FruitBatCat

Why would anyone rent land?

19 minutes ago, Huck Finnley said:

Look at it from another side, what is the point of designing a 40,000 man server system, and paying for those resources, if you have a system in place that allows 4,000 people to take over the server, and maybe a couple thousand more willing to play with those folks, just to have to open another server, spend money on more resources, just to attract more cusromers. Doesn't seem like an efficient business model

the prob is they dont even have 40k on each region tbh its probs less then 20k and its only going to get smaller and smaller in time

2 minutes ago, Sketch said:

the prob is they dont even have 40k on each region tbh its probs less then 20k and its only going to get smaller and smaller in time

I was being optimistic lol. The fanboys of the current system don't seem to understand how the system screw them in the end. Less revenue equels less content over time. This is supposed to be more then a land grab game. But with this system, that will always be it's primary focus. Odd for a game with such small land mass

5 minutes ago, Huck Finnley said:

I was being optimistic lol. The fanboys of the current system don't seem to understand how the system screw them in the end. Less revenue equels less content over time. This is supposed to be more then a land grab game. But with this system, that will always be it's primary focus. Odd for a game with such small land mass

tbh its not even the direction or *poster vision they had for the game. besides pvp i can assume they wanted peeps in pve to build towns etc. but how can you do that when  your too affraid of your claim being stolen or etc.

Nobody wants to.  They tried to nerf Lawless to FORCE people to do it, and realized that pretty much everybody would quit. Look at the player counts between lawless and Claim-land and it's pretty clear that the claim system is totally broken.

• Thanks 1

I'm curiouse how the ppl that are defending the island claimers would feel if they were without the land they got at the start? Would u feel the same way if u had to start over ? Or would u quit the game if u lost all ur land and had to restart?

• Like 1

Just now, xRDx said:

I'm curiouse how the ppl that are defending the island claimers would feel if they were without the land they got at the start? Would u feel the same way if u had to start over ? Or would u quit the game if u lost all ur land and had to restart?

My vote is they would rage quit.

• Like 1

How can you even 'rent' land? They are zero trade system in the game, is it just agreement based on fair play? In a pvp ffa game?. I mean if i join the company that "rent" me the land don't they have access to all my belonging, even own my boats if i ever leave? How does it even work? I really don't have a clue just asking, as the op i always been in lawless.

59 minutes ago, xRDx said:

Exactly. See comments where they say "i think the system is fine, i own half an island and am gonna let people build on it" they dont even understand the issue.

If one worries about resources and ur in power then u control were ppl build easy as that...u wana live here DO NOT build in this area as it is used by everyone on this island to farm metal, wood or whatever....if ppl are getting to big and expanding into farmland ask them to remove stuff or remove it by force...if ur a nice island owner/ alliance then new ppl will respect ur wishes or be killed by the alpha company or alpha alliance.

I personally quit ark due to alphas like this(we joined them) and got board of the game because there was no threat... we killed everyone and it killed the game for me and my friends. Everyone wants "PvP" but no one is willing to let other grow to give them REAL PvP. Killing noobs with the biggest boat IS NOT PVP, that's pure griefing/bulling IMO.

U want PvP, let pol build and challange them with similar offence/defense. When we started in ark on a new map we outgeard some noobs and wanted some PvP action but instead of jumping on dinos and eating the naked bobs,  we got naked and grabbed some clubs and spears and invaded...  was such a blast, we didnt kill passive dinos and once done we told them thank you for the fun and moved on. They were grateful we didnt wipe them and admitted they had fun aswell........ 

But this real PvP doesnt exist much any more sadly

2 minutes ago, xRDx said:

If one worries about resources and ur in power then u control were ppl build easy as that...u wana live here DO NOT build in this area as it is used by everyone on this island to farm metal, wood or whatever....if ppl are getting to big and expanding into farmland ask them to remove stuff or remove it by force...if ur a nice island owner/ alliance then new ppl will respect ur wishes or be killed by the alpha company or alpha alliance.

I personally quit ark due to alphas like this(we joined them) and got board of the game because there was no threat... we killed everyone and it killed the game for me and my friends. Everyone wants "PvP" but no one is willing to let other grow to give them REAL PvP. Killing noobs with the biggest boat IS NOT PVP, that's pure griefing/bulling IMO.

