Sign in to follow this  
Mortimer McMaron

Nazis in Atlas! Action against is needed!

The main problem I see here is the nationality. I assume the Operator to be German. And in germany we usually tend to see the ghosts of the past - especially the Nazi ghosts - all around the corner and are taught we all owe a cumulative guilt to the world. 

A way of thinking that rather was revived from the middle ages than being modern. In no modern law and ethics, consiidered to be civilized, the guilt of the predecessors is passed down to their children, grand children and so on. Except for the Nazi era.

I personally look at it as a part of history, that should have taught to keep an eye open and to not let it happen again. But overreacting and accusing someone of being something without knowing, if he really is what he's accused of, well, this sure the way! I admit one may suspect that due to the vessels name. But it still isn't hard proof. 

Every mentality ending on ism like Nazism, Islamism, Communism goes to extremes. But like one stated earlier SS Stalin wouldn't have raised that much interest. 

So, what is it we should learn about it? Pointing our fingers and shout "He is a Nazi"? I think not. What if this guy really isn't a Nazi? What if he just looked for a word and used SS as sailing vessel and Buchenwald as it's actual meaning - a forest? What if this guy never has heard about a concentration camp named Buchenwald? 

Assuming everybody knows about German history, especially in detail, well, do not take yourself toooo important. In my experience, the rest of the world really does not care that much as we do.

Maybe he is a Nazi, maybe not. Maybe you feel offended, maybe not. The question remains, discrimination is the basis of all -isms. Right now who is discriminatiing whom?

Ok, you got a screenshot, and reported and even pointed your virtual finger at  him. You are morally embarrassed, ok, that's fine. If he is a Nazi, he will probably not belong to the educational elite. So what do you think he cares about your moral finger? Do you think just the name of a vessel, that may be interpreted as a concentration camp, but also the other way around will lead to a ban? Nope it won't. Not unless there is more indication than this. That's all I am saying.

@Glombo glad you didn't call her SS Eva, could be interpreted as being a fan of the Third Reich. Btw, I gotta tell my daughter not to play with this 6 year old Nazi girl named Eva anymore. 

Guys, please, stop chasing GHOSTS. The world's spooky enough already.

Assuming based on a ship name is silly, did they actually do anything? Exploiting, greefing, racial slurs? 

30 minutes ago, Insegt said:

In no modern law and ethics, consiidered to be civilized, the guilt of the predecessors is passed down to their children, grand children and so on. Except for the Nazi era.

Don't think for a moment that you have an exclusive on being blamed for the actions of your ancestors. A woman here in the states recently went off the deep end because a large hobby and crafting chain started selling real, dried cotton bolls still on the stem.

https://nypost.com/2017/09/18/woman-freaks-out-over-hobby-lobbys-raw-cotton-display/

Edited by Jean Lafitte

2 hours ago, Rapier2012 said:

I mean, asking Germany to redefine words because some people used them badly is a bit silly overall. You have a smaller point with Auschwitz, as its just a proper noun. But with something like buchenwald, your basically saying they need to come up with a new word to refer to a beech tree. Its a bit silly when you look at it that way.

No it’s not. buchenwald was also a well known concentration camp. Just ask yourself what’s  the likelihood that the company in question named the boat after the German word for beech tree vs naming it after the far more widely known and provactive use of that word as the name of a place where people were systematically butchered becasuse of their heritage. Insisting we pretend it might be the former when we all know based on common knowledge it’s the latter is the part that’s silly.

Fortunately, this whole arguement is moot. I for one am entirely comfortable letting the Op report this under the code of conduct and leaving it to the GM’s to sort out, which is as it should be. As a side note would anyone care to wager dubloons with me as to whether the GM’s will rule the name is just the German word for beech tree and therefore not offensive?

No?

• Like 1

This is normal toxicity level ingame. 
If you dont like what they say or promote then just stay away from them or destroy them easy as that.

