because I have done essentially 0 camping for flags myself. It's been my friend who's been quite successful with land claims.

For the record as well, our lands are free to settle on. We're nice people, I am very reachable on this website, on discord, and in game nearly daily. There are plenty of "land Barons on a power trip" out there that are looking to help people grow in the game. This is PvE, it'd be great to team up with people to take down things like the kraken and other beasties.

problem is that wont happen yet till they fix claims and boat sinking/blocking issuses, because eveyone is affraid that when they meet other players there:

1. gonna try to steal their land.

2. gonna sink their boat.

3. gonna block their boat in.

4. newcomers and latcomers stuck in lawless till claims are sorted

till they fix these issues the whole join up and do stuff wont happen on pve. *whats funny is it happens on pvp through alliances.

2 minutes ago, Sketch said:

problem is that wont happen yet till they fix claims and boat sinking/blocking issuses, because eveyone is affraid that when they meet other players there:

1. gonna try to steal their land.

2. gonna sink their boat.

3. gonna block their boat in.

4. newcomers and latcomers stuck in lawless till claims are sorted

till they fix these issues the whole join up and do stuff wont happen on pve. *whats funny is it happens on pvp through alliances.

The devs will never be able to do anything about shitty people being shitty people, and this being a pirate themed game griefing will always have an excuse. I'm not advocating it or saying its ok just saying its gonna happen. 

I think they shouldn't even have PvE or PvP server to be honest. I think there should be PvE zones and PvP zones. I think they should charge gold after everyones first initial land claim as well has having rentable plots of land in freeports. 

24 minutes ago, Sighdawg said:

The devs will never be able to do anything about shitty people being shitty people, and this being a pirate themed game griefing will always have an excuse. I'm not advocating it or saying its ok just saying its gonna happen. 

I think they shouldn't even have PvE or PvP server to be honest. I think there should be PvE zones and PvP zones. I think they should charge gold after everyones first initial land claim as well has having rentable plots of land in freeports. 

PVE/P mixed server grids would also bring some issues that would need to be adressed. For example how would bases work? Or how would the server hold if two big companies decided to fight over a special server grid with rare stuff on it. Would make zerging even a bigger issue sadly where big alliances could lock down rare resources on the special grids... 😕 

17 minutes ago, Loni said:

PVE/P mixed server grids would also bring some issues that would need to be adressed. For example how would bases work? Or how would the server hold if two big companies decided to fight over a special server grid with rare stuff on it. Would make zerging even a bigger issue sadly where big alliances could lock down rare resources on the special grids... 😕 

I think rentable non pvp enabled plots would be one of the only way to solve that issue. There would have to be something unappealing with said plots or it would defeat the purpose of claimable lands beyond those shores. 

Maybe enable a bounty system to discourage rampant griefing

On second thought I think pvp enabled zones could have perhaps more resources available while having the same resources available in non pvp zones but in lesser quantities could help alleviate a zerg problem. There's gotta be a reason to risk it for the biscuit. 

Edited by Sighdawg

3 minutes ago, Sighdawg said:

I think rentable non pvp enabled plots would be one of the only way to solve that issue. There would have to be something unappealing with said plots or it would defeat the purpose of claimable lands beyond those shores. 

Maybe enable a bounty system to discourage rampant griefing. 

I can see that as a workaround when it comes to the land claims, but the "zerging" of the special grids still stands. Not necessarily in terms of alliance handholding dominance, but more regarding server stability and literally locking down the grind by constantly having 150 people on it.

2 minutes ago, Loni said:

I can see that as a workaround when it comes to the land claims, but the "zerging" of the special grids still stands. Not necessarily in terms of alliance handholding dominance, but more regarding server stability and literally locking down the grind by constantly having 150 people on it.

yeah, sorry I have no suggestion for locking down a grid with 150 people.. I've heard that was an issue with EVE online as well? I've never played myself. 

15 minutes ago, Loni said:

Well, with info about "naming islands".... Claiming will get even more prevalent. From what it seems, they are going to encourage claims unification. 

6 hours ago, Malfunktion said:

We started day 2. Had some troubles at first, but established a little spot on lawless, build a shipyard and made a sloop. As soon as that was done we sailed about 4-5 RL hours to find land. It wasnt too hard. We stranded on an island that wasnt taken. The only people who had claimed a spot said, they are going to leave anyway cause they didn't wanna bother with predators. We asked if we can claim it, and they said "well go ahead. good luck here" 

Then one crewmember had the same on another island. People left for a new place, have him their old land. We widened it by inactive claims over time, established a public farming spot with pure metal notes, wood and stone (since the island itself was kinda empty due to building, and overfarming). 

People have been trying to steal land from me since then. It's okay, its part of the game. I gave up all additional flags to people that wanted to settle. Unfortunately, they didn't play regularly so all those claims got stolen by one big company that mass claimed most of the island and doesn't do anything with the flags. I was able to capture 3 flags back (they where only two and didn't have enough sleepers) and instead of giving them away I rent the land out now, cause we are active enough to upkeep the flags and we don't want a big empty island with an inactive mega company but I want the land to be used by people that wanna settle down. 

We don't tax the land and we don't plan to. 

But still. People see neutral flags and instead of take it as it is, they want me to unclaim for them, even tho it wouldn't work due to overlapping abuse by that big company. 

If Devs would wipe. Things wouldn't be different. People would just be faster to claim whole islands because they now understand that having claims is having power. Even on PVE. I understand now everyone uses their land like this. If I had more land I would rent out all of it for free, to make sure a few people could get out of the terrible lawless zones. 

