a1rum

Speed ship

Hi there!

Does anyone know which sails for schooner/brig are best in speed

Schooner

2xMedium  vs 1Big+1Small vs 4xSmall vs 2Small+1Medium

Brig

3Big vs 5Medium vs 2Big+1Mid+1Small vs 1Big+3Mid

On schooner one big speed outruns 2 medium speed easily. You could add a small speed to it if you trying to get every last bit but it doesnt add much. 

On schooner small sail (i'm using handling) is extremely good for maneuvering. It won't pull you any significant way forward but allow much faster turning, practically in place. Especially helpful while you want to maneuver around many anchored ships or need to turn the ship around.
One big speed sail is totally enough for sailing IMHO.

To get the most out of your sails, I believe it’s best to use up as much of your allotted sail points as possible with whatever configuration you use. For example if you have 4 points available, and use a large which takes up 2.7 if I recall and small for 1, you’re totaling 3.7 overall. You could use 4 small sails for max, but do you want to use that space and use that much crew, assuming you’re putting crew on the sails. The rest is deciding weight, speed, or handling.

If pure speed is what you want, Schooner with 1 Large speed and 1 Small speed is basically the fastest ship configuration in the game, it's absurd, you can outrun SotD even in low-wind conditions. 

I personally switch the small speed for handling, the speed loss is negligible but it is a noticeable improvement for handling, especially for precision maneuvering at low speeds like docking.

Edited by RyuujinZERO