Its also a german word referring to a specific forest, as well as a song and album. I consider it equally as likely that it could be any of the options. Considering I didnt even know it WAS a concentration camp until this thread, I might have used it had i known of the word. Alongside SS Tryhard and SS Scloop, it could be regarded the same way and me have been none the wiser.

Edited by Rapier2012

1 minute ago, J.Dawson said:

This is normal toxicity level ingame. 
If you dont like what they say or promote then just stay away from them or destroy them easy as that.

Because that's not how people work.  Today it's, 'if you don't like something, fuck it up for everyone else.'

2 hours ago, Percieval said:

I think OP’s problem isn’t even the SS one; more of the SS in combination with concentration camps. SS could also stand for Secret Service by some american boys. 

Right. If someone calls himself Germania like the SS Special Forces and the planned capital city of the nazis, named his Ship SS Buchenwald, it is totaly clear for every german what his intention is. And sure, thats just my opinion.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mortimer McMaron said:

Right. If someone calls himself Germania like the SS Special Forces and the planned capital city of the nazis, named his Ship SS Buchenwald, it is totaly clear for every german what his intention is. And sure, thats just my opinion.

Yes that’s what I said already. 

SS is Sailing Ship or Steam Ship (I am a 20yr Navy Veteran)

So you cannot get upset by SS.

But you can get upset by the name of the ship, since that was a concentration camp

But most of all, if you feel they are violating the rules of the game, which does prohibit such things, then FILE A REPORT with the links, no need to come here posting.

https://www.playatlas.com/index.php?/support-tickets/

Edited by archaegeo

1 hour ago, Jean Lafitte said:

Don't think for a moment that you have an exclusive on being blamed for the actions of your ancestors. A woman here in the states recently went off the deep end because a large hobby and crafting chain started selling real, dried cotton bolls still on the stem.

https://nypost.com/2017/09/18/woman-freaks-out-over-hobby-lobbys-raw-cotton-display/

Wouldn't it be nice if people would just get past what happened so many years before? I always hoped mankind has evolved and we no longer live in the past, but remember what happened, learned our lessons and move on. Well, I guess, in some cases like this cotton and assumed Nazi debate, all hope is lost.....

28 minutes ago, Insegt said:

Wouldn't it be nice if people would just get past what happened so many years before? I always hoped mankind has evolved and we no longer live in the past, but remember what happened, learned our lessons and move on. Well, I guess, in some cases like this cotton and assumed Nazi debate, all hope is lost.....

As a german i can tell ya, we still get punished for our history. And other use that history to keep us in a def stance. I know peeps who are way much younger then me and they feel guilty and thats by purpose from our Gouverment and others. I am tired of it...I had nothing to do with this shit.

Edited by Chett

6 minutes ago, Chett said:

As a german i can tell ya, we still get punished for our history. And other use that history to keep us in a def stance. I know peeps who are way much younger then me and they feel guilty and thats by purpose from our Gouverment and others. I am tired of it...I had nothing to do with this shit.

Now guess my nationality. Even my little ones were told in school (Elementary/Grundschule) they should feel guilty for it. Heck, this gotta stop! Yes, it's horrible what happened back then and yes it needs to be membered. But this is just overreacting!

If I want to call my ship SS Neuengamme I will the heck do so! Even if some wise guys might interpret it as Nazi! Neuengamme was a concentration camp. There is a monument remembering this situated there. This monument is also surrended by family houses. Respectful and honored businesses and supermarkets. And Neuengamme is part of Hamburg. A part I lived in, so, don't dare anyone call Hamburgers Nazis!

This whole thread seems to be brought up by a German, that simply feels offended, because of feeling guilty for something I assume he didn't do. I assume he wasn't even born back then. So much to collective guilt. My ass!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Insegt said:

This whole thread seems to be brought up by a German, that simply feels offended, because of feeling guilty for something I assume he didn't do. I assume he wasn't even born back then. So much to collective guilt. My ass!

This might be the case.

Edited by Chett

Nazi this, Nazi that.....stfu.