But tl:dr You could get out of freeports by not spawning there. As soon as they opened the lawless, it was pretty much fixed for early game. Sure you needed a shipyard in order to leave lawless but with a bit of farming, grinding and work that wasnt much of a problem. 

6 minutes ago, TiiaAurora said:

We started day 2. Had some troubles at first, but established a little spot on lawless, build a shipyard and made a sloop. As soon as that was done we sailed about 4-5 RL hours to find land. It wasnt too hard. We stranded on an island that wasnt taken. The only people who had claimed a spot said, they are going to leave anyway cause they didn't wanna bother with predators. We asked if we can claim it, and they said "well go ahead. good luck here" 

Then one crewmember had the same on another island. People left for a new place, have him their old land. We widened it by inactive claims over time, established a public farming spot with pure metal notes, wood and stone (since the island itself was kinda empty due to building, and overfarming). 

People have been trying to steal land from me since then. It's okay, its part of the game. I gave up all additional flags to people that wanted to settle. Unfortunately, they didn't play regularly so all those claims got stolen by one big company that mass claimed most of the island and doesn't do anything with the flags. I was able to capture 3 flags back (they where only two and didn't have enough sleepers) and instead of giving them away I rent the land out now, cause we are active enough to upkeep the flags and we don't want a big empty island with an inactive mega company but I want the land to be used by people that wanna settle down. 

We don't tax the land and we don't plan to. 

But still. People see neutral flags and instead of take it as it is, they want me to unclaim for them, even tho it wouldn't work due to overlapping abuse by that big company. 

If Devs would wipe. Things wouldn't be different. People would just be faster to claim whole islands because they now understand that having claims is having power. Even on PVE. I understand now everyone uses their land like this. If I had more land I would rent out all of it for free, to make sure a few people could get out of the terrible lawless zones. 

But tl:dr You could get out of freeports by not spawning there. As soon as they opened the lawless, it was pretty much fixed for early game. Sure you needed a shipyard in order to leave lawless but with a bit of farming, grinding and work that wasnt much of a problem. 

Well, in case of wipe, first, it would be rush to best spots, a day or two of total mad house than we would end up even worse,cause megatribes would claim way more cause of manpower.

With everything else i totally agree.
Devs need to fix stealing time issues, but all things consider if people would change attitude from "i want empty land" to I need to find a claim to steal - a lot of things would solve out.

Unfortunately imho people can't get around stealing claims. It's like not PvE or something? You need to take something from other players? Well, doesn't really matter for me what exactly is wrong, its obvious there is some dissonance between how players think they should get the claim vs how they really can get it. And imbalance (common, 6 hours claim?!) and bugs are not helping.

I am pretty sure at this point that the general 6h claim is a bug since the claim flags are not calculated properly. With the 6h I personally don't bother trying to contest land. 

I think companies should still be able to have unlimited flags. Limiting them to company size would favor the larger companies and people would rather join them instead of playing solo. Islands would be cluttered and would not have resources left. We had this issue on our island before we free'd some of the resources due to claiming inactive companies and removing structures. 

The amount of maintaining you have to do as a small company to protect your land is already limiting enough. Especially when you have a life outside the game. 

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but not everyone lives in the game. People go on vacation, people need to work, people have families. even with the 3 day upkeep timer you need to find people helping you to protect your land if you can't login for 3 days. 

22 hours ago, Elrood said:

I understand you have big company (lets assume 100 man) and it works for you with 2 claims? Or now many which are able to have "nice play" with only 2 claims?

1 Sea claims is enough for small company  (2-5 people) - that i can confirm with qualification that overlapping bug has to be fixed, otherwise its not enough.

2 Sea claims is actually best cause you can ensure that resources you use are present (on small island its important).

I'm really tired of those "Lets exaggerate as much as I can get away with so they see there is a problem". Its like talking with my 6 years old nephew.

2 FLAGS FOR EVERY COMPANY IS MORE THAN ENOUGH! u can go and talk with your nephew, ask players who dont have any flag how nice is the claim system, and ask your nephew why to play a game alone, because lots of players leave the game, one by one 

2 FLAGS FOR EVERY COMPANY for a nice play 

33 minutes ago, TiiaAurora said:

I am pretty sure at this point that the general 6h claim is a bug since the claim flags are not calculated properly. With the 6h I personally don't bother trying to contest land. 

I think companies should still be able to have unlimited flags. Limiting them to company size would favor the larger companies and people would rather join them instead of playing solo. Islands would be cluttered and would not have resources left. We had this issue on our island before we free'd some of the resources due to claiming inactive companies and removing structures. 

The amount of maintaining you have to do as a small company to protect your land is already limiting enough. Especially when you have a life outside the game. 

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but not everyone lives in the game. People go on vacation, people need to work, people have families. even with the 3 day upkeep timer you need to find people helping you to protect your land if you can't login for 3 days. 

Oh, yes, so much truth. Vocal no life part of community will continue to push for upkeep reduction, but truth be told current system (when tweaked a little more + after bug fixes) should be good. At least in my opinion.

And also please look on the changes they announced - biggest companies will be able to change names... They are encouraging land grabs with this move. 

@Elroodyes biggest companies but that dosnt apply to the pve atm moslt you have small companies of 3-5 people dominating whole servers cause they got there 1st and refresh flags to keep the 3 day protection up.