U want PvP, let pol build and challange them with similar offence/defense. When we started in ark on a new map we outgeard some noobs and wanted some PvP action but instead of jumping on dinos and eating the naked bobs,  we got naked and grabbed some clubs and spears and invaded...  was such a blast, we didnt kill passive dinos and once done we told them thank you for the fun and moved on. They were grateful we didnt wipe them and admitted they had fun aswell........ 

But this real PvP doesnt exist much any more sadly

There's never going to be real PvP or epic ship battles as long as you can offline raid people.

I personally think it would be cool if your house was the only safe place and you had to venture out into PvP zones to harvest materials and make it back so all PvP was ship battles. Park your ship in your port for the night and you're safe but next time you wanted to build or tame something it was back out into the wilds where you can lose your boat and everything you farmed but always had your house to go back to without fear of losing everything while at work, school, or sleeping.

I proposed on another thread that they do more to make living on your ship more viable. Increase weights, maybe have a drydock system where you can "store" ships. It's a pirate game after, life on the open see. Or warehouse space on freeports for those of us that are not big into the building and farming aspect. I can go do that in ark. But for PVE they have to give us some npc ships to actually play the pirating trade.

And if they want to continue to have a major focus on a land Baron MMO, they should update the dynamic map to more reflect a landowners ability to manage his land dwellers. If it is all about the bragging rights, it might encourage landowners to do more for his population then just tax them and give them permission to live there. You build a serf a house, he may actually want to live there and pay your tax, then you can control where he builds. Maybe some protection against the wilds.For those that just need a place to store thier shit and build some boats, this could offer a solution. But we need incentives for landowners to rent and renters to pay tax 

3 hours ago, Huck Finnley said:

Society as a whole is greedy and selfish. It's up to the devs to make it balanced. And right now the ones who like the system on PVE are the land holders, the ones that don't are living in lawless. That simple

I disagree, its up to the devs to make it realistic and make sure mechanics arent exploitable. Which im sure is exactly what you mean. 

3 hours ago, Huck Finnley said:

I'm afraid on PVE I'd have to disagree, once 2 or 3 mega tribes control the whole server, that's who will be fighting over the land. Anyone new or small will be forced to play by thier rules or just don't play. There has to be a system of checks and balances to give more folks a more equal shot to thier own success in game. Every SUCCESSFUL MMO understands that each paying customer has to be afforded the same opportunities and let them decide how to play. This system sets it up to a few megas to make those decisions for other players. And IMO reduces the successful growth of revenue. Which in turn takes away from you the player

I dont think mega tribes will take over dude. At least not on the PvE server. My company has about 15 active players. 2-3 of us (mainly one person) have been focused on lands. We are currently in the top 10 companies for Hydra’s Den. So there is hope. It just takes coordination and work. 

2 hours ago, xRDx said:

2 hours ago, MindOfMadness said:

My vote is they would rage quit.

To both of you: i would be fine with it and would attempt to steal land. If you are not willing to enjoy the core mechanic of the game why are you playing it. The number one thing to the game is to own land. This does not come easy. It takers time. As i am typing this i am 2 hours into a 5 flag cap. if it was easy and everyone had land i would venture to say many players would quite as there would be no competition in the game.  The world is hard. The game for that matter is supposed to be harsh. This is underdeveloped land and we are explores/pirates. Just like the time period the game is based off of you have to fight and scheme to get what you want. 

5 minutes ago, redfisher said:

To both of you: i would be fine with it and would attempt to steal land. If you are not willing to enjoy the core mechanic of the game why are you playing it. The number one thing to the game is to own land. This does not come easy. It takers time. As i am typing this i am 2 hours into a 5 flag cap. if it was easy and everyone had land i would venture to say many players would quite as there would be no competition in the game.  The world is hard. The game for that matter is supposed to be harsh. This is underdeveloped land and we are explores/pirates. Just like the time period the game is based off of you have to fight and scheme to get what you want. 

I live in the lawless region so those mechanics have little effect on my playing...  But to your question of "why do I play?"  Because I like sailing around exploring the world. It's labeled as a pirate MMO with emphasis on survival at sea, not a real estate MMO focused on land grabs.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, redfisher said:

Ok, now u have tried to steal new land....and u have failed because all u can build is a cheap schooner from freeport...what u gona do next? I'm asking cuz I'd love to know how to get a foothold in this game

1 hour ago, Huck Finnley said:

I proposed on another thread that they do more to make living on your ship more viable. Increase weights, maybe have a drydock system where you can "store" ships. It's a pirate game after, life on the open see. Or warehouse space on freeports for those of us that are not big into the building and farming aspect. I can go do that in ark. But for PVE they have to give us some npc ships to actually play the pirating trade.