I'm sick of the wannabe heroes who want a pat on the back "oooh, ooohh, ooooh, ooohh, look, look, look, I found a racist, I found a Nazi, I found a bad guy, oooh, ooh, look, aren't you proud of me?  I found one, I found one! look, look!"

It's true though, if the ship's name was NKVD Joseph Stalin (a man who killed 3 times as many innocent people as Hitler) then he wouldn't have said a word because he hasn't been brainwashed to do as such - and we can blame that on our communist liberal mass media.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mortimer McMaron said:

Since when is Trump responsible for the mass murder of millions of people? 

SJWs

• Like 1

A game where you pillage plunder and murder is fine but when someone associates that with real life they are evil. Are you going to be outraged if someone names their ship Santa Maria? Or is it only offensive if You personally find it so?

Just an incident of finding stuff to trigger over. You can't hold present generations responsible for the deeds of their ancestors.

The biggest problem with the gaming industry today, and highlighted perfectly by the responses in this thread, are the amount of incel alt-right racists that have inundated the community over the last 10-15 years. Now, I'm not one to be offended by things or report stuff like this in-game. These are just petulant children trying to get a rise out of people and are best ignored. There's a raft parked down the beach from me called "The *** Nog" and I can't be bothered to report it despite it obviously being a racist name. However, unlike some people here, I wouldn't think of defending such a name or saying it should be allowed if someone else WAS offended by it. Why? Because I'm not a whiny little racist that thinks such behavior is OK.

As for the topic at hand here, that's clearly a reference to a concentration camp in Nazi Germany. Just like a ship named the SS Auschwitz wouldn't be a reference to the original town the concentration camp was built in, that's not a use of the German word for a type of wood. Those are just excuses. Such offensive behavior is against the rules and should be dealt with. There isn't really much room for debate there. 

Just now, IsilithTehroth said:

A game where you pillage plunder and murder is fine but when someone associates that with real life they are evil. Are you going to be outraged if someone names their ship Santa Maria? Or is it only offensive if You personally find it so?

Just an incident of finding stuff to trigger over. You can't hold present generations responsible for the deeds of their ancestors.

Columbus didn't intentionally exterminate six million people because of their religious belief and the Santa Maria isn't the name of a Nazi death camp. Seriously, how hard is that to understand? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Okay I will add my two cents to this conversation!

Developers need to take a stand against BLATANT griefing,toxicity and obvious hate symbology!

And Gamer's needs to grow a backbone and not cry foul anytime they can translate something into hate.

The Swastika <--- Is clear and obvious especially when Black on a White back ground with the red and black highlights of Nazi Germany.

However when you see it in Red and the legs are inverted then you need to step back and take a breath.  However this won't happen usually because there are NOT enough

informed members of society and any swastika no matter its origin will typically be banned on an online game and while it may not be fair to  hindu, jain, bengali and so many others that used this symbol stand for peace and prosperity.  I think sane people of those origins understand why the Less - Informed mass and there symbology often gets tied in with the Commonly recognized Icon for Hate.

Now lets transfer this concept of Commonly recognized hateful symbology into this thread!

Is Adolf Hitler commonly recognized as the man who caused all the atrocity's of World War II.  Yes

As such his name, his likeness should be treated much in the same was as the Swastika. 

But was Joseph Stalin COMMONLY recognized as a Mass murder on par with Adolf Hitler.  No he is not COMMONLY that way and is a perfect example of:

a Topic that Gamer's need to grow a backbone and not cry foul over.  

Now lets apply the logic to this thread specifically to the OP post.

SS - Is MOST commonly recognized as Steam Ship a Prefix that was given to most of all commercial shipping on the waters between the time of Nazi Germany and Now.

And when people see SS they will immediately think of a ship more times then not.  Was Gilligan and the Skipper secret Nazi police???  NOPE...

Now as for the Schutstaffel this is now another perfect example of the problem.

