Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Contesting Claims - Impossible?

I found a claim from an inactive user with nothing built on it but a little firepit and I'm able to take it, awesome! But, since it seems to be their only claim it will take 6 hours to take.

...Okay. That's rough, but I can do stuff around the house while I afk here and wait it out... except...

Anyone that runs by contests the DECLAIM and it refreshes the timer back to 6 hours. Someone running from a wolf, hunting, or just passing by, it can't be taken.

I understand claim (vs DECLAIM) contesting, but an rando preventing you from declaiming a high traffic area... it's just not gonna happen, right?

Is this how it is intended to work? I don't think there are very many spots in the world with not a soul running by for 6 hours. Maybe the arctic. 😥 

• Like 4

It's just another poorly thought out game mechanic, just remember...it's EA, so you can't expect the devs to have thought anything through yet.

• Haha 2

Oof, got it down to 2 hours out of the 6. Someone ran in, killed a sheep, harvested it and left. The declaim was completely undone. Thats... Thats terrible.

Theoretically a declaim should only be reset by the original claimant, and should have a combat option to fight for the claim if both parties agree.  We'll see where the devs take it at some point.

• Like 1

Only the host company contesting the declaim is how I thought it should work, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I suppose if it was the host here it would reset and not be claimable at all. Sadly it really has been just anyone who happens by. 

1 hour ago, Hambo said:

Theoretically a declaim should only be reset by the original claimant, and should have a combat option to fight for the claim if both parties agree.  We'll see where the devs take it at some point.

If this would be true then would just put multiple crew npcs with puckle guns to turn such duelers into cheese. Don't wanna fight for own home in PvE. Also 6 hours is not alot, what if someone went for a full day journey, or went to sleep or left game on the other side of the map and can't use beds to teleport? Few days ago was away for over 10 hours from home to gather resources, we have to be punished for exploring the game?

There is a (at least seems to work most of the time) 3 day timer that prevents declaiming if you visit your own claims. That means you can put your stuff away, fast travel to a bed, causing the timer to reset, then fast travel back and go about your business.

In this situation this person hasn't logged on in several days and has nothing on the claim itself.

And 6 hours is rough, but the issue is any random person (not the owner) resets the 6 hours back to 6 hours, aaaannnyone.

Edited by Vin

11 minutes ago, Vin said:

There is a (at least seems to work most of the time) 3 day timer that prevents declaiming if you visit your own claims. That means you can put your stuff away, fast travel to a bed, causing the timer to reset, then fast travel back and go about your business.

In this situation this person hasn't logged on in several days and has nothing on the claim itself.

And 6 hours is rough, but the issue is any random person (not the owner) resets the 6 hours back to 6 hours, aaaannnyone.

We see..., well, IF it works that way, then cool, we put the axe down. If they werent for 3 days on and can claim that flag, they propably didn't change also their building stance which is by default that everyone can build, maybe build a wall arround the claim (press H to see borders of it), tho that's a bit of investment. If don't need to stand there, could always try and lure few alphas there so ppl don't go near it.

Actually yeah that was the approach I ended up taking, hah!

I put up a few deterring walls from walking up this way, but it can't be fully walled since its along the side of a mountain and out into the water. A few lions and wolves chased me in and i'm just parked here up the mountain face doing things around the house and checking back on occasion. Over here playing AFK champion. 😂

• Haha 1