And if they want to continue to have a major focus on a land Baron MMO, they should update the dynamic map to more reflect a landowners ability to manage his land dwellers. If it is all about the bragging rights, it might encourage landowners to do more for his population then just tax them and give them permission to live there. You build a serf a house, he may actually want to live there and pay your tax, then you can control where he builds. Maybe some protection against the wilds.For those that just need a place to store thier shit and build some boats, this could offer a solution. But we need incentives for landowners to rent and renters to pay tax 

tbh thats not a bad idea with the baron, he can tax the people of a said region but cant boot peeps out thats much better idea then a claim system where the owner can troll you and take your stuff.

other stuff could be tied into it for pve

32 minutes ago, xRDx said:

Ok, now u have tried to steal new land....and u have failed because all u can build is a cheap schooner from freeport...what u gona do next? I'm asking cuz I'd love to know how to get a foothold in this game

prob is peeps can sink your boat if they notice you afk on an island. so its not gonna do much

Nope, I don’t agree with it one bit.. in PVE it’s literally pointless and there is no need for it. 

So some greedy kid, managed to sail out of Freeport the day of release and claimed a whole island, this is not only selfish but the player didn’t earn it either. 

Why should we have to pay tax on something someone else got for free? If you look, check the amounts of materials you get with 0% land tax compared to 30%. 

Its ridiculous.. you get like 14 fibre a plant with 30% tax.. would take days to build yourself up while they benefit for something they’ve not paid for in the first place. 

The land system needs to go, or be limited in PVE and a server wipe needs to happen. 

• Like 1

Pve should just be lawless rules everywhere with ability to travel to beds.  Dont touch it in 4 days, people can destroy it.

29 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Yep, once u have lost everything u are gona hate the game after a few days...if u own a good bit of land and ur defending the game mechanics right now I challenge you to leave ur tribe with an agreance to be let back in and try to start over for 2 days... with no help from ur now x tribe.... I say 2 days because I bet after that or before,  ull be asking to be invited back into that tribe

Edited by xRDx

1 hour ago, Sighdawg said:

I disagree, its up to the devs to make it realistic and make sure mechanics arent exploitable. Which im sure is exactly what you mean. 

I dont think mega tribes will take over dude. At least not on the PvE server. My company has about 15 active players. 2-3 of us (mainly one person) have been focused on lands. We are currently in the top 10 companies for Hydra’s Den. So there is hope. It just takes coordination and work. 

Don't misunderstand here, I have no interest in owning an island, or even part of one. What I'm saying is the core of the mechanics forces us into owning or settling some kind of land. If pirating is supposed to be the focal point of the game, why does land ownership have to take up so much of your time in the game. Again, differing of opinions, you may be happy with a pirate themed ark, I paid for a game that was advertised as a pirate MMO, that forces me to spend way to much time on dealing with and issues. You lobby your $25 and I'll be happy to lobby mine. And right now, I'm with a vast customer base that feels at this point it's way too land focused and not enough pirating. I'm happy basing off my ship, just give me more ability to do so. And I have introduced ays in this discussion

6 hours ago, redfisher said:

I can tell you no one who has land was just given it. I cant tell you the amount of nights defending our land or fighting with others to steal land. Countless hours have gone in to the land most big tribes have. They have even made it easier to steal the land from the big tribes now. We are finding more and more land we can take now. 

I beg to differ plenty of other people where just given land in the first couple of days, all they had to do was sail thier raft out to the open Sea and start dropping flags, no land was claimed at release, all first come first serve. There are plenty of people who wish they had your problem. Gosh, stop working on my base or building my ship to stop a claim theft. There are literally thousands of people who have to go out, find land that's stealable, and cross thier fingers. Which oftens envoles days of scouring grids, and early on on rafts that could only sail with the wind. And when most of those people gave up and tried the lawless route, little of that in hospitable locations was actually left. So for some, a hundred hours in the game, are just getting a chance to actually start playing the game.

And yes now plots are easier to claim, for 2 reasons, the devs realized the problem and slapped the current band-aid on the problem, and alot of people got discusted with the current state of the game and gave up already. That isn't a result of a fair and balanced working game mechanics.

Now, imagine your tiny little Company is already 1 of the top 10 land owners in the game, what will happen when companies are a hundred plus man strong and decide they want to start taking land. If you can control so much with a small crew. What will the megas do?