If you see a Lightning-bolt style SS then yes it most indeed raises to the level of the Swastika and Adolf Hitler for being a symbol of hate.  But you can't make that style of text in the game!  Not without an image, so if they did indeed make a custom image then there might be some credence to this argument but for the most part it falls under the category of gamers need to grow a back ground!

I ask the OP is he gets as upset over Games Using Panzer Lehr, 2nd Panzer Division, 3rd Panzer Division inside of there games!!!  Those are the three largest SS Divisions but again we can only hate what we know!  And most people don't know that...

As for names of Concentration camps this one is very iffy!  

The most well known camp that people will recognize the name of is Auschwitz in fact the OP compared Buchenwald to it because of the very issue that the other camps never garnered the same amount of Infamy for whatever reason.  So the OP knows very well himself that most people don't know about:

Buchenwald, Belzec, Chelmno, Dachau, Ebensee, Flossenberg, the list continues on...

So my message to the OP is grow a pair, you are at this point simply feeding the trolls.  Do I believe the people sailing the SS Buchenwald in this game are Trolls, most definitely!

Report them to the Dev's and move on. 

However at some point we have to draw the common sense line in the sand, and grow a backbone, if your smart enough to understand hidden hate messages then your smart enough to know they are wrong and to ignore them and not give them any power bye not recognizing them!!!

3 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

The biggest problem with the gaming industry today, and highlighted perfectly by the responses in this thread, are the amount of incel alt-right racists that have inundated the community over the last 10-15 years. Now, I'm not one to be offended by things or report stuff like this in-game. These are just petulant children trying to get a rise out of people and are best ignored. There's a raft parked down the beach from me called "The *** Nog" and I can't be bothered to report it despite it obviously being a racist name. However, unlike some people here, I wouldn't think of defending such a name or saying it should be allowed if someone else WAS offended by it. Why? Because I'm not a whiny little racist that thinks such behavior is OK.

As for the topic at hand here, that's clearly a reference to a concentration camp in Nazi Germany. Just like a ship named the SS Auschwitz wouldn't be a reference to the original town the concentration camp was built in, that's not a use of the German word for a type of wood. Those are just excuses. Such offensive behavior is against the rules and should be dealt with. There isn't really much room for debate there. 

Columbus didn't intentionally exterminate six million people because of their religious belief and the Santa Maria isn't the name of a Nazi death camp. Seriously, how hard is that to understand? 

Yes, the spanish armadas did kill millions of people because they didn't have Christian beliefs. Next time at least research the point you are arguing against.

6 minutes ago, IsilithTehroth said:

It is about the fact that people can be offended by this. People are still offended or hurt by everything along the holocaust, all that OP and some people in this thread are asking is any kind of respect towards that. Anything related to holocaust has been bannable in any game I have played in my life and I wouldn't understand why this one not. Personally, I'm not offended by it nor am I ever when it comes to the holocaust even though my family have lost people because of it, but I can understand OP's and others their concerns. 

Edited by Percieval

Just now, Percieval said:

It is about the fact that people can be offended by this. People are still offended or hurt by everything along the holocaust, all that OP and some people in this thread are asking is any kind of respect towards that. Anything related to holocaust has been bannable in any game I have played in my life and I wouldn't understand why this one not. Personally, I'm not offended by it nor am I ever when it comes to the holocaust even though I have lost people because of it, but I can understand OP's and others their concerns. 

How are You personally hurt by the holocaust? Did you sit in the camps? Were you subject to torment because of your religious belief? Did Jesus piss in your bagel-O cereal brand? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IsilithTehroth said:

Yes, the spanish armadas did kill millions of people because they didn't have Christian beliefs. Next time at least research the point you are arguing against.

lol wow, someone needs a history lesson. Columbus was dead for almost 100 years before the Spanish Armada was formed (and Columbus himself was Italian)... and its sole purpose was the invasion of England, not killing non-Christians. Horrible try. Think a little harder though and I'm sure you'll come up with another attempt to defend Nazi sympathy.