And it never ceases to amaze me it's the ones with large holdings, some of which were obtained in first couple of days when alot of us couldn't even log in, that say the system is fine. Cool then you support a server wipe and give everyone a fair shot. Heck, it's EA after all 🤣

Edited by Huck Finnley

1 hour ago, Huck Finnley said:

Don't misunderstand here, I have no interest in owning an island, or even part of one. What I'm saying is the core of the mechanics forces us into owning or settling some kind of land. If pirating is supposed to be the focal point of the game, why does land ownership have to take up so much of your time in the game. Again, differing of opinions, you may be happy with a pirate themed ark, I paid for a game that was advertised as a pirate MMO, that forces me to spend way to much time on dealing with and issues. You lobby your $25 and I'll be happy to lobby mine. And right now, I'm with a vast customer base that feels at this point it's way too land focused and not enough pirating. I'm happy basing off my ship, just give me more ability to do so. And I have introduced ays in this discussion

I feel like even the most sea hardened pirates still had to sail to port IRL! There are now NPCs you can barter with for goods. I’m not sure how much more help you need? You can build a ship and never return to land assuming you dont wreck the ship. 

22 minutes ago, Huck Finnley said:

I beg to differ plenty of other people where just given land in the first couple of days, all they had to do was sail thier raft out to the open Sea and start dropping flags, no land was claimed at release, all first come first serve. There are plenty of people who wish they had your problem. Gosh, stop working on my base or building my ship to stop a claim theft. There are literally thousands of people who have to go out, find land that's stealable, and cross thier fingers. Which oftens envoles days of scouring grids, and early on on rafts that could only sail with the wind. And when most of those people gave up and tried the lawless route, little of that in hospitable locations was actually left. So for some, a hundred hours in the game, are just getting a chance to actually start playing the game.

There are a few different types of people who play EA games. Personally, those of us that persisted through the network issues and supported the game i think deserve something. I can promise people who went crazy placing flags everywhere without being a larger company will lose their claims eventually. 

Its not a perfect system. Im sure we will see changes and wipes over the next two years of wipes and thats ok. 

2 hours ago, Dappypally said:

Nope, I don’t agree with it one bit.. in PVE it’s literally pointless and there is no need for it. 

So some greedy kid, managed to sail out of Freeport the day of release and claimed a whole island, this is not only selfish but the player didn’t earn it either. 

Why should we have to pay tax on something someone else got for free? If you look, check the amounts of materials you get with 0% land tax compared to 30%. 

Its ridiculous.. you get like 14 fibre a plant with 30% tax.. would take days to build yourself up while they benefit for something they’ve not paid for in the first place. 

The land system needs to go, or be limited in PVE and a server wipe needs to happen. 

Some greedy kid? I understand your frustration, but a lot of us coordinated and persisted through rough waters ( network issues ). I agree it was an immensly flawed start, but I’m happy they didnt auction off land prior to release. I cant think of how else they could have gone about the start. 

As far as taxes go. I can attest there were virtually no point in having it prior to the rentable land patch. Since that patch however weve gotten about a brigs worth of mats. Its been great. So i think giving the option to have non-company members settle lands is great. Even with the possiblity of trolls building pillars on our lands. 

Edited by Sighdawg

20 minutes ago, Sighdawg said:

feel like even the most sea hardened pirates still had to sail to port IRL! There are now NPCs you can barter with for goods. I’m not sure how much more help you need? You can build a ship and never return to land assuming you dont wreck the ship. 

I didn't say I need help, I do see how the mechanics are flawed. Trade ships are not pirating. And the mechanics there are flawed as well, although they were just introduce and will most likely be sorted out. As well as additional piraty content I'm sure. I'm saying, in it's current form, the game land claim system is more the main attraction and pirating in PVE isn't even a side show, it's more like the concession stand or the merch tent. And I agree, pirates made port if they lived that long, Which is why I introduce ideas in this the thread and others to give it more that feel and still giving us a more ship based option. At what point did I say I can't play help me? Don't just assume because I'll debate what I think are issues with the game as my inability to work the current mechanics. I debate them because I see people who do have issues constantly getting bashed. And because if we are just going to cater to the Ark crowd, then it's truly just an Ark mod. There has to be some flexibility to allow new customers to get into the game if you truly want to create the next big MMO.

Keep in mind without customers, you the player suffers as the devs get cut back to a skeleton crew and have to churm out new content at a significantly reduced rate. 

Edited by Huck Finnley